Cool little things

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Pham Nuwen

Re: Cool little things

Post by Pham Nuwen » 16 Jul 2017, 18:03

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 16:27
I meant the movie. Not everything is about you. :)
I meant the movie as well .... and joked about why I didn't send you info on it ....nevermind.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Jul 2017, 18:11

Very cool, Pham. My appreciation of wines is still very limited, so I'm boggled by that degree of recognition.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Aug 2018, 18:02

I'm currently rolling the coins in the loose-change bowl, and found a silver dime from 1961.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Aug 2018, 16:20

When you type 'password generator' into DuckDuckGo it will generate a password for you.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Aug 2018, 18:56

Hugh Akston wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 16:20
When you type 'password generator' into DuckDuckGo it will generate a password for you.
And now DDG has your password.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Aug 2018, 19:36

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 18:56
Hugh Akston wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 16:20
And now DDG has your password.
*hand waves* Pooh! Pooh! The seven NSA agents on their staff would never share your information.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 20 Aug 2018, 13:18

Perhaps even more interesting, you can specify various things about the DDG-generated password, for example:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=password+16+s ... &ia=answer
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Aug 2018, 23:29

Jeff and I went to a festival in Atlanta's Grant Park (circa 1880s according to a sign posted by the entrance; IIRC the oldest park in Atlanta's parks system) today, and parked on a residential street a few blocks away. The residential neighborhood surrounding the park is an old one and very nice (except that the sidewalks -- especially the brick-paved sections -- are in pretty bad condition), and on our way back from the festival we were admiring various features of the houses and yards -- most of which were more "cobblestone and shade trees" than "grass in need of mowing," which Jeff especially liked. At a corner where we had to turn to get to our car, we saw an absolutely gorgeous Victorian with elaborate details -- amazing gingerbread work all over the place, stained-glass windows, window with etched panes, a fairytale turret, all that kind of stuff. So instead of turning at that corner, we actually walked a bit further down the street so we could pass the house, and get a better look at the turret and other features.

When we finally did turn the corner, passing the side of the Victorian, we dawdled a little to take in more features of the house -- I noticed some very old-looking concrete planters with embossed fleurs-de-lis matching the patterns of some of the stained glass panes -- and Jeff pointed out that behind the house was a carport with gingerbread scrollwork matching the house. And I pointed out some other detail, and we spoke for another moment or two before we realized there were two older men in the backyard who'd heard us talking. The four of us got to talking and then they invited us into the backyard to point out a couple other details and tell us a bit about the history of the house (which was built in the 1880s, presumably when or shortly after Grant Park itself started), and said that the stained-glass panels were original to the house, but the etched glass panels were made by the older of the two men. (Their names were Tom and Tony; I forget which one I mostly spoke to, but it was the younger of the two men). They pointed out a few more original/historic details outside, and then offered to take us inside and show us around. Of course we both protested that we couldn't possibly put them through such trouble, and they protested it wouldn't be trouble at all, so we went inside and holy crap that place is gorgeous.

Unsurprisingly, the glass-etcher turns out to be a member of a "Cut Glass and Crystal Society" or something like that, and the house was outfitted with glass and crystal lamps and chandeliers everywhere (only not in a tacky way). Many antique oil lamps that are still functional as oil lamps but also work with electricity, a few newer lamps which I think he made himself. Any one lamp would've been a showpiece, but the effect of so very many of them together as the house's primary lighting motif was stunning.

Turns out the older man bought the house forty-something years ago -- at the time, it had been a boarding house and on the verge of being condemned -- and he restored it to what it is today (including making all the gingerbread work by hand). The younger man has lived there for twenty-something years. Every room downstairs was gorgeous enough to be a museum piece. There was even one music room equipped with various instruments including a working Victrola and a Cobb organ, among other amazing pieces I can't currently recall. There was a pump organ, I remember, and a mechanical music box with the interchangeable metal song disks. In another room, against one wall was a lovely vintage sofa flanked by two marble-topped end tables which, apparently, were the belongings of the house's original 1880s owner (and the only such pieces of furniture to never leave the house since).

The doors separating the kitchen from the dining room were the kind that slide into the walls rather than swing out on hinges, and when our host showed us that I mused that perhaps such doors made for better air flow through the house, in the days before air conditioning or even fans. And he said yes, but that the main reason these doors were so popular was for tax purposes: he said in those days taxes were assessed partially based on how many rooms were in a house, and with sliding doors like this, you could open them and have the two rooms count as only one. He also said that's why not many people had closets then -- because a closet was considered another room.

Long story short, we had a lovely time talking about antiques and Old Atlanta and Atlanta in general -- Jeff and the older guy spent some time talking about the reasons why and why not Amazon might want to open a new headquarters in the area --and, near the end of our impromptu visit, I was not particularly surprised when the younger man told me their house was listed on the "Parade of Homes." I sent them a thank-you email when Jeff and I returned home.

With all the really horrifying and unpleasant crap going on in the country, it's cool to get reminders there's still a lot of nice people in the world, and much beauty too.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Sep 2018, 16:24

Jeff and I bought a Blu-Ray player a couple days ago (mainly to replace our broken DVD player). Since we once again have the ability to play DVDs, we got our collection out of storage ... and I was pleasantly surprised to discover a LOT of good stuff I'd completely forgotten about. Back in Loudoun County, there was a bimonthly library sale we'd frequently visit. I remember making some good book scores there, but largely forgot that sometimes they had good DVD bargains too -- entire seasons of shows like South Park, Chappelle's Show and Futurama for only two or three bucks apiece (I know these were the prices because in addition to forgetting I even owned these collections, I'd also forgotten to remove the price stickers after I bought them).