Comics

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: Comics

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hugh Akston wrote:So Eric, what comics is Image doing that are good? I was under the impression that they were kind of flagging. I know Archaia is putting out some good stuff, and Dark Horse has a few tentpoles, but I honestly can't think of an Image title that I have heard people talking about.
Of stuff that's current-ish and that I've read...Chew remains excellent. Saga is getting a lot of attention, at least in places I listen, and the first collection I read through was a delight. Fell is very good, if stalled due to crises in the artist's life. Invincible is still solid from all accounts, even if I'm behind a few volumes. Jack Staff is genuinely neat and fun.

ETA: Oh, and Morning Glories is a weird-ass delight. I picked up the third volume, but I intend to reread the first two before reading it.

*scrounges around further on this terrible site*

Of things I haven't read, I'm interested in Prophet, Bedlam...There's a sequel to Who Is Jake Ellis? Well, heck.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

As of today I am one volume away from completing my set of the Sandman Library 2nd printing from the 90s.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Marvel is finally reprinting the Alan Moore run on Miracleman.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Speaking of Alan Moore (or rather, his absence), I was just now reminded that Top 10: Beyond the Furthest Precinct was terrible fanfic based on the really good series Moore had been writing.

And that's not just hyperbole. It really feels like fanfic to read - "I'm going to reveal the Real Truth about X thing that Moore left mysterious, and it's gonna be HUGE - and Ooh, I'm gonna make half-assed commentary on post-9/11 policy that involves all the characters yelling slogans at each other like something out of a 70s Green Lantern comic!"

Christ, that was bad.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Apparently the new Captain America is kind of an asshole?
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

That's whacky, given that he's a convicted criminal. (At least, part of the time, depending on which retcon is active.) But even back before he got rewritten as a brainwashed crook, he was an idealized freedom-and-justice-and-constitutional rights liberal, like Cap.

Frickin' dipshit writers. Someone bring back J. M. DeMatteis.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I have a feeling that there's some kind of replicon/mind control thing going on, which would be a shame. It would be brave and kind of fascinating to write SamCap as a tuff-on-crime right-winger.

EDIT: Yup, apparently during the AXIS crossover, someone cast a spell or something that inverted heroes' personalities, and thus Sam Eagle was born. Bummer.
Last edited by Hugh Akston on 17 Dec 2014, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ah. After looking into it, those images are from Captain America and the Mighty Avengers, where he's being mind-controlled...right alongside his debut in his own series, where he's perfectly normal. Because that won't confuse new or occasional readers.

Oh, wait, I was thinking Marvel cared about the possibility of new or occasional readers.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Off to the side, Black Panther and Moon Knight catch each other saying, "But I'm Batman..." and start scuffling.
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Moon Knight is awesome.
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Dangerman wrote:Moon Knight is awesome.
I always liked his look but I don't think I have ever actually read anything of his.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Painboy wrote:
Dangerman wrote:Moon Knight is awesome.
I always liked his look but I don't think I have ever actually read anything of his.
Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey recently restarted the Moon Knight series, with Ellis rehabilitating the character, and it's had great reviews (and the excerpts I've seen looked good). Mind, they were only on it for six issues.

I've never really read much with the character.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Bendis seems to have fun with Moon Knight, who showed up in a couple of Ultimate Spider-Man stories. Bendis also wrote a 12-issue run on Moon Knight among the 12,495,203 other titles he was writing.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hugh Akston wrote:Bendis seems to have fun with Moon Knight, who showed up in a couple of Ultimate Spider-Man stories. Bendis also wrote a 12-issue run on Moon Knight among the 12,495,203 other titles he was writing.
Oh, I did read that storyline. I just had no real context for how similar or different that version of Moon Knight was from the 616 version.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

:lol:
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The first collection of the new Ant-Man series is really excellent. It does a good job of filling in backstory and establishing Scott in his new situation without seeming too forced. Also it's really funny. I enjoyed the movie, but this is way better. Easily the best loser superhero book I have ever read, and that includes Fraction's run on Hawkguy.
the innominate one

Post by the innominate one »

Is Hawkguy Hawkeye? (As opposed to Hawkman.)

I wasn't thrilled with the newer Hawkeye comics I've read, and he's one of my favorite characters.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

the innominate one wrote:Is Hawkguy Hawkeye? (As opposed to Hawkman.)

I wasn't thrilled with the newer Hawkeye comics I've read, and he's one of my favorite characters.
Yeah, its a reference to a running joke in the Fraction series.

The series is really good but also weird. If you're not into that style of storytelling I can see where it would be really offputting. Ant-Man is much more straightforward.
the innominate one

I thought so, just verifying.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy »

Hugh Akston wrote:
the innominate one wrote:Is Hawkguy Hawkeye? (As opposed to Hawkman.)

Yeah, its a reference to a running joke in the Fraction series.

The series is really good but also weird. If you're not into that style of storytelling I can see where it would be really offputting. Ant-Man is much more straightforward.
When did Michael Moore become part of the MU?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren
the innominate one

Speaking of M*A*S*H, just saw a clip of Wayne Rogers (Trapper John) talking crazy on Fox News from who knows when.