Comics

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
J sub D

Comics

Post by J sub D »

WONDER WOMAN Gets a New Costume
Not too shabby for a 69 year old broad.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Re: Comics

Post by Hugh Akston »

While I agree that WW is sorely in need of a reboot, I'm not sure I like the direction that Straczynski is taking her. There is plenty of gold to be mined from the "Amazon princess the patriarchal world" core of her character. The first thing to settle is her powers. Can she fly or does she use the invisible jet? Is she bullet-proof or is is just her bracelets? Is she Superman strong or just 70% Superman? Etc. etc.

Also, Jubilee is gonna be pissed when she finds out someone stole her costume.

EDIT: at least the boots are boots and not heels. Score one for girl comics.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

A bit generic (why so red-heavy?), and the jacket is such retro-early-90s-design. Not exactly the Electric Superman costume, but not something that will stick. EDIT: Of course, Jim Lee.

And as much as I like JMS's writing, this will likely be true of any changes he makes to WW. His run on Spider-man is pretty much ignored, more because he succumbed to the "re-invent the character!" urge than anything else.

The outfit will look nice on cosplayers at conventions, though.

EDIT: OOFS on the rewrite of the continuity. And how does someone wearing that belt "pass unnoticed" just by closing the jacket? :D
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I'm mixed, reading the whole article. I'm not clear whether this is just a long arc that will result in the restoration of the status quo, or a case of "I wanted to write this badass female street vigilante, but they only let me write Wonder Woman."

rana

Post by rana »

I don't like it at all.
Superheroes are supposed to look like superheroes- not regular people with questionable taste in clothing.
PLUS, female superheroes with a rockin' bodies are supposed to wear skimpy, tight outfits! On this, there can be no debate.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Well, it's form-fitting. It'd be a sight on someone with a rockin' body. :)

But yeah, it's an attempt to give a superhero a goofy get-up that doesn't look like a goofy get-up, forgetting that people like goofy get-ups.

Could be worse, though - her Violet Lantern costume made me facepalm...

EDIT: Chris Sims suggests how it could be worse: http://www.the-isb.com/?p=4451

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I would much much much rather see this gig go to Joss Whedon than Straczynski. Not that the latter can't write. But strong female characters, good central conflicts, and mindfulness about continuity are hallmarks of Joss Whedon's writing.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

You all know where you can find me.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Number 6 wrote:You all know where you can find me.
Hot Topic?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Linda Carter was definitive.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
Hot Topic?
Well, I think we all know what has to be done.

Shem

Post by Shem »

This is pretty much exactly what Sekowsky did in the late 60s to try and make Wonder Woman more in line with what comic book writers supposed was the cutting edge of modern gender relations. Everyone hated it, including feminists, because he wound up gutting everything that made the character who she was. But then, if DC didn't screw up like this, where would they find fodder for their universe-resetting crossovers every 5-15 years?

(Even so, I still think I like it better than the Marvel, "cover your ears and say 'LALALALALA THAT DID NOT HAPPEN LALALALALA RETCON LALALA'" method.)
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
Hot Topic?
:D
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hugh Akston wrote:I would much much much rather see this gig go to Joss Whedon than Straczynski. Not that the latter can't write. But strong female characters, good central conflicts, and mindfulness about continuity are hallmarks of Joss Whedon's writing.
Whedon seems to need ensemble casts. He'd have to pretty much invent one for Wonder Woman.
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 01 Jul 2010, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Shem wrote:This is pretty much exactly what Sekowsky did in the late 60s to try and make Wonder Woman more in line with what comic book writers supposed was the cutting edge of modern gender relations.
Was that the "take away her powers and have her be the damsel in distress on every other cover" era?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Eric the .5b wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I would much much much rather see this gig go to Joss Whedon than Straczynski. Not that the latter can't write. But strong female characters, good central conflicts, and mindfulness about continuity are hallmarks of Joss Whedon's writing.
Whedon seems to need ensemble casts. He'd have to pretty much invent one for Wonder Woman.
Was there much of an ensemble for Fray?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Good thought - that's only Melaka, her sister, her demon Watcher, the little girl, and the fish guy. Small for Whedon.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

On the Serenity DVD, in Whedon's commentary on one of the deleted scenes (of the 'call-girl' on her home planet), he remarks that the studio said 'This looks like Wonder Woman IN SPACE', and Whedon's response was along the lines 'uh, yeah. And?'
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

Call me a knee-jerk reactionary, but I liked her old costume a lot better.

I agree with rana and Warren.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

(WRT comic book character aging)

...Hence the convenience of the Ultimate Marvel reboot. Most of the X-Men start the run in their late teens. Mind, they couldn't seem to settle between whether they wanted to graduate the huge subtext between the Ultimate versions of Xavier and Magneto to text or keep randomly insisting that Xavier is a philandering skirt-chaser.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Eric the .5b wrote:Mind, they couldn't seem to settle between whether they wanted to graduate the huge subtext between the Ultimate versions of Xavier and Magneto to text or keep randomly insisting that Xavier is a philandering skirt-chaser.
subtext?

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hugh Akston wrote:subtext?
At the last point I'd read, they'd never out-and-out said those two had had an affair. Everything around mentions of them before the falling-out (not to mention at least one depiction of Magneto's vengefulness at the falling-out) was fraught with subtext, though.

EDIT: Especially the Legion arc. They totally play up Xavier's son's and ex-wife's resentment at his relationship with Magneto...then the writers started depicting Xavier as having banged virtually every female mutant he ran into before starting the X-Men.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I didn't read it that way. But then I don't look for sweaty Danger Room encounters in everything I read. NTTAWWT.

But sometimes a foot-long retractable claw is just a foot-long retractable claw.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hugh Akston wrote:I didn't read it that way. But then I don't look for sweaty Danger Room encounters in everything I read. NTTAWWT.
*shrug* I don't, either.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Eric the .5b wrote:then the writers started depicting Xavier as having banged virtually every female mutant he ran into before starting the X-Men.
Considering his powers . . . that sounds kind of rape-y.

I'm glad all I know of comics are some graphic novels such as Marvel Zombies. Xavier gets eaten in the latter.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex