Cool little things

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Cool little things

Post by Jennifer » 30 Jun 2017, 17:55

Jadagul wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Also: even if you use plastic to pay for restaurant meals or bar tabs, it's nice to tip in cash so that neither the IRS nor the manager (in certain cases) knows exactly how much you gave the waiter or bartender.

I dunno -- if I had enough faith in the overall concept of "government" or "legal authority" in general (as opposed to any one government or legal authority in particular) to say "Yeah, a completely cash-free economy is great and could never be abused by authorities as a way to clamp down on or control people," I'd have too much faith to bother holding any libertarian ideals at all.
Why would I want to help people evade taxes?
The better question - in the specific context of "Why certain people oppose the idea of an entirely cashless economy" -- is "Why would you want to help the IRS and any related agencies keep track of every cent citizens exchange between themselves?"

Just to clarify: I'm not inherently opposed to credit cards or other non-cash payment options; I'm opposed to the idea that such options should be the only ones available. I'd view an entirely cashless economy the same way I'd view a benevolent dictatorship compared to a democracy/democratic-republican government: in theory, so long as the "right" people are in charge, it would be as good if not better than what we've got now. But even if you start out with the "right" people in charge, sooner or later the wrong ones will take their places. Price of liberty is eternal vigilance and whatnot.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Jun 2017, 18:25

Jadagul wrote:
JasonL wrote:More square me or hwy... hmm
Me.
I don't think you get to say you're square. You're like a really oblique rectangle. Not curvy and smooth, but still interesting nonetheless.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 30 Jun 2017, 18:35

Jadagul wrote:Cash is inferior to card but superior to fucking around with venmo or paypal or some shit.
venmo is so easy tho. it's less work than using your credit card after a while.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jun 2017, 22:47

Highway wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
Me.
I don't think you get to say you're square. You're like a really oblique rectangle. Not curvy and smooth, but still interesting nonetheless.
I'll go with convex polygon.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2017, 23:30

Aresen wrote:
Highway wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
Me.
I'll go with convex polygon.
Jadagul can only be a line segment as he exists entirely within the imaginary axis.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Jun 2017, 23:45

Jadagul is an irregular five-dimensional solid on a non-euclidean plane
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Jul 2017, 18:23

I'm still playing the found-money game, to inspire me to go for daily-exercise walks in this "too boring to walk in otherwise" neighborhood where I live, and have realized one reason I find as many coins as I do is not simply because there's a larger-than-usual number of people here who'll carry money in their pockets and accidentally drop a penny or nickel without realizing it; people here will literally throw money away.

There's a coin-operated car-vacuum thing nearby, and I'll almost always find at least a penny or two in its immediate vicinity. But one day a couple weeks ago, there were over thirty pennies on the ground next to that vacuum -- shiny new pennies, not old darkened ones that had been there for awhile. (Besides, I found those pennies less than 24 hours after my last visit to that spot; I know for a fact they hadn't been there long.) And I just-now got back from my daily slog through the neighborhood, and in addition to the usual individual coins I'd find here and there, I walked past the concrete steps leading to the back door of one of the strip-mall businesses, and saw a pile of coins scattered over maybe a square foot of asphalt: 43 pennies plus one nickel. Again, those coins were not there yesterday. And unless the person who dropped them was completely deaf, they couldn't have been dropped by accident either; they must've made quite a racket when they landed.

I do not get this attitude, especially in this neighborhood. (This is not remotely the "poorest" part of the Atlanta metro region -- the local apartment complexes do not accept section 8, but require proof of income at least 3X the rent. But that rent -- and the corresponding 3X income -- is considerably lower than the average and median for this region. Our 3BR costs less than the Atlanta-metro median rent for a 1BR.) Even if you personally are so prosperous -- or your pockets are so heavy and overstuffed -- that you just can't be bothered to hold on to 50 cents' worth of small change long enough to deposit it in the bank or a Coinstar machine, for fuck's sake don't throw that money away; toss it in one of the charity collection bins! There are charity-collection bins and cans all over the freaking place here, for various food banks and kitchens, homeless shelters, children's hospitals, all sorts of things. The website of one of the area food banks said that $1 is enough for them to buy four meals (no surprise, since food banks can buy in bulk and make arrangements with wholesalers, so of course they get a lot more food for a buck than you or I could if we spent that same dollar at a regular supermarket). By food-bank standards, I'm finding a minimum of 8 to 12+ meals' worth of money every week, just going for daily exercise walks over a couple of blocks in this poorer-than-average neighborhood.

I'm still keeping my "found money" separate from the regular loose-change bowl where Jeff and I toss coins after shopping trips, and I'm still keeping track of my findings just for curiosity's sake. For now, those found coins are rolled and deposited in my regular bank account, but if and when I finally find steady work again, as opposed to the occasional freelance pittances I bring in now, when I get my first paycheck I intend to make a food-bank donation equal to the total of my neighborhood found-money earnings. I like the balanced symbolism of the idea: helping the poorest people in the neighborhood, with unwanted money scrounged directly from said neighborhood.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 07 Jul 2017, 22:54

So on a whim today I joined some Facebook group for the neighborhood in which I grew up (Brookline [in Pittsburgh, not Mass.]), and some lady posted this class schedule she found inside her fucking wall:

My grandma is the Mrs. Kyle on there. She died when I was like 8 or 9 and I had only heard very few and secondhand stories of her Catholic school teaching days. People are posting things like:

"I had Mrs. Kyle in 4th or 5th grade. So that would be around 1956-57"

"I think Mrs. Kyle was my teacher in 1963. I was in her class at Ressi when President Kennedy was assassinated."

"Mrs. Kyle always had Pine Brothers Cough Drops in her desk drawer!"

"Mrs Kyle also had a bag or box of Bugles that she snacked on all day. She tried to be discreet about it. But we all knew she was eating bugles during class."

"Mrs. Kyle busted me across the face for talking during the Pledge of Allegiance. I didn't like her much." ( :shock: )

"I remember something in Mrs. Kyle's class called the "We Never Guess, We Look It Up Club." It's hazy if she ran it, or someone came in....? But it was a life-long lesson."

Pretty cool totally random stumble upon. Having shithead parents means a lot of family history can be lost, or maybe I'm hitting that ageing-driven genealogy phase...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Jul 2017, 07:52

That's awesome, Taktix.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 08 Jul 2017, 12:59

Cool.
I remember something in Mrs. Kyle's class called the "We Never Guess, We Look It Up Club."
And this was back when looking something up meant trudging miles through the snow uphill both ways, not just typing into your phone.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 15 Jul 2017, 08:37

Well I think it's cool anyway ...

Today is the first day of my wine examination. It's only a sommelier I class but I've been putting this off for years. Two days of lecture, deductive wine tastings, and quizzes. Followed by a half hour break. And then the exam. Graded by five master sommeliers.

Wish me luck.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Jul 2017, 09:41

Fun! Good luck!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Jul 2017, 13:33

Oh my god! That's so exciting! Just like that documentary! Good luck!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Jul 2017, 13:40

The answer to #4 is C) Grapes.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 15 Jul 2017, 16:02

Good luck! Cool skill to have.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 15 Jul 2017, 16:58

If we get rid of cash in America, will we send pallets of pre-paid debit cards to the next generation of currently-in-favor rebel groups in foreign countries?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 15 Jul 2017, 21:00

Hugh Akston wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 13:40
The answer to #4 is C) Grapes.
The answer would be to answer with how Pinot Noir is the only varietal allowed in Cote de Nuits which is north of Cote de Beaune which is part of the Cote d'Or appellation which is part of the Burgundy region.

Fool.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 15 Jul 2017, 21:10

Also. Despite a sinus infection I still managed to nail down 3 of the 12 wines I was tasting. Down to appellation and year. That was really cool.

JasonL

Cool little things

Post by JasonL » 16 Jul 2017, 00:27

Vintage is crazy. I've never even tried vintage. I think Italy is the hardest to "know". There are 30 Gavi like whites I can't tell apart. Sometimes varietal in the name sometimes region. And all the stuff you think you can pin down tastes completely different. Ever had Italian Pinot?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 16 Jul 2017, 08:47

JasonL wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 00:27
Vintage is crazy. I've never even tried vintage. I think Italy is the hardest to "know". There are 30 Gavi like whites I can't tell apart. Sometimes varietal in the name sometimes region. And all the stuff you think you can pin down tastes completely different. Ever had Italian Pinot?
I have. And italy is absolutely nuts. There is something like 10k grape varietals in the world. Something like 2k to 3k can be found in Italy. Madness ....

Plus the Italians actively obfuscate the varietal name if they can get away with it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jul 2017, 11:36

Ellie wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 13:33
Oh my god! That's so exciting! Just like that documentary! Good luck!
What documentary?

Bon Chance Pham.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jul 2017, 13:12

Prolly Somm

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jul 2017, 13:27

JasonL wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 13:12
Prolly Somm
Did everybody know about this except me? Why wasn't I informed?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 16 Jul 2017, 16:12

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 13:27
JasonL wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 13:12
Prolly Somm
Did everybody know about this except me? Why wasn't I informed?
You're kind of low on my list of peeps to share things with, unfortunately. You're kind of negative yo.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jul 2017, 16:27

I meant the movie. Not everything is about you. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT