Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 07 May 2014, 10:28

Limited, unprofessional wardrobe to begin with + 20 pregnancy pounds that don't look like they're going to shift anytime soon = a reeeeeeeeally shitty selection of clothing. And it sucks and [blah blah whining blah].

No longer! I am attempting to dress for the body I have and the job I want, etc., and have some online clothes orders arriving today that I will report back on because I know you all care so deeply. My hopes are not high. Right now my measurements are 40-42-48. Anything I get will have to be altered (most plus-size clothes are bust 8-10 inches bigger than waist, waist 10-12 inches smaller than hips) and I'm not even sure what I should be getting in the first place -- I don't see a lot of fashion tips if your body type is "pyramid."

When are togas coming back in fashion, anyway?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

nicole

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by nicole » 07 May 2014, 10:53

I'm just spitballing here, but I can kind of envision some kind of straight bottom piece (e.g., pencil skirt, straight-leg trousers) with a shell and then a cardigan or blazer to balance the top out.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 May 2014, 10:59

That sounds nice! *taking notes*

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 May 2014, 12:15

You might want to also try on some tops that have some kind of fluttery shit around the neckline, or something like that, to pull the eye up and concentrate it at your narrowest point. Or a high, wide neckline like a boatneck would probably have a similar effect.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 May 2014, 15:33

Ellie wrote:Limited, unprofessional wardrobe to begin with + 20 pregnancy pounds that don't look like they're going to shift anytime soon = a reeeeeeeeally shitty selection of clothing. And it sucks and [blah blah whining blah].

No longer! I am attempting to dress for the body I have and the job I want, etc., and have some online clothes orders arriving today that I will report back on because I know you all care so deeply. My hopes are not high. Right now my measurements are 40-42-48. Anything I get will have to be altered (most plus-size clothes are bust 8-10 inches bigger than waist, waist 10-12 inches smaller than hips) and I'm not even sure what I should be getting in the first place -- I don't see a lot of fashion tips if your body type is "pyramid."

When are togas coming back in fashion, anyway?
I'm pretty sure the body type term you're looking for is "pear"?

Try here, for instance.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 May 2014, 17:23

I always thought pear was a "defined waist, big hips" type -- a larger than usual difference between waist and hips than average, without the chest to balance it out into a classic hourglass. But I am clearly not an expert!

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 May 2014, 17:23

I know gender roles is a touchy subject in some quarters here, but shouldn't there be a separate (but equal!) thread for the Well Dressed Woman?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 May 2014, 17:25

I was planning to start one when my clothes actually arrived so I wouldn't spam this thread with my girly shit, conveniently ignoring the fact that I've been doing that all day. :lol: I'll split it now.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 May 2014, 17:41

Ellie wrote:I was planning to start one when my clothes actually arrived so I wouldn't spam this thread with my girly shit, conveniently ignoring the fact that I've been doing that all day. :lol: I'll split it now.
Thanks. And I'm sure it's understood by all that Jadagul will be posting in both threads. *grin*

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 May 2014, 18:41

Ellie wrote:I always thought pear was a "defined waist, big hips" type -- a larger than usual difference between waist and hips than average, without the chest to balance it out into a classic hourglass. But I am clearly not an expert!
I'm not either. But the basic suggestions that article made for pear shapes (which it also seems to call "A-frame") looked like basically the right idea--the important thing is balance. If your hips are bigger than everything else, dress to broaden your bust/shoulder line, ad well as to just draw attention to it, and possibly dress for a bit of a flare at your feet as well.
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Ellie wrote:I was planning to start one when my clothes actually arrived so I wouldn't spam this thread with my girly shit, conveniently ignoring the fact that I've been doing that all day. :lol: I'll split it now.
Thanks. And I'm sure it's understood by all that Jadagul will be posting in both threads. *grin*
Of course.

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 May 2014, 19:17

Jadagul wrote:
Ellie wrote:I always thought pear was a "defined waist, big hips" type -- a larger than usual difference between waist and hips than average, without the chest to balance it out into a classic hourglass. But I am clearly not an expert!
I'm not either. But the basic suggestions that article made for pear shapes (which it also seems to call "A-frame") looked like basically the right idea--the important thing is balance. If your hips are bigger than everything else, dress to broaden your bust/shoulder line, ad well as to just draw attention to it, and possibly dress for a bit of a flare at your feet as well.

Yep.

The one thing I would say about flair at your feet is that it will probably only work if you go a bit tighter around the hips, so if you're self-conscious about your booty at all I'd go for the straighter options so they can be fitted, but not huggy.

Ellie

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 12 May 2014, 11:55

The clothes are here, and I'll post photos tonight, but in the meantime: SHOES. What the hell? I don't know. I have no nice shoes. Literally none. I am starting from zero. I don't get shoes. Heels are generally considered more ... formal? Business appropriate? But I've always been awkward on heels and then when I was drinking the full paleo kool-aid I read all these warnings about shoes in general and heels in particular and now I have an unfounded, instinctive horror of wearing anything besides flats. Also, I have stinky feet that ruin shoes when I wear them barefoot, but I can't wear socks with everything. Shoes are hard.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 May 2014, 12:02

Ellie wrote:The clothes are here, and I'll post photos tonight, but in the meantime: SHOES. What the hell? I don't know. I have no nice shoes. Literally none. I am starting from zero. I don't get shoes. Heels are generally considered more ... formal? Business appropriate? But I've always been awkward on heels and then when I was drinking the full paleo kool-aid I read all these warnings about shoes in general and heels in particular and now I have an unfounded, instinctive horror of wearing anything besides flats. Also, I have stinky feet that ruin shoes when I wear them barefoot, but I can't wear socks with everything. Shoes are hard.
Shoes are, IMO, the hardest part of an attractive "woman's outfit," partly for reasons you name.

When I had to wear business/work clothes of the sort where you can't possibly wear sneakers with them, I generally made do with basic flat-heeled pumps in neutral colors. I never bothered buying "nice" shoes unless I found, say, an unbelievably cheap deal at some shoe store clearance sale; for the most part I just bought inexpensive pumps from Payless or Marshalls or TJ Maxx-type places. But that is partially due to my being pigeon-toed and bowlegged enough that no matter how well-made a pair of shoes is, I'm pretty much guaranteed to wear them out ridiculously quickly compared to most people.

Hint: if you do find a pair of comfortable, attractive shoes you actually like, they will last much longer if you can buy two pairs and wear them on alternate days, rather than wear the same pair of shoes every single day until they wear out.
Last edited by Jennifer on 12 May 2014, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 May 2014, 12:02

Heels are the chains of patriarchy. You can cast them off and find any number of cute and comfortable flats to accompany any outfit.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 May 2014, 12:03

Ellie wrote:The clothes are here, and I'll post photos tonight, but in the meantime: SHOES. What the hell? I don't know. I have no nice shoes. Literally none. I am starting from zero. I don't get shoes. Heels are generally considered more ... formal? Business appropriate? But I've always been awkward on heels and then when I was drinking the full paleo kool-aid I read all these warnings about shoes in general and heels in particular and now I have an unfounded, instinctive horror of wearing anything besides flats. Also, I have stinky feet that ruin shoes when I wear them barefoot, but I can't wear socks with everything. Shoes are hard.
Why can't we just go shopping together?!?!?!

Flats are okay and becoming more okay professionally all the time, but heels are almost always going to be "better" in that respect and will also frequently make you look better (push up your butt and boobs). What kind of heel heights have you tried in the past? And how do you walk in them, e.g., do you put the heel down first, try to put your whole foot down at once? And what kind of shoes with heel, e.g., pumps, mary janes? What kind of heel--how wide, wedges, etc?

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 May 2014, 12:04

Hugh Akston wrote:Heels are the chains of patriarchy. You can cast them off and find any number of cute and comfortable flats to accompany any outfit.
Hugh just doesn't want you to kick him in the balls when you're rocking those stilettos.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 12 May 2014, 12:45

nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Heels are the chains of patriarchy. You can cast them off and find any number of cute and comfortable flats to accompany any outfit.
Hugh just doesn't want you to kick him in the balls when you're rocking those stilettos.
The internet informs me some men like that. Whether or not Hugh is in that group I cannot say.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 May 2014, 12:54

tr0g wrote:
nicole wrote:
The internet informs me some men like that. Whether or not Hugh is in that group I cannot say.
My balls should be treated with the same tenderness as a newborn babe, and I wouldn't entrust them or a baby to a woman wearing heels.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 May 2014, 13:03

Hugh Akston wrote:My balls should be treated with the same tenderness as a newborn babe, and I wouldn't entrust them or a baby to a woman wearing heels.
I just don't even know what to say to that, Jadahugh.

JD

Post by JD » 12 May 2014, 14:39

If heels are the chains of the patriarchy, then give me some chained-up ladies. (That doesn't sound weird at all...) Sure, flats can be cute. Can be. And just that: just cute. Heels can be so much more.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 May 2014, 14:41

JD wrote:
If heels are the chains of the patriarchy, then give me some chained-up ladies. (That doesn't sound weird at all...) Sure, flats can be cute. Can be. And just that: just cute. Heels can be so much more.
Oh for fuck sake JD
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 May 2014, 14:48

JD wrote:
For the women you know, working in burlesque or similar fields, yes, I agree totally. I wore heels in my dancing days, too. I'm pretty sure Ellie's looking for jobs in a different type of market.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 May 2014, 14:51

There's enough room in the world for flats and heels and for the types of women folk who prefer each.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 May 2014, 15:02

mrs lunchstealer is almost perpetually in the same boat. Add to that plantar-fascia issues and bone spurs, and a lot of shoes are simply unworkable. Also she hates shopping. She did manage to find a reasonably attractive and quasiprofessional pair of Merrells (of all things) that manage not to kill her feet, but that she can even interview in. Her particular one is no longer in production, but they've got some options for flats that look like they'd pass most office muster, and probably could accommodate a pair of oder-eaters.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Women-Foot ... port-Shoes

Edited for better link.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 12 May 2014, 15:16

nicole wrote:
Why can't we just go shopping together?!?!?!

Flats are okay and becoming more okay professionally all the time, but heels are almost always going to be "better" in that respect and will also frequently make you look better (push up your butt and boobs). What kind of heel heights have you tried in the past? And how do you walk in them, e.g., do you put the heel down first, try to put your whole foot down at once? And what kind of shoes with heel, e.g., pumps, mary janes? What kind of heel--how wide, wedges, etc?
Oh, good, it looks like I'm off-duty on teaching women to walk in heels around here now.
Jennifer wrote:
Hint: if you do find a pair of comfortable, attractive shoes you actually like, they will last much longer if you can buy two pairs and wear them on alternate days, rather than wear the same pair of shoes every single day until they wear out.
This is important. Men's stuff, at least, generally advises that you should never wear any pair of shoes two days in a row if you can possibly avoid it. You can also extend their lifespans--and fix some of the stinky-feet problem--by storing them with cedar shavings or on cedar shoe trees or something like that; the cedar absorbs moisture and odor.