Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Food

Post by JasonL » 27 Aug 2010, 12:12

D.A. Ridgely wrote:You can't make a pizza unless you have a dedicated marble slab, wood burning oven to bake it in. Not even wealthy Italians living in Italy have such a thing in their kitchens; ergo, recipes for pizza at home are necessarily fraudulent.
Agree. Similar to the bbq thing. It's possible you could have an awesome smoker set up that works as well as the pits in smokehouses, but it's impractical for most people.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 27 Aug 2010, 12:15

D.A. Ridgely wrote:You can't make a pizza unless you have a dedicated marble slab, wood burning oven to bake it in. Not even wealthy Italians living in Italy have such a thing in their kitchens; ergo, recipes for pizza at home are necessarily fraudulent.
Or... you can learn to stretch dough on a liberally-floured table top, crank your electric oven to 550ºF, and bake a pie on an upside-down sheetpan and parchment paper.

Some folks actually like the process of cooking as well as the end result.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Aug 2010, 12:27

You can't make a pizza unless you have a dedicated marble slab, wood burning oven to bake it in. Not even wealthy Italians living in Italy have such a thing in their kitchens; ergo, recipes for pizza at home are necessarily fraudulent.
not entirely true, but it would probably help. there are plenty of ingenious folk building their own outdoor coal or wood fired pizza ovens. (the strange intersection of pizza making, home improvement and obsession)
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 27 Aug 2010, 12:39

Meh. I like my pizza stone and my gas oven.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 27 Aug 2010, 15:45

My understanding is that pizza is also improved by adding "-a" to the ends of some of your words and "ah?" to the ends of your sentences.

A guy who says, "You want anchovies?" is not going to make you as good a pizza as a guy who says, "You like-a the anchovies, ah?"

PS: I learned this from TV.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Aug 2010, 16:17

racism does make food taste better.

(it's true!)
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 27 Aug 2010, 16:27

So *that's* why I love Al Jolson's Fried Chicken and Watermelon Dinners™ so much!
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Aug 2010, 16:32

dhex wrote:racism does make food taste better.

(it's true!)
That's good to hear, because Akbar Jihadi's falafel house and victory mosque just opened down the street.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 27 Aug 2010, 18:26

To be honest, I don't think it's quite fair to assume a pizza-maker is a racist just because he has an Italian accent.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Aug 2010, 21:11

Hugh Akston wrote:
dhex wrote:racism does make food taste better.

(it's true!)
That's good to hear, because Akbar Jihadi's falafel house and victory mosque just opened down the street.
you guys are awesome.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Aug 2010, 21:39

*Ahem*

It's "End Zone Dance Mosque", not "Victory Mosque." Get your wingnuttery straight!
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 27 Aug 2010, 21:49

Actually, I may be wrong (wot's new, eh?), but I read somewhere that the proper oven for a totally correct Neapolitan Pizza Margherita (which supposedly is the classically correct proper thingummy) is coal-fired.

Mind you, the Pizza Margherita that you get today in Rome or any other large Italian city is something which I generally consider to be a week-kneed pantywaist excuse for a meal that only some poofter city elitist who doesn't know what a real man's food is would think is good. I know this from the various Sicillians, Callabrians and Campanians that I ended up knowing in the paving business in Canada. Their idea of a pizza is a huge thick slab of bread with toppings on it that if eaten at lunch will keep a working man strong for the rest of the day. That and plenty of vino rosso. The huge thick country bread pizzas have been around a lot longer than the cracker-thin-crusted Neapolitan Pizza Margherita which goes back only to the 1880s when some sycophant decided to make a tribute to Italy's new Queen, Italy having just united itself and instead of true manly freedom fighters choosing a republic decided to let the rest of Europe give them a Monarchy.

Mind you, again, I can really get into a classic Pizza Margherita when I'm in Rome and let the week-kneed pantywaist poofter city elitist within escape. :D

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Aug 2010, 00:14

Isaac Bartram wrote:Mind you, the Pizza Margherita that you get today in Rome or any other large Italian city is something which I generally consider to be a week-kneed pantywaist excuse for a meal that only some poofter city elitist who doesn't know what a real man's food is would think is good. I know this from the various Sicillians, Callabrians and Campanians that I ended up knowing in the paving business in Canada. Their idea of a pizza is a huge thick slab of bread with toppings on it that if eaten at lunch will keep a working man strong for the rest of the day
I want some of this.

Right now.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 14 Sep 2010, 09:02

Last night I attempted a primavera sauce for my anglehair pasta. A clove of garlic, a quarter onion, a jalapeno, a couple of tomatoes, some olive oil, heavy cream and parmasean cheese.

It tasted awesome - a cheesy base with sweetness from the onion and garlic, a little spice from the pepper, a little tartness from the tomatoes.

But it looked exactly like something the dog would throw up. I grossed everyone else out by eating it.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 14 Sep 2010, 09:27

pistoffnick wrote:Last night I attempted a primavera sauce for my anglehair pasta. A clove of garlic, a quarter onion, a jalapeno, a couple of tomatoes, some olive oil, heavy cream and parmasean cheese.

It tasted awesome - a cheesy base with sweetness from the onion and garlic, a little spice from the pepper, a little tartness from the tomatoes.

But it looked exactly like something the dog would throw up. I grossed everyone else out by eating it.
Put it in the blender next time.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 25 Sep 2010, 14:53

I had a Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuit for the first time this morning. I once was lost, but now am found.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Sep 2010, 12:58

Andrew wrote:I had a Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuit for the first time this morning. I once was lost, but now am found.
Best. Chicken. Nugget. In existence. I think it's because there's a dab of Jesus in every bite.

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 27 Sep 2010, 13:02

JasonL wrote:
Andrew wrote:I had a Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuit for the first time this morning. I once was lost, but now am found.
Best. Chicken. Nugget. In existence. I think it's because there's a dab of Jesus in every bite.
Then why are communion wafers so unsatisfying?

I couldn't resist. Apologies extended all areound.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Sep 2010, 13:08

J sub D wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Then why are communion wafers so unsatisfying?
Because transubstantiation makes them *all* Jesus, when only a little dab'll do ya.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Sep 2010, 13:09

Weirdly, while I love biscuits and love Chick-Fil-A chicken, I really don't like Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuits. There's too much competing flavor, and it makes my mouth feel really tired.
J sub D wrote:Then why are communion wafers so unsatisfying?
Because priests are in disfavor with the Lord. Unlike Chick-Fil-A cooks, they work on the Sabbath.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Sep 2010, 13:11

In any case, Popeye's biscuits are superior.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Sep 2010, 13:19

Chik-Fil-A makes a damn fine chicken strip, but Popeye's wins. I have never tasted the former's biscuit, but what would be the point after having Popeye's?
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 27 Sep 2010, 13:38

I have recently been surprised by the acceptability of QuikTrip breakfast sandwiches, specifically the egg, sausage and cheese biscuit. I prefer this to the McDonald's version. Also, the QuickTrip biscuit is flatter, and thus less filling, which is a plus from my POV.

The QT chicken, bacon and cheese biscuit was OK too.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Sep 2010, 09:13

Hugh Akston wrote:Chik-Fil-A makes a damn fine chicken strip, but Popeye's wins. I have never tasted the former's biscuit, but what would be the point after having Popeye's?
Okay, so let's get this straight. The universe of deliciousness is right here, with chick fil a occupying the center of the take out chicken sector. It shines like a sun. What you are talking about, popeye's is waaaaaay over there, out in the fringe. It is past KFC and past the quasi cajun offerings like Bo Jangles. Cold and desolate, it, like Pluto, is in danger of being categorized entirely out of the discussion. I'm not sure how favorably it compares to grocery store deli chicken.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Sep 2010, 14:56

The only thing better than Popeye's spicy chicken strips is sneaking them into a movie theater where they do not belong.