tio's neato nature thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: tio's neato nature thread

Post by Warren »

I have seen snow every winter of my life. Lots of snow. Uncountable snowdays, Eskimo named varieties of, snowballs, snowmen. I've seen a fuckton of snow is what I'm trying to say here. But I've never seen anything like this. The other night we received a couple inches of accumulation on top of a couple inches of rain. The next day it began to melt off. While the snow was deep an animal walked up our drive and down our walk (avoiding the icy lake in the middle), or perhaps walked up our walk and down our drive, and left it's foot prints. And the snow around those tracks resisted melting like a path of donuts left by Hansel and Gretel to find their way back to the witches house. And what kind of animal walks with only its left feet (or is it the right feet)?

ducktrax.jpg
ducktrax.jpg (331.83 KiB) Viewed 340 times
wabbittrax.jpg
wabbittrax.jpg (314.05 KiB) Viewed 340 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I'm guessing cat, fox, doggo, maybe coyote but the separation is small.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 19:09
I'm guessing cat, fox, doggo, maybe coyote but the separation is small.
I've seen fox around here, and it's be great to have one in our yard, but more likely a cat.

In other news, a frog got himself squished under our garage door. Like oh damn, sorry bud. Now it's been wet as hell, and while most days have been above freezing, I'd have still thought it was too damned cold for frogs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Speaking, as we were two months ago, of foxes, I stepped out the back door with the dogs yesterday and was startled by a short but blood-curdling scream. Loud, like within a house or two of ours. Then a second one... oh okay that's a fox. God I'd forgotten just how unnerving they are.

It's nice because we'd had a bunch living around our old place in Denver proper, and I was pretty sure I'd seen tracks and saw one thing that could've been a fox, but it was an odd angle and not classic coloration so it could've been a large long-haired cat. Then nothing for a long time, then started getting occasional coyote sightings, and was worried they'd chased the foxes away. So it's nice to know that they're still around, even if it does make for a few freaky nighttime experiences.

Youtube link to fox calls - the specific call I heard was the "vixen's scream" which starts around 1:30

EDITED per Warren's feedback.
Last edited by lunchstealer on 11 Mar 2020, 01:45, edited 2 times in total.

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 19:08
Speaking, as we were two months ago, of foxes, I stepped out the back door with the dogs yesterday and was startled by a short but blood-curdling scream. Loud, like within a house or two of ours. Then a second one... oh okay that's a fox. God I'd forgotten just how unnerving they are.

It's nice because we'd had a bunch living around our old place in Denver proper, and I was pretty sure I'd seen tracks and saw one thing that could've been a fox, but it was an odd angle and not classic coloration so it could've been a large long-haired cat. Then nothing for a long time, then started getting occasional coyote sightings, and was worried they'd chased the foxes away. So it's nice to know that they're still around, even if it does make for a few freaky nighttime experiences.

Youtube link to fox calls - the specific call I heard was the "vixen's scream" which starts around 1:30
Try again.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JD

Post by JD »

dbcooper wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 10:44
Trail camera:

https://youtu.be/hW4y2BK4UZU
That is very cool. My wife and I have actually been talking about moving down to that area, and this just makes it look more appealing. Thanks for posting it!
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

You think living bear adjacent appealing?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 12:38
dbcooper wrote:
Trail camera:

That is very cool. My wife and I have actually been talking about moving down to that area, and this just makes it look more appealing. Thanks for posting it!
Warren speaks wisdom.

But that gray fox was super cool. I've seen plenty of red foxes, but never a gray fox - by species, not color, lots of red foxes are gray but the 'gray fox' is a separate genus of fox, and one of only two canids known to climb trees. I did once find a gray fox skull, though, probably about 40-50 miles from there.

And nice job closing out with some Brevard white squirrels! That colormorph is really common around the town of Brevard, about 20 miles west of Hendersonville, so almost undoubtedly part of the same population. They're not albinos, just eastern gray squirrels that are mostly white. A lot of them (including at least one in the video) have a gray patch on the top of their head that sometimes becomes a gray stripe along the top of the back to near the tail.

My grandparents retired to Brevard when I was young, so I spent many weekends and summer trips up there, and Brevard/Asheville/Hendersonville is probably really close to the top of my list of places-I'd-like-to-live-full-time-if-employment-weren't-a-factor.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

JD wrote:
dbcooper wrote:
Trail camera:

My pleasure. Lots of good stuff on that channel.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dbcooper wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 22:44
JD wrote:
dbcooper wrote:
Trail camera:

My pleasure. Lots of good stuff on that channel.
Another good one of a log across a creek in Pennsylvania.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Cheers.