Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Food

Post by JasonL » 18 Dec 2017, 16:02

I am in general agreement with the McMegan gift list but with some big points of wtf. A person could do a lot worse than that list.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Dec 2017, 16:22

Tupperware is a constant reminder that we are all mortal, and this world is a vale of tears.
Not bad.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Dec 2017, 16:57

You are going to be tempted to get them one of those fancy thermometers with a long probe that stays in the oven while you close the door and read it from the outside. And if you find one that doesn’t break after two uses, or tell you that your meat is still underdone while the smoke is pouring off of its charred remnants, then please do write me.
In what world is an oven digital probe thermometer a difficult thing that breaks all the time? I've had one for years and while I don't use it often, I store it badly and abuse it regularly. I think I got it at frickin' Kroger or King Soopers (which is just Mile High speak for Kroger). The brand is something like "TempRite". It's done the job for pork roasts and rib roasts for years now.. While I don't get perfect medium-rare (well, more for pork but I don't go for grey-all-the-way because trichinosis isn't a thing anymore) I do come close and my misses are almost certainly due to not quite hitting the carry-over heat bullseye. The probe isn't quite thin enough to beat a really good instant-read thermometer, but for a roast where you want to leave the probe in place, this thing has been pretty damned solid.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Dec 2017, 17:06

JasonL wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 16:00
I would have assumed a pro gas range would crush it on total BTUs.
Yes, a pro gas range can boil water, but who the fuck has that.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Dec 2017, 17:34

Mo wrote:
JasonL wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 16:00
I would have assumed a pro gas range would crush it on total BTUs.
Yes, a pro gas range can boil water, but who the fuck has that.
Ahh your comment above is missing an “unless”. Was gonna say. I’m eyeballing a 24k btu wok burner number.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Dec 2017, 18:04

I like the little electric kettle I got for making tea at work. It boils water in the time it would take the microwave, but doesn't splatter hot water everywhere.

The Bodum tea-kettle looks nice, but I just brew loose-leaf tea in the cup.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Dec 2017, 19:17

nicole wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 15:08
McArdle continues her track record of wrongness

(Full disclosure I bought multiple Christmas presents based on her kitchen gift advice this year.)
Yup that's some serious stupid. Though you can get there by plugging an electric kettle designed for the US into a UK outlet. Be prepared to buy a new kettle.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Dec 2017, 10:59

lunchstealer wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 16:57
You are going to be tempted to get them one of those fancy thermometers with a long probe that stays in the oven while you close the door and read it from the outside. And if you find one that doesn’t break after two uses, or tell you that your meat is still underdone while the smoke is pouring off of its charred remnants, then please do write me.
In what world is an oven digital probe thermometer a difficult thing that breaks all the time? I've had one for years and while I don't use it often, I store it badly and abuse it regularly. I think I got it at frickin' Kroger or King Soopers (which is just Mile High speak for Kroger). The brand is something like "TempRite". It's done the job for pork roasts and rib roasts for years now.. While I don't get perfect medium-rare (well, more for pork but I don't go for grey-all-the-way because trichinosis isn't a thing anymore) I do come close and my misses are almost certainly due to not quite hitting the carry-over heat bullseye. The probe isn't quite thin enough to beat a really good instant-read thermometer, but for a roast where you want to leave the probe in place, this thing has been pretty damned solid.
Cosign. I did just buy another one becasue the one I had for something like a decade finally bit it.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2017, 11:37

Jasper wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 10:59
lunchstealer wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 16:57
Cosign. I did just buy another one becasue the one I had for something like a decade finally bit it.
That was my experience until last year when the insulation on the probe cord melted where it was sandwiched in the oven door. The seal on my oven is a metal mesh. I think it got hotter at the top of the door and it would have been fine if I ran it through the side. I've replaced it, but haven't tried using it in the oven again.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2017, 11:45

I've found the temp to be unreliable for the most part in those kind of thermometers. If I could get thermapen reliability out of an in oven probe without melting things I'd use it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2017, 12:51

Finally made it through Megan's list. Have many quibbles, but will confine my remarks to a few major disagreements.

I am highly critical of her Tupperware suggestion. Nesting problems aside, those Lock & Lock's are garbage. The wings that fold over and lock aren't hinged. After a dozen uses and dishwasher cycles they'll start to tear off and become useless. For plastic storage with secure lids, go with Rubbermaid.
Their Basic Line is good enough 98% of the time. The lids snap firmly in place and the mid-sized lid fits multiple containers. Good to go from freezer, to microwave, to dishwasher.
If you need latching lids, go with their Brilliance line. Hinged latches won't tear. Last years instead of months.
Or for a less expensive option, I really like their TakeAlongs with screw on lids. I love these. Want to take last night's soup to work? No problem, even when you panic brake and the container is thrown off the seat with the hard copy of your big report. One drawback, the lids don't nest.

Measuring Cups and spoons:
That means you need look only for three qualities: 1) cheap, 2) metal cups with the numbers etched in so that you don’t have to guess whether this is your third or your half cup after the dishwasher strips the paint off of the plastic and 3) long, narrow bowls on the measuring spoons.
She goes on about narrow bowls that fit into spice jars. And that is a thing. But she is wrong about metal and plastic. Metal cups and spoons are not cheap and violate her first rule. Plastic measures with the numbers molded into them can be had at a fraction of the cost.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2017, 13:14

Best measurement thing I did in my kitchen was use of an in cabinet spice rack with the lowest level having dedicated slots for measuring cups and spoons of each standard size. Looks like they stopped making it?

https://www.shopyourway.com/m/youcopia- ... /228647331

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2017, 13:15

I hate drawer o stuff and ring bound things you have to separate.

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Dec 2017, 13:24

We have two sets of metal measuring spoons that have flat bottoms that we love (they are some "premium" brand, but I can't remember it now). Yeah, fitting into a spice jar is a thing, but for me it's a really tertiary thing, as I hate narrow and flat spoons (cause all the stuff falls out the front while you're trying to get it out of the jar anyway). Instead, for things that we use bigger spoons with regularly, we've gotten bigger spice containers (the Progressive ProKeeper line, we really like them).

And for food storage, we dislike plastic. I really like the Kinetic Glassworks line. Hinged plastic lids. glass containers. Good seals that are removable for cleaning. Well suited for the microwave.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2017, 13:34

Highway wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 13:24
And for food storage, we dislike plastic.
Well sure, nobody likes plastic. It's just so damned cheap, light, and convenient. A residential kitchen without a Tupperware drawer, is like some kind of mythological fairy beast.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Dec 2017, 13:50

Warren wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 13:34
Highway wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 13:24
And for food storage, we dislike plastic.
Well sure, nobody likes plastic. It's just so damned cheap, light, and convenient. A residential kitchen without a Tupperware drawer, is like some kind of mythological fairy beast.
Ours is all glass. I think there's one small plastic container that we still use rarely for onions, and it's not Tupperware or Rubbermaid brand.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Dec 2017, 14:10

I actually really like the Lock n Lock containers. #noshame
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Dec 2017, 14:13

Glass is better than plastic. Glass doesn't stain when you put tomato sauce in it.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Dec 2017, 14:15

I have three or four sets of measuring spoons which I took off their rings and store in a narrow bin in one of our utensil drawers; the problem with "ringed" sets of spoons is that when you use one spoon, you have to wash the entire set. A couple of those sets are metal, but I prefer the El Cheapo plastic spoons with the measurements in raised letters on the handle. All but one (IIRC) of my measuring spoon sets are narrow enough to fit into spice jars.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Dec 2017, 14:22

Yeah, we've taken all of our measuring spoons off the rings, and instead separated them into "big" and "little" bins on the counter (in like a cutlery holder). Teaspons and below in one bin, everything above in the other. We have some specialty spoons also, like 1.5 and 2 Tablespoons, that go in there. My wife would *really* like a 1/2-Tablespoon, because we halve recipes so often and she is more of a baker than a cook, so measurements are exact to her. But buying a whole 'nother set of spoons, when we have like 4 already, is just not necessary.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Dec 2017, 15:03

Team Measuring Spoons on a Ring! #oldschool

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2017, 15:10

I hate Tupperware and all replacement concepts I’ve ever seen. I do like having a smallish number of those glad reuseable semi disposable containers so I don’t mind leaving them at other people houses or staining. I need new stackable storage for primary use, including a way to keep lids organized.

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Dec 2017, 15:26

Jasper wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 15:03
I think that's gonna be a lonely team...

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2017, 15:32

Highway wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 15:26
Jasper wrote:
Not at all. I prefer to keep the spoons on a ring provided you can get the one you want off the ring. Many sets have this feature.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 19 Dec 2017, 15:37

Highway wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 15:26
Jasper wrote:
My wife would lose them otherwise. And has.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren