Powerful Mice in Space (The New Star Wars Gripe Thread)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Taktix®

Powerful Mice in Space (The New Star Wars Gripe Thread)

Post by Taktix® » 29 Apr 2014, 13:06

New cast members announced: http://kotaku.com/this-is-the-cast-of-s ... 1569305101
Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.
Andy Serkis? Smeagol in space?

HOLY FUCKING BANTHA DICKS THIS IS GOING TO BE AWFUL

ETA: Also, I'm totally open to suggestions for a better thread name...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Re: Powerful Mice in Space (The New Star Wars Gripe Thread)

Post by Warren » 29 Apr 2014, 13:16

meh. It'll still be better than the prequels.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 29 Apr 2014, 13:26

Warren wrote:meh. It'll still be better than the prequels.
So would Shea Labeouf shooting a load on an overhead projector. I meant on the observable scale of awful...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 29 Apr 2014, 13:43

Taktix® wrote:
So would Shea Labeouf shooting a load on an overhead projector. I meant on the observable scale of awful...
Thanks for the fucking mind picture.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Apr 2014, 13:59

Andy Serkis does lots of good work. If you think of a recent movie with a good motion-capture performance, he almost always either did it or consulted on it. He's a no-brainer pick for movies with important robot or alien characters...like a Star Wars movie.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Apr 2014, 14:00

I'm just pleased to know Max von Sydow is alive and working, really.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Apr 2014, 14:02

Taktix® wrote:
I haven't laughed like that in a while. Thank you.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 29 Apr 2014, 14:07

Taktix® wrote:
It wwould have been plagiarized from an indy release, anyway...
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 29 Apr 2014, 14:09

Eric the .5b wrote:I'm just pleased to know Max von Sydow is alive and working, really.
LOL. That was my thought exactly as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Apr 2014, 15:08

Yeah, Andy Serkis doesn't bother me for this movie. Truthfully, even having some of the original actors doesn't bother me. However, I hope that some of their characters die and the rest fade into the background with just 1-2 "elder statesperson" scenes in episodes 8 and 9. Let Episode 7 be the transition to a new generation, and let that generation be front and center in 8 and 9.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Apr 2014, 15:27

thoreau wrote:Yeah, Andy Serkis doesn't bother me for this movie. Truthfully, even having some of the original actors doesn't bother me. However, I hope that some of their characters die and the rest fade into the background with just 1-2 "elder statesperson" scenes in episodes 8 and 9. Let Episode 7 be the transition to a new generation, and let that generation be front and center in 8 and 9.
So, Star Wars: Generations?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 29 Apr 2014, 15:35

Can we have the elder generation celebrating on Noveyshiy Alderaan when the new, embiggened Death Star 3 shows up? I'm down with that.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Apr 2014, 19:31

I wonder how "realistic" the new one will be, concerning the actual status quo when Return of the Jedi ended? Vader and the Emperor are dead, the Death Star is gone and the Empire lost its base on Endor--that's bad for the empire, but not fatal to it -- there's still all those stormtroopers and military base planets and Coruscant and the whole entire rest of the galaxy....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Apr 2014, 19:45

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 29 Apr 2014, 19:50

Jennifer wrote:I wonder how "realistic" the new one will be, concerning the actual status quo when Return of the Jedi ended? Vader and the Emperor are dead, the Death Star is gone and the Empire lost its base on Endor--that's bad for the empire, but not fatal to it -- there's still all those stormtroopers and military base planets and Coruscant and the whole entire rest of the galaxy....
Well there's a whole Extended Universe that addresses that. Of course whether they take anything from that or not is up in the air. If the old guard is going to be playing age equivalent then the you're looking at 30+ years of events that happened in between episodes 6 and 7. In the EU I think the remnants left over of the Empire are mostly gone by then in the EU.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 29 Apr 2014, 20:01

It sounds like there are three new characters who are going to be the central characters. One of them is a woman. I'm sure there will be all kinds of women in supporting roles. Writer needs to relax.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Apr 2014, 20:03

Painboy wrote:
Jennifer wrote:I wonder how "realistic" the new one will be, concerning the actual status quo when Return of the Jedi ended? Vader and the Emperor are dead, the Death Star is gone and the Empire lost its base on Endor--that's bad for the empire, but not fatal to it -- there's still all those stormtroopers and military base planets and Coruscant and the whole entire rest of the galaxy....
Well there's a whole Extended Universe that addresses that. Of course whether they take anything from that or not is up in the air. If the old guard is going to be playing age equivalent then the you're looking at 30+ years of events that happened in between episodes 6 and 7. In the EU I think the remnants left over of the Empire are mostly gone by then in the EU.
People are kind of freaking out because Disney convened a story committee to decide what parts of the EU to keep and what to get rid of.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Apr 2014, 20:08

I thought they had already said that the EU was going to be ignored.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Apr 2014, 20:12

Andrew wrote:I thought they had already said that the EU was going to be ignored.
Saying they're not going to hold the creative team to the EU isn't the same as saying they are going to discard it wholesale.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Apr 2014, 20:13

Hugh Akston wrote:People are kind of freaking out because Disney convened a story committee to decide what parts of the EU to keep and what to get rid of.
Is this committee a Nebulous Evil Organization, an Omniscient Council of Vagueness, a Secret Circle of Secrets, or something else?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 29 Apr 2014, 20:21

I should probably know better by now but is the EU something people feel really that strongly about? Some of the stuff was good but most of it was kind of crap. From what I perused a good chunk of it was taking minor characters from the films and elevating them to be some one really important who was instrumental in blah blah blah and so getting their own novel. I'm not sure losing the epic saga about the guy who shined Luke's boots that one time on Yavin is a big deal.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Apr 2014, 20:24

Painboy wrote:I should probably know better by now but is the EU something people feel really that strongly about? Some of the stuff was good but most of it was kind of crap. From what I perused a good chunk of it was taking minor characters from the films and elevating them to be some one really important who was instrumental in blah blah blah and so getting their own novel. I'm not sure losing the epic saga about the guy who shined Luke's boots that one time on Yavin is a big deal.
I thought the other half of it was showing that the major characters from the films pretty much never, ever had a normal day, always being involved in some epic adventure between movies, then after the movies fighting the remnants of the Empire or new Sith or the aliens from another galaxy or more Sith or whateverthefuck.
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Apr 2014, 20:44

Disney should have just purchased the Thrawn series.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Apr 2014, 21:36

Hugh Akston wrote:People are kind of freaking out because Disney convened a story committee to decide what parts of the EU to keep and what to get rid of.
It looks like we will have to nuke California and Central Florida for the good of mankind.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Shem

Post by Shem » 29 Apr 2014, 21:53

Hugh Akston wrote:
Andrew wrote:I thought they had already said that the EU was going to be ignored.
Saying they're not going to hold the creative team to the EU isn't the same as saying they are going to discard it wholesale.
Actually, that's exactly what it means, especially with the "we won't be retelling the old stories." They might use some of the same characters, but I'd lay odds none of the storylines are going to make an appearance. Even the ones that are good aren't that good (the Thrawn books are wholly disposable but for Thrawn and maybe Pelleaon), and the bad ones (85%+ of the New Jedi Order, plus everything that came after) are horrible. Hitting reset on that mess was probably the only thing that could have gotten me interested in the series again.
Mo wrote:Disney should have just purchased the Thrawn series.
They did. They bought the head, the tail, the whole damn thing. It's the biggest reason why JJ Abrams signed on; he wanted to make Star Trek into a multimedia project, with interlocking movies, games, TV shows, and other products. But the fact that the rights are shared between Paramount and CBS meant that getting the rights to do anything was almost impossible. So, he moved to Star Wars, where the fact all rights were held by Lucasfilm, and are now held by Disney, means that he'll be able to do whatever project he wants. Which would be worrisome if the series hadn't spent the past decades in the hands of George Lucas. It's kind of like serving as your own attorney when you're on trial in Best Korea; you might as well; it can't possibly get any worse.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen