Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Food

Post by JasonL » 02 Feb 2019, 14:57

I make a dipping sauce that uses sherry vinegar and soy. It’s pretty good.

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Feb 2019, 14:16

Our new range was delivered today, the (there's only one) GE Profile Freestanding Induction range. Not super fancy, pretty much the low end of induction ranges, but I feel a lot more comfortable with a GE appliance than a Samsung, LG, or even Frigidaire. Now to find out which pots work on which burners.

"Yes, we know it needs 'special' cookware. We already have it."

The issue is more that the burners need a minimum size pot, and the largest burner's minimum size is 8 inches, which is pretty darn big for cookware, especially a house with 2 people. The other burners minimums are 5-3/4 inches (x2) and 4-3/4 inches (x1 plus 'warmer' pad).

Oh, and the Frigidaire's minimum size on the largest burner? 11 inches. Yeah, not happening.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Feb 2019, 14:18

Stainless, cast iron, enamel cast iron and steel.

https://food52.com/blog/18084-the-what- ... ble-metals

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Feb 2019, 15:11

Yeah, we have pots that aren't any of that, but are induction ready (because of the base construction), and they work fine. It's just the sizing that we need to work on.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Feb 2019, 10:51

Soo ... miso dressing using red instead of white miso. Using 2/3 the miso you'd use with white is not enough of a cut. Probably 1 tbsp miso to 1/4c vinegar and no more. That sht is potent.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Feb 2019, 13:44

Highway wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 14:16
The issue is more that the burners need a minimum size pot, and the largest burner's minimum size is 8 inches, which is pretty darn big for cookware, especially a house with 2 people. The other burners minimums are 5-3/4 inches (x2) and 4-3/4 inches (x1 plus 'warmer' pad).
The burners need a minimum-sized pot? What would happen if you used a too-small one--is it simply a matter of not wanting to waste heat energy, or would actual problems ensue?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Feb 2019, 15:14

Jennifer wrote:
Highway wrote:
The burners need a minimum-sized pot? What would happen if you used a too-small one--is it simply a matter of not wanting to waste heat energy, or would actual problems ensue?
If it's just a little too small, it just performs very poorly, almost like it's not on. If it's a lot too small, it blinks and turns off.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Feb 2019, 15:36

Highway wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 15:14
Jennifer wrote:
Highway wrote:
If it's just a little too small, it just performs very poorly, almost like it's not on. If it's a lot too small, it blinks and turns off.
I've never heard of a burner with such a trait before. I'm guessing maybe this is intended as some type of safety feature (ensuring an empty burner is not left on, or something)?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Feb 2019, 15:40

Its a feature of how an induction burner works. Induction heat depends on an interface between magnetic fields in the "burner" and the pan itself. The magnetic fields fluctuate in such a way as to induce currents in the pan itself, and those currents heat the pan. The induction burner itself is cool to the touch.

So, there are configurations that have your pans too small to be in the right spot for magnetic induction to work efficiently and it isn't great.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Feb 2019, 15:52

Interesting. So I'm guessing the pots and pans have to be iron or steel -- no copper or glass/Pyrex stuff?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Feb 2019, 15:54

Stainless, cast iron, enamel cast iron and steel.

https://food52.com/blog/18084-the-what- ... ble-metals

Or something created with an "induction base" that reacts to the magnets then heats some other non magnetic material.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Feb 2019, 20:29

It's about over stressing the burner. Same idea as "don't run the microwave without anything in it".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Feb 2019, 23:28

cristian555 wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 23:04
Kimchi, a staple in Korean cuisine, is a famous traditional side dish made from salted and fermented vegetables, most commonly napa cabbage and Korean radishes, with a variety of seasonings, including gochugaru, scallions, garlic, ginger, and jeotgal
Welcome, cristian555. Not sure what your point is, though. A few of our members are already familiar with Korean cuisine.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Feb 2019, 08:32

more like 501 turds amirite

anyway i made this last night

http://tworedbowls.com/2018/10/26/gochu ... purgatory/

oh hell yes
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

JasonL

Food

Post by JasonL » 12 Feb 2019, 08:55

I love shakshuka type things but I have a real problem controlling egg doneness. There is substantial variance between the first egg that goes in and the last, carryover cooking is exacerbated by sauciness and to me fully solid yolk is trash food outside of a few special cases.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Feb 2019, 10:42

yolks were half cooked and worked out well for my audience. i would have done kale but did spring greens instead and it was fantastic. i plan on making this on the regular as the cost per serving is really easily controlled (i don't buy fancy eggs) and the gochujang paste lasts forever (because it is hellfire).

if i'd done it in cast iron it would have cooked much faster, probably.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Feb 2019, 11:06

Half cooked or "ramen egg" with lava like yolk is perfect for me. On a large egg that's 6 mins 45 seconds of boil then the ice bath. Pretty precisely that time. I can deal with runny yolk and set whites - that's fine too. I can't abide fully cooked yolks. If you leave it in cast iron the carry over heat murders your eggs.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Feb 2019, 11:21

By the way if I were making that I'd strongly consider using sauteed kimchi (can caramelize in a bit of sesame oil if you want) in lieu of the bulk of aromatics in that recipe. I would add green scallion ends at the end and white ends at the beginning with the kimchi. I would consider a shot of soy or fish sauce or even anchovies for umami.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Feb 2019, 11:47

kimchi would be dope but it's probably a no sale for the 9 year old. if i can get him to eat kale weekly i see that as a big win. He had his first run in with too spicy yesterday (we made a dipping sauce experiment with gochujang and honey and it was good but hella zesty.

i added some dill on the herb side, fresh basil would have been preferred.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 13 Feb 2019, 12:50

JasonL wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 10:51
Soo ... miso dressing using red instead of white miso. Using 2/3 the miso you'd use with white is not enough of a cut. Probably 1 tbsp miso to 1/4c vinegar and no more. That sht is potent.
You spelled 'good' wrong.

I make a red miso dressing/marinade for blanched asparagus or green beans out of miso, chili paste, mirin, a little sugar, and white scallion bits.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Feb 2019, 15:21

I tried making pork bone broth (tonkotsu) for ramen using the Serious Eats / Food Lab method, and it came out... not very good? I used pork neck bones instead of trotters, no fatback, and regular "western" aromatics with a slab of ginger and a star anise, and did the whole blanch the bones before hand thing and let it bubble away at a medium simmer for 6 hours. And it had very little flavor. I get that Japanese broths can be subtle, but this was just bland. I added a fair amount of salt, white pepper, 5-spice powder, a bit of szechuan pepper, and toasted sesame oil to get it to even register. I wonder if leaving out the extra fatback was a mistake, even though there was plenty of fat rendered out of just the neck bones. Good collagen too; the chilled broth is firmly gelatinous. Just flavor-weak.

What's really weird however, is that once I picked the meat off the bones, boiled up some noodles, and served up bowls with some meat, corn, SB egg, scallions, and a splash of soy sauce, it was actually pretty good. It's like the broth needed all that other stuff to sit in it for 10 minutes to really liven up.

Needs further investigations.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Food

Post by JasonL » 19 Feb 2019, 15:35

There may be something about trotters having an extraordinary amount of collagen relative to other pork bones. I had the same experience. Thin unpleasant broth after 5 hours.

My resolution was to start with dashi first then use pork bones in that next time.

Edit: Ahh I see yours wasn’t thin. That’s the necks which I also couldn’t find. Try starting with dashi which dropping an umami bomb.

Further edit: I also noted that I’d roast the bones next time.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Feb 2019, 16:15

Starting with dashi is a good idea. I'm also tempted to start with roasted bones as well, but was also trying to go as 'authentic' as I could first time out. I'm lucky that my local supermarket routinely has both neck bones and trotters for pretty cheap.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Mar 2019, 11:02

Had a woman who cooks pretty authentic mexican tell me that white people mexican recipes use a lot more cumin than actual mexican recipes. I will say, the way I learned the flavor profile it's pretty cumin heavy. I'm wondering now if I'm selecting white guy recipes or if she had a regional experience within Mexico where it's less common than other places.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Mar 2019, 11:04

JasonL wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 11:02
Had a woman who cooks pretty authentic mexican tell me that white people mexican recipes use a lot more cumin than actual mexican recipes. I will say, the way I learned the flavor profile it's pretty cumin heavy. I'm wondering now if I'm selecting white guy recipes or if she had a regional experience within Mexico where it's less common than other places.
I'm cumin heavy because I like cumin. 'Authenticity' has a specific culinary definition, it means "Tastes like poverty".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT