Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Rachel

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Rachel » 10 Sep 2018, 19:37

Jennifer wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 16:48
Apropos of nothing, the other day when I used a mirror to look at the back of my head (to ensure that my ponytail-barrette wasn't crooked), I realized the end of said ponytail was looking really shaggy: instead of being a more-or-less straight line, it made me think of stalactites hanging from a cavern roof. I wondered how long it had been since I last trimmed the ends, and realized the answer was "The day of Kolohe's wedding." Which IIRC was over 2.5 years ago. So after my shower, when my wet combed-out hair was as straight as it ever gets, I trimmed the ends. Unfortunately I cut a little too much -- I remembered to account for the length differential between wet hair and dry, but forgot that, all else being equal, the shorter my hair is, the wavier/curlier it gets (because it doesn't have its own weight pulling out the curls). And the wavier/curlier the hair gets, the shorter it looks compared to hair that's straightened out. So as of today, my loose hair when dry only goes down to about bra-strap level on my back. Which is not "short" hair by any reasonable description, but is a HELL of a lot shorter than I am used to seeing on me. I do not like it, and am very annoyed with myself over this.
I did this to myself last time I cut my hair - forgot to account for the fact that my hair gets wavier/curlier when it gets shorter. My hair never gets quite as long as yours, but I have had it very long the past few years. It's been 4 months and the only time I've really been happy with it is when it's super humid and it goes VERY curly.

I flatiron my hair when I have job interviews and it looks fine, but I would never make that an everyday thing. My hair has thinned out enough as it is since I started taking Wellbutrin a couple years ago.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Jennifer

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2018, 20:20

Rachel wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 19:37
Jennifer wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 16:48
Apropos of nothing, the other day when I used a mirror to look at the back of my head (to ensure that my ponytail-barrette wasn't crooked), I realized the end of said ponytail was looking really shaggy: instead of being a more-or-less straight line, it made me think of stalactites hanging from a cavern roof. I wondered how long it had been since I last trimmed the ends, and realized the answer was "The day of Kolohe's wedding." Which IIRC was over 2.5 years ago. So after my shower, when my wet combed-out hair was as straight as it ever gets, I trimmed the ends. Unfortunately I cut a little too much -- I remembered to account for the length differential between wet hair and dry, but forgot that, all else being equal, the shorter my hair is, the wavier/curlier it gets (because it doesn't have its own weight pulling out the curls). And the wavier/curlier the hair gets, the shorter it looks compared to hair that's straightened out. So as of today, my loose hair when dry only goes down to about bra-strap level on my back. Which is not "short" hair by any reasonable description, but is a HELL of a lot shorter than I am used to seeing on me. I do not like it, and am very annoyed with myself over this.
I did this to myself last time I cut my hair - forgot to account for the fact that my hair gets wavier/curlier when it gets shorter. My hair never gets quite as long as yours, but I have had it very long the past few years. It's been 4 months and the only time I've really been happy with it is when it's super humid and it goes VERY curly.
Oddly, my hair does the exact opposite in extreme [Georgia-level] humidity: instead of getting curlier, it actually straightens out, but not smoothly; it gets horribly frizzy, almost as though it were charged with static electricity. Or, what I imagine hair would look like if it were very badly damaged by overuse of both heated metal styling tools and very drying hairsprays or mousses.

That said: my now-shorter hair does look a LOT thicker than it did. I wish it were possible for my hair to maintain this consistent level of thickness while being as long as its longest locks were before I cut it, but I don't think it can: even scalp hair has a preset genetic maximum length before it stops growing, then falls out to make room for a new strand; after all this time with long hair, I seriously think that for most of the hair on my scalp, its maximum "curly-dry" length in back is an inch or two higher than waist-level, but there are three to five dime-sized patches of scalp whose hair grows much longer, considerably past my waist, resulting in that "stalactite" effect. (Curly or wavy stalactites, but still.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b