Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10964
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 13 Nov 2017, 11:14

Speaking of knitting, if I wanted to make myself a sweater, can you recommend a good easy pattern to start?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8696
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by nicole » 13 Nov 2017, 11:38

Ellie wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:14
Speaking of knitting, if I wanted to make myself a sweater, can you recommend a good easy pattern to start?
Sure! The absolute best IMO is "Improv" which is more of a template for a top-down raglan sweater than a pattern per se -- because it's meant to give you a custom fit: https://fringeassociation.com/2016/08/1 ... s-sweater/ I recommend this because (a) if you are willing to spend a few minutes thinking about measurements and plugging in numbers, it's not hard at all and (b) it's soooo worth it to get the custom fit. (The same designer also has a sleeveless template/pattern as well if you're looking for something quicker: https://fringeassociation.com/2017/05/0 ... e-pattern/)

If you want all that work done for you, Brick is a good option: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/brick-2
I haven't knit Flax but it's a super popular first sweater and the TinCanKnits stuff directed at learners is great (and free): https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/flax
They have a popular cardigan in the same collection: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/harvest-10
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10964
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 13 Nov 2017, 12:55

nicole wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:38
Ellie wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:14
Speaking of knitting, if I wanted to make myself a sweater, can you recommend a good easy pattern to start?
Sure! The absolute best IMO is "Improv" which is more of a template for a top-down raglan sweater than a pattern per se -- because it's meant to give you a custom fit: https://fringeassociation.com/2016/08/1 ... s-sweater/ I recommend this because (a) if you are willing to spend a few minutes thinking about measurements and plugging in numbers, it's not hard at all and (b) it's soooo worth it to get the custom fit. (The same designer also has a sleeveless template/pattern as well if you're looking for something quicker: https://fringeassociation.com/2017/05/0 ... e-pattern/)

If you want all that work done for you, Brick is a good option: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/brick-2
I haven't knit Flax but it's a super popular first sweater and the TinCanKnits stuff directed at learners is great (and free): https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/flax
They have a popular cardigan in the same collection: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/harvest-10
Oh, this is awesome, thank you so much!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10964
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 13 Nov 2017, 13:16

Speaking of dresses that I have nowhere to wear, and would never ever pay that much for, yet still desperately want:

http://www.jpeterman.com/item/WDR-5427/ ... olor/BLACK

http://www.jpeterman.com/item/WDR-5143/ ... olor/BLACK
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10964
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 14 Nov 2017, 11:20

I also confess I don't really like the dolman look. Maybe it's comfortable to wear? But to me it just looks like you cut the armholes way too big and then stretched out the torso to make it fit.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10964
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 18 Nov 2017, 23:15

For when you really, really want people to know the exact shape of your butt.
Attachments
Screenshot_20171118-221400.png
Screenshot_20171118-221400.png (492.33 KiB) Viewed 926 times
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Sandy » 19 Nov 2017, 03:22

I approve. I shall be appreciating this trend from my bunk.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10964
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 03 Dec 2017, 22:00

My sister gave me a bag of clothes she was getting rid of, and I went through and tried a bunch of stuff on. I don't think I have the right underwear for these shorts. But I could be wrong.
IMG_20171203_205135.jpg
IMG_20171203_205135.jpg (284.32 KiB) Viewed 887 times
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22063
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Jennifer » 03 Dec 2017, 22:50

I've lived in Atlanta long enough to note the local youth fashions and can confirm: yes, that's definitely the wrong underwear for those shorts. The current style calls for your underwear to stick out at least six inches above the waistband, and it looks like you've barely got three, there.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23800
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Warren » 04 Dec 2017, 10:58

Jennifer wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 22:50
I've lived in Atlanta long enough to note the local youth fashions and can confirm: yes, that's definitely the wrong underwear for those shorts. The current style calls for your underwear to stick out at least six inches above the waistband, and it looks like you've barely got three, there.
Really? Women are doing that? Not just the thong "whale tail" but high waisted underwear under low waist shorts? Kids today amiright?
If they're going to show that much underwear, I predict they'll start wearing men's briefs so they can show fly.
Last edited by Warren on 04 Dec 2017, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10964
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 04 Dec 2017, 11:44

nicole wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 14:19
I'll tell you what I don't understand slash hate is the drop shoulder trend.
Now that you've pointed this out, I can't stop noticing it, and I haaaaaaaate it
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22063
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Jennifer » 04 Dec 2017, 13:18

Warren wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 10:58
Jennifer wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 22:50
I've lived in Atlanta long enough to note the local youth fashions and can confirm: yes, that's definitely the wrong underwear for those shorts. The current style calls for your underwear to stick out at least six inches above the waistband, and it looks like you've barely got three, there.
Really? Women are doing that? Not just the thong "whale tail" but high waisted underwear under low waist shorts? Kids today amiright?
If they're going to show that much underwear, I predict they'll start wearing men's briefs so they can show fly.
In all seriousness, I don't think women are into that look -- at least I don't recall seeing any -- but the "visible underwear" look actually IS still a thing for teenaged boys (and maybe some very young men). Apparently the way to do it is, wear colored boxer shorts (usually of some shimmery satiny material, but spandexy works too) which go as high as your waist, then have your pants pulled up and buckled/belted to just under the crotch -- below the point where your two distinct legs branch out from your torso -- so your entire underwear-covered butt is visible from behind. I honestly don't know how the guys walk in such outfits.

Of course, I'm at the stage where I'm supposed to think teenaged fashions look idiotic, so I try not to roll my eyes too hard. It's the Oval of Life, and all that jazz.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15619
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Dec 2017, 21:36

Jennifer wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 13:18
Warren wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 10:58
Jennifer wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 22:50
I've lived in Atlanta long enough to note the local youth fashions and can confirm: yes, that's definitely the wrong underwear for those shorts. The current style calls for your underwear to stick out at least six inches above the waistband, and it looks like you've barely got three, there.
Really? Women are doing that? Not just the thong "whale tail" but high waisted underwear under low waist shorts? Kids today amiright?
If they're going to show that much underwear, I predict they'll start wearing men's briefs so they can show fly.
In all seriousness, I don't think women are into that look -- at least I don't recall seeing any -- but the "visible underwear" look actually IS still a thing for teenaged boys (and maybe some very young men). Apparently the way to do it is, wear colored boxer shorts (usually of some shimmery satiny material, but spandexy works too) which go as high as your waist, then have your pants pulled up and buckled/belted to just under the crotch -- below the point where your two distinct legs branch out from your torso -- so your entire underwear-covered butt is visible from behind. I honestly don't know how the guys walk in such outfits.

Of course, I'm at the stage where I'm supposed to think teenaged fashions look idiotic, so I try not to roll my eyes too hard. It's the Oval of Life, and all that jazz.
Ummmm... mrs lunch wants to know where you were living that you didn't know about this for the previous decade, because she wants to live there, too.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22063
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Jennifer » 04 Dec 2017, 22:43

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 21:36
Jennifer wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 13:18
Warren wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 10:58
Jennifer wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 22:50
I've lived in Atlanta long enough to note the local youth fashions and can confirm: yes, that's definitely the wrong underwear for those shorts. The current style calls for your underwear to stick out at least six inches above the waistband, and it looks like you've barely got three, there.
Really? Women are doing that? Not just the thong "whale tail" but high waisted underwear under low waist shorts? Kids today amiright?
If they're going to show that much underwear, I predict they'll start wearing men's briefs so they can show fly.
In all seriousness, I don't think women are into that look -- at least I don't recall seeing any -- but the "visible underwear" look actually IS still a thing for teenaged boys (and maybe some very young men). Apparently the way to do it is, wear colored boxer shorts (usually of some shimmery satiny material, but spandexy works too) which go as high as your waist, then have your pants pulled up and buckled/belted to just under the crotch -- below the point where your two distinct legs branch out from your torso -- so your entire underwear-covered butt is visible from behind. I honestly don't know how the guys walk in such outfits.

Of course, I'm at the stage where I'm supposed to think teenaged fashions look idiotic, so I try not to roll my eyes too hard. It's the Oval of Life, and all that jazz.
Ummmm... mrs lunch wants to know where you were living that you didn't know about this for the previous decade, because she wants to live there, too.
I knew it was the style a decade ago; I had no idea it was still the style now.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23800
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Warren » 04 Dec 2017, 22:55

It's frickin Hick style now. My unemployed dropout neighbor I paid to help me with the front walk wore his pants that way.
Willie.jpg
Willie.jpg (59.73 KiB) Viewed 802 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10964
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 04 Dec 2017, 23:13

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 21:36
Ummmm... mrs lunch wants to know where you were living that you didn't know about this for the previous decade, because she wants to live there, too.
I even read about somebody making boxers with a back pocket for your wallet, for guys who wear their jeans so low it's hard to reach the pants pocket.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22565
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Mo » 04 Dec 2017, 23:25

For some reason, when I was in college, I had a pair of boxers with pockets. It was actually super amazing for traveling with weed. I could keep a baggie in the pocket in my boxers and still empty out my pockets. I miss pre 9-11 security.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8696
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by nicole » 13 Dec 2017, 15:33

Trying out the ThirdLove bra. It fit, or at least I think it fit. The quality is Victoria's Secret level (as of 10 years ago, at least, I don't know what it's like now). It's not exactly cute, although that's not news, but I hadn't really realized how full-coverage it would be (this is why they always show them with small-breasted models) and I'm never crazy about full coverage, it's just not as flattering. But it seems fine. I feel like "this is fine" but not at all wowed. It is comfortable but then I so rarely think bras are uncomfortable.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22063
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Jennifer » 13 Dec 2017, 15:36

The quality is Victoria's Secret level
Do you mean this as a good thing or a bad thing? I freaking hate VS bras, and haven't even tried using any since (IIRC) the last millennium; the shoulder straps were always waaaaaaay too big. Like the bras were designed by someone who had no IDEA what a normal woman's proportions were like, but assumed a typical boob was far, far lower on the chest than it actually is. NO woman has that ratio of boob location to shoulder height.

IIRC, Smacky disdained VS bras too, and for the same reason.
Last edited by Jennifer on 13 Dec 2017, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8696
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by nicole » 13 Dec 2017, 16:09

Jennifer wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 15:36
The quality is Victoria's Secret level
Do you mean this as a good thing or a bad thing? I freaking hate VS bras, and haven't even tried using any since (IIRC) the last millennium; the shoulder straps were always waaaaaaay too big. Like the bras were designed by someone who had no IDEA what a normal woman's proportions were like, but assumed a typical boob was far, far lower on the chest than it actually is.

IIRC, Smacky hated VS bras too, and for the same reason.
Well, whether it's good or bad would depend on how nice you like your bras. I'm just talking about the quality of the fabric and stitching and stuff like that.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8696
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by nicole » 03 Jan 2018, 13:48

Internet clothing updates:

So, the FirstLove bra, I have to say, is comfortable and looks really good under clothes. I'm not sure if I would buy another...but it's possible.

I also just got jeans from Mott & Bow and I mean I've only just tried them on but things are looking pretty good so far.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10964
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Ellie » 08 Jan 2018, 13:59

I finally weaned the twins and since then my boobs have just DEFLATED. Like, sad empty hanging sacks. (the joys of motherhood) My silhouette in the mirror is so flat-chested, it's really weirding me out. Off to buy a mega padded bra!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8696
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by nicole » 08 Jan 2018, 14:10

Spring for the ThirdLove! It looks so good under clothes.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1410
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Kwix » 08 Jan 2018, 22:39

The Mrs. sprung for Thirdlove. Ended up sending it back. The sizing was completely wrong. What was tagged as a 42C, her normal size to boot, was more like a 42DD. That discrepancy from the norm may have been a manufacturing mistake but if so a pretty serious one.

Personal issue was the less than clear explanation of what "You have 30 days to wear it around the house, wear it to work, wear it everywhere you go!" meant. It means you better be sure you have the 100% right size before pulling tags and tossing it in the wash. Otherwise you have two options, exchange and be charged for a bra or return it with no exchange and no future business with the company.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12764
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Highway » 08 Jan 2018, 22:54

Yeah, my wife tried a couple from ThirdLove, and sent both back immediately. I didn't enquire as to what the issues were, but they did not fit, and it was too much of a hassle trying to get returns / different sizes.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests