Cool little things

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Cool little things

Post by Jennifer » 29 May 2017, 15:50

Just went out to toss some garbage in the dumpster, then (since the weather is relatively cool) decided to go for a stroll in search of found money -- another penny before I made it half a block. Turned around and started heading back along the opposite side of the parking lot, and found four more cents along the way, before it started raining so I decided to come inside. Sad to think that looking for and picking up loose coins is practically the only exercise I get nowadays....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 31 May 2017, 05:24

Jennifer wrote:Just went out to toss some garbage in the dumpster, then (since the weather is relatively cool) decided to go for a stroll in search of found money -- another penny before I made it half a block. Turned around and started heading back along the opposite side of the parking lot, and found four more cents along the way, before it started raining so I decided to come inside. Sad to think that looking for and picking up loose coins is practically the only exercise I get nowadays....
Is it better or worse than Pokemon Go? :) (I'd say better.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 31 May 2017, 13:02

But not nearly as awesome as Pokemon Go-To-The-Polls.

I almost threw up just typing that.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 31 May 2017, 15:43

Eric the .5b wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Just went out to toss some garbage in the dumpster, then (since the weather is relatively cool) decided to go for a stroll in search of found money -- another penny before I made it half a block. Turned around and started heading back along the opposite side of the parking lot, and found four more cents along the way, before it started raining so I decided to come inside. Sad to think that looking for and picking up loose coins is practically the only exercise I get nowadays....
Is it better or worse than Pokemon Go? :) (I'd say better.)
Well, it's definitely more retro than Pokemon Go. And -- an important consideration in this neighborhood -- with the found-money game there's no worry about being mugged for your smartphone, either.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Jun 2017, 20:06

Since I've started going for daily walks (and playing the found-money game), the found-money bowl is filling much faster than it did before: on May 24 I emptied it of $3.91, which I'd started collecting sometime about nine months previous; now, only 11 days later, it has $1.04. (Three dimes, all else pennies.) I went ahead and rolled the money, since I have to go to the bank tomorrow anyway; after I deposit those freelance checks and rolled coins, I'll bask in the amused thought that $4.95 of my bank balance consists of money nobody else in my poor neighborhood noticed or wanted.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 04 Jun 2017, 20:21

Sweet, good for you. To paraphrase the great and wise Geddy Lee, hey, 5 bucks is 5 bucks.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Jun 2017, 17:31

dead_elvis wrote:Sweet, good for you. To paraphrase the great and wise Geddy Lee, hey, 5 bucks is 5 bucks.
And the sad/weird thing is, in this particular neighborhood where I live now, there are people for whom five bucks more or less actually does make a difference to their household budget.

Today, I made a "dry run" to the building where I'll be having a job interview in a couple of days (it's in an Atlanta neighborhood where I've never been before, so I wanted to make sure my GPS didn't send me the wrong way or anything); then, after I drove past it to confirm I knew where it was, Jeff and I visited various businesses in the area, before driving to a Midtown restaurant he'd been wanting to visit for awhile. Both the job-interview neighborhood and Midtown are far more upscale parts of town than my neck of the woods, and I played the "found-money" game as usual, but did not see so much as a single penny. So I thought "Huh, this might be the first time since moving to Atlanta last year that I did not find any money at all when I left my house, despite having visited several different businesses" -- but on our way back home, we stopped at the gas station/convenience store near our apartment complex, and ... sho'nuff, there were four shiny, impossible-to-not-notice pennies on the sidewalk there. Then we returned home, and I walked the very short distance from our apartment to the mailbox cluster -- found another shiny, impossible-to-miss penny on my way back.

In other words: I always find money (albeit in tiny amounts) whenever I go places in my rather-poor neighborhood, but not in the more upscale regions. I only just emptied the "found money" bowl last night, and already it has another five cents in it -- and I haven't gone for my usual daily walk through the neighborhood yet, either.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Jun 2017, 18:04

I suspect that there's more sweeping and general picking-up going on in the tonier parts of town, and many more people like me who almost never carry cash anymore.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Jun 2017, 18:51

lunchstealer wrote:I suspect that there's more sweeping and general picking-up going on in the tonier parts of town, and many more people like me who almost never carry cash anymore.
I suspect it's the credit card thing moreso than sweeping -- I just got back from my walk and found another 15 cents (dime and five pennies) which I know were not there yesterday, nor was the penny I found in my parking lot by the mailbox, because I walked the same route yesterday and already picked up whatever coins were there. I doubt even the tonier neighborhoods sweep up every 24 hours (especially considering how much litter and just-plain dirt I saw in Midtown).

I play the found-money game mainly to get some needed exercise, not in hope of actual monetary gain, but at the rate I'm going I might also, within a year, find enough to cover the cost of those overpriced barrettes I wasted money ($36) buying from Amazon last month.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Jun 2017, 20:42

Today's found-money haul was only five cents -- limited to my own apartment-complex parking lot, since I couldn't go for my usual neighborhood walk because I spent a good chunk of time visiting a physical therapist about my stupidly stiff shoulder, and it was raining by the time I returned home -- but those five pennies included a 1951 wheat penny in fairly good condition. So I put that in the wheat-penny jar, then took an ordinary modern penny out of the regular loose-change bowl and put it in the found-money bowl to replace the wheat penny.

This is getting ridiculously complicated; right now, unrolled loose one-cent pieces in my household are subdivided between "the regular loose change bowl," "the found-money loose change bowl," "the wheat penny jar" and "the pre-1982 Lincoln Memorial copper penny bowl." (And of course, any found pre-82 pennies go into the copper-penny bowl, to be replaced in the found-money bowl by a post-82 penny from the regular loose change bowl....)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Jun 2017, 20:49

Today's found-money haul was the most lucrative yet (not counting the $20 bill I found at the otherwise-disappointing Georgia State Fair last year): 65 cents. Better yet, I think my daily walks are starting to have a noticeable effect on my physical condition: I don't have a scale so I can't say if I've lost weight, but certain pairs of pants and shorts fit less snugly than they did last summer, when I was still under self-imposed "Fuck this fucking heat" house arrest.

Downside: apparently we're just at the beginning of the really-super-nasty heat season. I leave the house all nice and clean and respectable, and come back a sweaty slimy pile of disgustingness. And it's not even officially the start of summer yet. I'm hoping I'll still be interested in playing the found-money game when it gets that bad, because staying indoors all the time is genuinely not-good for one's physical or mental health (and going outside only long enough to check the mail, discard garbage, or run errands in nearby stores doesn't really count as "going outside").

Jason

Post by Jason » 14 Jun 2017, 17:54

Jennifer has discovered why some Georgians shower more than once a day...
This message should not be used for any purposes in the development, design, manufacture, or production of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Jun 2017, 18:53

Jason wrote:Jennifer has discovered why some Georgians shower more than once a day...
I'm getting near that point already. (And I've already learned: don't even bother showering just after I wake up/just before going for my walk. Seriously, don't. All it does is waste time, water and soap, because by the time I return from my walk I am every bit as gross as if I haven't showered all year.)

If/when I get a full-time commute-to-work gig, I can easily see myself being a twice-daily-minimum showerer, at least during the late spring/all summer/early-to-mid autumn months: first shower in the morning, so I look (and hopefully smell) good for work; second shower when I get home, because it is impossible to be outdoors after 11 a.m. or so for more than 30 seconds, without turning into a sweaty slimy stinkmonster.

Tl;dr: fuck this heat and double-fuck this humidity. With a pine cone. Sharpened.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Jun 2017, 00:21

Jennifer wrote:
Jason wrote:Jennifer has discovered why some Georgians shower more than once a day...
I'm getting near that point already. (And I've already learned: don't even bother showering just after I wake up/just before going for my walk. Seriously, don't. All it does is waste time, water and soap, because by the time I return from my walk I am every bit as gross as if I haven't showered all year.)

If/when I get a full-time commute-to-work gig, I can easily see myself being a twice-daily-minimum showerer, at least during the late spring/all summer/early-to-mid autumn months: first shower in the morning, so I look (and hopefully smell) good for work; second shower when I get home, because it is impossible to be outdoors after 11 a.m. or so for more than 30 seconds, without turning into a sweaty slimy stinkmonster.

Tl;dr: fuck this heat and double-fuck this humidity. With a pine cone. Sharpened.
Ah, yes. You want an un-opened loblolly pinecone.

dhex

Post by dhex » 16 Jun 2017, 10:47

this would be a neat festival to attend:

http://gothamist.com/2017/06/15/film_fo ... 0s_nyc.php
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jun 2017, 11:05

lunchstealer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Ah, yes. You want an un-opened loblolly pinecone.
A Coulter Pine cone would be my choice. Open or not.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jun 2017, 20:49

Fuuuuck yeaaaaah! Any fan of the recently departed writer Florence King knows that back in the 1970s, during the height of the "sweet savage romance" bodice-ripper fad, she wrote a novel called "The Barbarian Princess" under the pen name Laura Buchanan. Of course the novel's been out of print for decades, and on the rare occasions I've seen a copy available for sale, the seller always knew about the Buchanan/King connection and priced it accordingly (a just-now search on Amazon shows the cheapest available copy is going for $28.90, and that copy looks to be in pretty shabby condition, too). Which is why "The Barbarian Princess" has long been the only Florence King book I've never even read, much less owned my own copy of.

Today, I found a copy while browsing the 25-cent paperback section of my favorite local secondhand book store.

Added bonus: when I got home, it was overcast and relatively cool (though of course still fuckballs-humid, because Georgia), so I went for my regular walk, and today's found-money haul was more lucrative than usual because in addition to the expected handful of pennies, I found two nickels, a dime and a quarter. So not only did I find a relatively rare [and usually expensive] collectible book, it literally cost me less money than the loose change I found that afternoon!

In case anyone's interested, this is the essay King later wrote about her time wading in the sweet-savage-romance-writer pool; this NY Times article was later reprinted in one of King's books, and is the only reason why I (and presumably all the other Florence King fans out there) know about Laura Buchanan and "The Barbarian Princess."

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/03/books ... wanted=all
...By the mid-1970's the so-called ''antifeminist backlash'' had produced a demand for lushly romantic bodice-rippers known in the trade as ''sweet savages'' after one of the genre's all-time blockbusters, ''Sweet Savage Love'' (1974) by Rosemary Rogers. Published as original paperbacks with three-word titles composed of emotionally extravagant trigger words, they sold millions and made their authors rich.

Deciding to get in on the gravy, I contacted a packager for whom I had once done a ghost job.

''Great!'' he said. ''But there's too much Southern Plantation and French Revolution. Can you come up with a different background?''

Unfortunately I could. My first sweet savage mistake was choosing as a background the fall of Roman Britain to the Anglo-Saxons. The fifth century A.D. was the Big Spillover, the Century That Was, the time history hit the fan. Between the Goths sacking Rome and the Christians burning down the Platonic libraries, there was so much destruction we really don't know what happened in the fifth century, which is why footnotes for this period kick off with warnings like: ''Professor Chomondeley disagrees.'' Like the annexation of Schleswig-Holstein, the fifth century has a way of getting to people foolish enough to study it. Nonetheless, I presented the idea to my editor. ...

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jun 2017, 11:51

Ok, that essay's hilarious in a rueful way.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jun 2017, 15:59

Yeesh, this book is baaaad indeed. The period historical details are interesting and presumably authentic, so I am genuinely, non-ironically enjoying that part of it -- "If I were an elite young woman living in that place and time, what would my daily routine have been like? What did I like and dislike about a typical day? What were the special-occasion things I'd've looked forward to? Which personal possessions did I take for granted, and which were my valued treasures?" and so forth -- but, as King mentions in her essay, there's no plot at all; it's just "A whole bunch of stuff happens. Really bad stuff, for the most part." It's like trying to get a "feel" for medieval life by watching the non-magic parts of Game of Thrones: yeah, bad shit happened in the Middle Ages, but GoT is all bad shit, all the time. (On the other hand, there were certain times and places in Europe where it really was all bad shit, all the time, for the people living there; it's quite possible Roman Britain just as Rome was falling actually was that horrible.) And as a longtime Florence King fan who's read all her other works multiple times, I'm deriving additional enjoyment from noticing which aspects of the book or its heroine clearly derive from King herself: she was a huge admirer of Queen Boudicca (and made her the topic of her would-be masters' thesis;) so of course Lydda the spunky Celt was a huge fan of Boudicca, and made a point of annoying her Roman tutor by writing essays on the theme "Boudicca: the anti-Roman rebel who was the great hero of us Celts."

But of course, there's at least one horrible incident of sexual assault or near-sexual assault per chapter, and to make sure Lydda went along with her forced marriage to the evil Roman her father put some sort of drug in her wine the night before ... and that's as much as I've read thus far. I'm glad I have this book because of its Florence King authorship, but in any other instance I'd say "At 25 cents, I paid far more than this book is worth." (Though in any other instance, I'd not have bought the book in the first place.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jun 2017, 20:40

I'd almost forgotten gold-colored Sacagawea dollar coins existed, until I found one during my daily walk today. Initially mistook it for a game-arcade token.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 29 Jun 2017, 08:27

Jennifer wrote:I'd almost forgotten gold-colored Sacagawea dollar coins existed, until I found one during my daily walk today. Initially mistook it for a game-arcade token.
I'll never forget these. When I was at Pitt, in the basement of the Cathedral of Learning, they had a bank of old vending machines that did not take paper dollars nor Sacagawea dollars, but featured a nearby change machine that only dispensed Sacagawea dollars.

The universe was trying to tell me to transfer, but did I listen?
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Jun 2017, 08:43

I'm hoping the failure of the presidential dollar coins (only what, a billion left sitting in the warehouse?) will keep the "dollar coins are the future" people stymied for a while.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2017, 09:33

Andrew wrote:I'm hoping the failure of the presidential dollar coins (only what, a billion left sitting in the warehouse?) will keep the "dollar coins are the future" people stymied for a while.
How many have they trotted out? I lost count.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Jun 2017, 11:32

Warren wrote:
Andrew wrote:I'm hoping the failure of the presidential dollar coins (only what, a billion left sitting in the warehouse?) will keep the "dollar coins are the future" people stymied for a while.
How many have they trotted out? I lost count.
They're gave up at Chester Arthur and switched from mass production to collector's-only production numbers.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Jun 2017, 11:41

When we brought in the loonie, they pulled dollar bills entirely. I can't recall if they pulled the deuce at the same time or shortly thereafter, but we got the toonie a couple of years later.
ImageImage
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer