Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: Food

Post by Highway » 01 Aug 2018, 16:09

We had it in Boston, and thought it was good, but there's very little variety at the stores. If you want that particular combination, it's good, but if that's not what you're into, you're going somewhere else.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Aug 2018, 16:15

Kwix wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 16:01
Jennifer wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 23:04
I have been addicted to "The Halal Guys" gyros ever since I first tried one, mainly because of their addictive white sauce which is approximately infinity times tastier than any tzatziki sauce I've had. Halal Guys stores sell individual packets of their white sauce, so for awhile now I've been making gyros at home by frying up Al Safa brand gyro slices (carried in halal grocery stores) and adding packets of Halal Guys sauce, but tonight I tried making white sauce using this recipe from Thrillist. The results were pretty tasty -- though I don't know how close it is to authentic Halal Guys white sauce, since I didn't have any on hand for a taste test -- except that next time, I'm going to double the spice levels in the recipe. Also, I think I used a tiny bit too much xanthum gum.

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/new-yo ... st-recipes
I tried a Halal Guys when last I was in Vegas and was disappointed. It's good meat, though not lamb and kind of bland for a gyro. The sauce, the sauce was good.
A couple days ago, we found a new (to us) halal grocery store that is MUCH bigger than the tiny, convenience-store-sized grocery where we bought the Al Safa gyro slices -- the other halal store carries an actual selection of gyro meats, including some lamb-and-beef combos. So when our current supply of gyro meat is gone, we're going to try some of the lamb-and-beef gyros sold there.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 01 Aug 2018, 16:55

Salmon roe three ways made this weekend:
Standard caviar (kosher salt)
Ikura (soy sauce, mirin, sake)
Smoked (brined in salt water then cold smoked with alder for 45 minutes)

The first two I've made before and they came out as per standard. The smoked is good as long as you are eating it along with something else otherwise it's way too smoky. I'll dial that back next time. This is my first time trying sockeye eggs and I cannot say I'm a fan. The eggs are well adhered to the membranes which themselves are very thin and prone to tearing. The eggs are good though, small, firm, just as you want caviar to be.

Now all I have to do is eat 5lbs of caviar in two weeks. :shock: :shock:
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Aug 2018, 16:56

Kwix wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 16:55
l adhered to the membranes which themselves are very thin and prone to tearing. The eggs are good though, small, firm, just as you want caviar to be.

Now all I have to do is eat 5lbs of caviar in two weeks. :shock: :shock:
Need help?
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Aug 2018, 19:26

So I'm caught up in my video game. I'm thinking it's three o'clock, three thirty at the latest, when a disembodied voice calls out "Are you making supper?". "What time is it?" I inquire. "Five o'clock" comes the reply. "Oh Shit" says I.

Forty minutes later I've got dinner on the table. Like A Boss.
Spaghetti & meatballs, squash & zucchini, and buttered slices of toasted french bread (alas no garlic). Meat was already thawed, and I had home-made roasted tomato sauce from last year, but otherwise absolutely no prep. This is my victory face 8-)
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Aug 2018, 16:18

chili with cucumber (raw or pickled) is surprisingly good.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Aug 2018, 15:31

Jennifer wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 16:15
Kwix wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 16:01
Jennifer wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 23:04
I have been addicted to "The Halal Guys" gyros ever since I first tried one, mainly because of their addictive white sauce which is approximately infinity times tastier than any tzatziki sauce I've had. Halal Guys stores sell individual packets of their white sauce, so for awhile now I've been making gyros at home by frying up Al Safa brand gyro slices (carried in halal grocery stores) and adding packets of Halal Guys sauce, but tonight I tried making white sauce using this recipe from Thrillist. The results were pretty tasty -- though I don't know how close it is to authentic Halal Guys white sauce, since I didn't have any on hand for a taste test -- except that next time, I'm going to double the spice levels in the recipe. Also, I think I used a tiny bit too much xanthum gum.

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/new-yo ... st-recipes
I tried a Halal Guys when last I was in Vegas and was disappointed. It's good meat, though not lamb and kind of bland for a gyro. The sauce, the sauce was good.
A couple days ago, we found a new (to us) halal grocery store that is MUCH bigger than the tiny, convenience-store-sized grocery where we bought the Al Safa gyro slices -- the other halal store carries an actual selection of gyro meats, including some lamb-and-beef combos. So when our current supply of gyro meat is gone, we're going to try some of the lamb-and-beef gyros sold there.
Returned to the grocery in question and bought "Midamar" brand lamb-and-beef gyros, and made one last night. Yeesh, I'd forgotten how incredibly fatty lamb is compared to any other type of meat** I cook with: the Midamar gyro slices are MUCH thinner than the Al Safa -- I fried up four Midamar slices compared to the three Al Safa slices I use for a single gyro, yet still ended up with far less meat. However, despite frying considerably less meat than usual for a gyro, I ended up with far, FAR more fat/congealed grease on the griddle afterwards.

**Except bacon.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 15 Aug 2018, 13:20

Made garlic spread the other day. Put as many cloves of garlic as would fit in a ramekin, olive oil to cover, bake at 350 for one hour. Dumped it all in a cup and used the boat motor to turn it into mush. Added some salt to taste. Yum. Next time I'll drain off some of the oil before mixing as it has a tendency to separate out a bit.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Aug 2018, 13:49

I was gifted a set of Rancho Gordo beans and I have to say they are the best I've ever encountered.

Made cassoulet with flageolet whites and red beans and rice with an heirloom domingo rojo. Absolutely great in both cases. I hate kidneys and generally avoid beans and rice for that reason but the domingo rojos taste entirely different. Recommend.

https://www.ranchogordo.com/

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Yesterday, 13:18

Has anyone done any cooking with the ultra-hot peppers? The local Sprouts now has little packs of ghost peppers, Carolina reapers, and a mixed pack (those two plus scorpion peppers and a few others). They are fresh and not dried.

When I make chili in my 5 quart crockpot, I use 6-8 serranos and 6-8 habaneros (I use all the ribs and seeds). I'm wondering about the feasibility of swapping out the habaneros for an ultra-hot or two.

I already use gloves for prep, so that wouldn't be a problem.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dhex

Post by dhex » Yesterday, 14:35

i wouldn't unless i was willing to have something potentially inedible at the end. the floor for reapers and ghost peppers is already pretty high, and the ceilings are astronomical. and there's no way to guess how hot it's going to be until you cook with it.

eta: i say this as someone who eats inedible crazy hot stuff for fun.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » Yesterday, 15:10

You're not going to talk about your dick again are you?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Yesterday, 16:51

dhex wrote:
Yesterday, 14:35
the floor for reapers and ghost peppers is already pretty high, and the ceilings are astronomical. and there's no way to guess how hot it's going to be until you cook with it.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dhex

Post by dhex » Yesterday, 19:27

Warren wrote:
Yesterday, 15:10
You're not going to talk about your dick again are you?
#what

Andrew - you could try like one half of one and see how it is a few hours in. Ribs and seeds from up to eight habanero is quite a lot so maybe it'd be mostly edible?