Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by JasonL » 19 May 2018, 16:48

My wife texted me from mall of America a series of increasingly frustrated shopping anecdotes. They eventually got so bad I suggested she go back to the hotel and sign up for Stitch Fix or similar immediately. She’s the best use case they could ever hope for.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 May 2018, 21:53

AUGH! Mrs JasonL was in my neck of the woods? I would have met her for a drink or something!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 May 2018, 21:55

Depending on her style/price/level of fanciness, she might want to look at MM Lafleur bento box. Their shit is so pretty.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 May 2018, 22:30

Will check thanks!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 May 2018, 18:30

I hate the cold-shoulder trend and it seems to be getting MORE popular lately. Nooooooooo

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 May 2018, 09:39

It’s just such an obvious fashion mistake. Those tops are going to be worthless in a year and everyone will be embarrassed about the Facebook pics.

Also seriously they look terrible on almost everyone.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 May 2018, 09:54

I hate them. I don't understand what they are supposed to be doing. When people talk about nice shoulders, a window that shows your humeral head framed by fabric is not what they are talking about.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 21 May 2018, 19:53

I hate the cold shoulder trend. It's been around for awhile now and it's just so wrong. Especially when combined with bell sleeves.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 May 2018, 21:48

I had to google, because my mind brought up some really dumb ideas and I didn't think it could really be a Thing.

It's a thing, and it's mostly as dumb as I thought.

The ones that are spaghetti-strap-with-off-the-shoulder-sleeve thingies are... fine, I guess. A bit 70s but okay. The ones that are just normal shirts but with a chunk clipped out of the shoulder are just dumb.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 May 2018, 21:54

I'm in a bunch of sewing groups on Facebook and I cannot BELIEVE how many posts are "I made the [blah blah shirt] and hacked the pattern to give it a cold shoulder!" You did EXTRA WORK ON PURPOSE for that look that will not get any more current or sensible or flattering. why. whyyyyy.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 May 2018, 14:58

TIL that a certain silk broomstick skirt I've owned since I lived in Connecticut is not a broomstick skirt after all; it was just really really wrinkled all this time. (I discovered this because nowadays, pretty much every hot-weather shirt I wear is made of either linen or very thin silk, fabrics which wrinkle if you so much as look at them funny. To avoid having to buy and use a clothes iron, I make a point of taking wrinkle-able clothes out and putting them on hangers IMMEDIATELY after the dryer stops -- and THAT is when and how I learned the wrinkles in that skirt are not, in fact, inherent to its construction.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Jun 2018, 21:31

If ever I get hold of the fashion designer/clothing manufacturer who makes 100% linen garments and gives them 100% polyester linings, so help me Zod I'll set aside my usual non-violent principles long enough to THROTTLE that son of a bitch.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 03 Jun 2018, 13:44

I cut my hair. It had to be done, because it was full of split ends, but I went too short (for me. it's still pretty long) so there's not enough weight too it, and it requires work!

Also I'm old now, and need glasses. I picked out pairs of frames, because I actually have vision insurance. 10 years ago I would have thought glasses made me look cute. Now I'm worried they'll make me look old - and I'm going to have to start job interviewing soon because there is talk of layoffs at work, and looking old on job interviews is bad.

In good fashion news, Old Navy is sucking this year on the summer dress front, but Amazon is surprisingly killing it. (if you know what you want, and are patient)
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jun 2018, 14:07

Rachel wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 13:44
I cut my hair. It had to be done, because it was full of split ends, but I went too short (for me. it's still pretty long) so there's not enough weight too it, and it requires work!

Also I'm old now, and need glasses. I picked out pairs of frames, because I actually have vision insurance. 10 years ago I would have thought glasses made me look cute. Now I'm worried they'll make me look old - and I'm going to have to start job interviewing soon because there is talk of layoffs at work, and looking old on job interviews is bad.

In good fashion news, Old Navy is sucking this year on the summer dress front, but Amazon is surprisingly killing it. (if you know what you want, and are patient)
Bad haircuts are a temporary problem.

I see eyeglasses different than most people. I always think people look better with glasses. The frames are everything. Glasses can make you look older, but not necessarily. Usually people look smarter with glasses, but a set of fun frames can make you look carefree. Having as many eye glasses as say shoes to go with whatever look you're going for may be cost prohibitive. But you should be able to nail "Can Do Professional" with the right frames.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Jun 2018, 12:27

Ugggghhhhh, spending time and money shopping for clothes is SO DUMB. Can't we all just wear togas or something

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Jun 2018, 12:30

Also I saw a top that had one regular shoulder and one cold shoulder and OH MY GOD WHY

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jun 2018, 14:30

Ellie wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 12:27
Ugggghhhhh, spending time and money shopping for clothes is SO DUMB. Can't we all just wear togas or something
Of course we can. You first.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Jun 2018, 15:24

An awful lot of linen pants (and even some skirts) I'm seeing for sale have drawstring tops--not just in secondhand shops, but even checking online for new items. Is this actually a "thing"? On the formal-to-casual spectrum, I'd always assumed drawstring clothes were equivalent to sweatpants -- as in, too casual even for "business casual." Is this an outdated idea?

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Jun 2018, 15:39

Jennifer wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 15:24
An awful lot of linen pants (and even some skirts) I'm seeing for sale have drawstring tops--not just in secondhand shops, but even checking online for new items. Is this actually a "thing"? On the formal-to-casual spectrum, I'd always assumed drawstring clothes were equivalent to sweatpants -- as in, too casual even for "business casual." Is this an outdated idea?
It’s definitely a thing for linen pants. Go for it. I was actually just thinking I need a new pair of these because I saw a woman in them yesterday and haven’t seen my old ones for years.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Jun 2018, 15:54

nicole wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 15:39
Jennifer wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 15:24
It’s definitely a thing for linen pants. Go for it. I was actually just thinking I need a new pair of these because I saw a woman in them yesterday and haven’t seen my old ones for years.
I do already have some pairs of linen drawstring pants and IIRC at least one skirt (where pants as opposed to shirts are concerned, I'm still in the "I'll buy anything that fits, because I have a no-joke shortage of such clothes I can wear without risk of heatstroke" phase), and ONE pair of linen pants I would actually consider "nice," in that the cut and color are flattering to me -- except that said pair of pants has a drawstring top. (But otherwise they look like regular "office casual" pants, complete with the location of the pockets).

So you're saying it WOULD likely be acceptable to wear those pants even to a job interview? With an untucked shirt? (I also have a couple of "nice" linen shirts -- in addition to at least a dozen "too big" or "ugly-on-me color" shirts -- but "shirts must be tucked in" is another one of those "professional dress" ideas I have from my younger days, which I suspect might be out of date. Especially since ANY top looks ridiculous tucked in to a drawstring bottom, IMO.)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Jun 2018, 13:02

omg why

why

why
006-92929-22cu.jpg
006-92929-22cu.jpg (61.52 KiB) Viewed 416 times

Highway

Post by Highway » 26 Jun 2018, 13:54

Ellie wrote:omg why

why

why
006-92929-22cu.jpg
It's when you want the pool floaty look but don't want to have to inflate anything.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 26 Jun 2018, 16:19

It looks like somebody sewed a pair of boxers on her shirt.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Jul 2018, 00:31

Okay, so, if the norm is for there to be drawstrings around the waistbands of linen pants, I can get behind that (especially in super-hot, super-humid climate conditions). But drawstrings around the pant-legs' ankle holes?!* I found a pair today exactly like that. Did not discover this until I was in the dressing room trying the pants on, and couldn't figure out why I couldn't fit my feet through -- yeah, I've tried on a few pants that couldn't fit over my hips, but pants that wouldn't fit over my feet was a new one. (Though once I untied the drawstring everything was fine.)

The strings are long enough that you have to tie them, lest they drag on the ground almost a foot behind you. I'm toying with the idea of just pulling them out altogether, except that would be an irreversible move and I don't know if that might do something weird to the shape of the pants legs.

Three drawstrings on a single garment is a tad excessive, methinks.

*Sudden thought: having drawstring openings for the ankle-holes of long pants might be very useful when hiking in environments where otherwise you'd have to worry about bugs going up your pant legs? Except these pants are of thin (though dark-colored) linen, thin enough that I don't know how useful it would be in the environments I'd just described.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 02 Jul 2018, 20:49

Jennifer wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 00:31
I'm toying with the idea of just pulling them out altogether, except that would be an irreversible move and I don't know if that might do something weird to the shape of the pants legs.
Please allow me to introduce the bodkin:
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie