Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 11 Feb 2019, 22:02

I probably can't wear this headwrap anyway because cultural appropriation, but it is, as the kids say, goals.

"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Feb 2019, 00:27

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Feb 2019, 00:32

Oooh! That's very encouraging -- thank you!
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Feb 2019, 00:35

nicole wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 00:27
Actually!

https://thewrap.life/pages/appropriation
Bill S. wrote:“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.”
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Feb 2019, 14:28

nicole wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 00:27
Actually!

https://thewrap.life/pages/appropriation
Ahaha we want sell more stuff and put this disclaimer on but good luck having that save you on twitter.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 12 Feb 2019, 18:23

Ellie wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 00:32
Oooh! That's very encouraging -- thank you!
There are lots of modern Orthodox women who cover their hair and get very creative with head wraps. Then when someone drags you on Twitter, you can accuse them on being anti-Semitic! Because that also always works out well.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Feb 2019, 18:38

If my face and head were the right shape to pull that look off (they're not), I'd love to have, and know how to wear, a couple of headwraps for either bad hair days or "can't be bothered with my hair" days. Though I'd play it safe and avoid African-themed patterns (which generally come in colors that clash with my complexion anyway, so it's not like that would require any sacrifice on my part).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Feb 2019, 23:06

Ever since clicking on a certain link, I am now seeing "Wrap Life" ads on every website I visit. [Glares at Nicole]
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Feb 2019, 23:32

Jadagul wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 05:34

(When I was at Cambridge, basically everyone had a college scarf, which got worn everywhere. The ones in the store were stiff and scratchy, but the students who'd had them for a few years had lovely soft ones).
Yep. I got such a scarf (made in Cambridge, in fact) many years ago as a gift but the damned thing was unbearable for the first several winters I had it and thus rarely used. There isn't much call for wool scarves in Texas, so it hasn't gotten much use in recent years, which is a bit of a shame because it was just starting to get broken in.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Mar 2019, 17:21

Quick fabric question for those in the know: is nylon equivalent to rayon in terms of reluctance to hoard humidity? I have almost completed the mammoth task of expunging ALL cotton garments out of my warm-weather [eight farking months out of every twelve] wardrobe and replacing them with fibers that stay relatively dry; all that remains is replacing ALL of my socks and undergarments, which of course is where my frugalness superpowers fail me because I will NOT buy such things secondhand. So I've been buying some rayon items, and am seeing good deals on moderately attractive nylon equivalents .. but I don't know if nylon is "safe" for such conditions. My impulse is to say "Hell no," but that's because I'm associating them with "nylons," a.k.a. "pantyhose" which are absolutely NOT humid-appropriate. (Hell, until IIRC Nicole set me straight, I used to think rayon was off-limits because it's an artificial fiber.) Would nylon undergarments be suitable for my humidity-reduction plans?

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Mar 2019, 11:15

Jennifer wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 17:21
Quick fabric question for those in the know: is nylon equivalent to rayon in terms of reluctance to hoard humidity? I have almost completed the mammoth task of expunging ALL cotton garments out of my warm-weather [eight farking months out of every twelve] wardrobe and replacing them with fibers that stay relatively dry; all that remains is replacing ALL of my socks and undergarments, which of course is where my frugalness superpowers fail me because I will NOT buy such things secondhand. So I've been buying some rayon items, and am seeing good deals on moderately attractive nylon equivalents .. but I don't know if nylon is "safe" for such conditions. My impulse is to say "Hell no," but that's because I'm associating them with "nylons," a.k.a. "pantyhose" which are absolutely NOT humid-appropriate. (Hell, until IIRC Nicole set me straight, I used to think rayon was off-limits because it's an artificial fiber.) Would nylon undergarments be suitable for my humidity-reduction plans?
Sorry I missed this...I would think it would not be as good because nylon is actually made from polymers, from my understanding. But I'm sure there are high-quality versions/blends that would have good properties for this.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Mar 2019, 11:16

Can someone fucking explain to me what the point is of a lace overlay on a bra? E.g., the stuff Thirdlove sells.

WHY IS THIS A THING, WHY WOULD YOU JUST PUT LACE ON TOP OF AN OPAQUE FABRIC LIKE THIS, THIS ISN'T A WEDDING DRESS IT IS A BRA

https://www.thirdlove.com/products/24-7 ... tte-bra-13

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Mar 2019, 14:42

nicole wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 11:16
Can someone fucking explain to me what the point is of a lace overlay on a bra?
Pfft, I've been wondering that all my life. I'm guessing it's related to the unnecessary and downright ugly tiny-bows or tiny-flowers used to decorate/mar the majority of women's underwear: tiny "you could fit four of these on a dime" flower in the front center of the underpants, tinier "you could fit four on a dime and have room left over" bow between the cups of a bra (which itself may or may not be covered with equally unnecessary lace).... pffffft. [/Middle finger]

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Mar 2019, 16:44

Obvs I have zero first hand experience but I've always assumed that the lace fringe around the edges was to diminish the for want of a better word panty line along the edge of the cup, but I can only guess that the lace overlay over the cup itself is to ensure that no one mistakes it for menswear, which is of course a serious problem in today's society.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Mar 2019, 17:21

Well they do make totally plain ones. I’m just like, if I want lace, it’s to be see-through.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Mar 2019, 22:40

Knowing that sufficiently thin rayon is acceptable to wear in very humid conditions has made a WORLD of difference to my ability to put together an environmentally appropriate wardrobe, and for that bit of knowledge IIRC I have Nicole to thank. Today I bought my first-ever pair of "Atlanta summer pants" attractive and flattering enough that I likely would've bought them even had I found them in New England! (If anyone is looking for hot-n-humid clothes but disdains thrift stores, a LOT of my "nice" pieces, including the pants I bought today, have the "White House Black Market" label--though so have many pieces I remember finding and rejecting because they were made of polyester. IOW, YMMV.)