Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2018, 16:28

Kwix wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 20:49
Jennifer wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 00:31
I'm toying with the idea of just pulling them out altogether, except that would be an irreversible move and I don't know if that might do something weird to the shape of the pants legs.
Please allow me to introduce the bodkin:
I'd never heard of a bodkin before; I just figured it was part of a meaningless Olde English cry: "odds bodkins!"

Jeff and I were at a sewing shop yesterday buying fabric dye, and although the store said they had bodkins in stock we could not find any. However, we DID find and buy a "drawstring threader." Good thing, too, because when I removed the drawstrings from those pant legs the results were even worse than I'd predicted: it's not just that the leg-holes grew wider and more bell-bottomy; the legs actually got longer! I still can't figure out quite how that worked. But without the drawstrings, the legs were so long I kept stepping on them.

But I used (actually, Jeff used) the drawstring threader for its advertised purpose, and I expect it will prove useful again in the future: no more discarding hoodies because one end of the drawstring got sucked inside!

EDIT: Typos and grammar.
Last edited by Jennifer on 17 Jul 2018, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2018, 16:30

Also, forum-format question: why I I never, ever able to see Amazon links? For Kwix's post there -- and every other post with an Amazon link, including at least one I recall making myself -- all I see is a big empty space. In order to actually get the link, I have to hit the "quote" button on the post -- only then can I see the web address, and cut-n-paste it into the browser's address window.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 17 Jul 2018, 17:36

A bodkin---that's the thing you use to yourself quietus make, right?

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 17 Jul 2018, 18:03

Jennifer wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 16:30
Also, forum-format question: why I I never, ever able to see Amazon links? For Kwix's post there -- and every other post with an Amazon link, including at least one I recall making myself -- all I see is a big empty space. In order to actually get the link, I have to hit the "quote" button on the post -- only then can I see the web address, and cut-n-paste it into the browser's address window.
Hmm, interesting. This whole media embedding with "here's a tweet" and "here's a link with image" thing is new to the Gryll (phpBB) as all I posted was an URL. Inspecting the imaged link it appears that it uses both an iframe and some JavaScript to do it's voodoo. So I'd say check your browser's settings regarding JavaScript. Try downloading and viewing the forum with a browser you don't normally use (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) without changing any of the base settings.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jul 2018, 18:47

FWIW it presents as a blank space in both Safari and Chrome-for-Mac.

Could be an adblock thing?

ETA also Chrome and Firefox on Win10.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2018, 19:14

Also FWIW: I can't see Amazon links on either my "main" computer, which I'm on now, or my el cheapo netbook I only use for websurfing while watching TV. Both have different types of script-blockers ad malware protection and whatnot (though I can't give you specifics, because in my household, Jeff handles all IT matters). That said: although I cannot see Amazon links, they still show up in forum-archive searches; I just-now did a search for "Amazon" and Kwix's "allow me to introduce the bodkin" post was among the results, even though "Amazon" appears in that post only in his invisible-to-me link.

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Jul 2018, 20:44

It's a problem with the way phpBB parses it. It sees an amazon link and tries to load an embed like it does with youtube or twitter, but that doesn't actually work for anyone who hasn't already visited the link. If you get the link, and then come back and look at the page, then the embed shows. And that's why it looks normal to the person who posted it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Jul 2018, 20:51

I can see the embeds without visiting the link.

We need a bat-signal for Sandy! He's the php guy!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2018, 23:21

Highway wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 20:44
It's a problem with the way phpBB parses it. It sees an amazon link and tries to load an embed like it does with youtube or twitter, but that doesn't actually work for anyone who hasn't already visited the link. If you get the link, and then come back and look at the page, then the embed shows. And that's why it looks normal to the person who posted it.
That one time I made a post with an Amazon link, the link WAS one I'd visited before. Still can't see the link in my post, though.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jul 2018, 18:55

Jennifer wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 19:14
Also FWIW: I can't see Amazon links on either my "main" computer, which I'm on now, or my el cheapo netbook I only use for websurfing while watching TV. Both have different types of script-blockers ad malware protection and whatnot (though I can't give you specifics, because in my household, Jeff handles all IT matters). That said: although I cannot see Amazon links, they still show up in forum-archive searches; I just-now did a search for "Amazon" and Kwix's "allow me to introduce the bodkin" post was among the results, even though "Amazon" appears in that post only in his invisible-to-me link.
Are you using Firefox? I have the same issue.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jul 2018, 19:04

Warren wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 18:55
Jennifer wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 19:14
Are you using Firefox? I have the same issue.
Yes.

I checked with Chrome just now -- not signed in to the Gryll, just a random person seeing what unregistered guests see at this forum -- on Chrome I see the embedded images of the Amazon ads, compared to the equivalently sized empty space I see on Firefox. So I guess it IS a quirk with Firefox, somehow.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Jul 2018, 05:54

This "drawstrings on linen pants" thing is going too far. I bought two pairs today that go on with standard zippers and snaps ... and have completely unnecessary drawstrings around the waists.

Also, on the off chance any Liz Claiborne designers are reading this: those decorative but basically unnecessary beads you put on the ends of your thoroughly unnecessary drawstrings make a godawful racket in the dryer.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Aug 2018, 16:46

Science confirms what we already knew: the pockets on women's clothes are too small to hold smartphones or anything else of use.

Personally, I'd like to see Victorian-style chatelaines come back into fashion. Or Batman-style utility belts with lots and lots of usefully sized bags and boxes and storage containers attached to them.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Aug 2018, 17:17

Web gear or fishing vests.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 21 Aug 2018, 18:08

Jennifer wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 16:46
Science confirms what we already knew: the pockets on women's clothes are too small to hold smartphones or anything else of use.
I may have told this story before, but a while back I bought some black skinny jeans, which were an unusual purchase for me. Soon afterwards, I got up and pulled on my black skinny jeans, then tried to put something in the pocket, and said, "WTF? What happened to these pockets?! Oh wait, these are my wife's jeans." But I gained a lot more sympathy for complaints about the non-pockets in women's clothing. Seriously, they were useless.

But my wife is actually working on a dress with multiple, usefully-sized hidden pockets; I'll post something about it when it's publicly released.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Aug 2018, 18:25

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Aug 2018, 18:32

JD wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 18:08
Jennifer wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 16:46
I may have told this story before, but a while back I bought some black skinny jeans, which were an unusual purchase for me. Soon afterwards, I got up and pulled on my black skinny jeans, then tried to put something in the pocket, and said, "WTF? What happened to these pockets?! Oh wait, these are my wife's jeans." But I gained a lot more sympathy for complaints about the non-pockets in women's clothing. Seriously, they were useless.
I have a pair of supposed "cargo pants" -- one of my recent linen purchases -- the largest pocket will barely hold a smartphone, except that would very quickly strain the fabric. There's a zipper on it which looks like it would lead to a pocket -- say, one big enough to hold driver's license or credit-card-sized objects -- no, it's just a zipper, with only enough space behind it to provide slack to zip and unzip it. WTF? If I were absolutely determined to get some use out of that zippered space I might be able to wedge a dime behind it, which would be very useful if I were kicked back in time fifty years to when "Always carry a dime in case you need to make an emergency pay-phone call" was helpful safety advice. Otherwise, pfft.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Aug 2018, 18:33

Dangit, now I can't find whoever had the sig quote about, "Privilege is having your oversized phone fit in the pockets of the garments society expects you to wear."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Aug 2018, 22:19

IIRC, that was Nicole.

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Aug 2018, 22:35

Yeah it was me, Dangerman had said it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Aug 2018, 22:41

But why can't I find the exact quote now? WHYYYYY? Somebody complain to the mods.

Edit: hooray! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=520&p=274001#p274001

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Sep 2018, 00:24

Ellie wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 10:36
I love the pale blonde so much, I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT, it feels more like "me" than any hair I've had in the past. I know I'll have to go back to my natural color eventually, but instead of trying to ease back into it and say goodbye to the blonde now, I'd rather ride it out to the end when my hair finally all frizzes out into a dandelion puff and blows off my head and I start growing it out all over again. :lol:
This time has actually finally come. I did an overnight hair mask -- just some basic coconut oil shit from Sally Beauty, nothing crazy -- and ever since, little inch-long pieces of my hair have been breaking off every time I touch it. AND I just looked at a photo from earlier this year and realized that the hair on the sides of my head is something like 7 inches SHORTER than it should be (I'd thought it was growing slowly, but didn't realize it was actually going backwards).

So ... gonna grow it out for a couple weeks to get some decent roots so I don't have to actually shave my head bald, and then do the big chop so I can start fresh.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I have loved being a blonde. I really did have more fun.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Sep 2018, 00:47

Ellie wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 00:24
I have loved being a blonde. I really did have more fun.
And have four kids to show for it [ducks]

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Sep 2018, 16:02

In all seriousness, Ellie: there is a chance your hair problems are not caused by the bleaching agents and other "external abuses" you do to your hair; it might be caused by your bun-in-oven status. (A couple months ago when we were troubleshooting possible causes, and all my other theories had been shot down, I almost made a post suggesting "Huh, the only other possible causes might be internal -- either a nutritional deficiency, or pregnancy.")

Either way, it would indeed be a good idea to cut off your crispy hair, since hair cannot heal itself anyway -- but after household member number six makes her grand appearance, keep an eye out to see if your new hair growth after that is of better quality than what it's been these past few months.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2018, 16:48

Apropos of nothing, the other day when I used a mirror to look at the back of my head (to ensure that my ponytail-barrette wasn't crooked), I realized the end of said ponytail was looking really shaggy: instead of being a more-or-less straight line, it made me think of stalactites hanging from a cavern roof. I wondered how long it had been since I last trimmed the ends, and realized the answer was "The day of Kolohe's wedding." Which IIRC was over 2.5 years ago. So after my shower, when my wet combed-out hair was as straight as it ever gets, I trimmed the ends. Unfortunately I cut a little too much -- I remembered to account for the length differential between wet hair and dry, but forgot that, all else being equal, the shorter my hair is, the wavier/curlier it gets (because it doesn't have its own weight pulling out the curls). And the wavier/curlier the hair gets, the shorter it looks compared to hair that's straightened out. So as of today, my loose hair when dry only goes down to about bra-strap level on my back. Which is not "short" hair by any reasonable description, but is a HELL of a lot shorter than I am used to seeing on me. I do not like it, and am very annoyed with myself over this.