Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Warren » 27 Apr 2017, 12:55

Ellie wrote:
pistoffnick wrote:I saw a lady from Accounting yesterday who was wearing what looked like a backwards cardigan except that the buttons were non-functional. This does not compute! Why are the button sewn to the back of her sweater if they don't do anything? Does form no longer follow function?
Oh my god, I've seen a few sweaters in that style and they look SO STUPID. It just looks like you put a cardigan on backwards. It's dumb.
hmm *googles*
:roll: !? Why?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Apr 2017, 12:56

Haha I saw one of those backwards cardigans earlier and thought it looked really cute and was thinking about making it. Of course my phone screen shot is too large to upload.

Also, beautiful dress, JD.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Apr 2017, 13:32

pistoffnick wrote:I saw a lady from Accounting yesterday who was wearing what looked like a backwards cardigan except that the buttons were non-functional. This does not compute! Why are the button sewn to the back of her sweater if they don't do anything? Does form no longer follow function?
No longer? Have you ever worn a non bespoke suit?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Apr 2017, 13:46

Why did we all decide that lady tops for the summer should have shoulder cutouts? That's a not great sweater look, but ubiquitous around here right now.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Apr 2017, 13:53

JasonL wrote:Why did we all decide that lady tops for the summer should have shoulder cutouts?.
Oh, I hate this look too. It reminds me of a cheap sci-fi movie where they try to design the futuristic costumes by deliberately making them look different than modern clothes just for the sake of difference. "Women of today expose their cleavage ... but women of TOMORROW will expose their SHOULDER BONES!"
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 27 Apr 2017, 13:56

JasonL wrote:Why did we all decide that lady tops for the summer should have shoulder cutouts? That's a not great sweater look, but ubiquitous around here right now.
Perhaps we've come to the tipping point where once in the late 80's we had giant shoulder pads in everything and now we have clothing with no shoulders at all. So maybe in another 30 years we can expect to see giant shoulder pads again.

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Apr 2017, 13:57

nicole wrote:Haha I saw one of those backwards cardigans earlier and thought it looked really cute and was thinking about making it. Of course my phone screen shot is too large to upload.

Also, beautiful dress, JD.
Here it is
evelyn.jpg
evelyn.jpg (109.71 KiB) Viewed 480 times

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 27 Apr 2017, 14:00

It does look a little bit like they put it on backwards. Also wouldn't that be really uncomfortable to sit down in if the chair has a back?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Apr 2017, 14:01

How would you even button that up?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Apr 2017, 14:07

Hugh Akston wrote:How would you even button that up?
I imagine you'd put it on as a pullover.

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Apr 2017, 14:08

Dojito has pjs that button in the back (someone got it for us as a gift. They are the biggest pain in the ass and we only used them when every other set of pjs was dirty and immediately did laundry afterward.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 27 Apr 2017, 14:08

<polishes monocle> Have you no servants?
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Apr 2017, 14:10

Just cross your arms for that "Home-made Straitjacket" look...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Apr 2017, 14:21

nicole wrote:
So like do you store it unbuttoned, then button it up, then put it on, or just store it buttoned up and put it on while wondering if this is yet another subtle means by which the patriarchy undermines your agency?

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Apr 2017, 14:25

Mo wrote:Dojito has pjs that button in the back (someone got it for us as a gift. They are the biggest pain in the ass and we only used them when every other set of pjs was dirty and immediately did laundry afterward.
did you punch them in the throat for such a stupid fucking gift?
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Apr 2017, 14:28

dhex wrote:
Mo wrote:Dojito has pjs that button in the back (someone got it for us as a gift. They are the biggest pain in the ass and we only used them when every other set of pjs was dirty and immediately did laundry afterward.
did you punch them in the throat for such a stupid fucking gift?
I didn't notice it for months later because they were winter pjs, so I have no idea who to punch in the throat.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Apr 2017, 14:32

Can anyone explain what is so offensive about the ad that everyone is freaking out about in this article?

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... ck-fashion

They portrayed a professor as a woman of color in professional attire. And that is offensive because....?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Apr 2017, 14:41

Hugh Akston wrote:
nicole wrote:
So like do you store it unbuttoned, then button it up, then put it on, or just store it buttoned up and put it on while wondering if this is yet another subtle means by which the patriarchy undermines your agency?
What kind of monster doesn't store all their cardigans buttoned?

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Apr 2017, 14:50

thoreau wrote:Can anyone explain what is so offensive about the ad that everyone is freaking out about in this article?

They portrayed a professor as a woman of color in professional attire. And that is offensive because....?

Those tweets make professors seem aggressively frumpy.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Apr 2017, 14:52

thoreau wrote:Can anyone explain what is so offensive about the ad that everyone is freaking out about in this article?

Because a clothing store is supposed to say that it's misogynistic to notice what women are wearing and when the equality revolution arrives we'll all be wearing sackcloth and being judged for our minds alone.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Apr 2017, 14:54

nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
nicole wrote:
What kind of monster doesn't store all their cardigans buttoned?
I wouldn't know because I don't hang out in retirement villages.

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Apr 2017, 15:04

Seemed like everyone had a different opinion about why it was offensive, just that they agreed it was.

It definitely shows a complete lack of any ability to let things go if you complain about that. So Gap is trying to sell clothes, and trying to say "you should look good, and wearing our clothes you will". OK, so what they show isn't exactly what you would wear? That's the occasion to either evaluate what you are wearing, and either decide to change or justify continuing what you are doing. But instead of that, apparently people used the occasion make snarky or completely content-less tweets. "Seriously?" is not a highly descriptive critique.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Apr 2017, 21:07

I had professors wear heels. Also, what professor is on their feet all day. For one or two non-consecutive hours, sure. Also, the person tweeting about white pants in lab, there are other departments that have professors that don't have labs.

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Apr 2017, 22:37

Mo wrote:I had professors wear heels. Also, what professor is on their feet all day. For one or two non-consecutive hours, sure. Also, the person tweeting about white pants in lab, there are other departments that have professors that don't have labs.
Don't deny their lived experience, Mo!

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Apr 2017, 07:23

the real crime here is suggesting professors are able to dress that well.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim