Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Warren » 23 Jan 2019, 10:18

Ellie wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 01:43
The flounce sleeve trend is officially out of control.

What is that img link? It downloads and opens in chrome for me.

I don't mind the sleeves. Baby bump bigger than boobs tho.
We fucked up, so we're going to need more money. - Tuco

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Jan 2019, 11:00

Wasn't the Seinfeld pirate shirt the ladies version of the pirate shirt?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jan 2019, 11:37

You guys are talking too low. I can't understand anything you're saying.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

dhex

Post by dhex » 31 Jan 2019, 11:35

yo my xy droogs what is a good brand or outlet for women's sweaters that are
a) warm
b) reasonably well-made
c) workwear appropriate
and
d) a good value for the dollar?

turtlenecks and mock turtlenecks are fine as the workwear can be a 70s feminist professor vibe sans chunky female symbol necklace.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Jan 2019, 12:00

Sounds like Theo may be your connect for loggins chic

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Jan 2019, 12:01

dhex wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 11:35
a) warm
b) reasonably well-made
c) workwear appropriate
and

turtlenecks and mock turtlenecks are fine as the workwear can be a 70s feminist professor vibe sans chunky female symbol necklace.
I feel like one right answer for this is Everlane.

Also j crew has a LOT of sales (but don't buy full price). Probably all my storebought sweaters are from there. If I were buying them now I'd look at Everlane.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 31 Jan 2019, 12:49

nicole wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 12:01
dhex wrote:
a) warm
b) reasonably well-made
c) workwear appropriate
and

Also j crew has a LOT of sales (but don't buy full price). Probably all my storebought sweaters are from there. If I were buying them now I'd look at Everlane.
groovy, thanks!

jcrew is hit or miss but their workwear stuff seems good when on sale.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 31 Jan 2019, 20:20

dhex wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 12:49
nicole wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 12:01
dhex wrote:
a) warm
b) reasonably well-made
c) workwear appropriate
and

groovy, thanks!

jcrew is hit or miss but their workwear stuff seems good when on sale.
Banana republic too. Never pay full price for anything there because they are always having some sort of sale, and their clothes are definitely not worth full price.

If cardigans are also acceptable: I get all of mine on Amazon now, unless there's a really, really good deal at banana republic. (I also have way too many cardigans) I have links. I have worn them to work at two work places now, and my new-ish work place varies in levels of dressiness, but they are definitely work wear appropriate and a very good value for the dollar.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Feb 2019, 10:39

dhex wrote:
Do I understand that you are specifically asking the men for advice on women's clothing?
And you're getting the responses you're looking for from women?

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Feb 2019, 12:48

typos are like fashion in that they are both expressions of immediate desire and, yet, communications of the opposite of those desires. they can be simple or ornate, flowery or stylized, and run the gamut of cost (monetary and otherwise).

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Feb 2019, 19:46

dhex wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 12:48
typos are like fashion in that they are both expressions of immediate desire and, yet, communications of the opposite of those desires. they can be simple or ornate, flowery or stylized, and run the gamut of cost (monetary and otherwise).
so you're claiming it's a typo. I see.

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Feb 2019, 19:54

Yes?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Feb 2019, 20:37

How do you typo that? Or is it some subliminal thing?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Feb 2019, 10:59

i had a 50% chance of getting it right.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Feb 2019, 11:25

dhex wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 10:59
Which would have been 0% chance of getting it wrong if you used English.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Feb 2019, 13:28

It is the law: if you are going to have a complete shoe blowout, with a large piece of the sole suddenly separating itself from the rest of the shoe, this WILL happen as soon as you're officially too far from home to turn back and put new shoes on.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Feb 2019, 13:37

Warren wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 11:25
dhex wrote:
If dhex starts speaking English, the terrorists have already won.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Feb 2019, 14:00

Warren wrote:
dhex wrote:
dude this is like getting lectured about antisemitism from hitler c'mon now

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Feb 2019, 19:21

dhex wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 14:00
Warren wrote:
dhex wrote:
dude this is like getting lectured about antisemitism from hitler c'mon now
I spaketh naught but the Queens English sirrah.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Feb 2019, 05:11

While visiting a thrift store today (actually yesterday, since it's many hours after midnight as I write this), I found a black pair of either leggings, yoga pants or long thermal underwear (I intend to use them as the latter). When my fingertips first brushed their surface I thought they were some unusually soft form of cotton, but to my surprise the label said they were 100% "superfine" merino wool.

Holy crap! I've had various merino wool garments before, but never any soft enough that I'd consider wearing them against bare skin (I even still have a handful of microfiber "turtleneck" thermal undershirts I'd use to protect the skin on my neck, when it was cold enough to wear heavy wool sweaters -- even merino ones). I'll have to keep an eye out for other "superfine" merino items in the future. The label said these pants could be machine-washed and then tumble-dried on low heat, but to play it safe I kept them out of the dryer and laid them out on the drying rack instead.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Feb 2019, 05:34

Jennifer wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 05:11
While visiting a thrift store today (actually yesterday, since it's many hours after midnight as I write this), I found a black pair of either leggings, yoga pants or long thermal underwear (I intend to use them as the latter). When my fingertips first brushed their surface I thought they were some unusually soft form of cotton, but to my surprise the label said they were 100% "superfine" merino wool.

Holy crap! I've had various merino wool garments before, but never any soft enough that I'd consider wearing them against bare skin (I even still have a handful of microfiber "turtleneck" thermal undershirts I'd use to protect the skin on my neck, when it was cold enough to wear heavy wool sweaters -- even merino ones). I'll have to keep an eye out for other "superfine" merino items in the future. The label said these pants could be machine-washed and then tumble-dried on low heat, but to play it safe I kept them out of the dryer and laid them out on the drying rack instead.
Hm, I wonder:

Wool clothes get softer as you run them through the dryer. It damages the fibers, but in a way that makes them softer and more comfortable (until it makes them thing and patchy and full of holes).

(When I was at Cambridge, basically everyone had a college scarf, which got worn everywhere. The ones in the store were stiff and scratchy, but the students who'd had them for a few years had lovely soft ones).

So maybe this is why these pants are so soft. Or at least a contributing factor.

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Feb 2019, 06:38

Soaking wool makes it softer. Drying it, or agitating it in any way, felts it unless it has been treated to make it “superwash,” which makes it wash- and dryable. But the drying process is still pretty hard on most clothes and in my experience with mass-produced merino items like what Jennifer bought it all depends on the brand as far as whether I throw them in the dryer (and whether they recommend it). Is there a brand on the pants?

They are most likely super soft because they are superfine merino. That’s what it’s like. I spend most of the winter with merino next to skin on my top half and I have wool leggings that I wear around the house or as an inner layer in the super cold.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Feb 2019, 14:04

nicole wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 06:38
Soaking wool makes it softer. Drying it, or agitating it in any way, felts it unless it has been treated to make it “superwash,” which makes it wash- and dryable. But the drying process is still pretty hard on most clothes and in my experience with mass-produced merino items like what Jennifer bought it all depends on the brand as far as whether I throw them in the dryer (and whether they recommend it). Is there a brand on the pants?
[Checks label] "Minus 33." Which, on second thought, suggests that these WERE marketed as thermal underpants, rather than leggings or yoga pants. (By the way: what if anything is the difference between leggings and yoga pants, anyway?)

The label says to machine wash in cold water (which I use for all laundry except underwear and handkerchiefs anyway), inside-out, DO NOT BLEACH in all-caps (as if I need to be told this for non-white garments), and specifically says to wash with detergent (presumably as opposed to laundry soap).

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Feb 2019, 14:24

[Checks Minus 33 website] Jesus, these pants were expensive when new. Given their utterly flawless condition -- I checked them over very carefully before buying them, as I do with all thrift-store clothes -- I am going to guess their previous owner was most likely a recent northern transplant -- more recent than me -- who discarded them after moving to Atlanta and realizing she had far more deep-winter clothes than the climate calls for. (I mean, it still does get cold enough here to require thermals sometimes -- and given how humid/damp it often is, in certain ranges it often feels even colder than the same temperatures in dry New England, which is why I'm extra-glad to have wool rather than cotton -- but you don't need NEARLY as many cold garments. I don't think I've worn any of my turtleneck thermal undershirts even once since I got here -- IIRC, during my cleanout last year I discarded the last of my heavy wool pullover sweaters that would require a turtleneck undershirt -- though I am keeping the turtlenecks anyway because they take up very little space in one drawer, and if I DID need such garments again, they'd be hellishly hard to find in Atlanta, especially at a reasonable price. Whereas in New England, I had two overstuffed dresser drawers of nothing but thermal pants and shirts, and there would still be times I'd do a load of laundry SOLELY because "Hell, I'm running out of clean thermal underwear.")

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Feb 2019, 14:35

I only know two Russian curse words and she used one of them.
IMG_20190211_112518.jpeg
IMG_20190211_112518.jpeg (66.22 KiB) Viewed 780 times
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo