Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kwix

Re: Food

Post by Kwix » 05 Feb 2018, 19:56

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 19:33
Are growlers (for beer) a thing everywhere now?
They have been here for over a decade. Almost all of the package stores have a growler bar here. One even has a couple wines and usually a sake on tap. Yes, 64oz of Ginjo is a bit much in one sitting. Good thing I have CO2 on hand.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Feb 2018, 21:28

There must have been an overproduction of turkey last Thanksgiving because at the end of the year ground turkey went on sale. We wound up with around ten pounds of the stuff. I have two go-to ground turkey recipes which I've made twice already this year. Thus leading to tonight's dinner: Turkey Burgers, Sweet Potato Fries, Bush's beans.
The burgers were surprisingly tasty. You'd never mistake them for beef patties, but I can see myself opting for the bird over cow on occasion. Recipe is standard animal flesh-loaf.
1lb Ground Turkey
0.5C Bread Crumbs
0.25 Finely Chopped Sweet Onion
1 Small Egg
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

Dress with your preferred burger condiments. I went with Swiss cheese, mushrooms, lettuce, and mustard.
Note: These patties cook up nicely but are strictly stovetop fare. Raw, they're far too soggy to hold together on a grill grate.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Feb 2018, 18:03

the tremendous variability in heat levels with store bought habaneros is frustrating but kind of fun. first time i used them two gave me nearly no spice. apparently five is a little too much. gonna try for three with the next run.

eta: i'm getting a slight pepper high right now.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 21 Feb 2018, 21:09

So, crockpots... I'm deciding on a chicken recipe for tomorrow... my wife is allergic to onions and bell peppers, so I'm always trying to think of what kind of veggies can be thrown into a crockpot without them turning into baby food. I like the set it and forget it nature of crackpots but I'd like the meal to be more complete than just meat+sauce+carbohydrate, and I imagine most vegetables are going to have as much appeal as vegetables that have been boiled for 6 hours. Ideas? Or am I asking the wrong question. Or is it as simple as "add veggies in final 15 minutes".
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 21 Feb 2018, 21:25

dead_elvis wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 21:09
So, crockpots... I'm deciding on a chicken recipe for tomorrow... my wife is allergic to onions and bell peppers, so I'm always trying to think of what kind of veggies can be thrown into a crockpot without them turning into baby food. I like the set it and forget it nature of crackpots but I'd like the meal to be more complete than just meat+sauce+carbohydrate, and I imagine most vegetables are going to have as much appeal as vegetables that have been boiled for 6 hours. Ideas? Or am I asking the wrong question. Or is it as simple as "add veggies in final 15 minutes".
Yeah, you can just toss veggies in in the last half hour or so if you want them to still be relatively uncooked.

Or you can get things that want to dissolve into the broth. Onions and bell peppers are out, but celery also works well for that. Carrots can also be pretty decent; they sweeten it, and they'll be very soft but definitely recognizable as carrots.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Feb 2018, 21:29

root vegetables can last in the sense that they are soft but not mush. carrots, parsnips, potatoes/sweet potatoes of course, celery root, yucca, uh ... stuff like that.

Most other vegetables you intend to have structure can be added in the last 30 minutes or, maybe even better, sauteed with a pinch of sugar to get caramel and added as an accompaniment.

The general structure of a braise should distinguish the aromatics used to flavor the broth from firm vegetables added at the end. It's always a second option to do the long cook on a vegetable itself.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Feb 2018, 21:44

I generally do two additions of carrots. Half at the beginning that cook to softness and give up much of their color and flavor to the broth and half in the last hour that remain bright and sweet, firm to the bite but with all the crunch cooked out.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Feb 2018, 23:16

Okra and tomatillos are good options, if you want something a little brighter.

I assume that if bell peppers are out that, say, anaheims or poblanos are out, too.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 22 Feb 2018, 15:47

lunchstealer wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 23:16
Okra ... something a little brighter.
:?: :?:
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Jake

Post by Jake » 22 Feb 2018, 16:08

Kwix wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 15:47
lunchstealer wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 23:16
Okra ... something a little brighter.
:?: :?:
Okra scores at or above the 85th percentile on the PSAT every single year.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 23 Feb 2018, 14:44

Thanks for the tips (unfortunately we both can't stand celery, and I'm not as into potatoes as I used to be) and validating the idea of throwing them in at the end. Ended up putting mushrooms and carrots in part way through, and at the end veggies under the broiler 'til they developed a little crispness and slight char (wanted to grill, but the 3 hours that it has rained in the last year had to happen during that exact time), threw them in at the end for about 15 minutes. Worked like a charm, chicken tenderly falling off the bone but veggies still had a little bite to them.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Feb 2018, 14:51

dead_elvis wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 14:44
(unfortunately we both can't stand celery...
I think you're doing it wrong. In crock pot application, celery is an aromatic. You put it in (usually along with carrots and onions) at the beginning to yummify your food. If you would sooner throw a hissy fit than put the remains in your mouth, you can leave them as large stalks and remove them prior to eating.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 25 Feb 2018, 09:25

honey kinda sucks.

kid said i wanna learn how to make the buns the bakery we can't go to anymore because the owner did a bad thing*. so i said ok and used bon appetite's recipe.

guys, baking is always a bit here or there. but this shit? i started yesterday afternoon. kid lost interest halfway through the process outside of stand mixer action.

i'm still going this morning. it's gotta rest and puff and rest and chill and roll and chill and rest and puff and fucking fuck this. and bake just exploded over tins and shot brown sugar across oven which i now get to clean.

buy your shit from a bakery. this is garbage.

* bad enough that i had to boycott the best bakery and coffee on the entire fucking eastern shore
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Feb 2018, 09:59

dhex wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 09:25
* bad enough that i had to boycott the best bakery and coffee on the entire fucking eastern shore
What? Like bake MAGA rolls?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 25 Feb 2018, 10:47

Sexual assault on one of his underage workers after getting her drunk at a party in bakery. Pulled an acd last year.

Townfolk weirdly don't give a fuck.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Feb 2018, 11:49

dhex wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 10:47
Sexual assault on one of his underage workers after getting her drunk at a party in bakery. Pulled an acd last year.

Townfolk weirdly don't give a fuck.
I wouldn't want him on the PTA committee, but I wouldn't let that get between me and a good loaf of seeded rye.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 25 Feb 2018, 13:11

Everyone has a line they gotta abide by.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 25 Feb 2018, 17:08

I do love me some island fried rice for breakfast. Normal fried rice, use spam for the meat, with some napa cabbage for the veg. Add a fried egg and a couple of slabs of spam on the side.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 25 Feb 2018, 18:21

dhex wrote:
honey kinda sucks.

kid said i wanna learn how to make the buns the bakery we can't go to anymore because the owner did a bad thing*. so i said ok and used bon appetite's recipe.

guys, baking is always a bit here or there. but this shit? i started yesterday afternoon. kid lost interest halfway through the process outside of stand mixer action.

i'm still going this morning. it's gotta rest and puff and rest and chill and roll and chill and rest and puff and fucking fuck this. and bake just exploded over tins and shot brown sugar across oven which i now get to clean.

Are you making like puff pastry or something? Because that shit is a pain. But most stuff isn't nearly that bad.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Feb 2018, 19:38

I have a pork, um, adobo thing working that is pretty nuts. Partially ottolenghi inspired from the flavors in a lentil soup of his I made. 5 guajillos, 2 anchos, 3 chipotle in adobo and a tbsp of aji amarillo paste form the chili base. I added to this base about 1/3c chopped medjool dates - replacing brown sugar. cumin, clove, cardamom, star anise form the spice base. Liquid is a quart of chicken stock, a cup of fresh oj, a tbsp of fish sauce. I made a latin kind of gremolata out of salt, garlic, orange zest and cilantro. I intended to have some mint in there to break up the cilantro and match with the orange but I forgot. I'm reducing it down to a thick consistency that might work for tacos I hope. It smells good if nothing else. I think I will squeeze another orange in at the end to brighten it up some....

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Feb 2018, 20:05

I have apparently discovered that homemade mayonnaise-based sauces can NOT be frozen for later use, because when they thaw they break apart into different liquids and gels which refuse to blend back together again.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 25 Feb 2018, 20:08

Jadagul wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 18:21
dhex wrote:
honey kinda sucks.

Are you making like puff pastry or something? Because that shit is a pain. But most stuff isn't nearly that bad.
It's the bon appetite cinnamon buns recipe. The amount of back and forth is just not worth the squeeze, especially as the recipe I'm trying to replicate is more of a buttery cinnamon and sugar roll than a typical bun. Puff pastry is more difficult but also less work.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 25 Feb 2018, 20:34

dhex wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 20:08
Jadagul wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 18:21
dhex wrote:
honey kinda sucks.

It's the bon appetite cinnamon buns recipe. The amount of back and forth is just not worth the squeeze, especially as the recipe I'm trying to replicate is more of a buttery cinnamon and sugar roll than a typical bun. Puff pastry is more difficult but also less work.
Huh. I was gonna say "wow, that sounds like overkill, why don't you just..."

And then I went and looked at the recipe, and except for the rolling it into a log bit it's pretty much exactly what I was gonna suggest. (Except I'd keep the rise down to like 2-3 hours rather than overnight).

Yeast, milk, bread flour, eggs, butter, sugar to make a brioche dough. Let it rise a couple hours. Shape into little rolls, let rise for an hour. Brush with cinnamon butter sugar, then bake.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Feb 2018, 21:08

Jennifer wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 20:05
I have apparently discovered that homemade mayonnaise-based sauces can NOT be frozen for later use, because when they thaw they break apart into different liquids and gels which refuse to blend back together again.
Correct. You can't really ever freeze an emulsion.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Feb 2018, 21:43

Well, dang.

/kicks the ground
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b