Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6615
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: Food

Post by tr0g » 27 Dec 2017, 19:01

Kwix wrote:
26 Dec 2017, 16:21
If I may be so bold, what was your kit? A crock-pot, temp controller and a circulator or something more arcane?
Heating element, PID controller, optical relay, thermocouple, small fountain pump. Use with any pot. Cost me less than 100 bucks when I built it.
Jadagul wrote:
25 Dec 2017, 17:36
Read Kenji Lopez-Alt at Serious Eats for both.
It's funny you say that since the Anova app is basically Kenji's Guide to Sous Vide.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23782
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Food

Post by Warren » 27 Dec 2017, 21:11

tr0g wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 19:01
Heating element, PID controller, optical relay, thermocouple, small fountain pump. Use with any pot. Cost me less than 100 bucks when I built it.
What is your source of cheap PID controllers?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6626
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Food

Post by Jadagul » 27 Dec 2017, 23:24

tr0g wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 19:01
Jadagul wrote:
25 Dec 2017, 17:36
Read Kenji Lopez-Alt at Serious Eats for both.
It's funny you say that since the Anova app is basically Kenji's Guide to Sous Vide.
Yeah, they have a partnership.

I'm a big fan of Kenji. A lot of other people are too, obviously. But there's a reason for that.

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6615
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: Food

Post by tr0g » 28 Dec 2017, 00:33

Warren wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 21:11
tr0g wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 19:01
Heating element, PID controller, optical relay, thermocouple, small fountain pump. Use with any pot. Cost me less than 100 bucks when I built it.
What is your source of cheap PID controllers?
China via Ebay. Search 'pid temperature controller' on Ebay and a shit-ton of them come up. They were running about 25 bucks, but you can get them for less now. Some other guys were using them to hack old ovens for various things.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23782
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Food

Post by Warren » 28 Dec 2017, 01:27

tr0g wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 00:33
Warren wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 21:11
tr0g wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 19:01
Heating element, PID controller, optical relay, thermocouple, small fountain pump. Use with any pot. Cost me less than 100 bucks when I built it.
What is your source of cheap PID controllers?
China via Ebay. Search 'pid temperature controller' on Ebay and a shit-ton of them come up. They were running about 25 bucks, but you can get them for less now. Some other guys were using them to hack old ovens for various things.
Roger. I'm in the wistfully dreaming phase of putting together a HERMS brewery.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22053
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Food

Post by Jennifer » 28 Dec 2017, 02:19

Highway wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 14:22
Yeah, we've taken all of our measuring spoons off the rings, and instead separated them into "big" and "little" bins on the counter (in like a cutlery holder). Teaspons and below in one bin, everything above in the other. We have some specialty spoons also, like 1.5 and 2 Tablespoons, that go in there. My wife would *really* like a 1/2-Tablespoon, because we halve recipes so often and she is more of a baker than a cook, so measurements are exact to her. But buying a whole 'nother set of spoons, when we have like 4 already, is just not necessary.
Next time you're in the vicinity of a Dollar Tree store, check their kitchen section. I have a couple different sets of measuring spoons I got from Dollar Tree, which I particularly like because they have more spoons than such sets usually do, with unusual sizes including (oftimes) half-tablespoons.

At only a dollar a set, you could just keep the one or two odd-size spoons you want and toss the rest.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23782
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Food

Post by Warren » 08 Jan 2018, 15:10

Megan McArdel wrote:Tupperware is the Secret Shame of virtually every household.
No shame in my game
2018-01-08 14.00.01.jpg
2018-01-08 14.00.01.jpg (121.55 KiB) Viewed 497 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2740
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: Food

Post by pistoffnick » 08 Jan 2018, 16:25

There is a flashback to the late 70's / early 80's. My mom had that same orange and avocado green set of tupperware.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23782
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Food

Post by Warren » 08 Jan 2018, 16:44

pistoffnick wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 16:25
There is a flashback to the late 70's / early 80's. My mom had that same orange and avocado green set of tupperware.
We've got a huge (relatively) kitchen with lots of storage. And most of it is taken up by stuff that is never used but belongs to the SO and she will not consider getting rid of. We've got over a dozen loaf pans! Those burp lid bowls get some use, but the lids don't fit right anymore and they're well worn. I dig their retro style, but they'd be outta here if I had my way.

EDIT
BTW My mother taught me that the Tupperware goes in a large bottom drawer, and should any toddler be in the house they can be set loose on it. It's fun to play with, you can nest them, figure out what lids fit on what, stack them and knock them down, etc. It's exceptionally safe.

Anyone else subscribe to the "Tupperware is the universal toddler toy box" theory?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22053
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Food

Post by Jennifer » 08 Jan 2018, 20:26

Jennifer wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 02:19
Highway wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 14:22
Yeah, we've taken all of our measuring spoons off the rings, and instead separated them into "big" and "little" bins on the counter (in like a cutlery holder). Teaspons and below in one bin, everything above in the other. We have some specialty spoons also, like 1.5 and 2 Tablespoons, that go in there. My wife would *really* like a 1/2-Tablespoon, because we halve recipes so often and she is more of a baker than a cook, so measurements are exact to her. But buying a whole 'nother set of spoons, when we have like 4 already, is just not necessary.
Next time you're in the vicinity of a Dollar Tree store, check their kitchen section. I have a couple different sets of measuring spoons I got from Dollar Tree, which I particularly like because they have more spoons than such sets usually do, with unusual sizes including (oftimes) half-tablespoons.

At only a dollar a set, you could just keep the one or two odd-size spoons you want and toss the rest.
Shortly after making this post, I did a recipe which required both a half-tablespoon and an eighth-teaspoon of various substances, which is how I discovered: for all my wealth of "standard-size" measuring spoons, I only had one each of the two sizes I just mentioned. So today, after I picked up a prescription at CVS I visited the Dollar Tree store in the same strip mall, and picked up two sets of "Cooking Essentials"-brand measuring spoons whose sizes include a half-tablespoon and eighth-teaspoon. The spoons are the kind with the measurements in raised letters on the handles.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15246
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Food

Post by dhex » 13 Jan 2018, 22:41

made butter chicken for the first time tonight. it was very good for a first run. super easy.

keto naan however was a misstep. can't skip the psyllium husk powder apparently.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2740
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: Food

Post by pistoffnick » 14 Jan 2018, 17:40

I learned how to make Chinese Hand Pulled noodles with braised beef today. It was really good. The last time I had it was in the Muslim part of Shenzhen.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6615
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: Food

Post by tr0g » 16 Jan 2018, 14:08

Experiments to date with the Instant Pot:
Pork Chili Verde - kinda bland as done by the recipe. Added a can of Rotel and some adobo and much better
Butter Chicken - Pretty good. Came a little too spicy for the rest of the household.
Red Beans - I used my standard recipe, so it came out fine. I need to add less liquid next time, since the liquid that evaps off when you slow cook it for 5 hours on the stove doesn't in the instant pot.

I am also noticing, in general, that many, many instant pot recipes are mildly updated slow cooker recipes of the throw it all in the cooker and walk off variety. F'r instance, most meat recipes I see don't ask you to saute the meat first to get some color on it. Why wouldn't you do that since you can literally do it in the pot?

With the sous vide I did some duck breasts. That is definitely the way to cook duck breast.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23782
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Food

Post by Warren » 16 Jan 2018, 15:47

tr0g wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 14:08
With the sous vide I did some duck breasts. That is definitely the way to cook duck breast.
:o but.. but.. The crispy skin dude. You're missing out on the crispy skin.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22108
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Food

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 15:53

You reverse sear most proteins cooked Sous Vide.

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6626
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Food

Post by Jadagul » 16 Jan 2018, 16:08

JasonL wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 15:53
You reverse sear most proteins cooked Sous Vide.
Somewhere Kenji Lopez-Alt is twitching.


User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22108
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Food

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 16:18

I think you need to clarify though because early sous vide adopters, for some reason all the british guys I read, said to sear first then bag it. Which, that's generally bad advice, but it does suggest at some point the nomenclature was necessary.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23782
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Food

Post by Warren » 16 Jan 2018, 16:53

Distinction without difference.
If it means "sear after cooking", that means something. If it means "sear after baking, and only baking", that's useless.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6626
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Food

Post by Jadagul » 16 Jan 2018, 17:16

I think he finds it so annoying because the reverse sear is a technique he invented to attempt to replicate the effects of sous vide cooking without any sous vide equipment. (Apparently Amazing Ribs calls it "Redneck Soo Veed").

A reverse sear is when you cook low and slow until it's almost but not quite done, and then finish cooking it with a sear that also brings the inside up to temp. This is different from sous vide cooking, where you completely finish the cooking sous vide, then put a sear on the outside in a totally different step.

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2760
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Food

Post by Jasper » 17 Jan 2018, 09:30

Does the Instant Pot have temperature control? I looked at their website and it looks like there's only 3 settings for temp. It seems like it's essentially a computer-controlled, slightly more functional crock pot.

I've been hemming & hawing about getting an Anova, but if the Instant Pot has adjustable temps so you can leave some steaks in there at 122F for 3 hours, with all of its other functionality, it might be worth considering replacing the ol' reliable Rival Crock Pot.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12762
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Food

Post by Highway » 17 Jan 2018, 10:26

Jasper wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 09:30
Does the Instant Pot have temperature control? I looked at their website and it looks like there's only 3 settings for temp. It seems like it's essentially a computer-controlled, slightly more functional crock pot.

I've been hemming & hawing about getting an Anova, but if the Instant Pot has adjustable temps so you can leave some steaks in there at 122F for 3 hours, with all of its other functionality, it might be worth considering replacing the ol' reliable Rival Crock Pot.
No, that's not what you can do with an Instant Pot. We did replace our crock pot (which we rarely used) with the Instant Pot, but I don't think the temp goes that low. It's a pressure cooker. It can do multi-hour slow cooker stuff (leave the vent open, put the lid on, use a manual cycle), but not to a precise temperature (yeah, it's just lower/medium/high). We have an Anova sous vide circulator as well, and use that for cooking proteins to temperature.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2760
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Food

Post by Jasper » 17 Jan 2018, 10:32

OK, thanks. Keep the Rival, and keep coin-flipping about the Anova.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15246
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Food

Post by dhex » 17 Jan 2018, 10:38

even for free, a bag of dunkin donuts whole bean coffee makes me feel like i overpaid.

unrelated but if you are like me and break french presses like you're german the espro is awesome. was a birthday gift. would never have bought it on my own (stupid expensive) but it's really good. and well designed. looks nice. can do really mild cups or very oily frenchy cups. cleanup is a breeze and i cannot break it because steel don't melt.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6626
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Food

Post by Jadagul » 17 Jan 2018, 17:05

Yeah, instant pot like all pressure cookers basically only does boiling temperature.

The difference is that the pressure cooker can raise the boiling point of water to about 250F, which is the goal.

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 897
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Food

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jan 2018, 18:20

I've been wanting to do sous-vide for a while, asked a buddy how he does his pork chops and he does it without any equipment- because they are thin, he says he just puts them in the bath and they are done quickly enough not to have to worry about circulators and thermostats. Which I think I'll be comfortable with because my home-brew mashing experience tells me the temp doesn't really drop all that fast in a cooler, and I can use the home-brew calculators to hit the right temps.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests