Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: Food

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Mar 2019, 12:56

Highway wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 11:35
You can't just throw the whole ice pack out?
Yeah they're just a plastic sac with some trash in them. From a packaging perspective throwing those bastards directly in the dumpster is zero percent problematic, rounding to the nearest thousandth.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Mar 2019, 13:03

And to answer the first question, yes I've used Hello Fresh for a while, and now use Green Chef. Both work. Green Chef was bought by Hello Fresh not long ago. mrs lunch has started having blood sugar issues, so we switched to Green Chef to get their keto menu, since Hello Fresh was pretty high on couscous, potatoes, and rice plus lots of sauces made with jam or honey. Not doing keto, just a lower sugar/simple-starch thing and Green Chef's keto menu was most amenable to that.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Mar 2019, 13:45

I did Blue Apron for a spell. Just throw the gel packs away.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 07 Mar 2019, 13:59

JasonL wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:16
Does anyone use online cold food delivery of any sort? I use Porter Road as a butcher sometimes.

I find myself anxious about what to do with the gel ice packs. They will very quickly take over your life if you order with some regularity. I'd like to be able to re-use them but I don't have a chest freezer or any real use for them to be honest. They can't go down the drain but it feels really odd to drain the slime into a garbage bag.
We use Butcher Box, and they pack their stuff in dry ice, so it just sublimes away.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Mar 2019, 14:15

Hmm. I thought it was bad to throw plastic wrapped and sealed stuffs into the trash.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Mar 2019, 15:23

JasonL wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 14:15
Hmm. I thought it was bad to throw plastic wrapped and sealed stuffs into the trash.
You can cut it and drain it (assuming they're like the ones HF and GC use) and then toss it. I'm not familiar with a general rule about sealed plastic wrap. If I have chicken that's getting too old to use, it's not like I don't tightly seal it before I throw it out.

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Mar 2019, 15:07

JasonL wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 14:15
This is one of those things where over zeal has made me not give a shit.
Old batteries, florescent tubes, phones, smoke detectors, expired drugs... what isn't bad to throw in the trash? I throw it all in there. Before quick lube was a thing, we use to dispose of old motor oil by poring into the ground up by the house under the trash cans where we didn't want anything to grow.
If freezer packs aren't suppose to go in the trash, I don't know anything about it. But even if I did, I wouldn't give a shit.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Mar 2019, 13:35

Best part of St. Paddy's day, The Day After Reuben
Reuben.jpg
Reuben.jpg (148.15 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Midday beer mandatory.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2019, 15:41

Here is a culinary mystery for the detectives of the Gryll: we all know the cooking rule "sweet kills heat" -- if a sauce or whatever is too spicy-hot, adding some sugar will reduce the spiciness WITHOUT adding noticeable "sweetness."

Meanwhile, some time ago I mentioned discovering and making frequent use of a knockoff recipe for Taco Bell's deliciously addictive quesadilla sauce -- basically a spicy jalapeno mayonnaise. I make the sauce in bulk: rather than a single-serving amount, I'll convert an entire 14-ounce jar of mayo into quesadilla sauce. Other than mayo, the single most common ingredient is diced jalapenos and jalapeno juice. But if you ignore the mayo and jalapenos and look only at the "dry" ingredients, the single most common ingredient in the recipe is sugar: for a 14-ounce mayo jar, the recipe calls for 5.25 teaspoons of sugar, compared to 3.5 teaspoons each of cumin and paprika, less than a teaspoon each of cayenne and garlic powder, and "eight dashes" of salt. Sugar is roughly 40 percent of the dry ingredients in the sauce.

So, given that I'm trying to reduce my sugar/carb intake, and ALSO trying to build up my tolerance for spiciness, the last time I made jalapeno mayonnaise I did not add any sugar at all, and figured the resulting sauce would be spicier than usual. Except ... I personally noticed no taste/spice difference. How the heck is is this possible?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Mar 2019, 15:50

I think about sweet and heat as a "curbs the excesses of" rule not a "always reduces felt heat at any margin" rule. A spicy curry that leaves the palette burning can be chased with a Riesling to great effect. The heat is still felt but it is not as lingeringly potent, but if you have a dish with a moderate amount of heat in the first place it isn't necessarily the case that without sugar there would be a ton more felt heat.

Also there is wild variation in the heat of individual chilies. I find myself always first getting the heat to a good warmth then afterwards adding honey or something to reduce it back down if needed.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2019, 16:08

Hmm. If that is true -- I have absolutely no idea what purpose adding sugar to that recipe is supposed to serve, then. Just adds "empty" carbs and calories while doing nothing whatsoever to the flavor.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Mar 2019, 16:10

It sounds nightmarish so I can't really suggest an improvement. Throw out all the mayo would be my first step.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2019, 16:22

JasonL wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 16:10
It sounds nightmarish
Had someone just walked up and recommended it out of the blue I likely would be horrified too. (Ditto for the mayo-based "Halal Guys" white sauce knockoff recipe -- until a couple years ago, I could honestly say that NEVER ONCE in my life had I bought or used a jar of mayonnaise. FWIW, I still think mayo is vile as a CONDIMENT, but it often is a good INGREDIENT. Kinda like how lemon juice would be thoroughly vile if served straight as a beverage... but it's a very good ingredient in a lot of different things.)

However, I learned to love the Halal Guys gyro sauce and Taco Bell steak-quesadilla sauce long before I thought to look up online knockoff recipes for them and discovered they both have a mayonnaise base (especially the Halal Guys sauce -- I would've guessed it had some type of yogurt or dairy base, and never would've thought it would actually be kosher-observant for a Jew to put that sauce on meat).

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Mar 2019, 16:38

JasonL wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 10:16
Does anyone use online cold food delivery of any sort? I use Porter Road as a butcher sometimes.

I find myself anxious about what to do with the gel ice packs. They will very quickly take over your life if you order with some regularity. I'd like to be able to re-use them but I don't have a chest freezer or any real use for them to be honest. They can't go down the drain but it feels really odd to drain the slime into a garbage bag.
Wait...they don't use dry ice?

I guess they come cold but not frozen, is that the story?

(I get dog food and smoothies delivered and they come packed with CO2.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2019, 16:48

Many years ago, Jeff would occasionally buy stuff from Omaha Steaks; their goods came packaged in coolers stuffed with dry ice. Looked very cool and spooky and gothy to discard the ice by putting it in a kitchen sinkful of water and seeing the white fog creep out of the sink and cover the kitchen floor knee-deep. (Also, retroactive kudos to me for remembering to chase Jeff's cat out of the kitchen when it tried wandering through that CO2 fog with only the tip of its tail poking above it.)

JD

Post by JD » 18 Mar 2019, 17:00

nicole wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 16:38

Interesting - I found this:
If you're thinking about using dry ice to keep your perishables frozen, it's important to know that dry ice is considered a dangerous good/hazardous material and this requires special handling.
(https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/perishables.html)

UPS doesn't seem to take it as seriously (https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/p ... lants.page) The USPS does call it a hazardous material, but the rules don't seem too onerous (https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxc_029.htm)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Mar 2019, 17:04

Dry ice has given way to frozen gels in packages in at least some delivery services. If you re-use them I'm sure they are more efficient over a lifecycle, but the average home can't possibly find a use for these packs. It seems wasteful like there should be a way to get the packs back into the shipping business. I feel like maybe the UPS store might be able to get use out of them.

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Mar 2019, 17:23

JD wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 17:00
nicole wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 16:38

Interesting - I found this:
If you're thinking about using dry ice to keep your perishables frozen, it's important to know that dry ice is considered a dangerous good/hazardous material and this requires special handling.
(https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/perishables.html)

UPS doesn't seem to take it as seriously (https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/p ... lants.page) The USPS does call it a hazardous material, but the rules don't seem too onerous (https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxc_029.htm)
Funnily enough all my dry ice deliveries come via FedEx.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 19 Mar 2019, 04:39

Warren wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 13:35
Reuben.jpg
Midday beer mandatory.
Nice.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Mar 2019, 12:56

dbcooper wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 04:39
Warren wrote:
Reuben.jpg
Midday beer mandatory.
Nice.
Thanks for noticing.
Made my own 1,000 Island. Replaced half the mayo with greek yogurt and sweet relish with dill.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 Mar 2019, 04:52

Warren wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 12:56
dbcooper wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 04:39
Warren wrote:
Reuben.jpg
Midday beer mandatory.
Nice.
Thanks for noticing.
Made my own 1,000 Island. Replaced half the mayo with greek yogurt and sweet relish with dill.
I've been substituting greek yogurt in a lot of things too. Made some "spanish" vegetable soup recently, and mixed in greek yogurt, instead creme fraiche, when serving. Wonderfully creamy and tart, but without any of the heaviness or subsequent digestive problems.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Food

Post by JasonL » 20 Mar 2019, 08:51

Me too. Works well in Indian things.

ETA : I still have a love affair with Mexican crema tho. All chili braises get a bit in the bowl.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 20 Mar 2019, 22:39

You guys suck. My dinner of Stilton, crackers and salami seems, I dunno, lacking by comparison.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Mar 2019, 04:35

so i got roped into making dinner this friday for a small group with the following (legitimate) conditions:

- gluten free
- dairy free
- no meat because lent

this combination sucks.

solution: everyone is getting falafel and homemade hummus, a salad spread, and some pita.

except the gf people because no one makes gf pita and if they did they'd be 2 bucks a piece.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Mar 2019, 06:56

Is fish meat in this context?