the list of those things which are not food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Post by Sandy » 28 Jun 2017, 10:40

JasonL wrote:I'd never heard of donkey sauce until now. I can't do fieri for more than 1.5 microseconds. Aioli is mayo. All is mayo. lol nothing matters.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Jun 2017, 10:45

I only know about Donkey Sauce because of this masterpiece.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Jun 2017, 10:45

Mo wrote:I only know about Donkey Sauce because of this masterpiece.
What accounts for the vast difference between the Donkey Sauce recipe you’ve published and the Donkey Sauce in your restaurant? Why has the hearty, rustic appeal of roasted-garlic mayonnaise been replaced by something that tastes like Miracle Whip with minced raw garlic?

And when we hear the words Donkey Sauce, which part of the donkey are we supposed to think about?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Jun 2017, 10:53

I even used to semi watch Diners Drive-Ins and Dives.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Jun 2017, 11:12

JasonL wrote:It would be hard to find an actual mexican street taco without it. Onions and cilantro and possibly crema. Don't come at me with iceberg which is not food.
Considering it's impossible to find an "actual mexican street taco" in the first place here, I'll have to take your word for it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 28 Jun 2017, 11:21

nicole wrote:I even used to semi watch Diners Drive-Ins and Dives.
Noooooooooo. My estimation of you just dropped 10 points. Please tell me it was part of a drinking game.

Heard from locals (that were at restaurants when he was taping shows) that Mr. Guy is a homophobic, bigoted prima donna
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Jun 2017, 11:36

pistoffnick wrote:Heard from locals (that were at restaurants when he was taping shows) that Mr. Guy is a homophobic, bigoted prima donna
This is my surprised face.

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Jun 2017, 12:12

pistoffnick wrote:
nicole wrote:I even used to semi watch Diners Drive-Ins and Dives.
Noooooooooo. My estimation of you just dropped 10 points. Please tell me it was part of a drinking game.

Heard from locals (that were at restaurants when he was taping shows) that Mr. Guy is a homophobic, bigoted prima donna
Lol a drinking game would have been more involvement, really. I used to sometimes have the Food Network on for background noise.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Jun 2017, 13:55

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Olive Garden’s same-store sales increased 4.4 percent in the fourth quarter ended May 28, parent company Darden Restaurants Inc. said on Tuesday.

It was the 11th consecutive positive quarter for the casual-dining Italian chain, and arguably its best. Darden CEO Gene Lee said Olive Garden’s performance bested industry metrics by 590 basis points during the period.

The reason? Millennials apparently love the chain.

“Contrary to popular belief, Millennials still like going to restaurants,” Lee said during an earnings call. “Millennials still want to come to casual dining. Thirty percent of our guests are Millennials, compared to 24 percent of the overall population. So we over-index with Millennials.”
http://www.nrn.com/sales-trends/olive-g ... e-4q-sales

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 28 Jun 2017, 14:54

Millennials giveth; Millennials also taketh away.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jun 2017, 15:09

My local observations would suggest millennials love them some red lobster too. Used to be a Darden joint (Olive Garden ownership group) but no longer.

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Jun 2017, 15:18

I honestly have no memory of the food the one time I went to an Olive Garden. Capital Grille is pretty good though.

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Jun 2017, 15:47

nicole wrote:Yeah it just tastes like soap. I love tacos but I hate people who ruin them with cilantro. Including the otherwise delicious place around the corner which puts in like massive cilantro stems. (The stems are noticeably grosser.)
Team cilantro is soap. It's genetic. (seriously)
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Jun 2017, 15:49

Olive garden is a dick tumor
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 28 Jun 2017, 15:52

I can't even remember the last corporate-chain restaurant I was in. Maybe a Pizzeria Uno a few years ago?

Actually, no, strike that. I'll hit up Panera Bread on occasion, if I'm in a strange place and other delis look sketchy.

I do own a TV though.

</signaling>
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 28 Jun 2017, 16:02

dhex wrote:Olive garden is a dick tumor
Some dick tumors can be benign, though. Olive Garden metastasizes until it kills all good taste in a 12 block radius.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 28 Jun 2017, 16:07

Sandy wrote:
dhex wrote:Olive garden is a dick tumor
Some dick tumors can be benign, though. Olive Garden metastasizes until it kills all good taste in a 12 block radius.
Other tumors spring up. TGI Fridays. Chilis. Outback Steakhouse. On the Border. Applebees.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 28 Jun 2017, 17:19

JasonL wrote:It would be hard to find an actual mexican street taco without it. Onions and cilantro and possibly crema. Don't come at me with iceberg which is not food.
I rarely (but not never) run across cilantro in mexican food. (The only place it's really an issue is Chipotle, which I couldn't eat at until I learned you can get plain rice there).

I have a much bigger issue in Thai food.

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Jun 2017, 17:25

Jadagul wrote:
I rarely (but not never) run across cilantro in mexican food. (The only place it's really an issue is Chipotle, which I couldn't eat at until I learned you can get plain rice there).

Ha I was going to say the same about Thai.

Although fortunately at least for the dishes I seem to get it seems to be used more as garnish and is easy enough to pick off.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jun 2017, 17:26

Jadagul wrote:

americanized mexican, notable for crunchy taco shells and tons of cheese on everything, has expunged cilantro because everything has to taste like cheese and salt and nothing else. Any kind of taqueria where you can get nasty bits on tacos like tripe, tongue, head will have pretty much corn tortillas, the meat filling, onions and cilantro with crema and salsa on offer.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 28 Jun 2017, 17:44

JasonL wrote:
Jadagul wrote:

americanized mexican, notable for crunchy taco shells and tons of cheese on everything, has expunged cilantro because everything has to taste like cheese and salt and nothing else. Any kind of taqueria where you can get nasty bits on tacos like tripe, tongue, head will have pretty much corn tortillas, the meat filling, onions and cilantro with crema and salsa on offer.
Again, I've never had much trouble avoiding the cilantro.

Have more trouble avoiding the corn tortillas. Which aren't nearly as bad, but who would want a corn tortilla when you can have a flour tortilla instead?

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Jun 2017, 18:08

IDKWTSTTJ. Frankly, I have a bigger issue with the 3 lbs of onions on street tacos that the cilantro.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Jun 2017, 18:12

Mo wrote:IDKWTSTTJ. Frankly, I have a bigger issue with the 3 lbs of onions on street tacos that the cilantro.
That's an IDK moment not because it's insane, but because holy shit J can be basic?

Mrs lunch hates cilantro and non-shell corn tortillas. It makes me sad.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Jun 2017, 18:16

lunchstealer wrote:
Mo wrote:IDKWTSTTJ. Frankly, I have a bigger issue with the 3 lbs of onions on street tacos that the cilantro.
That's an IDK moment not because it's insane, but because holy shit J can be basic?
Yeah, that is blowing my mind.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 28 Jun 2017, 18:48

thoreau wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Yeah, that is blowing my mind.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
*shrug* corn tortillas taste nasty. Which is weird, because corn tortilla chips are great.