Comics

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Fin Fang Foom

Re: Comics

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Nov 2010, 16:51

Hugh Akston wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I finished the first Walking Dead HC, and am kind of on the fence about continuing. While the art and some of the situations are pretty good, I can't help but feel like the pacing is way to fast and glossy for a grittier, slower-burning, ongoing survival series. Overall I think things are deployed and wrapped far too quickly.

Has anyone read deeper into it? Does it get better?
Where did that one end (there are several collections out there)?
It ended after they left the farm and just as they had discovered the prison.
I stopped reading when they leave the prison, though I might pick it up again (from the library though). I read it a few years ago, and I remember my problem being the "damn it we have to stick togetherness" of it. It's been a few years though. I've heard it gets more interesting after they left the prison.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 07 Nov 2010, 14:41

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I finished the first Walking Dead HC, and am kind of on the fence about continuing. While the art and some of the situations are pretty good, I can't help but feel like the pacing is way to fast and glossy for a grittier, slower-burning, ongoing survival series. Overall I think things are deployed and wrapped far too quickly.

Has anyone read deeper into it? Does it get better?
Where did that one end (there are several collections out there)?
It ended after they left the farm and just as they had discovered the prison.
I stopped reading when they leave the prison, though I might pick it up again (from the library though). I read it a few years ago, and I remember my problem being the "damn it we have to stick togetherness" of it. It's been a few years though. I've heard it gets more interesting after they left the prison.
I just requested the next volume from the library. For reasons I cannot fathom, several copies are listed in the "nonfiction" section.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Nov 2010, 20:45

I just finished Ex Machina vol 4. Maybe it's an unhealthy interest in politics, but this book is better than most real superhero books out there.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Dec 2010, 22:24

One advantage of buying graphic novels from my local comic shop is the 10% rolling credit I get on my next purchase. I walked out today without paying a dime for Powers HC vol. 4

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 Dec 2010, 12:01

Hugh Akston wrote:One advantage of buying graphic novels from my local comic shop is the 10% rolling credit I get on my next purchase. I walked out today without paying a dime for Powers HC vol. 4
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You pay for your graphic novels? Ha! I read every Sandman, The Walking Dead, and Army of Darkness inside the book stores. No need to buy the cow when you can read the milk for free.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 May 2011, 19:46

If I had my copy of Batman-The Long Halloween, I would have taken it to Earth-2 Comics today to get it signed by Jeph Loeb, and tell him that Ultimatum sucked balls.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 May 2011, 23:19

Hugh Akston wrote:If I had my copy of Batman-The Long Halloween, I would have taken it to Earth-2 Comics today to get it signed by Jeph Loeb, and tell him that Ultimatum sucked balls.
But that Earth2 was the most underrated scifi TV serial of the pre-Firefly era.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 Jun 2011, 20:11

I'm 1/3 of the way through Bendis' run on Daredevil, and the rumors are true. It is one fine piece of comic book writing.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 16 Jun 2011, 23:07

lunchstealer wrote:But that Earth2 was the most underrated scifi TV serial of the pre-Firefly era.
Random digression: I remember seeing, when I was a kid, a made-for-TV movie about a space station/colony called Earth II. There was something about the Red Chinese threatening the station with an orbiting nuclear bomb that the good guys had to disarm.

Some scenes:

"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 11 Sep 2011, 21:39

Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 11 Sep 2011, 21:42

Neitzshean?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 11 Sep 2011, 21:51

Andrew wrote:Neitzshean?
Yeah, man, neat sheen! That silk shirt has a neat sheen and it makes you stronger (if it doesn't kill you first).
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 Feb 2012, 03:38

*sigh* I've heard rumors, but the release of the cover art seems to confirm that this is actually going to happen.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Apr 2012, 17:57

Ed Brubaker is gonna be at my local shop for Free Comic Book Day. That's kind of a big deal.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 May 2012, 14:03

Hey folks, just a reminder that today is Free Comic Book Day. Drop by a comic shop in your area and they will literally (joebiden) give you free stuff.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 May 2012, 16:44

Hugh Akston wrote:Hey folks, just a reminder that today is Free Comic Book Day. Drop by a comic shop in your area and they will literally (joebiden) give you free stuff.
TANSTAAFCB

We grabbed the Buffy, Serenity, Guild, and a few others that looked interesting.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Mar 2013, 21:34

I just read Extremis, the storyline upon which Iron Man 3 will presumably be based. I'm not actually sure how much Warren Ellis I have read over the years, but if this is his usual level of work, he deserves to be cast into Hack Perdition with Grant Morrison and Crazy Frank Miller.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Mar 2013, 21:57

Hugh Akston wrote:I just read Extremis, the storyline upon which Iron Man 3 will presumably be based. I'm not actually sure how much Warren Ellis I have read over the years, but if this is his usual level of work, he deserves to be cast into Hack Perdition with Grant Morrison and Crazy Frank Miller.
I liked Grant Morrison's X-Men run.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Mar 2013, 22:10

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I just read Extremis, the storyline upon which Iron Man 3 will presumably be based. I'm not actually sure how much Warren Ellis I have read over the years, but if this is his usual level of work, he deserves to be cast into Hack Perdition with Grant Morrison and Crazy Frank Miller.
I liked Grant Morrison's X-Men run.
Yeah I'm essentially alone in my opinion of Grant Morrison.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Apr 2013, 02:25

Hey I know we've got some Babylon 5 fans hereabouts. J Michael Strazcynski is gonna be signing at my comic shop on Free Comic Book Day. Let me know if you'd like me to get something signed for you, otherwise I'll probably just go for the comics.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 May 2013, 14:46

Season 8 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is even more densely Whedonesque than the TV series. People without a broad pop-cultural foundation and much experience in Whedon dialogue (to say nothing of Buffyverse backstory) will likely have no idea what's going on. Even I had forgotten who Amy was before I looked her up.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 May 2013, 18:52

Hugh Akston wrote:Season 8 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is even more densely Whedonesque than the TV series. People without a broad pop-cultural foundation and much experience in Whedon dialogue (to say nothing of Buffyverse backstory) will likely have no idea what's going on. Even I had forgotten who Amy was before I looked her up.
She appeared in every season. I think it was only one episode a season, but she appeared in every one. :D

But yeah, I agree. I enjoyed it, myself, though the whole Twilight thing was dubious. (Still, it set up for one of the best comic unreveals I'd seen in awhile, so I can forgive that. :) )
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 01 May 2013, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 May 2013, 18:54

Eric the .5b wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Season 8 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is even more densely Whedonesque than the TV series. People without a broad pop-cultural foundation and much experience in Whedon dialogue (to say nothing of Buffyverse backstory) will likely have no idea what's going on. Even I had forgotten who Amy was before I looked her up.
She appeared in every season. I think it was only one episode a season, but she appeared in every one. :D
Yeah but many of those times she was a rat.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 May 2013, 19:03

Hugh Akston wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Yeah but many of those times she was a rat.
No, specifically as a human, played by Elizabeth Anne Allen. Though, her fourth season appearance lasted for mere seconds. It was the one where Willow's offhand remarks caused things to happen, and she's talking about how Amy could at least do magic properly. "One minute she's human," and POOF, Amy (out of Willow's sight) turns human again and has just enough time to look amazed and delighted before Willow continues, "- next minute she's a rat" and Amy poofs back.

Though, checking, I'm wrong. No fifth season human appearance for Amy.

(I actually had my own fan-theory that Amy never came back, and magic-druggie Willow instead accidentally summoned some demon or whatnot that imitated her...and that Willow was too far gone to notice that the girl whose most useful spell was ratting herself three years before can suddenly, with little effort, throw around as much magic as Willow. Can't really make it fit with Season 8, mind.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 May 2013, 00:58

So Eric, what comics is Image doing that are good? I was under the impression that they were kind of flagging. I know Archaia is putting out some good stuff, and Dark Horse has a few tentpoles, but I honestly can't think of an Image title that I have heard people talking about.