Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jasper

Re: Food

Post by Jasper » 29 Jan 2018, 14:25

dead_elvis wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 23:19

... Seared the pork chop on the grill and the breast in butter in a pan, and neither sear was satisfactory. The lesson I learned was that It really does have to be super duper hot, just like what they recommend. So in the future just oil in a pan.
I came across a video of that guy from Serious Eats and Adam Savage of Mythbusters testing out the canard "the hotter the better" for searing after sous vide. They tried 4 things on 125F steaks, a blow torch, a charcoal grill, a charcoal chimney starter, and an aluminum smelting furnace. Their winner was the chimney starter by just a smidgen.

"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Jan 2018, 15:08

In my kitchen situation (name of future cooking show?), oiled cast iron works better than propane Webber heating for 30 mins or searzall torch.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Jan 2018, 15:09

Do you ever still use your giant torch? :)
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Jan 2018, 15:15

I do. Just not for steaks per se. I like it for taking fatty things and creating crispy bits. I’ll do carnitas Sous vide and torch the shit out of them on a sheet pan after bag time. I torch fatty fish or scallops if I want sear + raw. If my cast iron is smoking too much I’ll use the torch instead of that too. The big loser in sous vide meats is my propane grill. Just not hot enough.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jan 2018, 19:28

JasonL wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 15:15
The big loser in sous vide meats is my propane grill. Just not hot enough.
How bout now?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Jan 2018, 23:22

Damn, the price of eggs has been rising lately. Did a bunch of chickens have to be culled for bird flu or something? I just paid $1.69 for a dozen "large" store-brand eggs.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jan 2018, 23:45

Jennifer wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 23:22
Damn, the price of eggs has been rising lately. Did a bunch of chickens have to be culled for bird flu or something? I just paid $1.69 for a dozen "large" store-brand eggs.
That's around the price I pay here, but at the big Walmart 12 miles down the road they're half that price. I'm pretty sure Walmart takes a loss on milk, butter, and eggs. They put them in the back of the store. If I'm going to walk from their big lot to the back of their store, you can be sure I'm coming out with more than just butter and eggs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Jan 2018, 07:25

Eggs were really cheap a few months ago, sometimes even the 18 carton was 99 cents. This current price hike seems more a regression to the mean equilibrium to me. (Esp compared to a few years ago where they were 2.99 a dozen and restaurants had egg surcharges. That was all some sort of bird flu iirc)

Then again, gas is creeping up too. Maybe inflation is finally real and the Trump bubble is about to pop.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 30 Jan 2018, 12:46

Could also be the new year and everybody has jumped on the high protein, low carb bandwagon. I did and have basically halved the time it took to go through a dozen. Hard-boiled soy cause eggs are fucking great.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 30 Jan 2018, 15:21

Warren wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 23:45
Jennifer wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 23:22
That's around the price I pay here, but at the big Walmart 12 miles down the road they're half that price. I'm pretty sure Walmart takes a loss on milk, butter, and eggs. They put them in the back of the store. If I'm going to walk from their big lot to the back of their store, you can be sure I'm coming out with more than just butter and eggs.
Really? Because here, Walmart is flat not competitive on milk. 1 gallon of 1% is 1.88 at Kroger, and at Walmart is almost $3 for Great Value milk every time I look.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jan 2018, 18:56

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Jan 2018, 19:24

I can't find the exact post, but I remember just after moving to Georgia and making my first grocery run, I made a post here to the effect of "Wow, eggs here are a LOT cheaper than they were in NoVa." If they're this expensive in Georgia now, I shudder to think what I'd be paying if I were still in Loudoun.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jan 2018, 19:45

Kroger brand eggs have been in the $2/doz range here for the last few months, and I didn't notice any change recently.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Jan 2018, 20:14

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 19:45
Kroger brand eggs have been in the $2/doz range here for the last few months, and I didn't notice any change recently.

Kroger is where I paid $1.69 last night, too. But that's higher than Kroger's "usual" price down here.

Also when I first moved to Georgia summer before last, Walmart's standard, non-sale price for a dozen large store-brand eggs was only 88 cents. Now, though, it's well over a dollar (though I can't recall exactly what it is).

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 02 Feb 2018, 23:47

Since Mrs. Kwix is out of town I took this opportunity to have her least liked protein, fish. It's prime cod season here and I stumbled across a recipe for "poor man's lobster" or "poor man's crab". Basically, cube the fish and poach it in a sugar and water solution. Serve with drawn butter.

I will say that the technique has merit. However, cod is not the best fish for this application. It was okay but too lean. I'm thinking halibut may be better but at going prices it's cheaper to buy lobster or king crab for most folks. Besides, there are much better dishes to use halibut for.

After eating my fill of mock lobster* I had about a half a pound of cooked cod leftover and went on a search for fish cakes.

I found this southeast asian inspired one that has a heavy use of cilantro, basil, lime and chilies that seemed interesting. I made it tonight and it was darned tasty. I had to accommodate the precooked fish and I upped the flavor by substituting a bit of fish sauce for some of the salt. Bonus, I'd made some preserved lemons about two years ago and had a jar of puree in the fridge begging for something to be done. The instructions are flawed though, there is no way that "on medium heat" you are going to pan fry these babies for 5-8 minutes per side. Maybe total, but not per side.

*Lobster mock, let's rock!
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Feb 2018, 05:24

But it wasn’t a mock. It was a mock lobster.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 03 Feb 2018, 07:44

lunchstealer wrote:But it wasn’t a mock. It was a mock lobster.
So you’re saying we should all live like fake lobsters.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 04 Feb 2018, 19:31

Elk round steaks from a coworker who hunts. Prepared it like I would a ribeye: rubbed in oil and spices, brought to room temp, and then 2 minutes per side in a screaming hot cast iron skillet. Unbelievably good. Slightly gamey (in the fresh wild meat way, not the rotten way) and very tender. I owe him big time.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 05 Feb 2018, 13:05

So I tried the beer-cooler sous vide hack this weekend on a couple of NY strips. My cooler will maintain temp within 2 degrees for about 20 minutes at a time, so I did the steaks between about 126F - 130F for an hour, with a little butter and fresh thyme, adding a little boiling water to maintain temp every 15 minutes. Patted them dry, brushed with canola, season with S&P, and seared about a minute and a half per side in cast iron as hot as my gas stove could get. (Fan full on.)

While I can't say it's the best steak I've ever cooked at home, namely because it was cheap stuff from the supermarket, I certainly did enjoy it. Not super-duper tender; I suspect because of cheapness and also it was only in the bath for an hour. But that wall-to-wall deep pink was a wonder to behold. I also notice that it held onto its juices. Cut into it and started nomming within a few minutes off the sear and there was hardly any juice leaking all over the plate. Yet the steak was as juicy as any I've had.

There might be something to this sous vide craze after all.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 05 Feb 2018, 15:49

If you do it again, I'll suggest not putting butter in the bag. Most flavors are fat-soluble, so that has a tendency to move flavor from the steak to the butter rather than the other way around.

I mean, butter on steak is delicious. But you generally get better results by doing the sous vide dry (with spices, but no fats or liquids), and then adding the butter at the cooking step.

And yeah, if you want the super-tender thing an hour isn't going to cut it. I get absurdly tender chuck roast steaks, but I also do them for 2-3 days, which I would not recommend in the beer cooler setup.

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Feb 2018, 15:54

Also, if you sous vide with spices, put fewer spices on the meat than you would if cooking traditionally. Because of the nature of the sous vide, you'll be burning off less of the spices.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 05 Feb 2018, 15:57

OK, good to know about the seasonings. Thanks fellas.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Feb 2018, 16:27

My rules of thumb for sous vide bag prep:

- Knock yourself out with dry rubs and seasonings in advance then add right to the bag after you've rested the rub however long
- Wet marinades are great, but don't do them in the cooking bag per se. Marinade first, pull out, then do the sous vide bag. Generally for red meat, you want the initial state of the bag to be pretty much dry when you start the cook.
- If your cut is fatty like a pork belly, or if you desire something of a confit consistency, then go ahead and use flavors and fats in the bag. The idea here is you are using a lot of fat (or rendering a lot of fat out) relative to the volume of meat you are cooking. Sous vide is exceptional at confit
- However, if you are looking for the texture of a steak, you don't really want extra fats in the bag. Overall, don't think about fats in the bag in small doses as flavor enhancers - do no extra fat or run it all the way up into confit territory. Example: I do pork chops like steaks, with salt and pepper plus some aromatics in the bag, no extra fat (145 for 1.5 hours). I also do carnitas sous vide, and that strategy involves 1/4c of additional fat with things I want to flavor the fat like oranges and bit of cinnamon stick / star anise, etc. (and let it run 12 hours+) - that's a confit.
- EXCEPTION: if you think of things like white flaky fish you would consider butter poaching, that's another great use of sous vide. Scallops, white fish like halibut, etc. If you are going to sear after, don't do butter in the bag (your texture will be too soft), but if presenting as a poach - it's awesome.
- Don't use actual citrus with white fish or delicate seafood in general, and don't go much beyond 45 minutes cooking time. I fully liquefied a piece of halibut letting it run 90 minutes with small lemon slices. If you want the flavor, just use the peel, the squeeze citrus on after the cook is done.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 05 Feb 2018, 19:33

Are growlers (for beer) a thing everywhere now?
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 05 Feb 2018, 19:38

Fin Fang Foom wrote:Are growlers (for beer) a thing everywhere now?
Pretty much, at least everywhere with a brewery.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren