tio's neato nature thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: tio's neato nature thread

Post by Highway » 08 Aug 2018, 22:09

It really doesn't look like a mayfly. No split tail, and mayflies don't seem to keep their back legs extended when lighting.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Aug 2018, 04:29

I’m going to bet against ichneumon wasp because the long bit on DE’s specimen is the actual abdomen, not an ovipositor like on the wasp.

Could still be a wasp of some sort, but not ichneumon.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 30 Aug 2018, 07:31

Same place, a few months apart. Rain is the best.
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG (8.57 MiB) Viewed 219 times
IMG_0374.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG (4.92 MiB) Viewed 219 times

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Aug 2018, 10:39

It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest;
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 07 Sep 2018, 13:52

Alaska's Dalton highway was just rerouted to avoid a landslide of frozen debris that could intersect the road in as few as three years.

My favorite part is the trees growing on the ice lobe.

"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Sep 2018, 22:25

So I was out with the pupper setting some sprinklers out front when I noticed that the moon and Venus were putting on a good show. So I walked over to a spot where I had a pretty good view past the giant spruces in our yard and sure enough I can also see Saturn and Mars are also looking splendid. And there’s a Southwest flight low on the horizon whose landing lights are adding to the display. Except it’s not moving.

“Hey Siri, what planets are visible now?”

What I thought was Venus because it was so bright was actually Jupiter, and what I thought was a 737’s landing lights because it was so bright was actually Venus.

So from one spot I could see four planets and the Moon and their alignment really demonstrates the arc of the ecliptic across the sky.

And now a polar-orbiting satellite is going over. Nice clear night.
Last edited by lunchstealer on 16 Sep 2018, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2018, 16:35

lunchstealer wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 22:25
So I was out with the pupper setting some sprinklers out front when I noticed that the moon and Venus were putting on a good show. So I walked over to a spot where I had a pretty good view past the giant spruces in our yard and sure enough I can also see Saturn and Mars are also looking splendid. And there’s a Southwest flight low on the horizon whose landing lights are adding to the display. Ecxept it’s not moving.

“Hey Siri, what planets are visible now?”

What I thought was Venus because it was so bright was actually Jupiter, and what I thought was a 737’s landing lights because it was so bright was actually Venus.

So from one spot I could see four planets and the Moon and their alignment really demonstrates the arc of the ecliptic across the sky.

And now a polar-orbiting satellite is going over. Nice clear night.
Wish I was there.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Sep 2018, 11:30

How the octopus got its smarts

Long article on cephalopod neurology. I found the opening quite amusing.
In 2008 the staff at Sea Star Aquarium in Coburg, Germany, had a mystery on their hands. Two mornings in a row, they had arrived at work to find the aquarium eerily silent: the entire electrical system had shorted out. Each time they would reset the system only to find the same eerie silence greeting them the next morning. So on the third night a couple of staff members kept vigil, taking turns to sleep on the floor.

Sure enough the perpetrator was apprehended: Otto, a six-month-old octopus.

He had crawled out of his tank and, using his siphon like a fire hose, aimed it at the overhead light. Apparently it annoyed him or maybe he was just bored. As director Elfriede Kummer told The Telegraph, “Otto is constantly craving for attention and always comes up with new stunts... Once we saw him juggling hermit crabs in his tank”.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT