Cool little things

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Cool little things

Post by Jennifer » 04 Jul 2010, 19:30

For things good enough to share but not good enough to warrant their very own thread.

I'll start: I think it's very cool when kids are so young that simple little things still seem like exciting new big deals to them. Just yesterday Jeff and I met up with some friends and their seven-year-old daughter to see some fireworks; these are people we only see a couple times a year because of the distance involved, but the little girl has known us all her life and absolutely loves us. I bought her a diary ($1.99 at a surplus store) -- just a standard little-girl diary, with Disney characters on the front cover, and a lock and key -- and she loved it. She immediately wrote a little paragraph about the play she'd been in the day before.

I remember being that age and thinking a book with a lock on it was the coolest thing ever, and was gratified to see the little girl felt the same way. She asked if I had a diary; I certainly wasn't going to tell her about my obscenity-laden blog, so I reached in my purse and showed her the little leatherbound book I carry for when I come up with good one-liners or column ideas. She looked at the book, then held up the diary I'd just given her and said "Mine's better."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Re: Cool little things

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Jul 2010, 23:59

Our friends have two near-Irish-twins - one girl just turned five in May, the other turning four in June. For the elder girl's birthday, she was given a unicorn-on-a-stick*, while the younger girl was given a pony (with bandana) on a stick. The younger girl, who is remarkably less prissy, and probably would've generally prefered the pony, got sucked into the jealousy thing, and was crying because she wanted the unicorn.

So I picked up the pony and started galloping around (which quickly turned to walking because I do not have the metabolism of a 4-year-old) saying 'woo hoo! this is the best pony ever!' It took a few minutes, but the young'n eventually ran over and picked it up and started saying 'look at my pony, it's the best ever!'.

So yeah, sometimes you have to coax them into it, but it's super cool when kids dig simple stuff.

*Quick note - no, this is not in the best-satay-ever sense.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Jul 2010, 17:14

Okay, this is kind of funny, and there's probably a lesson here about how perception alters opinion: Jeff has the TV on for background noise -- the channel that calls itself "VH1 Classic" because that sounds better than "The Nostalgia Channel for people too old to be cool anymore" -- and I was in the other room and heard what was obviously a Journey concert, and Steve Perry caterwauling about people going their separate ways.

So I walk past the TV, and the camera is zeroing in on the singer, and I cried out "My God! What happened to his face? That's got to be the worst plastic surgery I've ever seen."

That's when Jeff told me Steve Perry has not been the Journey singer for a long time, and the band is now fronted by an uncanny Perry Soundalike from Japan*. So I looked at the guy again -- when I thought he was supposed to be Steve Perry I thought he was a horribly mutilated human being, but once I knew he was a completely different person, from Japan*, I realized he's actually rather nice-looking.

Still, if Steve Perry went under the knife in an attempt to look younger, and came out looking like that, I would absolutely recommend he sue his plastic surgeon.

*EDIT: Actually, he's from the Philippines.
Last edited by Jennifer on 05 Jul 2010, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Jul 2010, 18:28

That is funny. :)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Jul 2010, 22:58

The AV Club just posted a nice dispatch from Comic-Con about a panel featuring Berkeley Breathed. It includes some nice descriptions of the audience he still commands, the notes he used to exchange with Bill Waterson in the 80s & 90s, and what a down-to-earth guy he is.

I'm convinced that actually attending Comic-Con would be an unrivaled nightmare, but little things like seeing the creator of one of the great newspaper comics of yore might almost almost make it worth it.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/comiccon ... ded,43446/
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 25 Jul 2010, 01:24

I'm convinced that actually attending Comic-Con would be an unrivaled nightmare, but little things like seeing the creator of one of the great newspaper comics of yore might almost almost make it worth it.
Agree completely- earlier I saw a blog post about Breathed being at comic-con I thought for a moment, damn! I should have tried to go, but then I remembered, oh yeah, I don't want to be anywhere near that madhouse.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Shem

Post by Shem » 25 Jul 2010, 04:34

First thought: "I don't know what Berkeley Breathed is." Second, after reading first sentence of page on wikipedia: "Oh, it's a who." Third, after the first section: "I still don't get it."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Jul 2010, 17:36

Shem wrote:First thought: "I don't know what Berkeley Breathed is." Second, after reading first sentence of page on wikipedia: "Oh, it's a who." Third, after the first section: "I still don't get it."
Oh, youth.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Jul 2010, 17:51

That's nothing. I showed a clip from Reservoir Dogs to my class this week to illustrate a point, and only one of 22 even knew what movie it was. None of them had actually seen it.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 25 Jul 2010, 17:52

Hugh Akston wrote:That's nothing. I showed a clip from Reservoir Dogs to my class this week to illustrate a point, and only one of 22 even knew what movie it was. None of them had actually seen it.
Good lord. And it's a movie you can probably watch everywhere including youtube.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 25 Jul 2010, 20:48

Hugh Akston wrote:That's nothing. I showed a clip from Reservoir Dogs to my class this week to illustrate a point, and only one of 22 even knew what movie it was. None of them had actually seen it.
Yeah. The Mr. Pink dialogue about tipping is one of the most memorable moments of all cinema. Sadly, I know of many people who have "seen" it yet don't know who Mr. Pink was or anything about the movie really.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 26 Jul 2010, 09:10

What the world needs is a good $3 cigar.

Drew Estate Acid Blondies fill that need nicely.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

mediageek

Post by mediageek » 27 Jul 2010, 14:52

Berkeley Breathed is a genius.

One of the great little thrills I've received was seeing his work incorporated into the utterly charming movie Secondhand Lions.
Palin/Camacho 2012

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Jul 2010, 15:48

Admission. I've never seen it all the way through, although I saw the "Why do I have to be Mr. Pink" scene and the "Let's all get together and torture Tim Roth" scene. And who doesn't like torturing Tim Roth?

Or is it that other guy who's not Tim Roth? Now I don't remember. Too lazy for IMDB.

That said, I only found Outland et al amusing, not awesome.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 27 Jul 2010, 16:16

lunchstealer wrote:
Admission. I've never seen it all the way through, although I saw the "Why do I have to be Mr. Pink" scene and the "Let's all get together and torture Tim Roth" scene. And who doesn't like torturing Tim Roth?

Or is it that other guy who's not Tim Roth? Now I don't remember. Too lazy for IMDB.

That said, I only found Outland et al amusing, not awesome.
Wait, when did we get onto the relative awesomeness of shotguns to the face in space?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Jul 2010, 17:23

Without Googling, I'll confess I've never seen Reservoir Dogs. That was a Tarantino movie, right?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Jul 2010, 22:57

Two items:

1) I compared one of my students' (who may have been flirting with me?) death-look to the one issued by Jennifer Grey in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. She couldn't identify either one.

2) I have lived in LA for six months now, and for the better part of four years previously, but I hadn't ever seen the Hollywood sign until today.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 28 Jul 2010, 00:25

Hugh Akston wrote:Two items:

1) I compared one of my students' (who may have been flirting with me?) death-look to the one issued by Jennifer Grey in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. She couldn't identify either one.

2) I have lived in LA for six months now, and for the better part of four years previously, but I hadn't ever seen the Hollywood sign until today.
What?!?!? I didn't know you lived in LA. I skipped a trip to LA this May. Damn. Now I feel bad.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Jul 2010, 01:06

Next time, sir.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 28 Jul 2010, 01:58

Hugh Akston wrote:Next time, sir.
Crap! I usually visit David and Tammy(the owners of Casa de Pham) once a year. They live in Lancaster so it's easy access to LA for sight seeing. May of 2011? Easier than meeting up in 2012 when the vengeance of the Mayan's catches up to the white man.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Jul 2010, 02:05

Pham Nuwen wrote:
Crap! I usually visit David and Tammy(the owners of Casa de Pham) once a year. They live in Lancaster so it's easy access to LA for sight seeing. May of 2011? Easier than meeting up in 2012 when the vengeance of the Mayan's catches up to the white man.
We shall all meet, by and by.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 28 Jul 2010, 03:05

Hugh Akston wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:
We shall all meet, by and by.
Maybe we should have an L.A. area meetup some time? I had a very nice meeting with Thoreau and his wife a couple years ago before I left for Cambridge.

mediageek

Post by mediageek » 28 Jul 2010, 12:10

Without Googling, I'll confess I've never seen Reservoir Dogs. That was a Tarantino movie, right?
Yep. It was his first movie. It's pretty excellent, despite dragging a bit here and there.
Palin/Camacho 2012

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Jul 2010, 13:28

Jadagul wrote:Maybe we should have an L.A. area meetup some time? I had a very nice meeting with Thoreau and his wife a couple years ago before I left for Cambridge.
I didn't know Dr. T lived in the area. Of course, I didn't know Stevo Darkly lived in St. Louis until the week before I left. I still regret it to this day.

But yes, a meetup would be capital.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jul 2010, 14:33

This is literally a cool thing: I learned only recently that my apartment building's only a few feet away from the bank of a small river or stream; in Connecticut it's not unusual for there to be shallow rivers paved and built over so that they're now underground. The river runs under the street a few yards down from my house.

So I'm walking to the store, and just around the corner from me there's a large grate in the ground, and you can look down through it and see the river many feet below. Also: if it's a hot day but there's even the slightest breeze blowing, you can stand a few feet downwind of that grate and the air blowing off it's a good 20 degrees cooler than the surrounding air.