Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
nicole

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by nicole »

My first reaction to this is always, man, remember when she used to be the cute, "alternative" (quasi-)Kardashian?

But also...how the f do you sell a billion dollars in lip kits when your lips look like this

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote:
20 May 2020, 18:11
...I'm a clothes horse who's been shopping at thrift stores for pretty much my entire adult life. So, between the facts "I like 'nice' clothes" and "I know where to find nice clothes (pre-pandemic) dirt cheap," for the majority of my adult existence, if you were to ask "How many nice, comfortable, flattering garments does Jennifer have for her local environment, compared to the typical American woman in her socioeconomic bracket," the answer would be "Considerably more than average."...
So I was kinda wondering about that average, and just how far out of the norm I am. Question for y'all here (if you don't mind my asking; this is not an intent to pry out embarrassing secrets): can you give an accurate or close-ballpark estimate of, for example, "How many long pants [or skirts/pant equivalents] do you own, in good enough condition to wear in public?" (I added that last bit to exclude things like pajamas/sleepwear, and also stuff like "those old grease-stained pants you only wear when working on your car" or "when you're doing certain extra-dirty horse-care tasks" or "grass-stained lawnmowing jeans" or similar garments you do NOT store with your regular "work/socializing/pre-covid everyday interactions" clothes. Also, not counting things like snow pants, fisherman's waders or other garments which are worn not as "pants" so much as "protectors OVER pants." And, not counting short pants of any kind, because they have an innate informality making them IMO a completely different garment-category than 'long pants.".)

I mentioned elsewhere how I spent the past couple days killing some quarantine time by arranging my clothes closets to an organizational extent FAR beyond my usual personal/historic norms. So for the first time ever, I can actually answer that question with only a couple minute's effort spent counting hangers in the closets plus the contents of a single dresser (and double-checking that I did indeed have only the one garment in the dirty-clothes hamper): as of today, the number of public-worthy long pants I own (not counting sweatpants, which I only wear as pajamas) is 60: 39 "summer pants" (no cotton or wool), 7 cotton or wool "winter pants" kept on hangers plus 14 pairs of jeans or corduroys in drawers. I also have 19 long skirts or sundresses (12 summer, 7 winter), and two vintage above-the-knee skirts, for a total of 81 garments comprising the bottom half of a typical top-and-bottom outfit.

That I know of: I'm sure I have a few more skirts or pants packed away in a box somewhere, or a couple that fell behind a dresser and I didn't notice, or things like that.

On second thought, maybe I should've posted this in the "embarrassing confessions" thread.

But anyway, how compares this number to yours?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

My numbers are skewed to the scant end of the clothing spectrum because I gained weight after my last pregnancy (who does that? Haha) and replacing clothes at my new size is expensive and difficult.

For respectable clothes I have two pairs of business-casual slacks, one pair of jeans, and two skirts. If we lower the bar to things I could go to the grocery store in and not be mistaken for a homeless person, I also have five leggings (bought at Aldi of all places), one pair of sweatpants, and three pairs of shorts (all cutoffs from other leggings).
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

nicole

Post by nicole »

I have a lot of clothes. I would say somewhere in your ballpark, Jennifer. Could easily be more.

They don’t all fit me equally well but I still have definitely a sizable wardrobe for pretty much every size I’ve been over the past 12 years or so.

I also have a lot of clothes that I’ve owned for a long time now, which I often see people saying they don’t. I wear stuff pretty regularly that I’ve had for 10 years. I’ve worn out plenty of things as well of course, but I do take good care of my clothes.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ellie wrote:
22 May 2020, 18:17
My numbers are skewed to the scant end of the clothing spectrum because I gained weight after my last pregnancy (who does that? Haha) and replacing clothes at my new size is expensive and difficult.

For respectable clothes I have two pairs of business-casual slacks, one pair of jeans, and two skirts. If we lower the bar to things I could go to the grocery store in and not be mistaken for a homeless person, I also have five leggings
FWIW, my long-pants count (specifically my "summer pants" does include a few pairs of leggings, all from thrift stores but originally with labels like "White House/Black Market." Sort of weird pants/legging hybrids, where the fit is definitely 100% "legging," but they're of thicker (rayon) material than typical leggings, and have pant-ish flourishes like pockets, and decorative rivets at the seams.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

FWIW, I'm also curious how many garments the guys here have.

I will add, the current number of my summer pants is higher than my usual norm [pre-Georgia] because in Georgia summer, not only is it impossible to wear a garment more than once without having to wash it, it's not uncommon for me to change clothes twice a day (putting on something less-sweaty when I come in from doing something and it isn't time to shower). Under ordinary circumstance, if I'd been visiting thrift stores as usual, these past 2.5 months, I wouldn't have bought too many more new pants (unless they were super-good deals, like "black Banana Republic rayon pants, my size, perfect condition, under $6") ... but I would have a LOT more rayon shirts, because IIRC it's only in the last couple months before covid that I started finding lots of really nice ones in my size. So I only have (by my standards), a small number of rayon shirts, and they're all too nice to wear in quarantine conditions or on mere grocery errands.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Are you counting clothes I have, or clothes I actually wear?

Daily wear is mostly like four suits I have and one pair of jeans. What I actually have is:

Ten suits (which each include a pair of pants), not counting the tailsuit and the tuxedo.

Like twenty pairs of assorted slacks? Some of which don't super fit any more, some of which I don't like, and some of which are now trashy slacks.

Five or six pairs of dance slacks.

Three pairs of nice-ish jeans and three pairs of "work clothes" jeans.

Three pairs of nice shorts, which I never wear. Three pairs of gym shorts.

A couple pairs of yoga pants, but those aren't really outside-wear.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

nicole wrote:
22 May 2020, 18:35
I also have a lot of clothes that I’ve owned for a long time now, which I often see people saying they don’t. I wear stuff pretty regularly that I’ve had for 10 years.
I've heard of full-grown people who only keep their clothes a year or two before getting rid of them -- indeed, I depend on them to stock the thrift stores from which I dress myself -- but I don't think I've actually encountered any IRL; I guess my friends either aren't rich enough or wasteful enough to get rid of practically new clothes just because a slightly different version of the garment came out.

I also keep most of my clothes until they wear out (usually); I still have the burgundy velvet jacket I found for $3, the night I first discovered "Holy shit, thrift stores have awesome stuff in them." That would've been in February or March of 1990. Plus a lot of the unique vintage coats (and a really gorgeous cape) and boho/gothy pieces I found in the 90s. But those aren't everyday clothes; where those are concerned, I still have a couple of ancient pullover sweaters, couple more silk shirts, two old dresses and one plaid flannel from my undergrad years, and a LOT of the winter sweaters and things I had in Connecticut (moved away in 2012), but ALL of my current summer wardrobe, except a couple of skirts, are things I've bought since moving to Georgia (because I never bought linen or rayon before then).

But I think all of my longtime stuff (except a couple old T-shirts, the hippie dresses and a weird Indian thing I only keep for sentimental value) is winter garments. Even in Connecticut, my summer clothes tended to wear out far faster than winter clothes -- not surprising, between the increased sunlight and more frequent washings summer clothes are subjected to. (Plus, of course, they tend to be made much thinner and flimsier than sturdy Connecticut-winter garments.)

Naturally, now that I know "The clothes I have now will have to last me for an indeterminate time, and I have no idea when I'll be able to buy more again," I feel I don't have nearly enough. (Especially not long-sleeve rayon shirts to wear during quarantine; plenty of linen, but no everyday rayon for the super-hot days that are coming.)

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Like Jadagul, there's a significant difference between clothes hanging in my closet and clothes I actually wear, in my case primarily because I haven't culled my closet as I should have done at least a decade ago and, of course, I have little need for suits now. So, somewhere around a dozen suits, all but two of which I should discard, and yes of course that includes pants. Eight to ten sports jackets including a couple blazers and a few Harris tweed jackets. Dozens of dress shirts, a half dozen polo shirts and countless tee shirts, some kept only for sentimental value. Another dozen or so casual, e.g., beach shirts. Eight to ten sweaters. Two dinner jackets, neither of which probably fit. A few pair of jeans, a half dozen pair of dress pants, another half dozen casual slacks (khakis, etc.) and a half dozen shorts. A couple dozen pair of shoes, 2/3ds of which I never wear. What I seem to own an inordinate number of is coats and jackets, from informal and dress winter coats to trench coats and leather jackets to golf jackets, a jeans jacket and a waxed canvas field jacket. And hats. At least a dozen fedora style hats and another dozen non-Baseball caps and yet another dozen baseball caps. What can I say? I like hats.

Curiously, I only just recently decided to indeed make a significant purge. I obviously like clothes and most of what I've described are in good condition and I would wear many of them still if they fit and if the weather were more like back in Virginia, but I increasingly realize that's probably not going to happen. Now that the thrift stores are beginning to open up, I'll probably end up with less than half of what I described above by this time next month.

And then, of course, I'll start buying new clothes. *sigh* But at least they'll fit.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
23 May 2020, 12:02
Like Jadagul, there's a significant difference between clothes hanging in my closet and clothes I actually wear
Aargh! Tried posting a comment and the server ate it. (That hasn't happened in a loooong time.) But I was gonna say, regarding those 81 bottom-half garments I own (and clothes in all other categories, too) less than half of them are in the "clothes I actually, regularly wear" group, or would wear in normal non-covid conditions. Especially many of the skirts and dresses, some of which are obviously goth or hippiegoth items. (A long, straight black skirt isn't inherently gothy – unless the lowest few inches are fringe. Even in my goth days that was club/concert/datewear rather than everyday wear, but I can't bear to get rid of it and it does still fit. Furthermore, discarding it wouldn't net me any extra closet space, since it's one of several items on a single multi-clipped skirt hanger holding a few other goth-days remnants and the red skirt I wore to get married.)
I obviously like clothes and most of what I've described are in good condition and I would wear many of them still if they fit and if the weather were more like back in Virginia,
My current “own but never wear” garments include a few spectacularly gorgeous items (vintage coats, jackets/blazers, couple ornate Victorian/ black-steampunky vests, two capes, etc.) which are extremely high quality, far above most of my clothes, and were obviously fiendishly expensive when their original owners first acquired them, possibly before I was born in some cases. I always took extra-good care of those pieces when I wore them in New England for dress-up events on crisp or downright cold nights, so they're still in great condition and they all still fit me too (once you know you won't get any taller, it's really hard to outgrow a cape)… but I'm in Georgia now, and even if I still had a gothy nightlife or, Zod forbid, were dating, there's only a handful of nights in a given year when temperatures are low enough to allow such things. But I won't get rid of them (in part because it's still not certain we'll stay in Georgia, so I'm keeping these in case we end up relocating back to a colder climate).

Regarding those 39 pairs of summer pants I mentioned – ALL of them I acquired in Georgia over the past four years. (Any pants I had in Connecticut or Virginia, jeans included, are now in the “winter” category, because they're cotton.) The majority of my “good” summer pants I only got in the past few months (pre-covid), after I'd learned that despite my previous misconceptions, rayon is actually an excellent fabric for hot and humid conditions. Once I knew this – and given that I was looking in autumn and winter, which of course is the best time of year for a thrift-store shopper to search for deep-summer clothes – I started making a LOT of good scores, and (ironically) thought, “At this rate, 2020 will be my first Georgia summer when I have a full-sized wardrobe of actually nice clothes.” (Of course, I didn't know “this rate” of thrift-store clothing acquisition would crash to a halt in mid-March.)

Roughly half my summer pants are black rayon or rayon-blend non-legging pieces, “good” ones mostly with labels like Banana Republic, J. Crew or White House Black Market, plus a couple Merona/Target knockoffs, and the less-nice ones with labels I mostly don't recognize, but suspect they came from teenage or twenty-something stores. My original plan was for “black rayon/blend pants” to become my summer wardrobe staple, not only for social-professional occasions but also filling the niche jeans used to occupy in my summer casual-clothing ecosystem.

However, since quarantine started and I'm home all day, I don't want to wear out any of my good (or even above-average) clothes, so I moved them all to the sides of my office-room closet, the part you can't see when the door is open, but have to actually root around back with a flashlight. So since quarantine started, I haven't worn any of my better clothes, including black pants or even black leggings.

Right now, it's still early in hot and humid season, when the temperature isn't too bad, so I've been wearing various linen pants in colors I don't like (purchased pre-rayon discovery), plus my less-nice linen shirts. Once temps get into the 90s I'll switch to rayon leggings or my less-nice rayon pants – but I'll still have to wear linen shirts outside because I have only three long-sleeved rayon button-front shirts, which I don't want to wear out**, and even the thinnest, lightest linen retains noticeably more body heat than rayon.

**All recent-ish purchases, all dark or bold shades of ultra-flattering blue or green which look great with any of my black summer pants AND with my black summer blazers/jackets if need be … but their colors are guaranteed to fade fast under ferocious Georgia solar radiation. And, based on my thrift-store experiences it seems that, while nice rayon or rayon-blend pants and blazers in my size are fairly common, nice long-sleeved rayon button-front shirts of ANY size are surprisingly difficult to find (I'm willing to go too-large for casual-wear purposes, especially for outdoor events on super-sunny days, when I actually prefer a shirt with too-long sleeves, to keep my hands covered from the sun). Which is why I only have three rayon outdoor shirts, and by an odd coincidence all three happened to be high quality, my exact size AND my all-time favorite hard-to-find shirt colors ... thus rendering all three “too nice” for casual everyday use, especially in time of quarantine.

P.S. Since my original post got eaten by the server, I re-created this in a word-processing document. While trying to recollect what I'd written before, of course I ended up thinking of some other additional things as well and, long story short, this post is at least two or three times longer than my original brief (two or three paragraph) post which the server refused to handle. Take THAT, asshole server!
Last edited by Jennifer on 23 May 2020, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Oh, this is awesome -- regarding my previous complaint of having NO rayon long-sleeve garments to wear outdoors in quarantine summer -- I went to look through my row of blazers ('twas curious to see how many I had compared to DAR), and found a rayon piece I'd bought in January and mentioned here, then completely forgot about until just now: an odd garment that is cut like a long, narrow (and kinda "slouchy") jacket/blazer, but has buttons all up the front like a shirt. Which I can wear outside over sleeveless or short-sleeve tops on the worst hot sunny days. Yay!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote:
23 May 2020, 16:10
... based on my thrift-store experiences it seems that, while nice rayon or rayon-blend pants and blazers in my size are fairly common, nice long-sleeved rayon button-front shirts of ANY size are surprisingly difficult to find (I'm willing to go too-large for casual-wear purposes, especially for outdoor events on super-sunny days, when I actually prefer a shirt with too-long sleeves, to keep my hands covered from the sun)...
Not that anyone but me gives the SLIGHTEST semblance of a shit here, but it's a quarantine Saturday night and I got time on my hands ... yikes, I totally misremembered the fairly frequent blazer/jacket purchases I made, during the last autumn/winter before lockdown. I just went though and organized my collection of blazers -- loosely defined as "a jacket which, if I wear it over a solid-color shirt plus black pants or skirt, transforms the outfit into something job-interview-suitable" -- I have ONE black rayon blazer, which came with a polyester lining (only against the back, fortunately) that I cut out. And I have that one rayon shirt/blazer hybrid which would be wholly unsuitable for professional situations, though great for various social ones. And one light black/dark gray blazer made of a linen-cotton blend, with the cotton less than 50 percent of the fabric. That's ALL, for deep-summer blazer or jacket-equivalents. What I actually bought in abundance last winter are (mostly thin) wool blazers with rayon linings, which will be great for the damp-and-chilly part of the year but completely unsuitable for summer.

While organizing the blazers I also found a few more skirts (summer and winter both) that were hanging on the blazer rack for some reason.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Back in Connecticut, when I still thought rayon equivalent to polyester in terms on unwearability in almost all types of weather, I bought a couple of can't-resist shimmery-velvet jackets and a thick black velvet narrow-slouchy coat which IIRC I only wore places I knew would be strictly climate controlled -- come to discover they're made of rayon or viscose. (For my latest quarantine-organization project, I've been going through all of my clothes, already separated by season, type [tops v. bottoms; pants v. skirts], style [high v. low necklines], etc. .... and now separating them by fabric.)

I really, really wish I had known this during my earlier Atlanta years, when I'd be trying to find something nice to wear to events on hot humid nights, but for reasons which seemed obvious at the time, I didn't even consider looking through my collection of velvet jackets and unbuttoned overshirt/jacket equivalents to see if any of them were suitable. Now, I could get all dressed up, but I have no place to go.