Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Food

Post by JasonL » 16 Nov 2018, 10:23

i've never understood how the technically correct people don't have the lower stick slide off the finger. It's 2.5 seconds into any eating effort for me with that grip.

Part of it is pincer pressure is overrated. In general you don't go sticks down, pinch and pick up. You go sticks from the side and sort of scoop with very mild holding pressure.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Nov 2018, 10:26

Highway wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 09:54
Of course either way I end up with a sore hand due to not doing it enough.
That's what she said.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Nov 2018, 10:35

JasonL wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 10:23
i've never understood how the technically correct people don't have the lower stick slide off the finger. It's 2.5 seconds into any eating effort for me with that grip.
I don't see how it's any different with your grip. That's why I use the pad of my finger.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Nov 2018, 10:49

Uh, hard to describe. With the correct grip what winds up preventing the slip of the bottom stick is really just the side of the finger pad right at the top knuckle. Lots of japanese people have a noticeable callous right at that knuckle on the side. If you hold the sticks strictly perpendicular to your wrist, that is okay. However, if your grip allows the sticks to "point forward" at all, you have increased the angle in a way that causes the stick to slip over the knuckle on the ring finger and it all goes to hell.

In my grip, the distance between the pressure in the thumb and the support finger being so close together allows - at least for me - considerable angle flexibility while remaining stable. I can even apply a little bit of lower stick pressure to the gripping of a thing. I suspect that comfort with the base in the correct model has a lot to do with natural comfortable angle of sticks being 90 degrees plus maybe having the callous if it isn't that natural.

nicole

Post by nicole » 16 Nov 2018, 10:53

JasonL wrote:

Part of it is pincer pressure is overrated. In general you don't go sticks down, pinch and pick up. You go sticks from the side and sort of scoop with very mild holding pressure.
Hmm. I’m going to have to think about this next time because I do it the “right” way and find it super easy.

I’m lefty and use my left hand. (I’m slightly ambidextrous like Warren but heavily favor the left.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Nov 2018, 11:39

JasonL wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 10:49
Yah I like grilling okay and I love eating on patio, but in terms of overall cooking happiness, Dutch Oven braising season is my favorite.
A late cosign to this.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 16 Nov 2018, 13:10

I think I hold chopsticks the "right" way, but I learned so early I don't really think about it, and now that I have to think about it, I'm having a centipede problem where nothing seems right.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Nov 2018, 13:25

FWIW, I've never had any problem using chopsticks the correct way: you pick them up in your right hand (or left, if you're left-handed), hold them high enough to get the waiter's attention, then once you have the latter, ask him to bring you a fork. E-Z.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Nov 2018, 15:12

After several good-faith attempts over the years to train myself to become adept at chopsticks, I have basically given up and now use/ask for a fork when I can. I'm no longer embarrassed to ask, at least here in america fuck yeah. If I even get the opportunity to travel to Japan or China, I'll reconsider practicing before I go.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Nov 2018, 15:16

Always good to remember Japanese use spoons for fried rice. Nigiri sushi can be eaten with hands and often is.

Bowl of ramen is a chop sticks optimized experience tho.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Nov 2018, 15:34

So, this is a thing I started doing some months ago. It's an obvious thing, I expect it's been done before, but I've never come across it.
I save my snack bag dregs. When the pieces get too small to respectably eat, but there's too much to just throw away, I crunch up the dregs in the bag and poor them into a canister. Any and all crunchy-salty snacks that come in a bag. Potato chips, pretzels, corn chips, popcorn, etc. Any flavor, BBQ, Sea Salt and Vinegar, Nacho Cheese, whatever.

Then I use them for breading. Nevermind Panko, snack dregs are the best bread crumb substitute. They're full of salt and starch, and a bit oily. Unflavored rippled potato chips are probably my number one, followed by white cheddar popcorn, and white corn nacho chips. When I want to fry chicken breasts, I scoop out a third of a cup or so for dredging. I usually give it a spin in the mini food processor to break up the bigger pieces and get it well mixed. I cut back the on salt I season the meat with directly. Egg wash prior to breading remains optional.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Nov 2018, 17:33

JasonL wrote:
I dunno; it seems to stay there pretty well in practice. It's stabilized by actually gripping anything; when there's any load on it, it's effectively cradled by thumb and finger. Or maybe I'm doing something weird.

I actually looked up videos on it, yesterday, and the key thing I do wrong is treating the sticks like pens and holding them too close to the front ends. I made myself hold them near the middle and found it a lot easier, last night. Still something to get used to. I certainly don't manage to go whole hog and slurp up noodles while simultaneously using the chopsticks to pull the noodles up quicker.

(Also, while the chicken was nice, the pork ramen is just so much better...)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 18 Nov 2018, 04:27

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 17:33
Getting back to the meat (har, har) of this tangent, tonkotsu is a sublime dish. I've only had it prepared professionally once but it was 1000 times better than anything I could do in my kitchen.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Nov 2018, 05:50

Kwix wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 04:27
Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 17:33
Getting back to the meat (har, har) of this tangent, tonkotsu is a sublime dish. I've only had it prepared professionally once but it was 1000 times better than anything I could do in my kitchen.
It's also 'Western' enough that when traveling in Japan and you just can't deal with another dish of unidentified matter scraped from a rock at the bottom of the sea, a plate of tonkatsu is practically comfort food. I mean, it's pretty much what McRib would be if it weren't a thing of eldritch horror. When we go to the one legit Japanese restaurant around here (as opposed to pan-Asian or just all-you-can-eat sushi buffet or whatnot), everybody's all "Oh the sushi is so authentic" and I'm all sushi is dime a fucking dozen check this giant fucking plate of tonkatsu, bitches.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Nov 2018, 08:01

Known for raw fish, they are the best fryers of stuff in the world.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Nov 2018, 11:11

JasonL wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 08:01
That's saying something.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Nov 2018, 19:28

I was doing very well on my new "lower carbs" diet plan until I went to the annual Night Market a few weekends ago, and one Asian-supermarket stand was giving away free samples of "Indomie Mi Goreng" instant noodles, which are freaking addictive. It's basically like ramen, except that ramen is soup, and usually comes with just the one flavor packet you add to the water (IIRC; I haven't had actual "ramen" for years, since I learned how to actually cook); Indomie Mi Goreng is meant to be drained and served as noodles, and it comes with five different flavor packets which you're supposed to add according to your taste. What I do is discard the soy sauce, and add all four of the others. I tried reproducing the flavor on my own, with regular noodles plus the addition of chili sauce and onion powder (two of the five packets) and a bit of oil, but -- long story short -- I soon figured out that the addictive, I-can't-describe-it flavor of the Indomie offering is mostly due to the "minyak bumbu" seasoning oil that comes with each Indomie Mi Goreng packet. Did some online research in hope of finding a "minyak bumbu" recipe I could knock off myself, but no dice -- it appears that "minyak" basically means "oil," "goreng" means "fried," and "bumbu" is kind of an all-purpose Indonesian spice mix, but asking for THE Indonesian bumbu recipe is like asking for THE American barbecue sauce recipe: there are waaaaay too many different options under that label.

Right now I've got water boiling to make another packet of Indomie noodles, but during my last trip to an Asian supermarket I bought two spice packets which, maybe, I can add to flavorless cooking oil to make a passable knockoff of the Indomie "minyak bumbu" oil packet: "Spice paste for Indonesian Mee Goreng" and "Bumbu Instant/Nasi Goreng Pedas". Both packets list shrimp paste or shrimp powder with their ingredients, and most of the varied bumbu recipes I found online mention shrimp paste, so MAYBE one of these will work.

I kinda wish I'd never tried those sample noodles, though, because I share with the late Oscar Wilde the ability to resist anything except temptation.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Nov 2018, 08:46

JasonL wrote:
Korean Fried Chicken is better.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Nov 2018, 09:52

The koreans have an all time great on the floor but they don’t have the bench.

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Nov 2018, 12:25

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Nov 2018, 14:58

Warren wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 11:11
JasonL wrote:
That's saying something.
Well, the thing to remember is in Japanese culture, if something is worth doing, then some folks are going to dedicate their life, and maybe their children's lives, to doing it right.

I watched a weird little Japanese show on Hulu, I think, that was kinda like a quiz show about Japanese customs and why things are done the way they are. They had a 30 minute segment on tempura restaurants. And the 4 or 5 Japanese panelists got a lot of the questions wrong.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Nov 2018, 16:44

Mo wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 12:25
This is good.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/portland/ ... rger-quest#
It reveals a lot at any rate.
Nothing ruins a good thing like success, I've often said so.
As for the particulars, I bristled at this:
I can’t pretend that the stuff I noticed when I first walked in, the, ugh, authenticity of the place didn't help push it to the top of the list.
In culinary matters, authenticity is more often than not to be avoided like the plague. This case in particular, the author seems to be saying that having eaten so much really good food, he was grateful for some cheap crap for a change.
The whole notion that a good independently owned restaurant can remain open serving the same fare to the same community year after year, decade after decade, is misguided. What's true of small business in general goes double for restaurants: Grow or die. Being "too popular" is an oxymoron.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 19 Nov 2018, 22:10

Made gravlax for the wife and child. That went over well, and considering how easy it was, I’ll have to do it again sometime. I’m told it was good.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Nov 2018, 06:30

Warren wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 16:44
Mo wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 12:25
This is good.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/portland/ ... rger-quest#
It reveals a lot at any rate.
Nothing ruins a good thing like success, I've often said so.
As for the particulars, I bristled at this:
I can’t pretend that the stuff I noticed when I first walked in, the, ugh, authenticity of the place didn't help push it to the top of the list.
In culinary matters, authenticity is more often than not to be avoided like the plague. This case in particular, the author seems to be saying that having eaten so much really good food, he was grateful for some cheap crap for a change.
The whole notion that a good independently owned restaurant can remain open serving the same fare to the same community year after year, decade after decade, is misguided. What's true of small business in general goes double for restaurants: Grow or die. Being "too popular" is an oxymoron.
Nate Silver looked at the Yelp reviews from before the place got popular and the complaints were largely the same. So it seems like the review did not cause the decline so much as it magnified the exiting problems to a level that became untenable.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Nov 2018, 21:48

Do not purchase Organic Valley sharp cheddar cheese unless you want a cheese that tastes like a cow smells.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren