Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Food

Post by JasonL » 29 Jun 2018, 07:20

dbcooper wrote:
JasonL wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 23:15
I hate chuck overall. Even for braises. I’ve seen the chuck steak thing but can’t get past it.
What do you think of the "Flat Iron" steak? I had my butcher cut a couple from the top blade (infraspinatus). Not bad.
It is my favorite braise cut. Maybe tied with short ribs. I use it in beef stew, chili, etc.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 29 Jun 2018, 07:25

JasonL wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 23:15
I hate chuck overall. Even for braises. I’ve seen the chuck steak thing but can’t get past it.
Why is that? It's not nearly as good as short rib, but it's still tasty. And so so cheap.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Jun 2018, 07:32

Every chuck roast I’ve ever had was dry. Most pot roast are closer to dry sitting in wet than truly juicy meat. Yes great pot roast is really good. But - it’s a bit like brisket, it’s pretty bad about 75% of the time it’s been in my face. The biggest upgrade to beef stew is to ditch the chuck.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2018, 07:38

JasonL wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 07:32
Every chuck roast I’ve ever had was dry. Most pot roast are closer to dry sitting in wet than truly juicy meat. Yes great pot roast is really good. But - it’s a bit like brisket, it’s pretty bad about 75% of the time it’s been in my face. The biggest upgrade to beef stew is to ditch the chuck.
Heh. From Amazon's The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Pot roast, the Methodist version of brisket.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 29 Jun 2018, 15:40

JasonL wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 07:32
This is what the sous vide is for. You can serve it perfectly tender and still medium rare. It is not dry.

At its best it comes out like a high-end ribeye. At its worst it comes out like filet mignon.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Jun 2018, 16:01

Acting on a recommendation from one of Jeff's colleagues, last night we went to "Blaze Pizza" (which is NOT an Atlanta-exclusive restaurant but a national chain -- though not one I've heard of before.) It was freaking awesome. The pizza is made fast-fired Neapolitan style -- three minutes in the fire-oven, and it's done -- but it's also set up similar to a Subway sandwich shop: you go in, custom-order how you want your pizza made and actually see the staff make it, then sit at a table and wait for them to call your name so you can pick up your pizza. It's also very cheap -- IIRC, my one-topping pizza was less than $7 before tax, and Jeff's more elaborate "meat lover's" pizza (or whatever they called it) was about a dollar more -- our total bill for two pizzas plus Jeff's drink plus tax came out to only 18-something. If you like that style of pizza and there is a "Blaze" near you, I definitely recommend you give it a try.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Jun 2018, 18:27

Nothing closer than an hour's drive away, sadly. Though I'd have to be That Guy and get one without cheese, which is just kinda sad.

Hmm, the MOD Pizza place that opened up near my house looks like it's similar, though. (Huh, they even have a non-dairy topping it looks like I can digest. Excellent.)
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 29 Jun 2018, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 29 Jun 2018, 18:31

Huh. There's one a couple blocks from my apartment that I've been kinda-sorta meaning to check out for a few years. Maybe I'll move it up the list.

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Jun 2018, 20:07

We had a place called Bagby Pizza that was similar, and pretty good, but the owner decided he was tired of the restaurant business and closed them all. We have another chain called Pie Five that does the same thing, but their pizzas are definitely not as good.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Jun 2018, 20:27

Highway wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 20:07
We had a place called Bagby Pizza that was similar, and pretty good, but the owner decided he was tired of the restaurant business and closed them all. We have another chain called Pie Five that does the same thing, but their pizzas are definitely not as good.
It makes me incredibly sad when a restaurateur decides to bail but doesn't at least try to find a buyer.

My favorite local Italian place that had been in operation for the better part of a century complete with having been a legit mobster hangout back when that was a thing just up and closed without warning. The owner apparently was having health problems and didn't want to keep going, which is fine, but goddamn they did good business and if they could keep the same cooks and same suppliers and make an effort to keep the recipes the same, it could've been saved as a local institution. They had some takes on classic dishes that were totally unique. The spaghetti and capellini were hand cut rather than machine pressed, and it was incredible. The putanesca was to die for. Even the more traditional 'spaghetti with meat sauce' (I forget what they called it, exactly, but that's what it was) was the one that made me realize that all those people who put a bunch of green peppers in their spaghetti sauce weren't insane and wrong to think it could be done, they were just bad and wrong because they didn't know how to do it right and shouldn't have tried.

And now it's gone and I can't have any of it again.

Fyodor knows what I'm talkin' about.

And the one Irish bar I knew of that served Murphy's closed the week after.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Jun 2018, 20:29

Eric the .5b wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 18:27
Nothing closer than an hour's drive away, sadly. Though I'd have to be That Guy and get one without cheese, which is just kinda sad.
If by "That Guy" you mean you're worried that requesting a no-cheese pizza will make you a pain in the staff's ass, fear not: when I went there, they asked me before adding every ingredient, so if you were to say "No cheese for me, thanks," I doubt it would matter at all. (Of course if you don't like cheeseless pizzas, there's no point in you going there anyway. But if you do like fast-fired pizza with just the red sauce plus whatever meats and veggies you prefer, and you happen to find yourself close to that Blaze restaurant, I'd definitely recommend you drop in. Don't worry about being That Guy, because you won't be.)

Also, I forgot to mention: IIRC at least one person here is either gluten-free or has a spouse who is; Blaze Pizza does have no-gluten and thick-crust options (though those cost a bit more than the standard thin-crust pizza).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Jun 2018, 23:54

I went to the MOD Pizza around the corner from here, which appears to have the same sort of setup. The non-daily cheese worked out, and I had a tasty, crispy little pizza and side salad.

They also had a gluten-free crust, but, like with most places, it came with a warning that it was not free from contamination with gluten.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Jul 2018, 00:20

Cooked John Dory with a light lemon caper sauce yesterday. Pretty good.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Jul 2018, 08:56

There are few aromas more appetizing than fried pork breakfast sausage.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Jul 2018, 10:00

Sage and pig fat are 2 great tastes that taste great together.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Jul 2018, 11:02

Andrew wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 08:56
There are few aromas more appetizing than fried pork breakfast sausage.
JasonL wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 10:00
Sage and pig fat are 2 great tastes that taste great together.
2nd
I offer friendly amendment: Aroma improved even further with the addition of fresh brewed coffee.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Jul 2018, 13:55

Yeah Blaze Pizza is above average for non-NY-area.

Our post-move main grocery store has a mediocre deli counter and doesn't sell any unadulterated havarti and I am not happy.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Jul 2018, 16:55

I'll just leave this right here.

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jul 2018, 19:18

hur hur hur
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 11 Jul 2018, 03:29

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:55
I'll just leave this right here.

What? You don't like brisket and ribs?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jul 2018, 21:55

Ever pick up a bag of pretzel rods at the local discount store that are 6 months past their "best by" date only to find out they've gone stale? Try pulverizing them and using the crumbs for breading on chicken breasts. Serve with honey/mustard dipping sauce for bonus points.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT