the list of those things which are not food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by JasonL » 03 Oct 2018, 10:34

dhex wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 23:05
JasonL wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 21:35
I’ve always known this as “cookie dip”. Served with cookie sticks. You know. As a dip.
What the fuck

That is some civet poop coffee for the rascal scooter squad bullshit
It shows up at any event where marmish office ladies bring food.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Oct 2018, 10:49

JasonL wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 10:34
marmish office ladies
I am not familiar with this descriptor. I assume it was authored on the spot and is not used in general conversation. Would "office ladies" specifically refer to "office administrators" (nee secretaries)? In what ways is their marmishness manifest?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Oct 2018, 11:00

they're putting chocolate chips in cream cheese for starters. it's basically self-harm.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Oct 2018, 11:01

Conservative older women who work in the office is all I meant there.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Oct 2018, 11:13

roger roger
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Oct 2018, 11:26

I don't know if it's pregnancy hormones or my usual lack of taste, but this cookie dip with animal crackers sounds amazing.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 Oct 2018, 13:09

dhex wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 11:00
they're putting chocolate chips in cream cheese for starters. it's basically self-harm.
How can this surprise you? Have you not seen cannoli dip before?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Oct 2018, 13:41

Is the cannoli the most overrated dessert concept in history? Could be, could be.

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Oct 2018, 13:53

cannolis are bullshit, but at least they use marscapone.

look upon this shit, yo:

https://www.justataste.com/wp-content/u ... recipe.jpg

fuuuuuuck that to death with a lava cock
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Oct 2018, 14:10

Yeah, gross. It's a state fair food that should be relegated to life next to the fried twinkie. Nobody really acts like its some kind of ancient family recipe like they do with cannoli though. Yo, that's a frosting chalupa. I don't care if your nonna made the wrapper on a broom handle it's still just a frosting chalupa.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Oct 2018, 14:22

JasonL wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 13:41
Is the cannoli the most overrated dessert concept in history? Could be, could be.
I'm gonna go with molten lava cake. It may not go the distance like the cannoli, but unlike the cannoli it tastes of sadness.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Oct 2018, 14:25

hahha frosting chalupa

(fair food is mostly scary nonsense but fried oreos are supremely dope.)

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Oct 2018, 02:59

potato-pineapple casserole.

It wasn't labeled.

No FDA warning.

The chunks of pineapple looked like maybe chunks of chicken, which one might find in some sort of pot luck casserole.

This is Trump's America.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Oct 2018, 05:00

JasonL wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 14:10
Yeah, gross. It's a state fair food that should be relegated to life next to the fried twinkie. Nobody really acts like its some kind of ancient family recipe like they do with cannoli though. Yo, that's a frosting chalupa. I don't care if your nonna made the wrapper on a broom handle it's still just a frosting chalupa.
I would love to see Jason shouting that at some dude on Arthur Avenue.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Oct 2018, 10:38

i'd be happy to translate guidoese to american in this exchange.

G: "I CAN'T EVEN FUCKING UNDERSTAND WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE SAYING RIGHT NOW"

me: jason, he disagrees with your central premise.

me: vito, HE'S NOT SAYING NOTHING HE'S JUST SAYING IT'S TOO FUCKING MUCH YA KNOW!?"

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 04 Oct 2018, 13:23

Warren wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 14:22
JasonL wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 13:41
I'm gonna go with molten lava cake. It may not go the distance like the cannoli, but unlike the cannoli it tastes of sadness.
I'd go with cheesecake of any variety. That stuff is in 95% of restaurants of any price-bracket, and has leached it's way into cheesecake-flavored stuff like ice cream and yogurt and pudding.

When it's good, it's good, in moderation. But supermarket cheesecake is the high-school sweetheart turned job-juggling alcoholic single parent living in a trailer.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Nov 2018, 17:19

At an Asian supermarket the other day, while walking past the meat section, I saw several packages of what I first thought were oddly colored sausages, until I noticed the sign reading "PORK UTERI." (shudder)

I know this is irrational of me -- from a non-carnivorous perspective, why should eating an animal's reproductive organs (which I will not do) be any more disgusting than eating pieces of animal muscle (which I do multiple times a week)? I am perfectly aware of this discrepancy but even so -- eeeeeeew.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 05 Nov 2018, 18:12

Jennifer wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 17:19
At an Asian supermarket the other day, while walking past the meat section, I saw several packages of what I first thought were oddly colored sausages, until I noticed the sign reading "PORK UTERI." (shudder)

I know this is irrational of me -- from a non-carnivorous perspective, why should eating an animal's reproductive organs (which I will not do) be any more disgusting than eating pieces of animal muscle (which I do multiple times a week)? I am perfectly aware of this discrepancy but even so -- eeeeeeew.
Eh, organ meats are a lost item in American cookery. Chitterlings, cocks combs, pigs trotters, various types of land oyster were all once enjoyed, or at least viewed as food. Now they are mostly relegated to feeding our dogs and cats which we also don't eat.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Nov 2018, 18:17

Kwix wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 18:12
Jennifer wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 17:19

Eh, organ meats are a lost item in American cookery. Chitterlings, cocks combs, pigs trotters, various types of land oyster were all once enjoyed, or at least viewed as food. Now they are mostly relegated to feeding our dogs and cats which we also don't eat.
I know (intellectually, I mean), yet I remain grossed out. I have no doubt whatsoever that if this were Ye Olden Days, where I have the one and ONLY one pig which is all the meat me and my family will have throughout the winter (and that family would be much larger than my current "two adults and that's all" household because reliable contraception wasn't a thing), I'd figure out ways to use every last scrap of that pig.

Luckily, I live in an era where I can afford to be choosy -- heck, I don't even like the white-meat parts of the chicken. (I mean, I don't dislike white meat, but IMO it's dry and less flavorful than the thighs and drumsticks.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Nov 2018, 18:26

The 'neighborhood walmart' mostly-grocery store near me has chicken feet and calls them 'chicken paws' which seems wtf by walmart standards. Asian marts, sure, but walmart?

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Nov 2018, 18:26

Ever since I saw pig uterus for sale in our Asian market, I've secretly wanted to try it JUST ONCE. Same thing with balut. I think it's disgusting and I know I'll hate it, but the competitive idiot in me says that if other people eat it I have to eat it too.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Nov 2018, 18:28

Ellie wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 18:26
Ever since I saw pig uterus for sale in our Asian market, I've secretly wanted to try it JUST ONCE. Same thing with balut. I think it's disgusting and I know I'll hate it, but the competitive idiot in me says that if other people eat it I have to eat it too.
Balut = NOPE

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Nov 2018, 18:36

I would need to be in an extreme peer pressure situation to force myself to do it. But I'll be sad if I die without trying it. I'm just as God made me.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Nov 2018, 19:21

Outside of a literal facing-starvation situation, I can't see myself ever trying balut. And the only way I'd realistically consider trying pork uterus in a non-emergency situation would be if, say, a really good Asian-cuisine cook invited me over for dinner, and served a dish containing it, only chopped and shredded in such a way that you can't tell what kind of meat it is. (Similar to how when Jeff and I make chicken paprikash, we cook it until the chicken meat is absolutely shredded, to the point where you cant possibly tell if it was originally from a thigh, or a drumstick, or whatever.) And also, this hypothetical cook would only tell me the dish contained "pork," but didn't mention which particular cut of meat it was until after I'd eaten it and presumably discovered I liked it.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 05 Nov 2018, 19:25

Jennifer wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 18:17

Luckily, I live in an era where I can afford to be choosy -- heck, I don't even like the white-meat parts of the chicken. (I mean, I don't dislike white meat, but IMO it's dry and less flavorful than the thighs and drumsticks.)
This is objective fact.

(This isn't me being goofy. Those things are measurable and quantifiable and you are correct.)