Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
tr0g

Re: Food

Post by tr0g » 07 Sep 2018, 21:51

Kwix wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 20:50
tr0g wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 14:13
We'd have creme brulee every night until the wife and child got sick of it.
We have done that. The issue is that anything dessert related means extra fat and sugar this dude doesn't need.
Fortunately the hens are slowing down and we don't light the coop in the winter.
I'm not a big sweets guy, so I would have about one a week.

I assume the diurnal cycle has something to do with chicken egg laying? My ethnicity is white boy from the 'burbs, so I know nothing about livestock.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Sep 2018, 04:36

tr0g wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 21:51
Kwix wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 20:50
tr0g wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 14:13
We'd have creme brulee every night until the wife and child got sick of it.
We have done that. The issue is that anything dessert related means extra fat and sugar this dude doesn't need.
Fortunately the hens are slowing down and we don't light the coop in the winter.
I'm not a big sweets guy, so I would have about one a week.

I assume the diurnal cycle has something to do with chicken egg laying? My ethnicity is white boy from the 'burbs, so I know nothing about livestock.
I too am a suburban white boy turned semi-rural idiot. As I understand it they need at least 12 hours a day to lay but closer to 16 is better. I presume because of their indo-asian roots, they are descended from Red Junglefowl. Commercial growers push the birds by lighting the henhouse during the low light months. Of course commercial hens only last about a year before they are exhausted and sent off for dog food (ask your butcher for a boiling hen and see if he has any). We "suffer" fewer eggs in the winter in exchange for the birds recouping their calcium reserves and getting 4-5 years of daily laying out of them. Honestly we keep them because we're stupid and we like "chicken tv". They are pets that also give us breakfast.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Sep 2018, 04:46

We went picking apples today. There is a guy near us that for the last 30 years has attempted to grow various cold hardy apple breeds. Norlands, Parklands, Westerlands, Golden Transparent, Almata, etc. It was a hobby that got out of control so now he lets folks pick apples for a not insignificant price. The flavor of the apples is fantastic and he always gives us a discount. So now what?
Not sure why it's in the wrong orientation:
IMG_7606.JPG
IMG_7606.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 340 times
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Sep 2018, 09:58

Apples are naturally going to be used in sweet applications. Apple pie and such. I prefer tarts to pie. If you cook outside or don't want to go through so much trouble, you can scoop the core out of an apple fill the hole with butter, flour and brown sugar and bake em. There are savory applications too. Pork and apple are a great team. Pork chops braised in apple and onion are really good. Making apple butter will use up the most apples per pound of product, but then you need to eat the apple butter. It's good on toast but I get tired of it pretty quickly.

ETA
How could I forget apple cider. Hard apple cider is easy too. And if you are up for a project and scoff at the law, apple brandy is a worthy reward for your efforts.
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Sep 2018, 10:32

If you get tired of apple butter, you're making it incorrectly.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Sep 2018, 10:42

Andrew wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 10:32
Are you making it with cocaine?

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 10 Sep 2018, 10:38

I sense a home-canning weekend or two or three in Kwix's future.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 10 Sep 2018, 20:28

Warren wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 10:42
Andrew wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 10:32
Are you making it with cocaine?
Newsletter?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Sep 2018, 23:24

I've only purchased apple butter once. I devoured the entire jar in less than an hour and decided that for health reasons I should never do that again.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Sep 2018, 18:41

First chili of the year. Used beans for the first time in my real made from chilies chili life. Some of those good heirloom ones I was gifted. I always finish with a quarter cup of some alcohol in the final 10 mins of simmer. Adds unique characteristics. Have used beer, vodka and bourbon. Used cognac this time. It's nice. Recommend. Very difficult to describe flavors.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 11 Sep 2018, 21:23

Andrew wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 13:18
Has anyone done any cooking with the ultra-hot peppers? The local Sprouts now has little packs of ghost peppers, Carolina reapers, and a mixed pack (those two plus scorpion peppers and a few others). They are fresh and not dried.

When I make chili in my 5 quart crockpot, I use 6-8 serranos and 6-8 habaneros (I use all the ribs and seeds). I'm wondering about the feasibility of swapping out the habaneros for an ultra-hot or two.

I already use gloves for prep, so that wouldn't be a problem.
Yes. One pepper is usually sufficient for a pot of chili, though I use them in combination with habaneros. Please note that my heat tolerance is pretty high.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Oct 2018, 18:50

It is FINALLY cool enough that I can use the oven in good conscience; right now I've got four-cheese ravioli topped with tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella baking in a casserole dish. Mmmmm.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Oct 2018, 10:49

Yah I like grilling okay and I love eating on patio, but in terms of overall cooking happiness, Dutch Oven braising season is my favorite.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Oct 2018, 12:44

JasonL wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 10:49
Yah I like grilling okay and I love eating on patio, but in terms of overall cooking happiness, Dutch Oven braising season is my favorite.
I'm glad I live where there are cooking technique seasons. I'm really happy stew and casserole season is here, but I'll be equally excited to fire up the grill when grilling season rolls around again.