the list of those things which are not food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Nov 2018, 19:31

Ellie wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 18:36
I would need to be in an extreme peer pressure situation to force myself to do it. But I'll be sad if I die without trying it. I'm just as God made me.
BALUT PRESSURING PEERS = NOPE NOT PEERS ANYMORE
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Nov 2018, 19:40

Jadagul wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 19:25
Jennifer wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 18:17

Luckily, I live in an era where I can afford to be choosy -- heck, I don't even like the white-meat parts of the chicken. (I mean, I don't dislike white meat, but IMO it's dry and less flavorful than the thighs and drumsticks.)
This is objective fact.

(This isn't me being goofy. Those things are measurable and quantifiable and you are correct.)
I remain bemused by the fact that white meat is considered superior to dark, and generally costs more--even the point where restaurants and frozen heat-n-serve meals will BRAG about the fact that this-here chicken dish uses "all white meat."

My best guess is, this is a remnant of the time when, like, "this one single chicken" is the entire meal for a family, and the breast (white meat) is the single biggest piece of the chicken, therefore the breast was the most desirable piece, which somehow morphed into "white meat is the BEST part of the chicken," rather than merely "the single biggest part."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Nov 2018, 19:45

I will take AAAAAALLLLLLL your chicken breast. I like it way better than any other parts.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Nov 2018, 20:06

Jennifer wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 19:40
Jadagul wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Luckily, I live in an era where I can afford to be choosy -- heck, I don't even like the white-meat parts of the chicken. (I mean, I don't dislike white meat, but IMO it's dry and less flavorful than the thighs and drumsticks.)
This is objective fact.

(This isn't me being goofy. Those things are measurable and quantifiable and you are correct.)
I remain bemused by the fact that white meat is considered superior to dark, and generally costs more--even the point where restaurants and frozen heat-n-serve meals will BRAG about the fact that this-here chicken dish uses "all white meat."

My best guess is, this is a remnant of the time when, like, "this one single chicken" is the entire meal for a family, and the breast (white meat) is the single biggest piece of the chicken, therefore the breast was the most desirable piece, which somehow morphed into "white meat is the BEST part of the chicken," rather than merely "the single biggest part."
It was when low-fat became the mantra of food. Breast meat has very low fat (half of why it has very low taste and very low not-dry) so it was the 'healthiest' so it was the 'best'. Also it's somewhat easier to cook with because it is one big piece and doesn't have much connective tissue (the other half of why very low taste and very low not-dry) so I suspect some places and recipes played it up as 'best' because it simplified cooking.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Nov 2018, 21:06

Ellie wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 19:45
I will take AAAAAALLLLLLL your chicken breast. I like it way better than any other parts.
Ellie can't have it all because I want some too. I do not care for dark meat.

And sous vide cooking of chicken breasts at about 148 degrees for 2 hours keeps it from being dry and overcooked.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 06 Nov 2018, 02:39

Highway wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 21:06
Ellie wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 19:45
Ellie can't have it all because I want some too. I do not care for dark meat.

And sous vide cooking of chicken breasts at about 148 degrees for 2 hours keeps it from being dry and overcooked.
I like a well cooked chicken breast, moist, juicy, soft as buttah. It is however inferior to all other poultry products in flavor.
What breasts have going for them is a lack of bones and the ability to blend into any dish.

Though if you like the flavor of chicken breast with a bit more tooth, I strongly suggest ruffed grouse breasts.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 Nov 2018, 03:57

lunchstealer wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 20:06
Jennifer wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 19:40
Jadagul wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

This is objective fact.

It was when low-fat became the mantra of food. Breast meat has very low fat (half of why it has very low taste and very low not-dry) so it was the 'healthiest' so it was the 'best'. Also it's somewhat easier to cook with because it is one big piece and doesn't have much connective tissue (the other half of why very low taste and very low not-dry) so I suspect some places and recipes played it up as 'best' because it simplified cooking.

Also, if you don't like the flavor of meat but want to eat meat, chicken breast is a pretty decent option. Because it has very little flavor, you see.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Nov 2018, 08:49

Kwix wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 02:39
What breasts have going for them is a lack of bones and the ability to blend into any dish.
Bingo. Chicken white meat's lack of flavor is a feature not a bug. You're not going to make Cordon Bleu, Chicken Parmesan, or Chicken Marsala with drumsticks.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

dhex

Post by dhex » 06 Nov 2018, 10:09

breast (meat) is best.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 Nov 2018, 14:16

I like both white & dark chicken. Dark is deffo more flavorful, but yeah, flattened breasts to stuff & roll or turn into cutlets for sandwiches or parm is a thing.

Regarding pig uteri, I'd probably have no issues with it since I've done home made sausage with natural casings, and you know what those are.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex