Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Food

Post by JasonL »

Best gumbo I’ve made. Roux was some bacon dripping plus Kroger duck fat in a jar (???!!) 1c to 1c flour. 45 minutes cook to dark caramel not quite mocha. Tons of aromatics - 2 onions, 2 bell peppers, 2 jalapeños, 4celery ribs, 1 head garlic. Had real chicken stock this time. Chicken, andouille, and lump crab. Frozen okra (it’s better). No file. Add bacon back at the end.

My cayenne powder was basically flavorless so added seeds from peppers to get more heat. It’s really good. The fat does matter. The chicken stock does matter.

Warren

Post by Warren »

A cup of fat/flour??? That's a fuckton roux.
what does "no file" mean?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Remember that dark roux don't actually thicken very much. They're there at least as much for flavor.

And one of the traditional ways to thicken gumbo is with filé powder. (It's basically an okra substitute if I recall correctly.)

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

File powder is ground sassafrass leaves. It’s a thickener. One of the gumbo categorizations is okra type vs file type.

I find it hard to make gumbo in small batches due to the time it takes to build a dark roux. I want fat in some amount of depth so it can be stirred and not burn flour over the course of 40 mins

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JasonL wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 08:18
File powder is ground sassafrass leaves. It’s a thickener. One of the gumbo categorizations is okra type vs file type.

I find it hard to make gumbo in small batches due to the time it takes to build a dark roux. I want fat in some amount of depth so it can be stirred and not burn flour over the course of 40 mins
I sometimes add okra to green chili as a thickener, which is SUPER not traditional but the flavor works so I still do it sometimes, if I don't want to use masa or harina.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

:shock:
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Did that guy boil his steak? Fuck dude, just go vegan at that point.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I thought it might be like pork or something? Please?

Highway

Post by Highway »

Based on the color, it could have been sous vide, but based on the stringiness in the picture, it looks like just overcooked shoe leather.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD »

Even if that's pork, it looks overdone.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

looks like chuck roast. definitely overcooked.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Yeah sous vide at 212 maybe

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

He's completely unapologetic about it in subsequent comments, claims it was tender, but might also be trolling.
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 11.49.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 11.49.39 AM.png (57.3 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
yeah if I had to eat that I'd be dousing it in a gallon of gravy as well.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Yorkshire pudding is delicious but damn if I'd trust that guy to make it.

Except... they and gravy both include lots of plant-based ingredients, so once again you're coming up short of an all-meat diet there pal.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I feel bad for the guy now. He's British this is punching down.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I mean christ even if they like well done you could at least put a fucking sear on it. Only the inside is supposed to be grey and lifeless in well done, not the outside, too.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

British cuisine has come a long way, but they still like to ruin their steaks.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I did laugh at the comment that said, "British people eat steak like they're in prison"
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I redid that apple-bacon bake with more apples and bacon than the first time. I made it with "jazz" apples (the only variety available in that store which were listed as being "good for baking") -- whoa, jazz apples are really tasty. (After putting the chopped-up bits of raw apple on the bottom of the baking dish, I had maybe half an apple's worth left in the bowl, which I ate rather than throw away -- yeah, worlds better than any breed of apple with the misleading word "delicious" in its name.)

Also, the apple bake was very tasty with enough apples chopped small enough to get some in every bite.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Someone on twitter was talking up Cosmic Crisp apples the other day.

I saw them at the grocery and bought one. It was really super good! Unfortunately it was like four dollars for an apple. But it was really good!

Highway

Post by Highway »

Jadagul wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 17:00

I saw them at the grocery and bought one. It was really super good! Unfortunately it was like four dollars for an apple. But it was really good!
I'm interested in trying them. We'll see if the price comes down, because it's supposed to be significantly more hardy than Honeycrisp, but right now it's new.

I also found that I like Pazazz apples this past fall. They sold out pretty fast, tho.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren »

We're strictly Fuji.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Highway wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 17:47
Jadagul wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 17:00

I'm interested in trying them. We'll see if the price comes down, because it's supposed to be significantly more hardy than Honeycrisp, but right now it's new.

I also found that I like Pazazz apples this past fall. They sold out pretty fast, tho.
Yeah. I figured four dollars for curiosity was reasonable---I pay more than that for a drink often enough---but I don't know that I want to be eating one every day at that price.

But if they drop a couple dollars I will keep them stocked all the damn time.

(I actually got mine for $2 because they couldn't find it in the system and just charged it as "an apple" even though I told them they were undercharging me. But I'm not going to try to exploit that.)

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Good video on Marco Pierre White.

https://youtu.be/RykewR-BdzA
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Last night the special at our Mexican restaurant was Cow Tongue Tacos.
They were fine.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT