Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dead_elvis

Re: Food

Post by dead_elvis » 09 Jan 2019, 23:11

Finished up the ham we had in the freezer from our half-pig. Reminded again ham doesn't have to be a bland fluffy meat-marshmallow. It *can* be delicious and meaty.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Jan 2019, 16:05

Bought "bread pakora" (sp?) from an Indian supermarket's hot-food table. It's basically a spicy potato samosa, only with samosas, the filling is wrapped in a dumpling and deep-fried, whereas for bread pakora, the filling is put into a sandwich, which is then deep-fried. Spicy enough to make my nose run and eyes water within three mouthfuls, and inspire full-body sweating before I'd finished half the sandwich. But damn, it tasted good.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jan 2019, 10:46

Why am I eating my first pomelo in my 50s? Pomelo is the best citrus!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Jan 2019, 11:04

The best? It’s ok. Better than grapefruit.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jan 2019, 11:15

JasonL wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 11:04
The best? It’s ok. Better than grapefruit.
Yeah. Grapefruit was the best until now.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jan 2019, 14:54

Shrimp, avocado, and pomelo ceviche
Ceviche.jpg
Ceviche.jpg (189.4 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Jan 2019, 19:13

Made Korean fried chicken today. First time I'd ever deep fried anything. Sauce is neat. Cleanup is a hassle. But overall good.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Jan 2019, 20:42

Warren wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 11:15
Grapefruit was the best until now.
:shock: I just don't know what to say to that, Jadawarren.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Jan 2019, 21:28

Leinenkugel's grapefruit shandy is the market.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 28 Jan 2019, 09:55

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jan 2019, 10:15

Warren, that's a really good idea I'm annoyed I haven't tried.

For shrimp ceviche - even real deal places do a par boil to get them pink before doing the acid bath. Doesn't hurt either way but if you want that color that's how people get it. It's the only seafood I par boil in a ceviche.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jan 2019, 16:51

Serious question: I know there some sort of genetic thing which determines whether you like cilantro -- some people say it's delicious, others say it tastes like soap, and I gather you can tell who's who just by looking at a certain snippet of their DNA. Is there something similar with grapefruit? Because I've tried grapefruit before, hoping/expecting to like it (as I like citrus in general, except for the obviously too-sour-to-eat-straight stuff like lemons), and every time I've tried it, it was horribly bitter. Not even "bitter, with potential" -- like, I'd guess the first person who ever tried a lemon made a face, but if that person knew about the existence of something very sweet, he could maybe think "Hmm, well, this sour thing might actually be tasty IF you cut it with some sweet stuff" ... but grapefruit is just vile, IMO.

For those of you who like it: what is is about the taste you like? Is is a sweet thing, or is it tangy, or bitter but somehow in a "good" way like a really high-qualify coffee, or what?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jan 2019, 17:03

Wine tasting analysis here.

There's a difference between bitter and sour. Sour is the presence of acidity - like a lemon or vinegar. It has the effect of eliciting saliva and you feel it in your jaws in extremes. Bitter is like black coffee and greens like kale. It is unrelated to the presence of acid but is connected to a largish set of compounds found in vegetables.

A grapefruit has considerable acidity in the juice but gets bitterness from pith. If you leave any pith or the segment skins on while eating a grapefruit you are getting both sour and bitter in significant doses.

With that background, some people are very sensitive to acidity and others are very sensitive to bitter compounds. People who hate most vegetables are typically reacting to their sensitivity on their bitterness receptors. People who enjoy the contrast bitter brings to foods do not find that effect disagreeable.

The typical US palette has systematically eliminated most bitter things from all foods and so any presence of such at all can be jarring.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Jan 2019, 18:52

Jennifer wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 16:51
Because I've tried grapefruit before, hoping/expecting to like it (as I like citrus in general, except for the obviously too-sour-to-eat-straight stuff like lemons), and every time I've tried it, it was horribly bitter...

For those of you who like it: what is is about the taste you like? Is is a sweet thing, or is it tangy, or bitter but somehow in a "good" way like a really high-qualify coffee, or what?
There's a sweet, tart, citrus taste along with the bitter. It took some getting used to, like getting used to the bitterness of coffee. I believe some pink grapefruit is less bitter than the average.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Jan 2019, 18:58

I have analyzed it less than JasonL, but yeah I like the depth/complexity when done right. Sometimes it's too much, but when you're in the mood, a really good grapefruit is just more interesting than an orange or similar 'sweet' citrus.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Jan 2019, 19:15

Sprinkling a bit of salt on grapefruit (and other foodstuffs) can reduce the bitterness.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Jan 2019, 19:49

JasonL wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 10:15
Warren, that's a really good idea I'm annoyed I haven't tried.

For shrimp ceviche - even real deal places do a par boil to get them pink before doing the acid bath. Doesn't hurt either way but if you want that color that's how people get it. It's the only seafood I par boil in a ceviche.
Yeah, I wish I had done that. I gave the shrimp half an hour in straight lime juice before combining ingredients. They were full white on the outside but not "cooked" all the way through. After a day in the fridge it was better. I mixed the herbs and spices with the oil separately. The balance was good in the finished product, but there was too much liquid in general giving it a brown mush appearance. Still the flavor combination was outstanding, would recommend.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jan 2019, 19:54

My first use of shrimp looked like that. I thought it would be cheating to boil then found out everyone does for shrimp. Oh well.

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Jan 2019, 20:13

JasonL wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 17:03

There's a difference between bitter and sour. Sour is the presence of acidity - like a lemon or vinegar. It has the effect of eliciting saliva and you feel it in your jaws in extremes. Bitter is like black coffee and greens like kale. It is unrelated to the presence of acid but is connected to a largish set of compounds found in vegetables.

A grapefruit has considerable acidity in the juice but gets bitterness from pith. If you leave any pith or the segment skins on while eating a grapefruit you are getting both sour and bitter in significant doses.

With that background, some people are very sensitive to acidity and others are very sensitive to bitter compounds. People who hate most vegetables are typically reacting to their sensitivity on their bitterness receptors. People who enjoy the contrast bitter brings to foods do not find that effect disagreeable.

The typical US palette has systematically eliminated most bitter things from all foods and so any presence of such at all can be jarring.
I'm fanatical about getting all the pith off my grapefruit. One of the things I liked about the pomelo is that the rind and membrane are really thick so you can peal them away without making juice all over your hands.
Grapefruit is more than just sour and bitter though. Lemon, lime, orange, strike me as one note flavors, but grapefruit is a symphony of aroma. That can make it harder to cook with. Lemon, lime, and orange can be a base that you build something more sophisticated around but grapefruit is already sophisticated and it's hard to build on it without creating dissidence.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jan 2019, 21:22

JasonL wrote:

There's a difference between bitter and sour.
Oh, definitely. I should've specified -- when I compared grapefruit's lack of "bitter, with potential" to lemon's potential -- I should've said "sour with potential." Because, while of course I don't like eating straight lemons and limes or drinking their straight juice -- I doubt anyone does -- I DO like those flavors or ingredients in things with sufficient sweetening added. But grapefruit? No. Not even potential there; I do not want sugary sweetened grapefruit candy even though I like lemon drops; do not want grapefruit-ade or grapefruit meringue pie or Key grapefruit pie the way I enjoy the lemon or lime versions of those things ... it's been a looong time since I last tried grapefruit since I had enough failures to deter me from ever trying again, but mostly I just remember utter vileness. (And this was looong after I outgrew my picky-eater-kid phase, and started seriously expanding my flavor palette. Still couldn't work grapefruit in there.)

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Jan 2019, 21:24

Grapefruit and chocolate are The Market.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Jan 2019, 22:18

Warren wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 21:24
Grapefruit and chocolate are The Market.
I am definitely hooked on chocolate, but grapefruit and I have an interesting history.

Before I was 20, I hated grapefruit - too bitter. Then I got stuck in a survey camp for a month and the only citrus available was grapefruit. I avoided it for three weeks before I got a craving for anything citrus. I ate two whole grapefruit in an hour and loved it. (Oddly, it still tasted bitter, but now I liked it.)

Now, I am on a daily medication and am forbidden grapefruit. Apparently, grapefruit contains a chemical that breaks down the internal chemistry that inhibits the absorption of medications. Medication dosages are calculated on the basis of overcoming the effects of the internal chemistry, which means that eating grapefruit increases the effects of a given dosage. So I can no longer eat grapefruit. :(

[I am trying to repeat this the way it was explained to me by my doctor. Apologies if this isn't entirely accurate.]
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 29 Jan 2019, 12:50

JasonL wrote:

Which is why you get blank stares when ordering a negroni at dinner.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Feb 2019, 18:39

Gluten free waffles are fucking hideous. I can make the oat cake pancake stuff work pretty well but dear lord fuck these waffles are just awful.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Feb 2019, 23:08

Chuckled while watching some old Floyd on Food episodes - when he eats sashimi he mixes his soy sauce with sherry.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.