Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Food

Post by Warren » 26 Apr 2018, 19:10

JasonL wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 18:58
Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 15:12
Ive never used it. I use low sodium chicken stock from the carton simmered with aromatics and chicken wings if I have time.
What? Like a chicken wing? If you've got more than two wings and you're only making a quart or less, you might as well use water.
2 quarts and 1.5 lbs wings ish 45 mins, an onion two carrots, mash a clove of garlic, couple peppercorns. Use and reserve.
There's enough flavor in what you put in the pot, I don't see any need to start with store bought stock. Maybe if time is the primary factor. Another hour or two wouldn't do it any harm at all.
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Apr 2018, 19:12

Yes time. My experience is people say you can do chicken stock in 2 hours but nope. 45 is a huge upgrade

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Apr 2018, 19:19

pressure cooker FTW
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Apr 2018, 19:29

Yah do not have.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 26 Apr 2018, 21:37

Jennifer wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 16:11
The amount of chicken stock/broth I make from scratch isn't remotely enough to cover all the recipes I make requiring it as a base. (The "polenta casserole"/spicy cheese grits alone is made frequently enough to require at least a gallon per month.) But I have found that Kroger's store-brand bouillon cubes are perfectly fine in that regard -- except for the wait for them to dissolve.
We should trade, because I have the opposite problem. I've started giving my stock to random friends because wasting it would be sad but I basically never use any.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 27 Apr 2018, 03:03

I just can't get over the use of perfectly good appetizers (wings) in place of a couple of legs. Better yet would be necks or backs but yeah, no go there.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Apr 2018, 00:55

I bought some coarse-ground wheat farina (basically Cream of Wheat, only much cheaper because it's not "Cream of Wheat" brand, but from one of the Indian supermarkets). I want to try an experiment, making my "polenta/spicy cheese grits" only using the farina rather than cornmeal. But I wonder: is there a different "absorption" rate? The polenta casserole recipe calls for one cup of cornmeal (plus various veggies and spices) in 29 ounces of chicken broth, then keep it in the slow cooker on "high" for two hours. Does anybody know: can I do a straight 1:1 replacement of cornmeal with farina, or would farina require more or less liquid than cornmeal? And would it take less cooking time, more, or the same?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 30 Apr 2018, 20:11

Jennifer wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 00:55
I bought some coarse-ground wheat farina (basically Cream of Wheat, only much cheaper because it's not "Cream of Wheat" brand, but from one of the Indian supermarkets). I want to try an experiment, making my "polenta/spicy cheese grits" only using the farina rather than cornmeal. But I wonder: is there a different "absorption" rate? The polenta casserole recipe calls for one cup of cornmeal (plus various veggies and spices) in 29 ounces of chicken broth, then keep it in the slow cooker on "high" for two hours. Does anybody know: can I do a straight 1:1 replacement of cornmeal with farina, or would farina require more or less liquid than cornmeal? And would it take less cooking time, more, or the same?
No guarantees but from a tiny bit of research it looks like it's roughly a 1:4 ratio for semolina:water.
http://www.butterbaking.com/2011/11/03/ ... -semolina/
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Apr 2018, 20:30

Kwix wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 20:11
Jennifer wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 00:55
No guarantees but from a tiny bit of research it looks like it's roughly a 1:4 ratio for semolina:water.
http://www.butterbaking.com/2011/11/03/ ... -semolina/
Thanks. But -- question from someone who stinks at math -- what is the ratio of "one dry cup of cornmeal" to "29 ounces of chicken broth"? (I say 29 ounces because the original polenta recipe calls for a half-cup of cornmeal and one 14.5 ounce can of broth; however, when I make the recipe I double it so there will be leftovers.) If the cornmeal-to-broth ratio I mentioned above is 1:4, then of course that means I can do the recipe exactly as before, only replacing a cup of cornmeal with a cup of farina. But I have no idea what the "dry cup to wet cup" ratio is. A quickie Google search says one cup equals eight ounces -- but IIRC a "wet cup" differs from a "dry cup," and I don't know if that "one cup+eight ounces" thing refers to a wet or dry cup.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Apr 2018, 21:03

Cups are different, but not enough to matter, especially with cooking (as opposed to baking).

For your recipe, you can just substitute it 1:1. Then see how it is when it's done. It's really a lot more just personal style than "correct". Do you like it wetter? Dryer? Thicker? Then you adjust the recipe.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 May 2018, 01:29

Well, I experimented making "farina polenta" -- I'm actually eating a bowl of it now -- to be honest, I don't know if I even notice any taste difference from the cornmeal version, what with all the cheese and spices the recipe contains. The texture might be a bit smoother, but I'm not certain.

If anyone for some reason is interested in switching cornmeal with farina for a recipe, the only real difference I can tell is, the farina seems to need a bit less cooking time than cornmeal, to absorb the fluid it's in. The cornmeal recipe required two hours on "high" in the slow cooker, before taking the top off and melting in the shredded cheese; I checked the farina mixture after only an hour and a half and it was done.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 May 2018, 01:40

Come to think of it, there does seem to be a taste difference: the spices are more intense in this version than in the cornmeal-based one. Not at first, but cumulatively; I've eaten a little more than half the bowl and I'm feeling a slight "spice burn" on my tongue, which never happened with the cornmeal. I actually like it, though.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 May 2018, 17:54

I went shopping at Restaurant Depot and my lack of spatial intelligence bit me on the ass. It's such a giant warehouse with such massive cases of food everywhere -- it looked like the boxes I was buying were tiny! But guess what, it turns out 40 pounds of raw chicken is a lot of chicken.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 02 May 2018, 18:10

Ellie wrote:
02 May 2018, 17:54
I went shopping at Restaurant Depot and my lack of spatial intelligence bit me on the ass. It's such a giant warehouse with such massive cases of food everywhere -- it looked like the boxes I was buying were tiny! But guess what, it turns out 40 pounds of raw chicken is a lot of chicken.
I miss shopping at Restaurant Depot.

But I never bought the frozen chicken for exactly this reason.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 May 2018, 18:25

I also bought what I thought was three or four servings of salad greens, and it turns out the plastic clamshell is so big it barely fits in the fridge OR freezer. (don't worry, freezing for green smoothies later -- I know you can't thaw greens and expect anything but sadness)

Meanwhile I also bought 10 pounds of pepperoni and 10 pounds of shredded cheese, and my kids have eaten half of each, in 6 days. :shock:
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 May 2018, 02:50

Ellie wrote:
02 May 2018, 18:25
Meanwhile I also bought 10 pounds of pepperoni and 10 pounds of shredded cheese, and my kids have eaten half of each, in 6 days. :shock:
Don't feel bad; that's less than a third of a pound per kid per day.

I bought a pound of smoked salmon the the other day because it was on sale for a good price, and went through it in three days. And unlike your kids, I don't even have the excuse of "Yeah, well, I need the protein because I'm still growing."

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 May 2018, 14:34

Ellie wrote:
02 May 2018, 17:54
:lol: :lol:

This bites me in the ass every year too. I'll hit up RD in early spring to buy cases of frozen hamburgs, hot dogs, and spare ribs to be ready for impromptu summer parties, and by the end of August I'm like "Fuck me, we still have 30 hamburgs and 6 racks of ribs left in the freezer."
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 23 May 2018, 07:34

Speaking of Tillamook cheese, I saw some bags of it (shredded, in a 'farmstyle cut') for the first time at a Safeway near me yesterday, 3000 miles from Oregon
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 23 May 2018, 13:12

Seeing how much Tillamook's distribution has expanded in the last 10 years or so does have an element of when your favorite underground band hits it big... Always glad to see success correlate with quality, but it used to make visits to Oregon and the NW just a tiny bit more special when you couldn't get it every damn place.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 23 May 2018, 15:38

dead_elvis wrote:
23 May 2018, 13:12
Seeing how much Tillamook's distribution has expanded in the last 10 years or so does have an element of when your favorite underground band hits it big... Always glad to see success correlate with quality, but it used to make visits to Oregon and the NW just a tiny bit more special when you couldn't get it every damn place.
Well shit, I was going to suggest Beecher's but I see it too has expanded to the East Coast.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 May 2018, 16:36

I don't know if all Aldi's stores sell the same items, but: Jeff discovered that the one nearest our place sells ten-packs of very tasty white-flour tortillas for only a dollar. Given how many fajitas and quesadillas we eat, that discovery cuts our grocery costs by a noticeable amount. (Well, a buck or two a week, but it adds up over the course of a year.)

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 May 2018, 18:58

had to cook for a vegetarian dinner party last week so i kicked it up a notch and went full vegan with roasted butternut squash and string bean coconut curry and a thai style bok choy dish on the side. leftovers are fucking amazing. definitely roast butternut squash above all other methods.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 May 2018, 09:34

Did a roasted pork shoulder with my standard rub and made a peach/nectarine, bourbon, habanero bbq sauce. I have leftovers o' plenty.

JD

Post by JD » 30 May 2018, 13:23

For my birthday, my wife made me a breakfast of honey-glazed biscuits, boudin, egg over easy, and cheese grits. That was a damn good breakfast, the cheese grits especially. (Perhaps because they almost contained more cheese and butter than grits...)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 07 Jun 2018, 12:48

Restaurants that serve/deliver salads with whole cucumber rounds sliced 1/4" thick need to have the Dept. of Health called on them.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex