Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Jennifer » 22 Mar 2018, 17:55

Nudity is not an option, alas; any part of my skin exposed to direct Georgia sunlight will turn pink in five seconds, sunburned in ten and cancerous in fifteen.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Mar 2018, 21:32

Jennifer wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 17:55
Nudity is not an option, alas; any part of my skin exposed to direct Georgia sunlight will turn pink in five seconds, sunburned in ten and cancerous in fifteen.
Slather yourself in zinc paste at full lifeguard-nose-protection level. When you see your surroundings become visibly brighter thanks to reflections off your body, you're ready.

Mind, I have no idea whether the zinc paste would then make you unable to cool your body via sweating or conduct so much heat away from your skin that air conditioning would be miserable.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Mar 2018, 16:06

My Lust for Linen continues to grow. (As does my indignance toward cotton, not to mention all those evil lying fuckheads in the Cotton-Clothing-And-American-History-Textbook-Industrial Complex: "King Cotton claimed his throne because cotton was an enormously comfortable fabric, and the textile mills of Britain's Industrial Revolution blah blah the cotton gin, invented by Eli Whitney in 18 hundred and blah blah booming consumer demand for cotton which was a very very comfortable fabric....") No it wasn't. No it isn't. Cotton SUCKS. At least in the overhumid parts of the North American continent. Its only benefit over linen is that it's apparently MUCH cheaper, if you're buying it new.

Yesterday the temperatures were quite cool (high not quite 60) but it was very damp and gray and chill here. When I got dressed to go to a meetup I wore one of my recent-find linen shirts -- the only linen shirt I currently own that I would've bought even if I weren't specifically looking for linen garments, because this one happens to be a color and cut and fit that are all perfect for me. IOW, this was the first time I recall wearing a linen garment in normal, not overheated, temperatures. Lovely linen shirt plus a pair of long-legged cotton pants (black "velvety" jeans, in this case).

And HOLY CRAP was that shirt comfortable, compared to the usual "cotton knit" or "cotton flannel" or "cotton tee" or any of the other (generally very nice-looking) cotton garments I'd likely wear when temperatures are in the 50s! It was especially obvious because I happened to be wearing all-cotton below the waist versus no-cotton above: given the cool temperatures, plus the fact that I did nothing more physically strenuous than walking through a parking garage or lifting a drinking glass, I definitely did not exert myself, nor did I perspire or sweat in any way. And yet -- there was definitely a different "feel," regarding "limbs clad in cotton" versus "limbs in linen." I didn't feel sweaty or clammy or any of the other unpleasant-humidity sensations, not even under the cotton, but the cotton itself kinda did. Except not really.... I don't know how to describe it, exactly. Had I been wearing an all-cotton outfit I wouldn't have noticed any "discomfort" at all. But since I happened to be wearing half-linen and half-cotton on a humid yet cool day, I noticed the linen clothes were not -- something. Or, more specifically, I noticed the cotton clothing WAS "something" which the linen was not.

I haven't the words to describe it, and it's maddening. The closest analogy I can think of is: the first car I ever had and drove (a Duster Volare that was already ancient even then) did NOT have power steering. My first experience with power steering came after I'd already been driving that Volare for three years or so: I was on a date with a man who had a then-new Saab, he asked me to drive after our restaurant visit because he'd had a cocktail or two (FTR, he did NOT seem drunk, or even tipsy, to me, and I was not happy about driving the car because the expensiveness of the vehicle made me very nervous) ... and, wow! It amazed me, how easily I could move that Saab's steering wheel! Unlike my Volare, I could literally have steered with one finger if I wished (had I not been so incredibly nervous about driving a very expensive car).

But I never knew, never even suspected, how much work it was to drive my car with its manual steering, until I the first time I drove a car with power steering. Likewise, I never knew or even really suspected how uncomfortable cotton is even in cool weather when the relative humidity is above a certain point, until yesterday when I happened to dress in a manner providing an immediate compare/contrast opportunity.

So after yesterday's meetup, with this new revelation in mind, I went to various Goodwills nearby and found two pairs of linen pants plus two linen skirts (one of which is stupidly equipped with a cotton lining, which I intend to rip out). I'm wearing one of those pairs of pants right now--super-comfortable, and that "difference" is there again, regarding the pants versus the cotton sweatshirt I'm also wearing (today again is cool, gray and humid outside, and I'm typing this next to an open window.) None of yesterday's purchases are remotely flattering to me, but I know that when I'm outdoors between July and September, I will not care. (That said, I am making an active effort to expand my linen wardrobe -- I'm decently equipped for bare-minimum "go outside sans heatstroke in summer," but pathetically impoverished in terms of "linen garments that actually flatter me, and make me feel attractive when I wear them." One shirt, and that's it so far.)

In time, I would like to replace almost ALL of my cotton clothes (except a handful of super-attractive garments, plus a couple pairs of jeans because I'm a mainstream American) with linen. Including cool-weather stuff -- I'm wearing a cotton sweatshirt today because it's too chilly to wear any of my thin-fabric linen shirts (yet too warm to wear winter wool).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Apr 2018, 21:13

Ellie wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 16:28
I don't use shampoo at all. I only even rinse it with water every couple of weeks. (I'm sure that makes me smell like ass, but that's a different issue for a different day.) I leave in conditioner or moisturizer every 3-4 days. Aphogee two-step protein treatment every six weeks. Still feels like crunchy doll hair, except for maybe a day after the Aphogee. It's fucking fried.

Edited to add: sorry if I come across as abrupt -- I really do appreciate the advice! I'm just mad at my hair and not sure what to do about it, since I simultaneously want it long, blond, short, and healthy, and can at best have 2/4 at the moment.
I just found out about something called Olaplex, supposedly only sold to hair salons, but of course you can find it on eBay (doesn't that inspire confidence?) It's supposed to be amazing for damaged hair. Better for preventing hair from being damaged in the first place, but that horse is out of the barn. Anyway, I ordered some and will report back. :D
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Apr 2018, 23:47

It didn't make my hair noticeably any softer, but it does seem to be breaking a lot less when I comb it. Another treatment might show further improvement, but I can't justify spending another $20 anytime soon, especially not on a gamble. Oh, well.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Apr 2018, 21:45

Ellie wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 23:47
It didn't make my hair noticeably any softer, but it does seem to be breaking a lot less when I comb it. Another treatment might show further improvement, but I can't justify spending another $20 anytime soon, especially not on a gamble. Oh, well.
Your hair breaks when you comb it!!? That should NOT be happening, especially not given how short you wear it (all else being equal, long hair is more likely to get weak and break, because it's so much older than short hair). Even when I used shampoo AND all sort of horribly drying styling stuff (like, mousse containing alcohol, AND Aqua-Net liquid plastic hairspray and building mortar -- i.e. El Cheapo stripper stuff) I never had such problems, and my hair was a LOT longer than yours, too . Split ends I had in abundance, yes. But actual breakage above that, or hair that felt crispy WITHOUT mousse and hairspray in it -- no. Whatever you're using to bleach your hair must be doing awful things to it.

Sudden thought: are you one of those people who uses the verbs "comb" and "brush" interchangeably? Because even for strong-n-healthy hair, it's a rule that you do NOT brush it when it's wet, only comb it; wet hair will break if you brush it. Or, if you do any styling that involves "grabbing" your hair and holding it in place (like, using a barrette or clip to hold some of it just so), that ALSO needs to wait until the hair is perfectly dry, because wet hair also stretches out longer than dry, so if you put wet hair in a clip, it will shrink and break as it dries.

Though if you are complaining of "crispiness," I doubt the problem is that you're treating wet hair as though it were dry.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Apr 2018, 10:36

Jennifer wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 21:45
Whatever you're using to bleach your hair must be doing awful things to it.
Got it in one. :lol:

It wasn't so bad or noticeable when my hair was still short (it just felt coarse) but now that it's gotten down to shoulder-length, the damage is very apparent. A puffball of broken hairs on the comb after every time I comb it. All the hair at my temples and forehead have broken off at about an inch long and stick out in all directions when I put my hair in a ponytail; they are too dry to be tamed by any product.

The sensible recourse would be to stop doing this to my hair, obviously. Except I love the pale blonde so much, I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT, it feels more like "me" than any hair I've had in the past. I know I'll have to go back to my natural color eventually, but instead of trying to ease back into it and say goodbye to the blonde now, I'd rather ride it out to the end when my hair finally all frizzes out into a dandelion puff and blows off my head and I start growing it out all over again. :lol:

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Apr 2018, 15:19

Ellie wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 10:36
Jennifer wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 21:45
Whatever you're using to bleach your hair must be doing awful things to it.
Got it in one. :lol:

It wasn't so bad or noticeable when my hair was still short (it just felt coarse) but now that it's gotten down to shoulder-length, the damage is very apparent. A puffball of broken hairs on the comb after every time I comb it. All the hair at my temples and forehead have broken off at about an inch long and stick out in all directions when I put my hair in a ponytail; they are too dry to be tamed by any product.

The sensible recourse would be to stop doing this to my hair, obviously. Except I love the pale blonde so much, I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT, it feels more like "me" than any hair I've had in the past. I know I'll have to go back to my natural color eventually, but instead of trying to ease back into it and say goodbye to the blonde now, I'd rather ride it out to the end when my hair finally all frizzes out into a dandelion puff and blows off my head and I start growing it out all over again. :lol:
But what are you using? I can't help thinking there's got to be something less-awful you can use. I actually wonder if you (your hair) wouldn't be better off if you used watered-down peroxide to bleach your roots. Not that peroxide is actually gentle, but I knew a lot of peroxide blondes in my stripper days, all of whom topped off their peroxided hair with the same types of nasty drying styling stuff I did, and while they tended to have even more split ends than I did, "permanently crispy hair" was not a complaint.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Apr 2018, 23:19

Clairol Nice 'n' Easy Frost & Tip Maximum Blonde Highlights kits (they are peroxide based). My guess is the blondes you knew had their hair bleached at the salon. But that is $$$$$$$, of course.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Apr 2018, 23:55

Huh. Odd that Clairol would prove so damaging; they must have all sorts of moisturizing gunk added. There must be something else going on, especially given how short you wear your hair; it plain shouldn't have TIME to get that damaged. Shoulder-length hair means -- what, about four to five inches long from your scalp? At a growth rate of approximately half an inch a month, that means the tips of your hair are only eight to ten months old, and of course most of it s even younger than that. (I know Minnesota has harsh winters, but even so....) Are you using any styling products? I do know that anything containing alcohol is bad because it dries hair out--mousse, hairspray, anything. And I know from experience that"anti-frizz serums" are bet avoided -- they work but are "addictive," in the sense that if you use them and then stop, you end up looking worse than if you'd never used them in the first place.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Apr 2018, 11:51

At this point I don't use anything in my hair, for better or for worse. Occasional overnight conditioner or coconut oil, which don't seem to do anything, so I rarely bother. But thinking about this it does seem like nights are the hardest on my hair in terms of waking up with more frizz or broken pieces in front. I wonder if I need to be one of those people who uses a satin headwrap or silk pillowcase because cotton is drying. Although I would feel ridiculously high maintenance sleeping on a silk pillowcase ... :lol:

Edited to add: actually, cotton being a culprit would explain a lot -- the longer my hair gets, the more unmanageable it gets, the more often I wear a (cotton) headband or headscarf to clamp it all down ... Well, time for a silk pillowcase experiment, I guess!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Apr 2018, 14:47

Another thought: when you bleach your hair, do you put bleach in all of it, including the previously bleached parts, or just on the roots? Because if all of your hair is getting re-bleached every month or so, that could definitely explain why it's so dried out -- if that eight-month old section of your hair has had seven or eight bleach treatments in its short life, I can definitely see it getting frazzled to a degree that no amount of moisturizing treatment will overcome.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Apr 2018, 14:49

Also, FWIW: I've heard a lot about silk pillowcases being better than cotton for protecting hairstyles, but I've never heard that a cotton pillowcase will contribute to your hair getting dried out.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Apr 2018, 17:10

Jennifer wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 14:47
Another thought: when you bleach your hair, do you put bleach in all of it, including the previously bleached parts, or just on the roots?
Just the roots.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Apr 2018, 17:32

Damn. Another beautiful theory destroyed by cold hard facts.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Apr 2018, 18:31

And I don't remember pissing off any old women recently, so we can also cross off "gypsy curses" as a cause.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Apr 2018, 18:38

This is bugging me WAY more than it should, seeing how it isn't even my hair, but -- seriously, WTF? Unsolved mysteries annoy me.

One more possibility occurs to me: do you use heat to blow-dry your hair? Or heated styling tools (curling irons, etc.)?

Make that two possibilities: do you frequently swim in a public pool with buttloads of chlorine, and you don't wear a swim cap? (Given where you live, I feel confident in predicting "too much time in saltwater" is not the culprit.)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Apr 2018, 18:54

I feel bad that I can't help solve it! And I would love to salve it, too (that was supposed to say "solve it" but I'm leaving the typo because it works)

I never use any heat on my hair (never blow dry, don't own a curling iron or flat iron). I haven't been swimming in a few years.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Apr 2018, 20:46

Ellie wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:31
And I don't remember pissing off any old women recently, so we can also cross off "gypsy curses" as a cause.
Don't cross that one off so quickly. Did you piss off anyone directly related to an old gypsy woman?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Apr 2018, 21:13

Andrew wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:46
Ellie wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:31
Don't cross that one off so quickly. Did you piss off anyone directly related to an old gypsy woman?
Or could've been an old gypsy woman who'd altered her appearance to be a beautiful maiden?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Apr 2018, 23:08

I don't THINK so. Nor have I pissed off Gypsy from MST3K.

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Apr 2018, 23:43

Ellie wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 23:08
I *thought* I heard you dissing Richard Basehart.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Apr 2018, 00:20

Highway wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 23:43
Ellie wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 23:08
I *thought* I heard you dissing Richard Basehart.
Dammit! That's what did it!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 May 2018, 18:41

One of the lesser-cruel ironies of life: sweaty, dirty hair often looks better than clean hair.

The AC is broken and it's hotter than hell, so without even looking in a mirror, I used a ponytail elastic and oversized butterfly/claw clip to get every strand of hair off my neck and back, and pile it on my head. Pure practicality, with no effort to look "good." And it looks AWESOME. I'd wear my hair up all the time if it always looked like that. This style would go with everything from "T-shirt and jeans" to "opera gown" and everything in between.

Except, of course, the only reason my hair looks thusly is because it's absolutely filthy with sweat. But when I try wearing clean, non-stinky hair up, it never looks good. Never. Not even when I fiddle with it and actually try to make it look good, which I didn't bother doing today.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 May 2018, 16:17

A few days ago I was shopping online for leggings. Now my Facebook feed is full of ladies' buttocks.