Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13478
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Food

Post by Ellie »

"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 19072
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Food

Post by lunchstealer »

That is how you do it, people. Never seen brisket do that, neither. Maybe it does, but I ain't seen it.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
JD
Posts: 12206
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Food

Post by JD »

Today's lunch: tasty tacos made from pig parts, namely oreja and buche. (And one tinga, too.)
Taco trucks on every corner: yes please.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13898
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Food

Post by Highway »

JD wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 15:23 Today's lunch: tasty tacos made from pig parts, namely oreja and buche. (And one tinga, too.)
Taco trucks on every corner: yes please.
Only if the food truck markup goes away. Every food truck around here has about a 50% additional markup for what you'd get from a brick and mortar restaurant (if you went to it). I like me some food truck food, but always feel like I got kinda ripped off.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
User avatar
JD
Posts: 12206
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Food

Post by JD »

Highway wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 16:23
JD wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 15:23 Today's lunch: tasty tacos made from pig parts, namely oreja and buche. (And one tinga, too.)
Taco trucks on every corner: yes please.
Only if the food truck markup goes away. Every food truck around here has about a 50% additional markup for what you'd get from a brick and mortar restaurant (if you went to it). I like me some food truck food, but always feel like I got kinda ripped off.
I dunno, the prices are fairly reasonable around here. (I figure that this is such a high cost-of-living area that salary, vehicle registration, regulatory compliance, etc. probably make running a food truck just as expensive as a restaurant!) The tacos cost me $2 each, and while they were pretty small, I can't see myself getting comparable tacos for any less than $1.50 anywhere else unless maybe it was a bar having Taco Tuesday night, in which case they'd just be a loss leader for beer.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13898
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Food

Post by Highway »

JD wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 07:59
Highway wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 16:23
JD wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 15:23 Today's lunch: tasty tacos made from pig parts, namely oreja and buche. (And one tinga, too.)
Taco trucks on every corner: yes please.
Only if the food truck markup goes away. Every food truck around here has about a 50% additional markup for what you'd get from a brick and mortar restaurant (if you went to it). I like me some food truck food, but always feel like I got kinda ripped off.
I dunno, the prices are fairly reasonable around here. (I figure that this is such a high cost-of-living area that salary, vehicle registration, regulatory compliance, etc. probably make running a food truck just as expensive as a restaurant!) The tacos cost me $2 each, and while they were pretty small, I can't see myself getting comparable tacos for any less than $1.50 anywhere else unless maybe it was a bar having Taco Tuesday night, in which case they'd just be a loss leader for beer.
Yeah, a typical food truck price here would be like $9 to $11 for 3 tacos. All the food trucks here are trying to position themselves as premium things, not as ordinary cheap things.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 19072
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Food

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 08:06
JD wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 07:59
Highway wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 16:23
JD wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 15:23 Today's lunch: tasty tacos made from pig parts, namely oreja and buche. (And one tinga, too.)
Taco trucks on every corner: yes please.
Only if the food truck markup goes away. Every food truck around here has about a 50% additional markup for what you'd get from a brick and mortar restaurant (if you went to it). I like me some food truck food, but always feel like I got kinda ripped off.
I dunno, the prices are fairly reasonable around here. (I figure that this is such a high cost-of-living area that salary, vehicle registration, regulatory compliance, etc. probably make running a food truck just as expensive as a restaurant!) The tacos cost me $2 each, and while they were pretty small, I can't see myself getting comparable tacos for any less than $1.50 anywhere else unless maybe it was a bar having Taco Tuesday night, in which case they'd just be a loss leader for beer.
Yeah, a typical food truck price here would be like $9 to $11 for 3 tacos. All the food trucks here are trying to position themselves as premium things, not as ordinary cheap things.
Yeah, instead of kickass lengua tacos for two bucks, you get tacos of slow-braised short ribs with shaved jicama in a ponzu aioli for $12, until 9PM when they switch over to only serving kiwi acai or strawberry jackfruit sorbets because the ones in normieville are following the trend that food trucks are the place for culinary experimentation!
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13478
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Food

Post by Ellie »

"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15105
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Food

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ellie wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 15:32
Cue the X-Files theme.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1732
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Food

Post by dead_elvis »

Ha, reminds me of the time I tried to make Hello Kitty eggs for my wife, but things didn't go the way I'd hoped so it came out more like Grumpy Cat, or possibly a sleestack.
Grumpy Cat Eggs.png
Grumpy Cat Eggs.png (441.71 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 26099
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Food

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 14:34 Oh, fuckleducks. Turns out the cheesecloth we bought is not cheesecloth after all, but a package of -- I guess you'd call them open-top envelopes, made of paper like that used in coffee filters.

Behold the perils of illiteracy. I'm SURE Jeff and I would've known better than to buy that, if only we could read Chinese.
*preens*

All this time later, and I have come up with a great use for these: when I make bacon, which I do by baking the entire pound in the oven, on little racks mounted in baking pans lined with aluminum foil (for ease of cleaning), I do like to save the fat, which is very tasty for frying eggs and certain savory things, and those little envelope/bags turn out to make perfect strainers, letting the liquid fat through while catching every last particle of solid bacon.

(By the way: while the front of the package is indeed entirely in Chinese, only tonight did I notice that on the back of the package there is one phrase in English: these are "herbal bags.")
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13478
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Food

Post by Ellie »

dead_elvis wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 18:20 Ha, reminds me of the time I tried to make Hello Kitty eggs for my wife, but things didn't go the way I'd hoped so it came out more like Grumpy Cat, or possibly a sleestack.

Grumpy Cat Eggs.png
I don't know how I missed this post the first time -- OMG I LOVE IT.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13478
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Food

Post by Ellie »

Asking for a friend whose husband works at a produce warehouse and brings home large quantities out of the blue: what to do with 100 pounds of fingerling potatoes and 50 pounds of onions?
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1732
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Food

Post by dead_elvis »

Add fifty pounds of sauerkraut and 50 pounds of ground meat, fry it up in the worlds largest novelty frying pan, call it dinner. And I hope they have a big freezer.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 26099
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Food

Post by Jennifer »

I remember a Lewis Grizzard column from the 1970s or 80s (later reprinted in a book) where he waxed rhapsodic about Vidalia onions, a special type which can only be grown in a relatively small part of Georgia. They're only in season for a short time, and I guess if you try storing them by merely dumping them in a root cellar (or whatever) they'll go bad, but (he said) the secret to VIdalia storage without them rotting is to store them so they do not touch each other. The guy who told Lewis this trick used his wife's old pantyhose to do this: put in an onion that goes all the way to the bottom, tie a knot right above it, add another onion, and so on.

Of course this was back when pantyhose were far more commonplace (I think now they're dying out, and good riddance), almost any home with an adult woman was bound to have a few pairs somewhere, AND I'm sure the amount of onions he had was far less than 50 pounds. So I don't know if this anecdote will be useful at all.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13478
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Food

Post by Ellie »

dead_elvis wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 19:35 I hope they have a big freezer.
They have at least four freezers! Haha. They are set for freezing whatever they make. My friend is just feeling stumped on what to cook.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13898
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Food

Post by Highway »

All I can think of is lots and lots of hash browns.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7610
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Food

Post by Jadagul »

Like, dead_elvis already got it. :P

Potatoes and onions fried up is delicious, only thing it's missing is meat and maybe cheese.
User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1732
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Food

Post by dead_elvis »

Jadagul wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 13:23 and maybe cheese.
Typical american, has to put cheese on everything... ;) (this is my wife's observation about american food)
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 19072
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Food

Post by lunchstealer »

Potatoes and onions are precisely the kinds of root vegetables that people store in bulk and eat over the winter. They'll be a little soft after a couple or three months but not inedible, if stored outside of light, and IIRC Alton Brown suggested that onions and potatoes should be kept apart from each other. No particular mention of separating onions from each other that I recall, but I suspect that letting air circulate and preventing moisture from lingering on an onion by keeping an air channel between the onions.

I could be wrong.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 19072
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Food

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 08:52 All I can think of is lots and lots of hash browns.
Yup, there are a bunch of related 'hash' dishes based on potato and onions, either breakfasts or lunch/supper/dinner-appropriate options. Throw some ham in there and top it with a fried egg and that's real tasty. Throw some beans in or egg and chorizo and serve in a tortilla and you've got breakfast tacos.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Food

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 14:32 Potatoes and onions are precisely the kinds of root vegetables that people store in bulk and eat over the winter. They'll be a little soft after a couple or three months but not inedible, if stored outside of light, and IIRC Alton Brown suggested that onions and potatoes should be kept apart from each other. No particular mention of separating onions from each other that I recall, but I suspect that letting air circulate and preventing moisture from lingering on an onion by keeping an air channel between the onions.

I could be wrong.
I keep onions and potatoes on hand at all times. Onions do well just in the dark with a little air around them. Potatoes need cellar temperature (~60F) to keep from rotting. Also you want to check on them no less than every other week. If you detect the least little smell of rotting potato you need to find the offender and check it's neighbors too. If you don't catch it in time, it will turn to mush and the rot will spread.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15105
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Food

Post by Eric the .5b »

dead_elvis wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 14:23
Jadagul wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 13:23 and maybe cheese.
Typical american, has to put cheese on everything... ;) (this is my wife's observation about american food)
Thanks to the Dairy Board, apparently.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7610
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Food

Post by Jadagul »

I've never managed to keep potatoes good for more than like a week and a half. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but not entirely sure what.

(Probably keeping them in a cabinet would be the first step, but then I'd never remember I had them. And even when I've done that they haven't lasted _that_ long.)
User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 26099
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Food

Post by Jennifer »

Since moving to Atlanta, I mostly stopped buying potatoes because I can't even go through a five-pound bag before some start rotting. (Not "sprouting"; rotting.) Now when I want to make something like stuffed baked potatoes, I go out to the store the day I intend to make them, and buy only as many as I intend to cook that night.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Post Reply