Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Rachel

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Rachel » 10 Sep 2018, 19:37

Jennifer wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 16:48
Apropos of nothing, the other day when I used a mirror to look at the back of my head (to ensure that my ponytail-barrette wasn't crooked), I realized the end of said ponytail was looking really shaggy: instead of being a more-or-less straight line, it made me think of stalactites hanging from a cavern roof. I wondered how long it had been since I last trimmed the ends, and realized the answer was "The day of Kolohe's wedding." Which IIRC was over 2.5 years ago. So after my shower, when my wet combed-out hair was as straight as it ever gets, I trimmed the ends. Unfortunately I cut a little too much -- I remembered to account for the length differential between wet hair and dry, but forgot that, all else being equal, the shorter my hair is, the wavier/curlier it gets (because it doesn't have its own weight pulling out the curls). And the wavier/curlier the hair gets, the shorter it looks compared to hair that's straightened out. So as of today, my loose hair when dry only goes down to about bra-strap level on my back. Which is not "short" hair by any reasonable description, but is a HELL of a lot shorter than I am used to seeing on me. I do not like it, and am very annoyed with myself over this.
I did this to myself last time I cut my hair - forgot to account for the fact that my hair gets wavier/curlier when it gets shorter. My hair never gets quite as long as yours, but I have had it very long the past few years. It's been 4 months and the only time I've really been happy with it is when it's super humid and it goes VERY curly.

I flatiron my hair when I have job interviews and it looks fine, but I would never make that an everyday thing. My hair has thinned out enough as it is since I started taking Wellbutrin a couple years ago.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2018, 20:20

Rachel wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 19:37
Jennifer wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 16:48
Apropos of nothing, the other day when I used a mirror to look at the back of my head (to ensure that my ponytail-barrette wasn't crooked), I realized the end of said ponytail was looking really shaggy: instead of being a more-or-less straight line, it made me think of stalactites hanging from a cavern roof. I wondered how long it had been since I last trimmed the ends, and realized the answer was "The day of Kolohe's wedding." Which IIRC was over 2.5 years ago. So after my shower, when my wet combed-out hair was as straight as it ever gets, I trimmed the ends. Unfortunately I cut a little too much -- I remembered to account for the length differential between wet hair and dry, but forgot that, all else being equal, the shorter my hair is, the wavier/curlier it gets (because it doesn't have its own weight pulling out the curls). And the wavier/curlier the hair gets, the shorter it looks compared to hair that's straightened out. So as of today, my loose hair when dry only goes down to about bra-strap level on my back. Which is not "short" hair by any reasonable description, but is a HELL of a lot shorter than I am used to seeing on me. I do not like it, and am very annoyed with myself over this.
I did this to myself last time I cut my hair - forgot to account for the fact that my hair gets wavier/curlier when it gets shorter. My hair never gets quite as long as yours, but I have had it very long the past few years. It's been 4 months and the only time I've really been happy with it is when it's super humid and it goes VERY curly.
Oddly, my hair does the exact opposite in extreme [Georgia-level] humidity: instead of getting curlier, it actually straightens out, but not smoothly; it gets horribly frizzy, almost as though it were charged with static electricity. Or, what I imagine hair would look like if it were very badly damaged by overuse of both heated metal styling tools and very drying hairsprays or mousses.

That said: my now-shorter hair does look a LOT thicker than it did. I wish it were possible for my hair to maintain this consistent level of thickness while being as long as its longest locks were before I cut it, but I don't think it can: even scalp hair has a preset genetic maximum length before it stops growing, then falls out to make room for a new strand; after all this time with long hair, I seriously think that for most of the hair on my scalp, its maximum "curly-dry" length in back is an inch or two higher than waist-level, but there are three to five dime-sized patches of scalp whose hair grows much longer, considerably past my waist, resulting in that "stalactite" effect. (Curly or wavy stalactites, but still.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Oct 2018, 13:03

Pregnancy is SO glamorous. I ordered some sweatpants from Wal-Mart because nothing else comfy fits. I got the extended size to make sure they'd last through the rest of the pregnancy. Wal-Mart helpfully sends me shipping updates about every five minutes, each one with the subject line: "Information on your order of Big Men's Elastic ..." like YES I GET IT MY PANTS ARE MORE ROOMY THAN THE WINCHESTER MYSTERY HOUSE
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Oct 2018, 15:12

Possibly a dispatch from Captain Obvious, but: have you looked at the thrift stores in your area? Almost every such store I've ever seen has a huge (pun unintended) selection of maternity clothes, no doubt because there's always a steady supply of women who recently outgrew -- uh, undergrew? -- them, and are discarding them because they need the closet space.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Oct 2018, 16:27

The giant pants arrived and they are TOO FUCKING TIGHT jfc

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Oct 2018, 16:34

Jennifer wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 15:12
Possibly a dispatch from Captain Obvious, but: have you looked at the thrift stores in your area? Almost every such store I've ever seen has a huge (pun unintended) selection of maternity clothes, no doubt because there's always a steady supply of women who recently outgrew -- uh, undergrew? -- them, and are discarding them because they need the closet space.
But that involves leaving the house, ugghhhhh

Also at this point I am 99% sure I am the fattest pregnant person in history (I am actually bigger at this moment than when I delivered the twins, and I am not even in the second trimester)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Oct 2018, 17:10

Ellie wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 16:34
Jennifer wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 15:12
But that involves leaving the house, ugghhhhh

Also at this point I am 99% sure I am the fattest pregnant person in history (I am actually bigger at this moment than when I delivered the twins, and I am not even in the second trimester)
I do not know what the thrift store offerings are like in your area (except I'm pretty confident in predicting there's at least one such store that is completely gross and would make me think "Huh, this must be what people who are disgusted by the very thought of thrift shopping think ALL thrift shops are like"--if that's the first store you visit, don't let it turn you off from trying others) but -- seriously, you're missing out on a LOT of great deals, regarding clothes, books and furnishings. Especially if you have kids who are still in the "outgrow their old clothes and need all new ones every few months or so" phase of life. It is not THAT unusual for me to see clothes still with their original retail price tags on them, especially where baby and young children's clothes are concerned (my guess is that those were originally given as gifts to parents who either did not want them, or already had so many they couldn't get around to using them before said kid outgrew them).

A cursory Google search for "[your city and state] thrift stores," sans quotation marks, brought up a veritable embarrassment of riches, including one article claiming to list the ten best ones in your city. Which naturally implies there's a hell of a lot more than ten offerings just within your city limits alone. Plus, "best" thrift stores is subjective -- for me, a "good" store is one where I make lots of good scores, and a "bad" one is where I don't. But there's one certain thrift shop around here which I personally think sucks -- in that I have NEVER ONCE found anything good for myself there -- whereas Jeff loves it because he pretty much always finds at least one good-quality garment in his size for a very good price.

Plus, maybe you could also find some good deals on furniture pieces that'll help solve some of your complaints a la "I REALLY don't like how my house is furnished and arranged right now." If you find the "good" shops in your area and get used to patronizing them, you can make your money stretch a HELL of a lot further than it currently does. People who don't know me well enough to know my frugal habits think I'm either far richer than I am -- or in shitloads of debt, or with zero money in the bank -- because they assume I pay regular retail prices for the originally-expensive clothes and home decorations and similar things I have. Whereas I am more than happy to inform them "Nope, this pure-linen or -silk outfit with the designer labels on it cost me less than what Walmart asks for a plain T-shirt, and that entire shelf of hardcover books with dust jackets cost me less than what ONE such book costs new." (Yes, I sound like a missionary zealot here, because anyone who knows the Good News naturally feels compelled to share it.)

The only things I refuse to buy secondhand are socks, shoes, underthings and bathing suits. And if I had kids, or were otherwise in the market for "safety" gear (bike helmets, car seats, etc.) I would refuse to buy those for safety reasons -- you can't know their history, and whether they already sustained damage that is invisible to the naked eye, but makes those items useless for their intended purpose. (Helmets are essentially single-use items -- meaning they are designed to absorb and dissipate the impact of ONE crash, after which they are useless, even if they LOOK perfectly fine.) But otherwise, seriously, you can get a heck of a lot more (and nicer) stuff for a hell of a lot less money, if you shop secondhand.

Regarding your fear that you wouldn't be able to find maternity clothes that fit because you're bigger than the average pregnant woman -- well, I don't personally know about maternity sizes, yet I still suspect you're being too quick to discard the possibility that the local thrifts will have good stuff for you. Especially since, IIRC, YOU were the one who first mentioned the existence of hemming tape, or whatever it is that people without sewing skills can use to hem garments? IOW, even if the local thrifts have a paltry selection of maternity clothes that would fit you as is, I wouldn't be surprised at ALL if they have pants, skirts or dresses that fit you around the belly, but might be too long in the hem. Except you know how to fix that with relative ease.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 11 Oct 2018, 23:33

I saw a girl with these on the other day.
I can't decide, genius or abomination?
Bootwedge.PNG
Bootwedge.PNG (242.45 KiB) Viewed 485 times

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Oct 2018, 00:27

Painboy wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 23:33
I saw a girl with these on the other day.
I can't decide, genius or abomination?

Bootwedge.PNG
The latter. If you wear shoes that look like that, you do it for comfort. If you wear high heels, you do it for fashion. Those combine the worst of both worlds: the ugliness of a comfortable shoe with the pain of a fashionable one.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Oct 2018, 00:42

I'm kinda digging it :oops: I assume it's me being a bad lesbian again :lol:

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 12 Oct 2018, 05:29

I'm...confused. Aren't those pretty normal shoes?

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Oct 2018, 06:35

Jadagul wrote:I'm...confused. Aren't those pretty normal shoes?
They’re high heeled
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 12 Oct 2018, 06:46

Mo wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 06:35
Jadagul wrote:I'm...confused. Aren't those pretty normal shoes?
They’re high heeled

Yes, I know. But that's...pretty normal? Like, these are a bit more hiking-boots-ish and less dress-boots-ish than the ones I've seen, but those seem like normal shoes I'd expect people to wear in a trendy going-out outfit.

Like, I'd see things like these all the time: https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/madde ... tie/397753

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Oct 2018, 08:04

Yeah, wedges are in right now so I see a lot of that kind of shoe too.

Wedges being in makes me want to stab people (with the heel of a real shoe).
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Oct 2018, 09:09

It’s not so much the wedginess in itself as the carthartt wedge couture vibe

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Oct 2018, 10:57

High heel boots have been a thing for a long long time. May of us cis guys find them hot. This thing draws upon the look of a hiking boot but is otherwise unremarkable. I wouldn't say it's genius, but it's in no way an abomination, unless you want to throw all high heeled boots under the bus with it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 12 Oct 2018, 11:01

JasonL wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 09:09
This was more my thing. It's like if Paris Hilton was invited to a Monster Truck rally and wore these to "blend in."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Oct 2018, 11:14

Painboy wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 11:01
JasonL wrote:
This was more my thing. It's like if Paris Hilton was invited to a Monster Truck rally and wore these to "blend in."
Yep. It's crossing streams that should not be crossed.

I'm still digging it though :oops:

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Oct 2018, 11:22

Ellie wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 11:14
Painboy wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 11:01
JasonL wrote:
Yep. It's crossing streams that should not be crossed.

I'm still digging it though :oops:
I don't see why they shouldn't be crossed. I think Painboy is spot on. And while, if I had to characterize my feelings towards Paris Hilton I'd say they lay on the contempt side of apathy, I believe there is a plurality of peoples that find her fashionable.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Oct 2018, 11:54

JasonL wrote:
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Oct 2018, 09:15

Warren wrote:High heel boots have been a thing for a long long time. May of us cis guys find them hot. This thing draws upon the look of a hiking boot but is otherwise unremarkable. I wouldn't say it's genius, but it's in no way an abomination, unless you want to throw all high heeled boots under the bus with it.
High heel black leather boots = hot
High wedge heel work boots = not
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Oct 2018, 16:43

I'm wearing jeans and a sweatshirt today.

October 20, and FINALLY I can wear jeans and a sweatshirt (as opposed to hyper-lightweight linen clothes) with no fear of heatstroke or sweat-induced dehydration. Woo hoo!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Oct 2018, 17:13

I bought fake fingernails for a Halloween party tonight. "Real" fake fingernails from a beauty supply store, as opposed to Halloween-costume fake fingernails.

In retrospect, I really should have done my hair and makeup before putting ridiculously long fake nails on my hands.

Christ, these things are hideous.

This post was produced via single-finger hunt-and-peck typing.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Oct 2018, 02:16

Apparently everyone at the party thought my tattoo sleeves and ridiculously long fingernails were real, until I told them otherwise (except for the one guy who figured out the tattoos were fake because he noticed the fabric bunching at one elbow).

I honestly don't know if you should be flattered or insulted, when nobody knows your Halloween costume is a Halloween costume.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Oct 2018, 18:20

General public-service announcement: if ever you are tempted to wear fake fingernails (at least the DIY kind; I have no idea if going to an actual salon for such things is different), DON'T. The glue provided to attach said nails seems remarkably resistant to acetone (nail polish remover); when I got home last night (early this morning) I "only" had to soak my fingertips in acetone for a minute or two before the fake nails worked themselves loose, but now my natural nails are covered with patches of shiny discolored glue. After the fakes came off last night I spent another 10-15 minutes using acetone-soaked Q-tips to try cleaning my nails, before finally giving up.

Just now tried again, and I THINK there's been some progress, but still, it looks like my nails are covered with patches of shiny and slightly iridescent fungus. (Apparently some of the color from the fake nails blended with the glue somehow.)