Cool little things

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Cool little things

Post by JD » 01 Sep 2016, 10:32

And the guy just refunded my order because "in Venezuela have 3 days in a political situation and we will not ship any products this week. We list this product again when shipping are normal". I guess that's the risk you run when you order from an unstable country...funny, 'political risk' is a concept I'd come across in risk management classes, but it usually applies to investors, corporations, and governments, not individual sales.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Sep 2016, 13:56

I think the logo, if not both the name and logo, of this software project is an homage:

http://facebook.github.io/reason/
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2016, 10:03

I have this Griffin PowerMate, which I've had for years, attached to my Mac. It's a small thing, but it's handy to have a big physical volume knob sometimes, and you can also configure it to do other things. Anyway, it's worked off and on for years - the hardware seems fine, but the driver and/or OS support have been very flaky and unpredictable, so it's been hard to use it as anything except a volume knob. In particular, you're supposed to be able to set the PowerMate's light state to solid, pulsing, or tracking a number of things like volume level, input level, CPU usage, etc. but that functionality hasn't worked for many, many revisions of OS X.

After years of only kind of halfway-working, the latest update to OS X seems to have restored the thing to full functionality, something I never would have expected in a million years.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Sep 2016, 10:49

Hur hur, you have a large pulsing knob.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2016, 10:59

Ellie wrote:Hur hur, you have a large pulsing knob.
Yeah, but that's not a cool little thing. ;^)

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 13 Sep 2016, 00:17

A paper, hand-powered CPU. You can get a nice insight into what's going on inside the computer you're reading this on by printing this out and following the instructions.

https://sites.google.com/site/kotukotuzimiti/
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Jan 2017, 02:08

I was very into the Cure in my younger days (until the bad album with "Friday I'm In Love" came out, at which point I mostly stopped paying attention to their new releases), and as an undergrad I once made a big-splurge purchase: $200 for an imported French boxed set containing their first 12 albums on CD, a thick booklet (written entirely in French), and a cool colored-pinwheel cutout thing on the cover. I still have it packed away with the rest of my CDs.

I just-now Googled it out of curiosity, and turns out the set now sells on Amazon for $799.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Mar 2017, 16:23

Cashed in my change jar this weekend for a $135 Amazon gift card. But I had the hardest time spending it all. There were a few things sitting on my wish list, but they only amounted to about half, so I ended up buying a new pair of earphones that put me well over. You win again, consumerism.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Mar 2017, 16:34

Hugh Akston wrote:Cashed in my change jar this weekend for a $135 Amazon gift card. But I had the hardest time spending it all. There were a few things sitting on my wish list, but they only amounted to about half, so I ended up buying a new pair of earphones that put me well over. You win again, consumerism.
You paid over $70 for a pair of earphones? What do you get for what you paid that's better than what you can get for less?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Mar 2017, 16:45

Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Cashed in my change jar this weekend for a $135 Amazon gift card. But I had the hardest time spending it all. There were a few things sitting on my wish list, but they only amounted to about half, so I ended up buying a new pair of earphones that put me well over. You win again, consumerism.
You paid over $70 for a pair of earphones? What do you get for what you paid that's better than what you can get for less?
Imma guess "everything"
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Mar 2017, 16:53

Warren wrote:
See for yourself. I had a pair of these for five years before they were finally crushed last year. Excellent sound quality, good fit, replaceable cable in case it gets cut or frayed or you just need a longer one.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 14 Mar 2017, 17:03

A few years back, we helped get my nephew (now 14) an acoustic guitar. As is often the way, he played it about three times before putting it aside and not touching it again.

But a couple weeks ago, he spontaneously picked it up again, with no prompting, and taught himself to play some stuff. He's pretty good for a new, self-taught guitarist too. It's always nice to see something like that. I said if he ever wants to go electric, just tell Uncle JD and he'll steer the boy right...

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Mar 2017, 17:44

Yeah, you really have to want to learn to play the guitar to actually do it. That's why my number one advice to someone looking to buy their first guitar is "get something that you want to play. Don't worry if it's very good, just something that you want to hold in your hands and actually play."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 16 Mar 2017, 00:20

A former Pitt friend and bass player for my awful college/indie rock band (...and the Horribles) did this: http://tedmed.com/talks/show?id=682092
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Mar 2017, 13:31

Jennifer wrote:I was very into the Cure in my younger days (until the bad album with "Friday I'm In Love" came out, at which point I mostly stopped paying attention to their new releases), and as an undergrad I once made a big-splurge purchase: $200 for an imported French boxed set containing their first 12 albums on CD, a thick booklet (written entirely in French), and a cool colored-pinwheel cutout thing on the cover. I still have it packed away with the rest of my CDs.

I just-now Googled it out of curiosity, and turns out the set now sells on Amazon for $799.
In a similar vein, I bought a Colt Python .357 Magnum 6" barrel from a cow-orker back in the late '80s for something like $500 after I had gotten my pistol permit. I came across a tweet from Tamara K. (gun blogger) a week or so ago about Colt Pythons that made fun of the recent prices, so I went on a gun broker site, and sure enough, they're selling for $3k - $7k nowadays. :shock:
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Mar 2017, 14:57

Jasper wrote:In a similar vein, I bought a Colt Python .357 Magnum 6" barrel from a cow-orker back in the late '80s for something like $500 after I had gotten my pistol permit. I came across a tweet from Tamara K. (gun blogger) a week or so ago about Colt Pythons that made fun of the recent prices, so I went on a gun broker site, and sure enough, they're selling for $3k - $7k nowadays. :shock:
If you ever want to part with it for $500 to assuage your guilt over getting such a deal...
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Mar 2017, 15:08

Andrew wrote:
Jasper wrote:In a similar vein, I bought a Colt Python .357 Magnum 6" barrel from a cow-orker back in the late '80s for something like $500 after I had gotten my pistol permit. I came across a tweet from Tamara K. (gun blogger) a week or so ago about Colt Pythons that made fun of the recent prices, so I went on a gun broker site, and sure enough, they're selling for $3k - $7k nowadays. :shock:
If you ever want to part with it for $500 to assuage your guilt over getting such a deal...
Would be a good hiking sidearm for you.

But I feel no guilt whatsoever.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Mar 2017, 18:27

People think pythons are really cool. I don't think they in any series had better actions than smith equivalents tho. Revolver people are strange.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Mar 2017, 20:37

JasonL wrote:People think pythons are really cool. I don't think they in any series had better actions than smith equivalents tho. Revolver people are strange.
I was unimpressed with the 686 I had. It worked, but it was just kind of... there.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Mar 2017, 21:39

I feel that way about all revolvers. The have a pocket carry hammerless niche and a big bullets niche. I'd kinda like a performance center 629 but not enough to go get one apparently. Revolvers feel stupid in my hand.

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Mar 2017, 08:27

JasonL wrote:I feel that way about all revolvers. The have a pocket carry hammerless niche and a big bullets niche. I'd kinda like a performance center 629 but not enough to go get one apparently. Revolvers feel stupid in my hand.
That's how I feel too but L-dub is developing a fondness for them specifically because they feel good in his hands.

But he has some...pretty tiny hands.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 17 Mar 2017, 10:55

nicole wrote:
JasonL wrote:I feel that way about all revolvers. The have a pocket carry hammerless niche and a big bullets niche. I'd kinda like a performance center 629 but not enough to go get one apparently. Revolvers feel stupid in my hand.
That's how I feel too but L-dub is developing a fondness for them specifically because they feel good in his hands.

I don't have particularly big hands, but I've always been fine with 1911s.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Mar 2017, 11:25

tr0g wrote:
nicole wrote:

I don't have particularly big hands, but I've always been fine with 1911s.
Oh that's his baby. Or at least it was until Sam came along.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 17 Mar 2017, 12:07

It was the second pistol I'd ever bought, and this was like 25 years ago. I was just getting "into" guns and my friend, whose wife worked at Colt at the time, was getting out of them. I still think I got a deal even back then.

I enjoyed shooting it for several years. I did find it smoother to use than a S&W .38 another friend had.

I like both autos and revolvers. I think there may be a mystique about revolvers since they were such an icon in our history and the myth making of of our history.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 May 2017, 15:15

For pretty much the entire time Jeff and I have lived together, we've had a large-ish china bowl into which we'd dump our loose change every day after coming home from work or shopping; then, when that bowl was full, I'd roll the coins and deposit them in the bank.

When we moved to Atlanta last summer, I noticed that I almost always found money anytime I'd go out, even if only a penny or two. Used to be I'd toss those coins into the regular loose-change bowl, but after we'd been here a couple of months I put out a separate, smaller bowl (actually a miniature basket made of clear molded glass) which only held "found money." Last weekend the little found-money basket was full almost to overflowing, so I emptied it out and counted its contents -- $3.91, plus a Canadian penny and a five-rupee piece from India. (About a buck-fifty of that was pennies, which I promptly rolled and added to the pile for my next bank visit; the rest was a smattering of dimes and nickels, plus two quarters, which are now in the larger loose-change bowl.)

I wrote that sum and the date on a little slip of paper which I put into the bottom of the found-money basket, and have since been refilling it with more "found money" -- six cents from yesterday's visit to Kroger, a dime and a penny found while taking a late-afternoon stroll around the block .... I don't expect Jeff and I will ever be so poor as to think "Ooh, thank Zod for that four bucks in loose change you found over the course of nine months, without it we couldn't pay this month's bills" (at least I freaking hope not), but I have turned it into a game of sorts -- anytime I go out, I think "There most likely is money somewhere for me to find."

It's even encouraging for me to get more exercise -- the neighborhood where I live isn't a very good walking neighborhood (there are sidewalks; there just isn't anyplace worth walking to, as there were in other places I've lived -- no library in walking distance, no scenic areas, no flea markets or interesting stores, nothing but a couple overpriced convenience-store-type businesses selling nothing I need or want, especially at those inflated prices); walking just for the sake of walking always struck me as kind of boring, and once I satisfied my curiosity about my new neighborhood ("What's down this road? Oh, more generic low-rise apartment mega-complexes") there wasn't any reason to go out for a stroll ... until I stared playing the found-money game.

I'm not sure what it says about my character, that the mere thought of improved physical health and mental well-being isn't enough to get me out of this apartment, whereas the thought of maybe adding another penny or two to the found-money basket is. I'm sure it says nothing flattering, though. :oops:
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b