Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: Food

Post by Highway » 04 Mar 2019, 11:23

JasonL wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 11:02
Had a woman who cooks pretty authentic mexican tell me that white people mexican recipes use a lot more cumin than actual mexican recipes. I will say, the way I learned the flavor profile it's pretty cumin heavy. I'm wondering now if I'm selecting white guy recipes or if she had a regional experience within Mexico where it's less common than other places.
Is it cumin instead of other stuff, or just 'add more cumin and leave the rest of the spices the same'? Our recipes are pretty cumin heavy as well (on top of generally more homemade chili powder as well), and I find that a lot of the restaurants we go to are a lot less, to the point where they tend to seem just bland. But my wife's not going to claim that her recipes are 'authentic', just that they're spicy. That's where I think 'authenticity' becomes a lot less important, when personal tastes diverge from it. Plus, authenticity is, at its core, an appeal to authority argument, and since you're literally in a taste judgment, it really doesn't matter.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 04 Mar 2019, 11:25

JasonL wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 11:02
Had a woman who cooks pretty authentic mexican tell me that white people mexican recipes use a lot more cumin than actual mexican recipes. I will say, the way I learned the flavor profile it's pretty cumin heavy. I'm wondering now if I'm selecting white guy recipes or if she had a regional experience within Mexico where it's less common than other places.
Tex-Mex is better than authentic Mexican, as is New Mex-Mex. Cal-Mex sucks worse than regular Mexican. For Tex-Mex, just buy Robb Walsh's Tex-Mex Cookbook and run with it.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Mar 2019, 15:21

I disagree about tex mex being better than mexican in general. I'm not an authenticity snob in any real way except I think there are defining regional flavor profiles I use as reference points - "tuscan blah blah" is blah blah with olive oil, parsley, lemon and garlic, korean blah blah is sesame oil, chilies, something fermented, etc.

I think it's 100% valid to modify these profiles as much as one wants but I like to access them in a mental index card as a starting point. I'd like to know if my basic understanding of mexican regional flavor profiles in the area around mexico city ish is off by a core ingredient.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Mar 2019, 20:21

JasonL wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 15:21
I disagree about tex mex being better than mexican in general. I'm not an authenticity snob in any real way except I think there are defining regional flavor profiles I use as reference points - "tuscan blah blah" is blah blah with olive oil, parsley, lemon and garlic, korean blah blah is sesame oil, chilies, something fermented, etc.

I think it's 100% valid to modify these profiles as much as one wants but I like to access them in a mental index card as a starting point. I'd like to know if my basic understanding of mexican regional flavor profiles in the area around mexico city ish is off by a core ingredient.
You're a man of the wold squire. Why don't you take a culinary tour of Mexico. I also understand that they are doing interesting things with grapes down there. Would be worth looking into if only for snobbery bonus points.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 05 Mar 2019, 06:17

To me, there's a big difference in Mexican food from place to place anyway. Even just within states, but especially north to south. You want a good rant sometime, ask a Norteño why those Chilangos call things quesadillas even though they have no cheese. Pinches chilangos locos jodidos.

dhex

Post by dhex » 05 Mar 2019, 06:39

How do you have a quesadilla without queso?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Mar 2019, 09:09

Mexico City won't give you cheese unless you ask for it, or so my wife tells me. Quesadilla is just a folded flat thing with fillings and fillings can be anything. In general, the assumption of cheese is not made in most Mexico City offerings.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 05 Mar 2019, 15:01

I've been told that that's actually cultural influence from America. We started selling "cheese quesadillas", which eventually made their way back to Mexico City as the "quesadilla con queso". I would guess that this implies the existence of a quesadilla sin queso, and here we are.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Mar 2019, 17:39

Jadagul wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 15:01
I've been told that that's actually cultural influence from America. We started selling "cheese quesadillas", which eventually made their way back to Mexico City as the "quesadilla con queso". I would guess that this implies the existence of a quesadilla sin queso, and here we are.
Fuckin' gringos, man.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Mar 2019, 17:58

Jadagul wrote:
Emphasis added.

I was gobsmacked by the idea, but googling and google-translating (which is getting really good with Spanish), it's even stranger. "Quesadilla" sin modificador has a definition apparently as argued in Mexico as "barbeque" is in the US. In Mexico City, apparently, cheese is completely optional, while other parts of the country clutch their pearls over the idea.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Mar 2019, 18:28

Until reading that comic, I did think perhaps quesadilla was not actually etymologically related to queso (the same way hamburger is not related to ham).
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 05 Mar 2019, 19:40

Eric the .5b wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 17:58
Jadagul wrote:
Emphasis added.

I was gobsmacked by the idea, but googling and google-translating (which is getting really good with Spanish), it's even stranger. "Quesadilla" sin modificador has a definition apparently as argued in Mexico as "barbeque" is in the US. In Mexico City, apparently, cheese is completely optional, while other parts of the country clutch their pearls over the idea.
The summer before my senior year of college, I did a research program in San Antonio, and one of the mentors grew up in Mexico City. I got a crash course in Authentic Mexico City Mexican food and also explanations of a bunch of things like that.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Mar 2019, 05:00

Kolohe wrote:Until reading that comic, I did think perhaps quesadilla was not actually etymologically related to queso (the same way hamburger is not related to ham).
How much baby donkey meat is in a burrito?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Mar 2019, 05:06

Thoughts on making stews and soups in a pressure cooker?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 06 Mar 2019, 06:09

Mo wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 05:00
How much baby donkey meat is in a burrito?
Depends on where you are. Sometimes it's better not to ask too many questions.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Mar 2019, 06:20

Jadagul wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 19:40
The summer before my senior year of college, I did a research program in San Antonio, and one of the mentors grew up in Mexico City. I got a crash course in Authentic Mexico City Mexican food and also explanations of a bunch of things like that.
Oh, wow. What year? My college career was at Trinity U.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 06 Mar 2019, 13:43

Jadagul wrote:
I've been told that that's actually cultural influence from America.
My wife (Costa Rican) complains about americans feeling the need to slather everything in cheese. Which is one of those things I never noticed because it's the water we swim in, but yeah let's face it. Then again, they eat potato chips as a legit side with pasta or arroz con pollo, so maybe she shouldn't be throwing stones.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 Mar 2019, 16:34

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 06:20
Jadagul wrote:
I was there in, uh, 2007? I was on the board and posted about it at the time. And yeah, I was at Trinity.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Mar 2019, 22:29

Jadagul wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 16:34
Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 06:20
Jadagul wrote:
I was there in, uh, 2007? I was on the board and posted about it at the time. And yeah, I was at Trinity.
Ah, I dimly recalled someone else here had mentioned going to Trinity, but not who. I was just an undergrad in the mid-90s.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Mar 2019, 09:25

dbcooper wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 05:06
The only adjustment I make for the pressure cooker is time. You can get stew in half an hour. You can get baby food in two.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Mar 2019, 09:35

Warren wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 09:25
dbcooper wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 05:06
The only adjustment I make for the pressure cooker is time. You can get stew in half an hour. You can get baby food in two.
Thanks, Warren. Any risk of burning meat on the bottom of the vessel?

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Mar 2019, 09:50

Not really, no. If you sear meat in the pressure cooker first, just pick it up after you put the liquid in.

We've made pot roast in our instant pot a few times with no problem. Be a bit careful when you take it out, tho. Sometimes the liquid might hit a hot spot under some of the solids.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Mar 2019, 10:14

Highway wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 09:50
Not really, no. If you sear meat in the pressure cooker first, just pick it up after you put the liquid in.

We've made pot roast in our instant pot a few times with no problem. Be a bit careful when you take it out, tho. Sometimes the liquid might hit a hot spot under some of the solids.
Thanks dude.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Mar 2019, 10:16

Does anyone use online cold food delivery of any sort? I use Porter Road as a butcher sometimes.

I find myself anxious about what to do with the gel ice packs. They will very quickly take over your life if you order with some regularity. I'd like to be able to re-use them but I don't have a chest freezer or any real use for them to be honest. They can't go down the drain but it feels really odd to drain the slime into a garbage bag.

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Mar 2019, 11:35

You can't just throw the whole ice pack out?