Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: Food

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Nov 2017, 17:19

dhex wrote:
JasonL wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 09:40
The olive oil fried egg is the best fried egg.
Jason is right. Pork fat gives you pork flavor. Olive oil egg can be anything you put your mind to.
So what should I do to the olive oil to give my eggs pork flavor?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Nov 2017, 21:27

dhex wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 17:14
Eggs are Hella flexible.
But refuse to let me cook them properly.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dhex

Post by dhex » 05 Nov 2017, 16:20

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 17:19
dhex wrote:
JasonL wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 09:40
The olive oil fried egg is the best fried egg.
Jason is right. Pork fat gives you pork flavor. Olive oil egg can be anything you put your mind to.
So what should I do to the olive oil to give my eggs pork flavor?
Rendered pork fat?

I'm not a fan of pork in general so the olive oil approach appeals most to me.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 05 Nov 2017, 19:49

dhex wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 16:20
I'm not a fan of pork in general
I don't know what to say to that, jadadhex.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Nov 2017, 20:07

I do love poached eggs.

I'm just surprised duck fat didn't come up.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 05 Nov 2017, 20:24

This weekend, I have cooked King Ranch casserole (really, my wife put it together, I just stuck it in the oven), dirty rice (with gizzards like Crom intended), and goetta (with pork heart like Crom intended). The goetta is still underway. I'm a little worried because it seems to have done this weird thing where it got more solid as the oats cooked, like you would expect, and then it seemed to "break" and get more watery.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Nov 2017, 20:25

Duck fat is cheating.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Nov 2017, 12:16

All right you bitches. It's stock making day.
After my initial success with the pressure cooker, I'm going for 3+ quarts of low sodium, high grade chicken stock.
Along with half an onion, handful baby carrots, and two stalks of celery (plus a half tsp salt and dozen peppercorns) I've got the necks and wing tips cut out of two birds plus the remains of a rotisserie carcass in there.
Previously I'd simmer that shit for like 8 hours uncovered, periodically replacing water that boiled off, and wind up with something closer to broth than stock. But I didn't get the bones all the way down to crumbly. I'm hoping for better results from a mere 5 hours in the pressure cooker.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 10 Nov 2017, 15:22

Warren wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 12:16
Don't you mean "bone broth"?

/me ducks and runs
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Nov 2017, 17:07

Sandy wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 15:22
Warren wrote:

/me ducks and runs
Yeah I never heard "bone broth" till this year, and after googling I don't think there's any real difference between that and stock. So, call it what you will.
The pressure cooker wrung everything out of everything. The bones all crumble given a firm pinch. The carrots still have color, but not hint of flavor.

I think I went too low with the sodium, but that can be fixed. Two trays of cubes, two quarts, and a pint and a half. That will actually take me some time to work through. We'll have to see how it gels up, but it's not as rich as I was hoping for. May have to double up on all ingredients. Should probably start with a pint or two less water as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Nov 2017, 18:45

Warren wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 17:07
Sandy wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 15:22
Warren wrote:

/me ducks and runs
Yeah I never heard "bone broth" till this year, and after googling I don't think there's any real difference between that and stock.
Yeah, mostly it was dipshit hipster/yuppies thinking they'd found the new superfood secret of the ancients bullshit, when I'm all "yeah that's been a thing for a long time, anthony bro-dain."
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 19 Nov 2017, 21:37

I made 15 lbs of venison summer sausage.
I also made 15 lbs of currywurst*, bratwurst, hot italian, sage breakfast, and garlic + parsley sausage this weekend. I am pretty tired of grinding meat**.

*the problem with digital cookbooks is that it is that you can't write comments in the margins. The recipe I use for currywurst has about 3X too much salt .

**"That's what she said"
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 21 Nov 2017, 13:54

pistoffnick wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 21:37
I made 15 lbs of venison summer sausage.
I also made 15 lbs of currywurst*, bratwurst, hot italian, sage breakfast, and garlic + parsley sausage this weekend. I am pretty tired of grinding meat**.

*the problem with digital cookbooks is that it is that you can't write comments in the margins. The recipe I use for currywurst has about 3X too much salt .

**"That's what she said"
Kudos to you sir. Do you have a carefully-controlled environment for the summer sausage or are you more of a hang it up in the corner of the basement guy? I tried a small batch of soppresatta once, but it turned black and slimey and I've been hesitant of trying again.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 21 Nov 2017, 14:09

I bought a Hi Mountain kit. The directions say to heat it at 120 deg for an hour with no smoke, then 140 deg for another hour with smoke, then 160 for and hour with smoke, then at 180 deg until the center reaches 156 deg. Then you have to refrig for up to 4 weeks. Although it has pink salt in the seasoning mixture, I think that just protects the meat while smoking at the lower temperatures, not a true preservative.

I haven't heard back from the DNR yet as to whether my deer had Chronic Wasting Disease, so I can't eat any of it yet.

About 3 years ago I tried a different brand of summer sausage kit and it turned out awful. Hopefully this one is better.

I had garlic and parsley pork sausage for supper last night and the sage pork sausage for breakfast this morning. Very nice.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 25 Nov 2017, 20:09

Sooey, Soooooey! Just loaded a half of a pig in the freezer. Former colleague of my wife's retired to ranch in Oregon and he drives back down a couple times a year with great meat for a great price. The low-stress grass fed beef is really outstanding but couldn't get this time because we don't have the freezer space. Only disappointment is I'd hoped for more ribs. Now the hard part is waiting 2 days for my wife to get back in town before diving into the bacon.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 25 Nov 2017, 21:45

Solution: eat all the bacon before your wife returns and then tell her there was no bacon.

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 05 Dec 2017, 11:27

My office has a pantry, and I was looking through the (admittedly not excellent) selection of breakfast cereals to see if any of them was much healthier than the others. I was surprised to find that Froot Loops actually has less sugar and more fiber than most of them. (OK, not less sugar than Special K, but Special K is basically a package of air.)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Dec 2017, 12:24

JD wrote:My office has a pantry, and I was looking through the (admittedly not excellent) selection of breakfast cereals to see if any of them was much healthier than the others. I was surprised to find that Froot Loops actually has less sugar and more fiber than most of them. (OK, not less sugar than Special K, but Special K is basically a package of air.)
I am pretty sure that the reason is that froot loops are relatively large and bulky. So a half cup serving is less mass than other cereals. I noticed the same thing with honeycomb.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Dec 2017, 18:23

When I'm done making my bachelor chow (chicken and veggies in the crock pot), I'm left with a large amount of liquid when I'm done. It's a delicious combo of spicy, savory, and salty. What can I do with this stuff besides toss it? Anything besides boiling it down into a stock/broth?

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 Dec 2017, 18:27

Honestly, it basically is a stock at that point.

Use it to deglaze your pans when you sear stuff, or use it for anything savory that needs liquid in it.

Edit: or use it as the base liquid in the crock pot the next week when you cook the next batch.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Dec 2017, 18:45

Add it to a roux and make gravy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Dec 2017, 15:08

McArdle continues her track record of wrongness

(Full disclosure I bought multiple Christmas presents based on her kitchen gift advice this year.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Dec 2017, 15:27

Depends on stove. On my only good burner I’m within spitting distance of the electric kettle time. Any other burner is way slower. So, as always with my shit ceramic top range, I have to asks what the best use of the good burner happens to be. Dedicated kettle of decent quality eliminates tea from cooking space deliberations.

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Dec 2017, 15:45

If you have an induction range or a professional gas range, there's no chance you're beating a good electric kettle. Also, she says don't pay a lot for non-sticks and recommends ... All-Clad Induction ready. Does her car buying guide say, "Buy something reasonably priced, practical and reliable, I recommend you get the Alfa Romeo Giulia."
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Dec 2017, 16:00

I would have assumed a pro gas range would crush it on total BTUs.