Cool little things

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Cool little things

Post by Warren »

I've seen that in churches. Which I believe that is, in fact, one.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

The only proper place for a drum set in a church is out back in its dumpster.

*returns to polishing her thurible*
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Ellie wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 19:29 *returns to polishing her thurible*
Is that's what the kids are calling it these days?
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

lunchstealer wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 19:38
Yes, but it only smokes if you don't use lube.
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 21:03
lunchstealer wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 19:38
Yes, but it only smokes if you don't use lube.
That's only a single entendre.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Recently, I've developed a mild interest in bird watching. (Enough to get a decent second-hand set of binos, and some field guides, but not enough to learn all the stuff I need to in order to be an actual birder) The other day, while wandering Lowe's with the spouse, I ran across a bird feeder that is essentially a flat tray with a screen on the bottom that holds seeds. Since the apartment balcony looks over a stretch of wooded land that is usually full of birds, I decided to give the 'birdwatching from my couch' thing a try. This morning is the first time I've been home from work and able to watch. So far, I've seen up to five birds of three different species at once, and the flow of traffic has been very steady. I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Species: Two female cardinals two males (the males are much more reticent, but the females are chowing down), a pair of black capped chickadees, and three tufted titmice.

And now, there's a woodpecker of some sort perched upside down on the tree opposite me. Piliated, I think, but could be a red-headed. Luckily, the field guide is right next to my coffee cup. Why do people go outside to do this?

Turns out it's a red-bellied woodpecker.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Warren

Post by Warren »

Number 6 wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 11:23 Recently, I've developed a mild interest in bird watching. (Enough to get a decent second-hand set of binos, and some field guides, but not enough to learn all the stuff I need to in order to be an actual birder) The other day, while wandering Lowe's with the spouse, I ran across a bird feeder that is essentially a flat tray with a screen on the bottom that holds seeds. Since the apartment balcony looks over a stretch of wooded land that is usually full of birds, I decided to give the 'birdwatching from my couch' thing a try. This morning is the first time I've been home from work and able to watch. So far, I've seen up to five birds of three different species at once, and the flow of traffic has been very steady. I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Species: Two female cardinals two males (the males are much more reticent, but the females are chowing down), a pair of black capped chickadees, and three tufted titmice.

And now, there's a woodpecker of some sort perched upside down on the tree opposite me. Piliated, I think, but could be a red-headed. Luckily, the field guide is right next to my coffee cup. Why do people go outside to do this?

Turns out it's a red-bellied woodpecker.
The red-belly is a favorite at our feeding station too. The only bird that goes upside-down is the nuthatch, which is nothing like a Piliated woodpecker (a huge bird).
As one who has hung feeders most my life, here is my unsolicited wisdom.
  1. Never surrender to squirrels. If squirrels raid your feeders. Take action to thwart them. Remember: You are a human and they are just pea-brained vermin.
  2. Only use sunflower seeds, NEVER millet. Millet is thistle and weed seeds and most birds will toss it to the ground to get to the sunflower. It's garbage food for garbage birds.
  3. Hang suit to attract woodpeckers.
  4. You can hang your feeders right outside the window.
  5. You really want to have a location next to trees or shrubs. Birds like to 'stage' by flying into dense growth where they feel safe, assure themselves there are no predators about, then feed. They also want somewhere nearby to retreat to should they get frightened.
That's enough to get started. You already have a book and are identifying what you see, which makes me happy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

That sounds really cool, Six.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Very neat. I don't get to see birds as much thanks to the parking lot, but I hear a lot amongst the trees behind my house, and so I'm trying to teach myself the calls from the Audubon site.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Well, here's the call of the Orange Flustered Loon:

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

You know those old Chinese landscape paintings? Somebody wrote a program to procedurally generate a never-ending one:
http://shan-shui-inf.lingdong.works/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston