Powerful Mice in Space (The New Star Wars Gripe Thread)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Powerful Mice in Space (The New Star Wars Gripe Thread)

Post by JasonL »

It was super meh though at least it looked pretty good throughout visually. That alone puts it above all of the prequels.

1) Empire
2) Rogue One
3) New Hope
4) Solo
5) Force Awakens
6) Rise of Skywalker
7) Last Jedi
8) Return of the Jedi
9) Revenge of the Sith
10) Phantom Menace
11) Attack of the Clones

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Finally saw it, it was ok, all of this generations actors collectively are better than each previous generation's actors collectively, the cohesiveness of the three movies of this era was shit, but that only mattered in that this generation's bad guys were terrible because there was no thru line with any of them except for Ren/Solo. (Well Palapatine has been who he always was, which is sorta the problem too.)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

thoreau wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 00:08
I agree with Robby Soave:

My contrary opinion is that I wish they would have made a tiny but clear opening on the evil that still exists. Because *that's* a powerful theme - evil can't really be defeated in its totality, merely subdued for a time. (See also, the Lord of the Rings)

If I do have a nitpick with the ending, Luke and Leia appearing to Rey, and Rey honoring them, *really* does a disservice to her own biological parents who sacrificed their own lives to try to keep her safe.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

https://youtu.be/lGxP9XU0pNA

Not a gripe, this is good

Also here on twitter

Last edited by Kolohe on 24 Jan 2020, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 22:47
We're using the new cover sheet now. There was a memo.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Thought this was neat. The Mandolorian used a new kind of digital stage. They had huge screens with LED projectors behind them that displayed ultra high resolution computer generated background images in real time. They were also hooked up to the camera movement so they would create proper parallax when the camera moved around.

https://geektyrant.com/news/awesome-set ... -utilized

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Season 1 of the Mandalorian was okay. It had its moments, but the pacing and characterization were kind of flat throughout, but I guess that's to be expected when most of your cast is either CGI, covered by masks, or spent the first phase of their careers absorbing brain injuries. But at the very least they got the feel of the universe right and struck the proper balance between storytelling and fanservice.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Shem

Post by Shem »

"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

thoreau wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 16:47
On the plus side, Lando!

On the minus side, Palpatine? Seriously?
We finally got around to watching the movie tonight, and obviously with the rioting I'm in a poor mood to begin with, but all this is pretty much my whole opinion so far. (We're not quite finished but I'm taking a break to settle the baby.) This movie is just, bleh, not feeling it. I love the new little droid, though!
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

It sucks, ellie. Just say it sucks. Because it does.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I was trying to stay open minded about it to avoid being a wet blanket because I figured David would enjoy it -- he loved TLJ -- but this one lost him early on with "lightspeed skipping" (nerrrrd).

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Wait. Lightspeed skipping is where he draws the line? Smh.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Right?????

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
31 May 2020, 08:53
Wait. Lightspeed skipping is where he draws the line? Smh.
Not so much the skipping, the light speed double dutch.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

RoS soured me on the whole trilogy. TFA was flawed but fine. I liked where they were going on TLJ. But RoS was like, is this really the best you can do guys?
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote:
31 May 2020, 13:05
RoS soured me on the whole trilogy. TFA was flawed but fine. I liked where they were going on TLJ. But RoS was like, is this really the best you can do guys?
Yeah the flaws in TFA were that it was a little derivative, but it was fun popcorn. The flaws in TLJ were some incoherent plot elements but thematically it was stronger than I first gave it credit for. Also the longer it sits with me the more I love the line, "Real page-tuner it was, hmmm?" RoS was just... I mean the galactic scavenger hunt was kind of a fun trope for the first half of the movie. But jesus the ending. If they'd called it "Rise of Palpatine" rather than "Skywalker" I'd have found it more satisfying. Otherwise it's a worse attempt to shoehorn a plot to a name than having Snape say, "That's right. IIIIII am the Half-Blood Prince!"
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Shem

Post by Shem »

Not sure how I'd feel about this.
Getting back to the rumor, Doomcock says that plans are in place to save the Star Wars franchise which involves the Abrams and Rian Johnson trilogy getting nullified.

It's claimed the Disney Star Wars Trilogy will be erased using a concept that was recently made canon in the Star Wars Rebels animated series.

"In the Season 4 episode 13 installment titled 'A World Between Worlds,' the concept of the Veil of The Force was introduced, a mystical dimension of The Force that connects all time and space," explains Doomcock. "I have received confirmation from two additional sources claiming that this is spot on -- that indeed LucasFilm realizes they have a massive problem on their hands, that the Star Wars franchise is all but dead, and despite Kathleen Kennedy's hatred of this idea, Lucasfilm is preparing to render the Sequel Trilogy null and void."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The reason they did that episode was so they could resurrect Ashoka Tano. Which is dumb because the outcome of her battle with Vader was left ambiguous, so there were a hundred other ways for her to survive. The episode was bad and the decision was bad.

The Resistance trilogy was a shitshow, but the right way to handle it is to keep the good parts, sideline the bad parts, and move on to more interesting stories.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Shem wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 14:12
Getting back to the rumor, Doomcock says that plans are in place to save the Star Wars franchise which involves the Abrams and Rian Johnson trilogy getting nullified.

It's claimed the Disney Star Wars Trilogy will be erased using a concept that was recently made canon in the Star Wars Rebels animated series.

"In the Season 4 episode 13 installment titled 'A World Between Worlds,' the concept of the Veil of The Force was introduced, a mystical dimension of The Force that connects all time and space," explains Doomcock. "I have received confirmation from two additional sources claiming that this is spot on -- that indeed LucasFilm realizes they have a massive problem on their hands, that the Star Wars franchise is all but dead, and despite Kathleen Kennedy's hatred of this idea, Lucasfilm is preparing to render the Sequel Trilogy null and void."
While the sequel trilogy was pretty much a mess I would prefer if they forged some new territory instead of just constantly obsessing over the main branch characters over and over. It's a galaxy. I'm sure there are other things going on in other places that can be interesting.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Shem wrote:

Yes, LucasFilm is going to declare take-backsies on three movies released over 4 years and that made ~$4.5 billion.

That's totally going to happen because of something that happened in an animated series.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Painboy wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 14:33
Shem wrote:

While the sequel trilogy was pretty much a mess I would prefer if they forged some new territory instead of just constantly obsessing over the main branch characters over and over. It's a galaxy. I'm sure there are other things going on in other places that can be interesting.
That was what I was saying about Star Trek circa Y2K. Like 'Fuck Starfleet', there's got to be more stories outside the military. DS9 was good that way but it was still Starfleet centric.

As for Star Wars, I gave up on the whole franchise. I'm not even sure which post prequels movies I saw or didn't see. I remember thinking the hype around Rogue One was too much. I was just 'meh' about it. Plus I just stopped caring about the characters and couldn't remember all the stuff you were suppose to know from the last movie.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Shem

Post by Shem »

Eric the .5b wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 17:25
Shem wrote:

Yes, LucasFilm is going to declare take-backsies on three movies released over 4 years and that made ~$4.5 billion.

That's totally going to happen because of something that happened in an animated series.
It's not like they'd have to give that money back. Meanwhile, the comparatively lackluster performance of Solo has to be making them wonder how much money they can wring out of the program they have now. Especially since they now have three movies that nobody was happy with right on top of the best real estate for theoretical new TV series. TV series that could help distinguish the streaming service that's the basis of their long-term business strategy.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

They should do away with canon and continuity. Comic books have long played loose with continuity, or had parallel universes, or whatever. The Greeks did umpteen million stories about every figure involved in the Trojan war. So have movies premised on "What if Episodes 7-9 never happened? Or what if Episodes 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 never happened?" Or "Fuck it. Young Luke has been abused by Uncle Owen, and when those droids show up at the farm he kills his family and gives them to the Imperials for a bounty. Then he discovers that he's Force-sensitive and for some reason the Imperials want him."
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

If you think BLM represents a significant rebellion in America, just try to take the whole idea of canon away from nerds and star wars.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JasonL wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 18:32
If you think BLM represents a significant rebellion in America, just try to take the whole idea of canon away from nerds and star wars.
"Many Bothans died to bring us this plot twist. Don't Bothan Lives Matter?"
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo