Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 19 Jan 2018, 19:58

I'm not a fan of the bell-sleeve trend that's everywhere I'm shopping.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jan 2018, 21:45

It took me far, far longer than it should have to stumble upon the concept "If you regularly wear visible accessories in your hair, get them in colors that match or complement your hair color, not your clothes."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Jan 2018, 07:23

Jennifer wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 21:45
It took me far, far longer than it should have to stumble upon the concept "If you regularly wear visible accessories in your hair, get them in colors that match or complement your hair color, not your clothes."
It’s like you learned nothing from Ma Ingalls!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Jan 2018, 15:40

nicole wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 07:23
Jennifer wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 21:45
It’s like you learned nothing from Ma Ingalls!
What I learned from her is that pink or blue are the only acceptable hair-ribbon colors -- a lesson I remain happy to ignore! :)

If I had to pick a theme for 2018 thus far, and my persistent health annoyances were off the table, I'd call it "Captain Obvious improves Jennifer's life." A neat, organized home where you know where everything is, is far more pleasant than a messy clutter pile! You should wear barrettes that look good against your hair, regardless of what your clothes are! Wheeeee!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Jan 2018, 15:56

Shortly after moving to Atlanta, in the middle of summer, I mentioned that I was looking for barrettes at least four inches long (four inches for the actual hair-clip part, NOT the decorative stuff added to the clip), so I could ponytail my hair and have said tail be wide enough that you could still see it even standing directly in front of me. But I was dismayed to discover how very, very rare such barrettes seem to be--Google four-inch barrette or something similar and you'll mostly get stuff like a three-inch clip with a four-inch decorative thingie on it. I did find a couple four-inchers at various local beauty-supply stores for a dollar or two, and I bought them just because I needed something to lift my hair off my neck in the heat, but those 99-cent barrettes were IMO hideously gaudy and ugly, the kind of thing I MIGHT have liked when I was eight years old, but not now. Flowers made of pink or purple glitter, gaudy yellow-gold colored barrette covered with white rhinestones .... blecch.

There is a company called "France Luxe" that makes four-inch clip barrettes (with five-inch decorations), and they are very nice barrettes but horribly expensive -- the cheapest ones I've seen are $18 apiece on Amazon (and also at Nordstrom's which, according to my Googling, seems to be the only brick-and-mortar retailer that regularly sells France Luxe things). But last week I splurged and bought THREE FL barrettes off of Amazon, all in various shades of amber or coppery-brown that complement my hair color VERY nicely.

I feel a tad guilty for such extravagance, especially given my continued lack of employment, but justified it first on the grounds that this could be my Christmas present since Jeff and I didn't bother with gifts last month, and secondly because I DID, no joke, quit smoking, and the cost of those barrettes PLUS my nicotine patches is still considerably less than what I'd've spent on cigarettes during that time.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2018, 15:28

It's that time of year in Georgia where the temperatures, at least, are within the clement range, yet the humidity remains so thick and cloying that yesterday, when I temporarily forgot where I was and put on a lightweight cotton shirt to go for a walk, it felt damp and clammy almost immediately. Luckily, I now have a decent-sized collection of linen shirts (even though I remain under-served in terms of linen shirts that are actually flattering on me), so I took off the cotton top, replaced it with linen, and was far more comfortable.

HOWEVER, in hope of preparing for this upcoming summer, I spent some time online last night looking for certain types of linen garments, and made an odd discovery: apparently, "women's linen underpants" are, like, NOT a thing! (Men's linen boxers are relatively common, but also fuckballs-expensive.) I only saw two options for women: one from LL Bean, costing over thirty bucks for one pair, and one from some nutty New Age woowoo seller who also charges over 30 bucks for one individual piece of underwear AND makes bullshit claims about its "frequencies" and whatnot.

I continue to be amazed that cotton is as popular a fabric as it is, at least in the humid parts of the world. I'm guessing it must be inherently easier to grow than flax (or easier to harvest or turn into something useful), because by any other measurement, cotton simply IS NOT AS GOOD as linen.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 19 Mar 2018, 14:39

Jennifer wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 15:28
HOWEVER, in hope of preparing for this upcoming summer, I spent some time online last night looking for certain types of linen garments, and made an odd discovery: apparently, "women's linen underpants" are, like, NOT a thing! (Men's linen boxers are relatively common, but also fuckballs-expensive.) I only saw two options for women: one from LL Bean, costing over thirty bucks for one pair, and one from some nutty New Age woowoo seller who also charges over 30 bucks for one individual piece of underwear AND makes bullshit claims about its "frequencies" and whatnot.
Silk underwear is a thing in the expedition hiking world. I know nothing about it other than its existence.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Mar 2018, 15:02

Kwix wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 14:39
Jennifer wrote:
Silk underwear is a thing in the expedition hiking world. I know nothing about it other than its existence.
You might also look for bamboo.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Mar 2018, 15:03

Kwix wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Silk underwear for women appears far more commonplace than linen (at least based on my online searches). But, unsurprisingly, even the plainest silk undies are quite expensive compared to cotton underthings. SInce moving to Georgia I have been trying to discard/replace ALL cotton from my wardrobe, at least during humidity season (which in Georgia comprises 8 or 9 months out of every twelve, no joke); thanks to thrift stores, I've been able to cheaply amass plenty of linen or silk blouses and shirts, and a smaller supply of pants or skirts (I'm still working on increasing both collections, of course), but underwear is one clothing type I will NOT buy used, even if thrift stores DID routinely have large selections of good-fabric underthings in my size.

I wish there were some local business similar to laundromats, only with sewing machines, where you could pay a relatively small fee to use on-site machines for awhile. Because after seeing how apparently impossible it is to buy affordable underwear made of linen or silk, I really would like to experiment with making my own -- next time I see a thrift-store linen or silk maxi-skirt that's many sizes too big for me, I'd buy it for the fabric, which would be enough for at least two or three pairs. There are plenty of relatively simple, free underwear patterns online (I've checked). But given my current complete lack of sewing skills and knowledge, I don't want to outright buy a sewing machine just to make the experiment, given how much even a cheap machine costs. (I've never found a working sewing machine for sale at a drop-dead bargain good price, in thrift stores.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Mar 2018, 15:06

nicole wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 15:02
Kwix wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
I have wondered about that -- during my online searches, I did see a lot of bamboo underwear offerings for MUCH more reasonable prices (though of course, still much pricier than something like a Hanes cotton multipack at Target) -- IIRC something like a four to six-pack, for 18 to 20 bucks.

Have you any personal experience wearing bamboo clothes (not necessarily underwear) on too-humid-for-cotton days? How is it?

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Mar 2018, 15:19

Jennifer wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 15:06
nicole wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 15:02
Kwix wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
I have wondered about that -- during my online searches, I did see a lot of bamboo underwear offerings for MUCH more reasonable prices (though of course, still much pricier than something like a Hanes cotton multipack at Target) -- IIRC something like a four to six-pack, for 18 to 20 bucks.

Have you any personal experience wearing bamboo clothes (not necessarily underwear) on too-humid-for-cotton days? How is it?
Yeah, tshirts though. It's better than cotton.

But I realized, I've basically converted most of my underwear wardrobe to workout-oriented options for similar reasons. Especially in warmer months. Under Armour, my main brand, does 3/$30 all the time and they do go on sale as well, and they have a number of different cuts now which is nice. So I would definitely recommend that. I haven't tried any of the startups like Zero or whatever else I see advertised on Instagram.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Mar 2018, 15:28

What material is your hot-n-humid weather UnderArmour stuff made of?

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Mar 2018, 15:37

Jennifer wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 15:28
They're some kind of poly. I don't know if it's just how thin they are or what but they're much, much better than other poly workout garments.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 19 Mar 2018, 17:49

nicole wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 15:37
Jennifer wrote:
They're some kind of poly. I don't know if it's just how thin they are or what but they're much, much better than other poly workout garments.
Regarding Bamboo, it's just viscose (rayon). Not saying it's unworth whatever you get out of it but there's nothing inherently different about it being made from bamboo vs wood pulp vs shoddy cotton.

UnderArmor makes good stuff. I'm used to it being a cold weather base layer and so it's potential for use in a hot n' humid environment slipped my mind. That stuff wicks like mad so I guess even if it doesn't evaporate quickly at least it won't be against your skin.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Mar 2018, 19:03

Kwix wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 17:49
nicole wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Regarding Bamboo, it's just viscose (rayon). Not saying it's unworth whatever you get out of it but there's nothing inherently different about it being made from bamboo vs wood pulp vs shoddy cotton.
Viscose/rayon does seem better than cotton, though, in terms of "how damp does it get and stay, when you wear it while sweating."

I just-now got back from the thrift store where I hit THE MOTHER LODE of linen shirts -- I found seven long-sleeved button-downs (and paid a total of $25, which for me is actually a very extravagant thrift-shopping excursion--"only" seven garments for that much money). Three of those linen shirts fit me perfectly, and one of THOSE is also a very flattering-to-me shade of blue. The other four shirts are big on me, which is a fashion "fail" but IMO is actually more comfortable to wear on extra-humid and -hot days, since the super-looseness of the fabric lets lots of air flow about. (Too bad I don't still sell things on eBay; two of the oversized shirts I got today were from Ralph Lauren, and I could probably sell those for a decent profit if I still had access to an online seller's market. If nothing else, when those shirts eventually reach the point where they go into the rag bin, I bet I could make a couple bucks removing and re-selling those shirts' Ralph Lauren-branded buttons.)

I still need a LOT more linen (or, rather, non-cotton) pants and skirts, though.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 19 Mar 2018, 20:42

Jennifer wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 19:03
Kwix wrote:
nicole wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Viscose/rayon does seem better than cotton, though, in terms of "how damp does it get and stay, when you wear it while sweating."
The point is, it doesn't matter whether the viscose is made from bamboo or cotton. There's enough processing that the inputs don't matter that much.

People make rayon from bamboo because it's convenient, not actually because making it from bamboo has any significantly special properties.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Mar 2018, 21:49

Jadagul wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 20:42
Jennifer wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 19:03
Kwix wrote:
nicole wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
The point is, it doesn't matter whether the viscose is made from bamboo or cotton. There's enough processing that the inputs don't matter that much.

People make rayon from bamboo because it's convenient, not actually because making it from bamboo has any significantly special properties.
I might be getting confused here -- is the point "viscose/rayon clothing is no different from bamboo clothing," or "... is no different from cotton clothing?" (Different specifically where "trying to stay dry-ish on hot-n-humid days" is concerned.)

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Mar 2018, 23:31

Jennifer wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 21:49
I might be getting confused here -- is the point "viscose/rayon clothing is no different from bamboo clothing," or "... is no different from cotton clothing?" (Different specifically where "trying to stay dry-ish on hot-n-humid days" is concerned.)
The former. "Bamboo clothing" is rayon. Calling it "bamboo" is about as meaningful as calling something made from recycled aluminum "made of beer cans". It's literally true, but the result is processed enough that it's indistinguishable from the same stuff made from other sources of cellulose/aluminum.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 20 Mar 2018, 03:45

Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 23:31
Jennifer wrote:
The former. "Bamboo clothing" is rayon. Calling it "bamboo" is about as meaningful as calling something made from recycled aluminum "made of beer cans". It's literally true, but the result is processed enough that it's indistinguishable from the same stuff made from other sources of cellulose/aluminum.
Right. "Viscose" isn't a raw material; it's a process. And it's a sufficiently destructive/totalizing process that it doesn't really matter what you started with.

In practice, people make viscose from bamboo. So when you see "bamboo fabric" that really just means viscose. But if people made viscose from cotton, it would come out exactly the same. (But they mostly don't. If you see a garment described as "cotton" it is almost certainly not viscose).

Basically, "rayon from bamboo" is like "particle board from pine" or something. It might be true but the second half doesn't actually matter.

The takeaway is that you shouldn't go looking for "bamboo" particularly. It's not that exciting. But you might want viscose/rayon, which may or may not be made from bamboo. And it's fine if it is.

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Mar 2018, 07:48

Jadagul wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 03:45
Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 23:31
Jennifer wrote:
Right. "Viscose" isn't a raw material; it's a process. And it's a sufficiently destructive/totalizing process that it doesn't really matter what you started with.

In practice, people make viscose from bamboo. So when you see "bamboo fabric" that really just means viscose. But if people made viscose from cotton, it would come out exactly the same. (But they mostly don't. If you see a garment described as "cotton" it is almost certainly not viscose).

Basically, "rayon from bamboo" is like "particle board from pine" or something. It might be true but the second half doesn't actually matter.

The takeaway is that you shouldn't go looking for "bamboo" particularly. It's not that exciting. But you might want viscose/rayon, which may or may not be made from bamboo. And it's fine if it is.
That would be true if there weren’t a ton of women’s underwear currently being marketed as “bamboo.”

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 20 Mar 2018, 13:22

Jennifer wrote:
I fear this may by my fault. What I was saying is that bamboo=rayon=viscose. I used the term "shoddy cotton" meaning the small cotton staple that is dissolved and used to make rayon. But rayon does not have the same properties as natural cotton fabric.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Mar 2018, 14:21

Kwix wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 13:22
Jennifer wrote:
I fear this may by my fault. What I was saying is that bamboo=rayon=viscose. I used the term "shoddy cotton" meaning the small cotton staple that is dissolved and used to make rayon. But rayon does not have the same properties as natural cotton fabric.
Literally any plant material containing cellulose can be used as raw material to synthesize rayon/viscose. So it can be bamboo, cotton scraps or below-grade cotton, oat hulls and wheat chaff, Venezuelan currency, the Constitution and Bill of Rights....
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Mar 2018, 14:40

So for my purposes -- specifically, the desire to wear clothes that will stay dry even on the most humid of days -- though linen and silk underwear are prohibitively expensive (especially if I seek to replace ALL of my cotton underthings), I gather rayon (or viscose) underwear would serve the same purpose? (I notice that searching online for "rayon" underwear nonetheless brings back lots of "bamboo" results. I guess that's the currently trendy form of rayon.)

The other day, when it was cool but humid and my initial attempt to wear a cotton shirt ended once I realized the shirt was unpleasantly damp and clammy -- I don't even think that was due to me being sweaty, given that it was only something like 73 degrees out and I was not "exerting" myself, merely walking at a leisurely pace. I think those damned cotton fibers were actually drawing moisture out of the air itself. (It was a super-humid evening -- not officially "foggy," but just below that point.)

I also realize: there were a couple times before, both when I lived in Virginia and in Connecticut before that, when I'd say something like "The weather today is in that unpleasant in-between place: too warm to wear winter clothes but too humid to wear summer clothes" (also "Too cool with the windows open, too hot with them shut") -- thinking back on it, my discomfort then likely wasn't due to the cool-but-humid conditions, so much as the fact that I was wearing cotton clothing in those conditions.

Pffft to cotton as a garment textile.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 21 Mar 2018, 14:45

Jennifer wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 14:40
So for my purposes ... I gather rayon (or viscose) underwear would serve the same purpose?
Dunno, I don't wear the stuff (rayon that is).

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 22 Mar 2018, 08:14

Go nekkid. With a mumu in reserve for formal occasions.