That's Not What the Song's About!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Dangerman

Re: That's Not What the Song's About!

Post by Dangerman »

It makes more sense if the song is about The Church rather than God. "I've been around since Jesus Christ - Had his moment, of doubt and pain..."
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Taktix® wrote:I guess it's possible. All n' all, I just don't think Mick Jagger had the capacity for something that cryptic.
Death of the author!
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

I'll buy the Sympathy for Yaweh argument if we can stipulate that it's from a gnostic perspective.

Another for the original topic: Antisocial, by Anthrax. Fans hear it as making an epithet directed at them into a point of pride. They've been branded antisocial by teachers, high-school counselors, and the myriad other petty tyrants of adolescence, and this song is their rallying cry. But it's actually a song critical of some imaginary evil rich guy. (TM)
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
tr0g

Post by tr0g »

Number 6 wrote:I'll buy the Sympathy for Yaweh argument if we can stipulate that it's from a gnostic perspective.

Another for the original topic: Antisocial, by Anthrax. Fans hear it as making an epithet directed at them into a point of pride. They've been branded antisocial by teachers, high-school counselors, and the myriad other petty tyrants of adolescence, and this song is their rallying cry. But it's actually a song critical of some imaginary evil rich guy. (TM)
Wait, people don't understand that? Huh.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

The Outfield's "Your Love" got dropped in Music for the Masses, which reminded me of the song coming up elsewhere a few months ago, and then of this thread. I had to explain to someone that no, the song's probably not about seducing an underage girl, at least not by someone who's any older than her.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Porcupine Tree has a song called "Sleep Together," with a tune that is dark in a sexy kinda way, so you can guess what I initially figured it was about. Only after I had the album for a week or two did I actually pay attention to the chorus:

STEVE WILSON: Let's sleep together right now

MY THOUGHTS: Oh hell yes, you darkly sexy intellectual prog-rock god, you.

STEVE WILSON: Relieve the pressure somehow

MY THOUGHTS: Huh. Kind of a crass way to put it but I suppose he can get away with that, what with him being a prog-rock god and all.

STEVE WILSON: Switch off the future right now

MY THOUGHTS: Wait, WHAT?

STEVE WILSON: Let's sleep forever

MY THOUGHTS: AAIGH NO abort mission abort mission ABORT
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 06:26 MY THOUGHTS: AAIGH NO abort mission abort mission ABORT
*guffaws*
dhex

Post by dhex »

I mean it could be like a thing where he knows they gotta break up tomorrow but doesn't want to rather than suicide pact.

(insert joke about prog rock being a suicide pact here)
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dhex wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 19:03 I mean it could be like a thing where he knows they gotta break up tomorrow but doesn't want to rather than suicide pact.

(insert joke about prog rock being a suicide pact here)
It’s more of a bdsm agreement with no safeword.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake