Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 19 Jan 2018, 19:58

I'm not a fan of the bell-sleeve trend that's everywhere I'm shopping.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jan 2018, 21:45

It took me far, far longer than it should have to stumble upon the concept "If you regularly wear visible accessories in your hair, get them in colors that match or complement your hair color, not your clothes."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Jan 2018, 07:23

Jennifer wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 21:45
It took me far, far longer than it should have to stumble upon the concept "If you regularly wear visible accessories in your hair, get them in colors that match or complement your hair color, not your clothes."
It’s like you learned nothing from Ma Ingalls!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Jan 2018, 15:40

nicole wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 07:23
Jennifer wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 21:45
It’s like you learned nothing from Ma Ingalls!
What I learned from her is that pink or blue are the only acceptable hair-ribbon colors -- a lesson I remain happy to ignore! :)

If I had to pick a theme for 2018 thus far, and my persistent health annoyances were off the table, I'd call it "Captain Obvious improves Jennifer's life." A neat, organized home where you know where everything is, is far more pleasant than a messy clutter pile! You should wear barrettes that look good against your hair, regardless of what your clothes are! Wheeeee!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Jan 2018, 15:56

Shortly after moving to Atlanta, in the middle of summer, I mentioned that I was looking for barrettes at least four inches long (four inches for the actual hair-clip part, NOT the decorative stuff added to the clip), so I could ponytail my hair and have said tail be wide enough that you could still see it even standing directly in front of me. But I was dismayed to discover how very, very rare such barrettes seem to be--Google four-inch barrette or something similar and you'll mostly get stuff like a three-inch clip with a four-inch decorative thingie on it. I did find a couple four-inchers at various local beauty-supply stores for a dollar or two, and I bought them just because I needed something to lift my hair off my neck in the heat, but those 99-cent barrettes were IMO hideously gaudy and ugly, the kind of thing I MIGHT have liked when I was eight years old, but not now. Flowers made of pink or purple glitter, gaudy yellow-gold colored barrette covered with white rhinestones .... blecch.

There is a company called "France Luxe" that makes four-inch clip barrettes (with five-inch decorations), and they are very nice barrettes but horribly expensive -- the cheapest ones I've seen are $18 apiece on Amazon (and also at Nordstrom's which, according to my Googling, seems to be the only brick-and-mortar retailer that regularly sells France Luxe things). But last week I splurged and bought THREE FL barrettes off of Amazon, all in various shades of amber or coppery-brown that complement my hair color VERY nicely.

I feel a tad guilty for such extravagance, especially given my continued lack of employment, but justified it first on the grounds that this could be my Christmas present since Jeff and I didn't bother with gifts last month, and secondly because I DID, no joke, quit smoking, and the cost of those barrettes PLUS my nicotine patches is still considerably less than what I'd've spent on cigarettes during that time.