Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
nicole

Re: Food

Post by nicole » 19 Dec 2017, 15:41

Warren wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 15:32
Highway wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 15:26
Jasper wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 15:03
Team Measuring Spoons on a Ring! #oldschool
I think that's gonna be a lonely team...
Not at all. I prefer to keep the spoons on a ring provided you can get the one you want off the ring. Many sets have this feature.
Same
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Dec 2017, 16:04

Team ring.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 19 Dec 2017, 16:05

Team Ring here too. Otherwise you always end up losing some.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Dec 2017, 16:07

WTF the ring is the worst. It is better than random bin of loose spoons, but worse than every other semi competent organizational strategy like flatware slots or, I'm telling you, dedicated slots in a dedicated drawer thingy.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2017, 16:50

JasonL wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 16:07
WTF the ring is the worst. It is better than random bin of loose spoons, but worse than every other semi competent organizational strategy like flatware slots or, I'm telling you, dedicated slots in a dedicated drawer thingy.
Nope. The whole set in one place that I grab at the beginning of prep. Then pull spoons off as needed. The ring and unused spoons go back where they belong, and the used ones go in the dishwasher.
I'm not going to shuffle back and forth to the utensil drawer every time I need a new spoon. And I'm not going to predetermine which spoons I'm going to need. And I'm not going grab a fist full of loose spoons to scatter over my prep area.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
Fuckin eh right.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Dec 2017, 17:20

That doesn't buy you anything over "hey, all the spoons are right here in this one bin, including duplicates." A lot of the time, I want to use two different tablespoons, or two teaspoons because I'm using them for things that I don't want to mix up, like a T of oil and a T of chili powder. Yay, now you've got two rings of spoons splayed out on the counter, but I've just got two spoons.

Rings are suck. I'm not the most organized person, but keeping them in a bin and putting them back after they are done being washed (either by hand or dishwasher) is not losing anything to rings. Plus I don't have to keep futzing with a stupid ring.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Dec 2017, 17:32

I am a disorganized person. I lose things.

I cannot work with rings.

Then again, I don't bake because I'm SUPER fail-y at precise measurement and so forth. I've got a scale now so I can do better if I need to, but I'm still not going to.

Back to poring over the list like a jackal:

Yeesh. Her recommendation of a vacuum-sealed dry-aging kit for steaks.... Who has room for that? It's not that it looks useless. It seals the meat in a vacuum-sealed but permeable membrane that allows the moisture to evaporate off, which seems perfectly cromulent from my understanding of things. But now you need the place to store the special baggies which aren't useful for much else, and you have to store their specialized vacuum sealer.

You can get the same result from snugly-wrapped butcher paper. It's half of what butcher-paper is for. All you need is a roll of butcher paper and some tape. If you have a kitchen junk drawer, you've got tape, so all you need is one extra roll-o-stuff in your saran-wrap/tin-foil/wax-paper/parchment-paper storage.

BTW, Kroger-brand pre-cut parchment sheets are market success. When doing little baking things, crescent rolls, cookies, etc, I hate hate hate having to clean sheet pans. They just don't clean well and they don't fit well in my dish washer or my sink*. A sheet of parchment paper basically means never having to say I'm sorry I didn't clean that thing after its last use. But Reynold's comes in an over-sized roll, and has some neat features like a pre-printed grid to make it easier to evenly space your cookies or whatever, but I'm too clumsy to easily tear sheets off the larger roll. So last time I had to grab a fresh roll of it, I saw that King Soopers had Kroger-brand in pre-cut sheets that you just pull out and plunk down to use. Almost perfectly sized for my sheet pans. Anything that can make my cooking life easier without cluttering up my too-little-storage-having kitchen is a bonus.

*And I have a pretty nasty case of dishydrotic eczema on my hands which is basically the world's worst case of dishpan hands. If I get any soap or detergent on my hands I have to immediately hit them with hard-core lotion or petroleum jelly or they will be itchy within 10 minutes and cracked all the way into the dermis in an hour. Imagine having half-healed paper cuts all over your palms or the crook of your thumb, and that's a pretty close approximation of a bad day for me. So ANYTHING that cuts back on hand-scrubbing cookware is a godsend. Kitchen gloves work, but they're hard to find in men's sizes and a pain to take off and put on with my hands, and still irritate my hands a bit if I have to wear them too long. So seriously parchment paper is my friend.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Dec 2017, 18:12

Mo wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 16:04
Team ring.
One ring to rule the spoons,
One ring so it's easier to find them,
One ring to bring them out,
And in a dark drawer bind them.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Dec 2017, 18:24

They sell pre cut parchment paper?

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Dec 2017, 18:37

Highway wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 17:20
That doesn't buy you anything over "hey, all the spoons are right here in this one bin, including duplicates." A lot of the time, I want to use two different tablespoons, or two teaspoons because I'm using them for things that I don't want to mix up, like a T of oil and a T of chili powder. Yay, now you've got two rings of spoons splayed out on the counter, but I've just got two spoons.

Rings are suck. I'm not the most organized person, but keeping them in a bin and putting them back after they are done being washed (either by hand or dishwasher) is not losing anything to rings. Plus I don't have to keep futzing with a stupid ring.
Me too--I'm not super-organized, but putting measuring spoons back in their bin is no harder than putting knives, forks and spoons in their respective spots in the utensil tray.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2017, 19:14

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 17:32
Yeesh. Her recommendation of a vacuum-sealed dry-aging kit for steaks.... Who has room for that?
This guy right here. I put that in my list as soon as I saw it. It looks much more manageable than the mini fridge kits I've seen before.
You can get the same result from snugly-wrapped butcher paper. It's half of what butcher-paper is for. All you need is a roll of butcher paper and some tape. If you have a kitchen junk drawer, you've got tape, so all you need is one extra roll-o-stuff in your saran-wrap/tin-foil/wax-paper/parchment-paper storage.
Excuse me for saying so. But I do believe you're talking out your ass.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Dec 2017, 05:37

Warren wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 19:14
lunchstealer wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 17:32
Yeesh. Her recommendation of a vacuum-sealed dry-aging kit for steaks.... Who has room for that?
This guy right here. I put that in my list as soon as I saw it. It looks much more manageable than the mini fridge kits I've seen before.
Excuse me for saying so. But I do believe you're talking out your ass.
I misremembered my Good Eats. AB recommended cheesecloth.

However, further reading suggests that even that may be kind of useless for real dry aging. Now the internet is saying that Umai is closer to wet aging than dry aging because it prevents oxidation something something. Dunno.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Dec 2017, 09:29

I've been thinking about trying koji cure - which is supposed to replicate long dry age remarkably well.

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen ... rtcut-koji

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Dec 2017, 10:22

JasonL wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 09:29
I've been thinking about trying koji cure - which is supposed to replicate long dry age remarkably well.

Oh ho. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. No seriously please do this and share your methods and results.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 25 Dec 2017, 17:23

Christmas Gadgetry! So, I got an Anova sous vide to replace my home brew sous vide kit. My kit offended in-house counsel's delicate sensibilities, because it looks like a sous vide prototype made by an engineer who was not at all concerned with aesthetics. The reasons why should be obvious...

I also got two (2!) Instant Pots. One is going back, but still: instant pot!

Anybody got suggestions, recommendations, or experience with either?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 25 Dec 2017, 17:36

Read Kenji Lopez-Alt at Serious Eats for both.

Pressure cookers are great for basically everything. Throw in some meat and some veggies, cook for an hour, you have a stew. They're also good for red beans and rice.

The obvious use of the sous vide is meat, but it also does great cheesecake and pastry cream really easily.

Highway

Post by Highway » 25 Dec 2017, 20:56

We use the Instant Pot for cooking rice, steaming vegetables and other things like tamales, cooking chicken and beef for shredding for putting in things like tamales and enchiladas, cooking pot roast, cooking potatoes for mashing, cooking homemade marinara sauce, and a lot of other things. We mostly use the sous vide for cooking chicken, honestly, but we use it 3-4 times per week.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Dec 2017, 21:06

We had beef Wellington for Christmas dinner and it was amazing
AB3A81C5-85CB-4053-8D82-64E9E384CCA6.jpeg
AB3A81C5-85CB-4053-8D82-64E9E384CCA6.jpeg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 373 times
I take zero credit of course

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Dec 2017, 22:13

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Dec 2017, 22:56

I made a savory bread pudding to go with the porketta. It is a way better side dish than stuffing. Everything is equally moist and remains moist when heated. Nothing dry, all the flavor evenly distributed.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 26 Dec 2017, 16:21

JasonL wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 09:29

Very interesting. I've used the Cold Mountain stuff for sake in the past. I may just have to give this a go.
tr0g wrote:
25 Dec 2017, 17:23
Christmas Gadgetry! So, I got an Anova sous vide to replace my home brew sous vide kit.
If I may be so bold, what was your kit? A crock-pot, temp controller and a circulator or something more arcane?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Dec 2017, 19:42

I have to admit, the responses to this Rachel Ray tweet have me lolling.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Dec 2017, 19:49

Mo wrote:
26 Dec 2017, 19:42
I have to admit, the responses to this Rachel Ray tweet have me lolling.

Too Jewish.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Dec 2017, 10:38

Last night we ordered Indian takeout. It was supposed to arrive by 7:05. The Indian place usually takes the full hour predicted, but by 7:10 I was starting to get annoyed. At 7:30 L-dub suggested I call to cancel the order, so I called the restaurant but they said the guy would be arriving any minute so I didn't cancel. At 7:50 the restaurant called back to say the guy should be there in 10-15 minutes. The food arrived at 8:05. It was cold.

So I'm thinking okay, literally never ordering from this place again, and I'm ready to call Grubhub to find out what they will do about it because the place doesn't even use their system to update people as far as how far along the order is or whatever, and I want my fucking money back. So I say this to Dubs a minute ago, and HE DOESN'T WANT ME TO COMPLAIN BECAUSE HE LIKES THE FOOD TOO MUCH. I'm like uhhhhh I was not ever going to pay these people again, what the fuck. And he's all "don't sic grubhub on them, just call them and tell them you don't appreciate them giving you the runaround last night." Don't appreciate? Fuck. Fuck these guys.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Dec 2017, 11:23

Tell ldub he has to order if he wants and you’ll only give them money if he does it while wearing a ball gag. Just so everyone is clear about what the money is actually for.