Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
nicole

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by nicole » 28 May 2017, 12:20

I find a low braid does a good job keeping the hair off the neck while also making hats no problem.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 28 May 2017, 15:30

Jennifer wrote:Also -- this is a related observation from the times I've gone through the super-trendy / cool-kid neighborhoods in Atlanta -- how the fuck do Southern Goths pull it off? The whole "black velvet/black leather/black everything" look is easy to pull off in places like New England, where it's chilly nine months out of every twelve, and heavy or heavy-ish face makeup is also easy where you know you won't immediately sweat it all off the second you step outside. How do these Atlanta goth kids pull it off, though? Did I, like, completely miss some new technological development of sleek portable air conditioners sewn into people's clothes? Thank Zod I outgrew my "all is darkness" phase well before coming down here.
They're just sweaty.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 28 May 2017, 16:16

tr0g wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Also -- this is a related observation from the times I've gone through the super-trendy / cool-kid neighborhoods in Atlanta -- how the fuck do Southern Goths pull it off? The whole "black velvet/black leather/black everything" look is easy to pull off in places like New England, where it's chilly nine months out of every twelve, and heavy or heavy-ish face makeup is also easy where you know you won't immediately sweat it all off the second you step outside. How do these Atlanta goth kids pull it off, though? Did I, like, completely miss some new technological development of sleek portable air conditioners sewn into people's clothes? Thank Zod I outgrew my "all is darkness" phase well before coming down here.
They're just sweaty.
Yeah. I don't wear a lot of dark clothes during the summer, but people ask me the same question about the fact that I basically only leave the house wearing full-length pants and a jacket. And it's not has hot as it looks, but also I'm willing to be hot if that's the price for looking hot.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 May 2017, 20:00

nicole wrote:I find a low braid does a good job keeping the hair off the neck while also making hats no problem.
I can't do a braid centered in the back of my head, because I cannot braid my hair unless I can actually see what my fingers are doing, and given the way my bathrooms and bathroom mirrors are arranged, doing an "infinity mirror" setup for me to see the back of my head isn't an option. (I have been keeping an eye out for a large, lightweight mirror I could hang off the shower-curtain rod, to reflect in the built-in wall mirror, but no luck so far. And my experiment with hanging a large hand mirror ended in failure.) I can do over-the-shoulder fishtail braids, since I can easily see that hair in a mirror, but they still come out so that the nape of my neck is thickly covered with hair. And bobby pins and small clip or barrettes don't work to hold that hair off the nape either, because my hair's texture is such that these clips or pins will slip out of place within nanoseconds of their application.

Realistically, I think my best bet is to write off any hope of looking [let alone being] cool and stylish between Memorial Day and Halloween.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 May 2017, 08:04

Ah, yeah I can do it blind.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 May 2017, 14:17

I wish I could, but ...nope. Anytime I try the results are just a tangled mess.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 31 May 2017, 02:13

Hmm. I may have found a solution: while going through some boxes last night, I found over a dozen five-inch* banana clips I'd almost completely forgotten about. (I knew I had one or two banana clips lying around somewhere -- I doubt there exists any sort of long-hair accessory for which I don't own at least one or two examples -- I just didn't realize how freaking many I had.) They meet the requirements of keeping my hair off the back of my neck and fitting under a sun hat; the only thing I'm not sure about is, in a professional context (say, a job interview or something of that nature), which would be better: hair held in a smallish neutral-color banana clip -- a reddish-brown that's almost invisible against my hair unless you're up close and looking for it -- or hair in a sleek ponytail held by a wide, neutral/complementary-color barrette? Or are they more or less equal? (Personally, I think banana-clipped hair is more flattering -- or rather, less unflattering -- to me, given the shape of my face and hair; I just have no idea if it would be appropriate in a professional setting.)

*EDIT: I dunno if they're five-inch or seven-inch clips, actually; they're about five inches in a straight line from end to end, but of course the clips are curved; if you straightened them out, perhaps they would be seven inches. Thing is, they're of relatively modest size, not the super-giant ones that cover the entire back of the head, of the sort that were super-popular among teenage girls for about three weeks in the late 80s.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Jun 2017, 14:23

I'm still going through the process of trying to replace pretty much the entirety of my summer wardrobe, after discovering that clothes which work very well for New England summers, and passably well for northern Virginia, plain do NOT cut it in the sweltering soup that is north Georgia. But one thing I find maddening is when I see what would be a perfectly good lightweight blazer, skirt, dress or something -- right color and cut for me, and also made of linen, rayon or silk rather than sweat-hoarding cotton or some non-breathable synthetic -- except the designer gave it a non-breathable POLYESTER LINING.

I'm wondering: is it possible to buy such a piece and then cut out the lining altogether, without damaging the shape or cut of the garment? Or would removing the lining be the clothing equivalent of tearing down a house's supporting wall?

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 Jun 2017, 15:52

I would say in the vast majority of cases you could definitely rip the lining out. Even if you were to find it was structurally necessary to a given garment, you would likely not have to leave all of the lining intact and could still rip out most of it. That said, I would do a lot of turning and moving in front of a mirror before I did it, to make sure I didn't think the lack of lining wouldn't actually be visible.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Jun 2017, 16:20

nicole wrote:I would say in the vast majority of cases you could definitely rip the lining out. Even if you were to find it was structurally necessary to a given garment, you would likely not have to leave all of the lining intact and could still rip out most of it. That said, I would do a lot of turning and moving in front of a mirror before I did it, to make sure I didn't think the lack of lining wouldn't actually be visible.
Other than the obvious "Would the fabric be too thin/transparent without that lining," do you know of anything I should look for to indicate the lining is necessary -- along the lines of "If the jacket hangs like THIS with the lining, it'll hang like THAT without it?"

During my thrift-store trip the other day -- when I found nine tops for only $35, except some of them were either in colors I don't usually wear, or in sizes far too big to be stylish (let alone professional) for me (purchases I would never have made were I not genuinely desperate for ANYTHING I could wear outside the confines of my air-conditioned home, in other words), there were two very nice long-sleeved linen shirts I almost bought -- a nice shade of off-white that looks okay with my complexion, fit me perfectly and would've been excellent additions to my extremely tiny professional/social deep-summer wardrobe -- except the fabric was so thin, when I tried the shirts on I could clearly see the color of my own skin through it. I figured any material that thin would be near-useless for sun-protection purposes.

Also: do you know how well pre-treated silk or linen holds dyes? I was thinking of taking those red and pink desperation-shirts I bought and applying blue dye to them -- I doubt the result would be true blue, but if I'm lucky the result would be something more in line with my own preferred color palette. (Where my complexion is concerned, Roy of ROY G BIV fame absolutely clashes with me. Though there are some BIV colors with pinkish or reddish undertones that work well, including purples which contain more blue than red.) Back in the day when Jeff and I both wore primarily black clothes, we would periodically refresh faded garments by soaking them in black dye -- but in those days, our wardrobes were made primarily of cotton. I know cotton holds dye well, but I can't recall ever trying dye on linen or silk.

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Jun 2017, 10:04

As far as the lining -- I would look to see where it is attached to the jacket and whether I think it is creating structural integrity at those points. Does that make sense? Like, is it just tacked in, or is it seamed in in a way that adds structure to the garment?

I've never done any textile dyeing myself, so I don't really know about that...at least not on finished, treated garments. I am aware of a ton of hand-dyeing of yarn and have a general idea of how it works. I can tell you for sure that silk and linen both tend to take colors in somewhat more muted ways, at least compared to wool -- though cotton does too, so perhaps it would be at the level you are expecting. If it were me, I'd probably think about trying to dye one of them in tea to see how that went...not sure that would take the color to a place you really want but it could tone it down and neutralize it, and I know people use that to overdye previously treated stuff.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Jun 2017, 13:09

I finally fit into the "Editor" pants that Rachel gave me because they were too big for her -- a mere 5+ years after she gave them to me :lol:

They are super duper nice!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Jun 2017, 13:10

I used to love the "Editor" pant!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Jun 2017, 13:12

They feeeeeel so nice and high quality. Makes me embarrassed about the rest of my Wal-Mart wardrobe :lol:

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 27 Jun 2017, 13:31

I used to love the Editor pants, but haven't gotten a new pair in years.

My favorite pants are actually The Limited, which just went out of business, so I may have to go back. Banana Republic is overpriced, and Gap stopped making their dress pants, which were surprisingly perfect.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Jun 2017, 13:48

I switched from the Editor to J Crew's Minnie which has since been discontinued and I will never recover. Mine are still holding up okay though.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 27 Jun 2017, 18:37

nicole wrote:I switched from the Editor to J Crew's Minnie which has since been discontinued and I will never recover. Mine are still holding up okay though.
I have found that Poshmark is actually a pretty reliable source (WAY, WAY better than ebay) when looking for specific brands/sizes of NWT or almost new clothing. I have gotten good work pants/blazers this way. You have to hunt through garbage, but it's worth it if you're looking for something specific.

Edit: Because I'm short and the way I carry my weight means I also like to keep pants on hand in two sizes now, though I have given up my four size range pants hoarding, you still might want to check off a wide range of sizes on Poshmark initially to find what you're looking for, especially since vanity sizing in brands has gotten even crazier.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Jun 2017, 11:19

Have you guys tried ThredUP? A co-worker has been singing their praises, but I haven't tried it yet because I don't actually know what my sizes are in decent brand names. But they have another pair of Editor pants in the same size I'm in now for $10. Plus you get 40% your first order with the promo code THRIFTY40. Soooooo ... I'm maybe going to order those plus a few more things for work, because I have FUCK ALL to wear right now (today I am wearing a maternity shirt tied up with a hair elastic).

I'm pretty sure though that if I spend any sizeable amount on nice clothes, I will either immediately gain 100 pounds or become pregnant. It's just tempting fate.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 28 Jun 2017, 12:13

ThredUP is terrrrrrible.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Jun 2017, 12:43

Good to know! I will probably just skip them then.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Jun 2017, 21:56

So ... today I learned short-sleeved blazers are a thing. Not a thing I intend ever to wear, but a thing nonetheless.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Jul 2017, 14:06

Insert monthly "I hate my hair" post here.

(Current woes: unflattering in-between length; love being blonde but haaate this fried texture that expensive treatments have not fixed even a little bit.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Jul 2017, 16:21

Ellie wrote:Insert monthly "I hate my hair" post here.

(Current woes: unflattering in-between length; love being blonde but haaate this fried texture that expensive treatments have not fixed even a little bit.)
Imma take this opportunity to organically work in a "hey, try giving up shampoo and washing your hair only with water, and perhaps a light conditioner for detangling!" reference. If you don't want to go that far, then try cutting half the shampoo out of your washing regimen: rather than use shampoo every time you wash your hair, use shampoo only every other time you wash it; then, for the "other" time, use conditioner only. (Before I gave up the shampoo habit altogether, I did the "only shampoo every other time" bit for at least a year, and noticed my hair always looked especially good after no-shampoo washings.)

When I first gave up shampoo, my hair looked like hell for the first few weeks, as my scalp's oil levels returned to normal; at one point, for a few days, the roots looked greasy while the rest of my hair looked like a fried frizzball. But if your hair already looks fried....

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Jul 2017, 16:28

I don't use shampoo at all. I only even rinse it with water every couple of weeks. (I'm sure that makes me smell like ass, but that's a different issue for a different day.) I leave in conditioner or moisturizer every 3-4 days. Aphogee two-step protein treatment every six weeks. Still feels like crunchy doll hair, except for maybe a day after the Aphogee. It's fucking fried.

Edited to add: sorry if I come across as abrupt -- I really do appreciate the advice! I'm just mad at my hair and not sure what to do about it, since I simultaneously want it long, blond, short, and healthy, and can at best have 2/4 at the moment.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Jul 2017, 17:47

Hmm, that is odd. Given that you'll go days at a time without washing your hair at all (even with water), and you'll periodically give it a hardcore leave-in conditioning or moisturizing treatment, I'd expect any hair troubles you have to be of the "too oily/greasy" variety, rather than "fried/frazzled/not oily enough."

My best guess is that whatever you're using to blondify your hair must be horrifically harsh stuff. I take it you're bleaching rather than dyeing it? (Bleach= taking stuff out of your hair. Dye= putting stuff in.) IIRC, isn't your natural color either a light brown, or that Caucasian non-color known as "fair"? If that's the base color you're starting with, I think a sufficiently light blonde dye would work for you. Especially if you allow your hair in summertime to be naturally lightened by the sun.