Cool little things

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23209
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Cool little things

Post by Mo » 29 Jun 2017, 12:14

No one ever choose coins over bills. Bills need to be pulled from circulation for people to shift to coins.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16178
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Cool little things

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Jun 2017, 15:34

Mo wrote:No one ever choose coins over bills. Bills need to be pulled from circulation for people to shift to coins.
I would use them if they were easily distinguishable from quarters. And if they were accompanied by the end of the penny. And possibly the nickel.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24854
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Cool little things

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2017, 16:23

fucking pennies
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22882
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Cool little things

Post by Jennifer » 29 Jun 2017, 22:02

Don't knock those pennies -- my found-money total for this month (excluding the Sacagawea dollar) is over seven dollars, and the overwhelming majority of that is from pennies. Not that there's a thing you can buy with a penny, or even five or ten of them, but 50 fill a paper roll and banks do accept those for deposit.

I used the Sacagawea coin to help pay for a $6 skirt I bought at Goodwill today. That dollar coin I personally spent remains the only such coin I've ever seen in actual circulation, outside of post-office vending machines which distribute the coins as change. (Source: once, about a decade ago, Jeff used a $20 bill to buy a book of stamps from such a machine, in order to avoid the long line to buy stamps from a human clerk, and ended up getting something like 13 or 14 of the coins as part of his change.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6261
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Cool little things

Post by Andrew » 29 Jun 2017, 22:56

lunchstealer wrote:
Mo wrote:No one ever choose coins over bills. Bills need to be pulled from circulation for people to shift to coins.
I would use them if they were easily distinguishable from quarters. And if they were accompanied by the end of the penny. And possibly the nickel.
And the dime. Nothing under a quarter is worthwhile.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24854
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Cool little things

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2017, 23:38

Andrew wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Mo wrote:No one ever choose coins over bills. Bills need to be pulled from circulation for people to shift to coins.
I would use them if they were easily distinguishable from quarters. And if they were accompanied by the end of the penny. And possibly the nickel.
And the dime. Nothing under a quarter is worthwhile.
I wouldn't object to losing the dime but at least it's worth more than it costs to make.
Better yet would be to keep the coins and knock a zero off the dollar.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6814
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Cool little things

Post by Jadagul » 29 Jun 2017, 23:43

Warren wrote:
Andrew wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Mo wrote:No one ever choose coins over bills. Bills need to be pulled from circulation for people to shift to coins.
I would use them if they were easily distinguishable from quarters. And if they were accompanied by the end of the penny. And possibly the nickel.
And the dime. Nothing under a quarter is worthwhile.
I wouldn't object to losing the dime but at least it's worth more than it costs to make.
Better yet would be to keep the coins and knock a zero off the dollar.
Nah, because then you'd still have to deal with coins.

I am anxiously waiting for inflation to proceed far enough that quarters are worthless and all my cash can be paper.

(Honestly, I'm enjoying the fact that I spend cash about twice a month).

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24854
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Cool little things

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2017, 00:07

Jadagul wrote:
Warren wrote:
Andrew wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Mo wrote:No one ever choose coins over bills. Bills need to be pulled from circulation for people to shift to coins.
I would use them if they were easily distinguishable from quarters. And if they were accompanied by the end of the penny. And possibly the nickel.
And the dime. Nothing under a quarter is worthwhile.
I wouldn't object to losing the dime but at least it's worth more than it costs to make.
Better yet would be to keep the coins and knock a zero off the dollar.
Nah, because then you'd still have to deal with coins.

I am anxiously waiting for inflation to proceed far enough that quarters are worthless and all my cash can be paper.

(Honestly, I'm enjoying the fact that I spend cash about twice a month).
Dude. Who mucks about with cash at all anymore. Frankly even plastic is too much hassle for me. It's 2017 furkrystesake. Wealth should trasfer beep boop.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22882
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Cool little things

Post by Jennifer » 30 Jun 2017, 00:20

Dude. Who mucks about with cash at all anymore. Frankly even plastic is too much hassle for me. It's 2017 furkrystesake. Wealth should trasfer beep boop.
Cash is untraceable, and works even when there's no electricity or internet/smartphone connections available. For that week in 2011 when my city and half of Connecticut lost power for a week or more, it was damned lucky I had plenty of cash to spend at the relatively few businesses still operating at the time.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23209
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Cool little things

Post by Mo » 30 Jun 2017, 05:41

lunchstealer wrote:
Mo wrote:No one ever choose coins over bills. Bills need to be pulled from circulation for people to shift to coins.
I would use them if they were easily distinguishable from quarters. And if they were accompanied by the end of the penny. And possibly the nickel.
Nah, the problem is when you get enough change where you have $8 in $1s and it weighs down your pockets.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22766
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Cool little things

Post by JasonL » 30 Jun 2017, 09:16

All cash is terrible. Change is just litter.

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Cool little things

Post by nicole » 30 Jun 2017, 09:42

It's like you guys don't even participate in interstate commerce.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13004
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Cool little things

Post by Highway » 30 Jun 2017, 09:47

nicole wrote:It's like you guys don't even participate in interstate commerce.
I don't. I'm the squarest person ever.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15473
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Cool little things

Post by dhex » 30 Jun 2017, 11:08

nicole wrote:It's like you guys don't even participate in interstate commerce.
Maybe they're darkwebbing that shit.

Or legal states.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24854
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Cool little things

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2017, 11:10

ayup. Even person to person I don't hand over pieces of paper.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22766
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Cool little things

Post by JasonL » 30 Jun 2017, 11:13

More square me or hwy... hmm

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17289
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Cool little things

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Jun 2017, 11:21

You both are like little baby
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24854
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Cool little things

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2017, 12:44

So what's your preferred medium of exchange?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6261
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Cool little things

Post by Andrew » 30 Jun 2017, 13:45

Warren wrote:So what's your preferred medium of exchange?
Quatloos.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16178
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Cool little things

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jun 2017, 13:47

dhex wrote:
nicole wrote:It's like you guys don't even participate in interstate commerce.
Maybe they're darkwebbing that shit.

Or legal states.
Even in legal states they still operate on a cash-only basis, until the Feds really revise the banking rules.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Cool little things

Post by nicole » 30 Jun 2017, 14:07

Warren wrote:So what's your preferred medium of exchange?
I mean I use plastic for almost everything but I am FAR from giving up cash.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22882
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Cool little things

Post by Jennifer » 30 Jun 2017, 16:16

Also: even if you use plastic to pay for restaurant meals or bar tabs, it's nice to tip in cash so that neither the IRS nor the manager (in certain cases) knows exactly how much you gave the waiter or bartender.

I dunno -- if I had enough faith in the overall concept of "government" or "legal authority" in general (as opposed to any one government or legal authority in particular) to say "Yeah, a completely cash-free economy is great and could never be abused by authorities as a way to clamp down on or control people," I'd have too much faith to bother holding any libertarian ideals at all.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22766
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Cool little things

Post by JasonL » 30 Jun 2017, 16:44

I prefer a state where I can use credit or electronic medium for every transaction and other people use cash when they want as long as it's not paying me.

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11599
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Cool little things

Post by Ellie » 30 Jun 2017, 17:11

Highway wrote:
nicole wrote:It's like you guys don't even participate in interstate commerce.
I don't. I'm the squarest person ever.
Yeah, I would have to have cool friends to do that, which would mean being cool and having friends.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6814
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Cool little things

Post by Jadagul » 30 Jun 2017, 17:14

JasonL wrote:More square me or hwy... hmm
Me.
Jennifer wrote:Also: even if you use plastic to pay for restaurant meals or bar tabs, it's nice to tip in cash so that neither the IRS nor the manager (in certain cases) knows exactly how much you gave the waiter or bartender.

I dunno -- if I had enough faith in the overall concept of "government" or "legal authority" in general (as opposed to any one government or legal authority in particular) to say "Yeah, a completely cash-free economy is great and could never be abused by authorities as a way to clamp down on or control people," I'd have too much faith to bother holding any libertarian ideals at all.
Why would I want to help people evade taxes?
JasonL wrote:I prefer a state where I can use credit or electronic medium for every transaction and other people use cash when they want as long as it's not paying me.
Cash is inferior to card but superior to fucking around with venmo or paypal or some shit.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests